• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm looking forward to seeing a whole lot more of Biden in 2019.

No

We must learn from Trump moving forward. We must not repeat this.

To be fair, democrats shying away from playing politics as well as republicans has destroyed their political win numbers. Not saying I totally agree with what you responded to, but they HAVE to start playing hardball and stop pretending appealing to simple logic is going to be enough in the future.

To be fair, democrats shying away from playing politics as well as republicans has destroyed their political win numbers. Not saying I totally agree with what you responded to, but they HAVE to start playing hardball and stop pretending appealing to simple logic is going to be enough in the future.
I agree we need to go hard on them, I just worry a little about dropping all our standards and values in doing so.

Should a Democratic governor for instance sign a harsh voter registration law that makes it harder for white people to vote? That's what Republicans do all the time to Democratic-leaning voters.

Teggy

Don't we already have July 4? What the fuck is a national day of patriotism? And guess what a lot of people will consider patriotic? Exercising their first amendment rights.

Don't we already have July 4? What the fuck is a national day of patriotism? And guess what a lot of people will consider patriotic? Exercising their first amendment rights.
Now, now. When a Democrat is president, nothing is more patriotic than protesting and rallying, making your voice heard.

When a Republican is president you will kneel to him like a fucking king.

Don't tread on me!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
July 4 is already as Megamerican as you can get. We've even had two alien invasion movies about it.

"National Day of Patriotism" just ties into Trump's speech. Now it is the duty of all citizens to be Patriots. If you're not a Patriot, you must be anti-American. Which is of course now nationalistic Americans already think, so this is pandering to them.

It's a furthering of Trump's rhetoric about "real Americans". Those who voted for him are. The other two thirds of the country must not be Patriots, so they are not Americans. (Because, of course, only Patriots can be Americans.)

Can we just declare Service Equals Citizenship already and cut to the end?

I'm MAD but I'm also stressed as well, but there's a non-zero chance he starts a nuclear war with China.

Pros: China has not invaded Taiwan in the last hour.

It's sad but funny that Trump and Ryan together want to erase the legacy of not just Obama, but of almost all presidents since Hoover.

Obama: Obamacare
W Bush: AIDS program in Africa
Bill: CHIP
HW Bush:
Reagan: Destruction of the Soviet Union
Carter: Caring about human rights in foreign policy
Ford: Disabilities Act
Nixon: EPA and peace with China
LBJ: Great Society
JFK:
Eisenhower:
Truman: NATO
FDR: Social Security

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Kurt Eichenwald Verified account
‏@kurteichenwald

Counterterror guys know, when we get hit, theyll be blamed. But Trump ignoring everything they tell him. Resumes going out 2 private sector.

This? This is not good.

kess

I'm MAD but I'm also stressed as well, but there's a non-zero chance he starts a nuclear war with China.

Pros: China has not invaded Taiwan in the last hour.

It's sad but funny that Trump and Ryan together want to erase the legacy of not just Obama, but of almost all presidents since Hoover.

Obama: Obamacare
W Bush: AIDS program in Africa
Bill: CHIP
HW Bush:
Reagan: Destruction of the Soviet Union
Carter: Caring about human rights in foreign policy
Ford: Disabilities Act
Nixon: EPA and peace with China
LBJ: Great Society
JFK:
Eisenhower:
Truman: NATO
FDR: Social Security

I suppose Trump's team wants to eliminate JFK's Peace Corps and probably extend the Military Industrial Complex to levels that would make Eisenhower blush, so they don't have to feel left out.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I completely expect Russia to invade another country as soon as sanctions are lifted.

I anticipate something in the next few weeks when his cabinet is not in place, ambassadors are not in place, and there's a huge focus on domestic issues.

UberTag

Several reporters saying that the reason Obama et al never said "Radical Islamic Terrorism" was because CIA told them specifically it would create more terrorists.

Trump apparently was told the same thing and ignored it.
They're not wrong. Trump's words will get played back in terrorist recruitment videos for suicide bombers and people who want to fly planes into Trump Tower to recreate 9/11. He said he intends to annihilate them so as far as they're concerned, the gloves can now come off. They've got nothing to lose.

At this point it is possible that orange turd wants a huge terrorist attack to happen in this country expecting a surge of support just like GWB got after 9/11
That seems fairly clear. He wants an excuse to use his new nuclear toys. That'll show us for not coming out to his big inauguration party like we did for Obama. We'll have to love Don then.

Trump's poll numbers actually went down after the Orlando attack because he was hysterical and incomprehensible and kept bragging for some reason.

Trump's reactions to disasters are very fucking weird (if you want to be terrified, go read Trump's tweets about Ebola) and the CIA is more well liked than he is.

Plinko

There is a 0% chance that the American public sides with Trump over the CIA when Trump blames the next terror attack on the CIA.

He won't blame it on the CIA. He knows they've got information.

I'm more worried that all these guys will quit and he'll fill it with yes men who ignore any evidence against him.

At this point it is possible that orange turd wants a huge terrorist attack to happen in this country expecting a surge of support just like GWB got after 9/11

I can only hope if that in the tragic event we are attacked, it will not have the same effect.

GWB actually did what he needed to do in order to get people to like him and rally around him. Trump will do the exact opposite.

If we are attacked he needs to be blamed for it. He has denied intelligence and every warning and every piece of evidence anyone with a clue about anything has had to say. If anything happens to us it's HIS fault. We can't let people rally around him and give him the capitol to do whatever he wants.

Racists loving luchador-esque Bane is like single mothers wishing they could have a relationship as strong as Harley Quin and Joker and unironically posting image macros about it on Facebook. Not realizing that they're wishing they were in an abusive relationship with a psychopath...

They probably only know Bane as the (white) terrorist. Not the hispanic wrestler pumped up on chemicals.

This might sound dumb, but if the Peace Corps still exist in the next couple years, how irresponsible is it to sign up when I graduate? It's something I've been toying with for the past couple months, especially since the debt forgiveness would be really helpful, but is that irresponsible to abandon my country in its greatest hour of need? Especially since I'm in the group least threatened by the incoming administration.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't that bad for the housing market? Or is it one of those "disproportionately affects poor people" things. Funny enough, this probably causes an increased proportion of Chinese citizens buying homes in the US.
Well, I assume lower income Americans benefited from this since they would be more likely to take (and keep) FHA loans (which have PMI for their life I believe) while the mortgage interest deduction primarily benefits the wealthy (and the private mortgage industry).

Edit: I support the phased dissolving of the mortgage interest deduction in favor of more progressive redistribution.

The Women's March on Washington not putting Hillary Clinton's name on the list of Honorees is ridiculous.

Not really sure that's the right message you need to be sending here.

In any case here are the list of "honorees":

Bella Abzug • Corazon Aquino • Ella Baker • Grace Lee Boggs
Berta Cáceres • Rachel Carson • Shirley Chisholm • Angela Davis
Miss Major Griffin Gracy • LaDonna Harris • Dorothy I. Height
bell hooks • Judith Heumann • Dolores Huerta • Marsha P. Johnson
Barbara Jordan • Yuri Kochiyama • Winona LaDuke
Audre Lorde • Wilma Mankiller • Diane Nash • Sylvia Rivera
Barbara Smith • Gloria Steinem • Hannah G. Solomon
Harriet Tubman • Edith Windsor • Malala Yousafzai

Police are going to kill an innocent minority one of these weeks and I fear the entire country is going to descend into chaos and riots. Not just the normal riots that happen after a police killing, but unrest through the entire country.

Tensions are extremely high right now, and everyone seems to be on a hair trigger, including Trump. Who will probably do or say something stupid the first time there's a big riot over a police shooting. And cause chain reactions over the country of more rioting.

SmokeMaxX

Well, I assume lower income Americans benefited from this since they would be more likely to take (and keep) FHA loans (which have PMI for their life I believe) while the mortgage interest deduction primarily benefits the wealthy (and the private mortgage industry).

Edit: I support the phased dissolving of the mortgage interest deduction in favor of more progressive redistribution.
Ah okay. I'm ignorant of the topic

Jeels

Police are going to kill an innocent minority one of these weeks and I fear the entire country is going to descend into chaos and riots. Not just the normal riots that happen after a police killing, but unrest through the entire country.

Tensions are extremely high right now, and everyone seems to be on a hair trigger, including Trump. Who will probably do or say something stupid the first time there's a big riot over a police shooting. And cause chain reactions over the country of more rioting.

I think Trump is going to cause a civil war but it's not going to be a north vs south regional thing. It's incredibly scary to think about.

I think Trump is going to cause a civil war but it's not going to be a north vs south regional thing. It's incredibly scary to think about.

You strip people of their income, their food, their homes and their healthcare, then antagonize them while sitting in your golden throne room and it's a recipe for disaster.

I don't think it'll be a civil war, but violent, long lasting riots seem entirely possible, if not likely.

You can only push people so far before they snap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom