• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Making cities livable doesn't even involve lowering the already fairly low crime rate. It involves controlling the ballooning cost of rent and housing in major urban areas.

Trump has never mentioned doing anything to help this at all.

Have been worrying about my parents all night. Started a small business, both diabetec, finally got good affordable coverage last year. Before the ACA, right when they started the business, my dad had a staph infection that required surgery and a stroke while uninsured. Cost over 150k and nearly wiped them out financially. They had to rely on trips to India for healthcare. Now they have regular check ups and my brother is on their plan. How many years will the GOP shave off their lives? It's just depressing to think about.

Have been worrying about my parents all night. Started a small business, both diabetec, finally got good affordable coverage last year. Before the ACA, right when they started the business, my dad had a staph infection that required surgery and a stroke while uninsured. Cost over 150k and nearly wiped them out financially. They had to rely on trips to India for healthcare. Now they have regular check ups and my brother is on their plan. How many years will the GOP shave off their lives? It's just depressing to think about.

My Grandpa relies on Medicare and Medicaid to not have to live in a home :(

If they start cutting the amount of hours he can have a home aid come help my Grandma care for him... she can't care for him on her own without that help. He hasn't been as healthy as he was this last year since he started getting an aid come. He's fallen less, he's more alert, and just generally in a better position. My Grandma too. She was sick all the time before, tired, and fed up, but she's doing alright now with the added help.

UberTag

Also, liberals should have bought all inauguration tickets to just drown Trump in boos.
Wouldn't they just edit out the boos in post-production?
That's what the WWE does when people boo Roman Reigns.

Think of this on a grander scale...

yFzLMFF.gif

dramatis

Melania Trump is Getting A Glam Room In the White House
Michelle Obama had her vegetable garden, Eleanor Roosevelt could be found in the conscientious kitchen she established for Depression-sensitive meals, and Melania Trump will reportedly have a glam room where she will spend at least an hour and 15 minutes of what her makeup artist, Nicole Bryl, calls “uninterrupted focus,” every day to bring her look together. We can only imagine what the room will require: Though gold seems to fit the bill, Bryl recently said in an interview that Mrs. Trump has asked for “the most perfect lighting scenario.”

A glam room involves more than your average mirror above a sink or vanity. Just ask a long line of modern-day glam room queens. Mariah Carey, for example, has abutted her marble-topped bathroom island with a chaise lounge and gilded side table. Céline Dion’s chandelier-topped bathtub featured flanked wooden relief carvings. Donatella Versace has a tendency for black leather finishes in her bathroom, along with a Buddha reclining in a pose more Odalisque than Zen. And, for the best view and lighting, Kris Jenner’s every bathroom cabinet and wall is mirrored, with the blank spaces occupied by black-and-white glam shots of her and her family.

These are the hallmarks one might expect of a diva, but the role of First Lady is quite another thing. Which is to say that 1600 Pennsylvania is about to see more change than just a bathroom makeover. Here’s hoping that following her blowout, Melania Trump will be ready to roll up her sleeves and put her freshly manicured fingers to work.
Michelle was about health and lifestyle and community, as reflected by her garden addition. Hillary was more focused on her husband than people think now; her major addition to the White House was a music room where Clinton could play his sax.

Meanwhile, Melania wants a glam room.

In the latest PodSaveAmerica, Obama named 5 rising Democratic stars
Jason Kander, Mayor Eric Garcetti (Los Angeles), Mayor Kasim Reed (Atlanta), Senator Michael Bennet (CO), and Kamala Harris (CA)

Would've liked to see him mention one or two more women, but that's a pretty good list. Michael Bennet is a little surprising - you don't hear much about him IMO

I'm no fan of Bernie, but I like his message for today
Today is going to be a tough day for millions of Americans including myself. Our response has got to be not to throw up our hands in despair, not to give up, but in fact to fight back as effectively and as vigorously as we can. Our job is to keep our eyes on the prize, and the prize is that we will continue fighting for a government that represents all of us and not just the 1%. We're going to go forward in the fight for economic, social, environmental and racial justice. That's who we are. That's what we're going to do. We are not giving up.

Never stop fighting. Never give up. Never fall into a cycle of cynicism and despair.

Dierce

I'm no fan of Bernie, but I like his message for today

Never stop fighting. Never give up. Never fall into a cycle of cynicism and despair.

Very true although I will never forgive Sanders for helping spread the bullshit argument of 'economic anxiety.' It is borderline being an apologist for racism.

Protesters block entrances to inauguration, set fires, vandalize

Protesters who had promised to shut down the city for the inauguration were successful at several security checkpoints Friday morning, as they slowed crowds from entering onto the Mall and, in one spot, stopped them completely.

“Shut it down!” protesters shouted at the checkpoint at John Marshall Park. There, five black men stood at the front of the crowd, chained together, blocking the path.

Brought to D.C. from places across the country, the five men were protesting on behalf of the Black Lives Matter movement. As they stood together, they shouted that by protesting, “all we have to lose is our chains.”
As protestors at the spot shouted “This is what democracy looks like,” a Trump supporter countered. He pointed to the other side of the fence and said, “This is what democracy looks like but I can’t get to it because of you!”

Michael Henning came from Dalton, Ohio, to see Trump sworn in and said he was concerned with how the police handled the situation.

“We drove 20 hours and now we can’t get in,” Henning said. “Everyone should have just brought guns and had it out, I’d be happy if they just dropped a bomb on them.”

Necrovex

Would've liked to see him mention one or two more women, but that's a pretty good list. Michael Bennet is a little surprising - you don't hear much about him IMO

I'm a personal fan of Kirsten Gillibrand. Though I would love to see Harris make headway. Her or Gillibrand winning the 2020 primary would be a joyous occasion.

Bennet seems to be pretty well-liked in inside circles.

It always struck me as odd that Bennet won a really hard campaign in 2010 as a non-elected incumbent whereas an institution like Udall went down in 2014. Seems similar to Kaine and Warner, where Kaine was typically seen as the weaker candidate but won easily in 2012 while Warner struggled and nearly lost in 2014.

It always struck me as odd that Bennet won a really hard campaign in 2010 as a non-elected incumbent whereas an institution like Udall went down in 2014. Seems similar to Kaine and Warner, where Kaine was typically seen as the weaker candidate but won easily in 2012 while Warner struggled and nearly lost in 2014.
Comparison seems a bit off, since Kaine won in a presidential year while Bennet won in a midterm Republican wave, which is much more impressive impressive imo. It's possible Kaine loses in 2014 and Warner wins easily in 2012, just given how voting patterns work.

Looks like @POTUS and @WhiteHouse automatically changed their handles to @POTUS44 and @ObamaWhiteHouse respectively, making unfollowing unnecessary I guess.

Good. Make Trump re-earn all those followers.

EDIT: It's funny @WhiteHouse with like 150 followers. I know it'll grow, but still.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

The explination is entirely in their opponents. 2010 was much easier for democrats because the republican candidate for governor was neck deep in scandal, and 2016 republicans had to go with their like 15th choice after every single other potential candidate turned down the chance to run, and the national party threw him under the bus immediately to focus on other races.

Gardner in 2014 however was the best candidate I've seen republicans run for senate, if only for his fantastic and consistent lieing skills, and Udall made the mistake of trying to call out those lies on his abortion possitions too much.

I understand why from the outside Bennet seems like a really strong candidate in Colorado, but he really isn't, though like Kaine he does make for a fantastic fundraiser. If there's one thing he knows how to do better than most every one else in the senate, it's buddying up to rich people, which I don't say entirely as a negative.

I wouldn't be suprised if his particular brand of politicing skills moves him up the senate leadership ladder, but he would be an absolutely terrible choice for something like president.

Clarence Thomas has to be the only black man in America who got credibly accused of sexual assault by a white woman and everyone forgot about it literally a week later.

Gruco

Banned
The final two paragraphs from Josh Marshall's latest: A Few Thoughts on Entering the Trump Era

And yet here we have the opportunity to be its guardians and protectors at a unique moment, perhaps a moment of especial peril. Who would not embrace that challenge? We know the curse: may you live in interesting times. We are living in interesting times. Most of us would not have chosen it. But we have it. I think many of us look back at critical momentous moments in our history, the Civil War, World War II, the Civil Rights Movement and other comparable passages in the country's history and think, what would I have done? Where would I have been? Well, now's your moment to find out. We are living in interesting times. We should embrace it rather than feel afraid or powerless. We have a fabric of 240 years of republican government behind us. We have the tools we need.

This isn't naiveté. It's not any willful looking away from anything that is before us. It's being ready. It is embracing the challenge of the moment rather than cowering. It's having some excitement and gratitude for living in a moment when a new and potent challenge to preserving who we are has fallen to us.

Worth keeping in mind. In a better world, I could sleep easy knowing the Hillary or Obama or whoever was keeping the world steady and sane. Now, it's on us.

The police are bringing drugs, they're bringing crime, they're rapists, and some-I assume-are good people.

Seriously, police rape at a rate at least three times the national average.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Several reporters saying that the reason Obama et al never said "Radical Islamic Terrorism" was because CIA told them specifically it would create more terrorists.

Trump apparently was told the same thing and ignored it.

Several reporters saying that the reason Obama et al never said "Radical Islamic Terrorism" was because CIA told them specifically it would create more terrorists.

That speech was basically begging for another 9/11. Chosen, protected by God, wipe radical Islam from the face of the Earth, we will be so safe and so secure.

I can only hope that the inevitable event will turn people against him and not rally people around him.

Gruco

Banned
That speech was basically begging for another 9/11. Chosen, protected by God, wipe radical Islam from the face of the Earth, we will be so safe and so secure.

I can only hope that the inevitable event will turn people against him and not rally people around him.

Now that we're shredding our alliances and scaring away intelligence sharing with our ties to Russia, may get the wish.

PowerTaxi

Banned

Trump is too dumb to realise he's the face of recruitment videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom