• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's even the point of him doing this?

Obama did it, therefore it must go. Nevermind that US business and state governments with products to export are frothing at the mouth to get into Cuba.

We'll sell 110 billion in weapons to the country that funded 9/11 but Cuba can't be dealt with. Suddenly this orange fuck cares about human rights when it garners votes in Miami.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
What's even the point of him doing this?
Pissing on Obama
's legacy.

Figuratively speaking.

I'm going to lol when the use human rights (me. "not here to lecture Saudi Arabia") or lack of democratic reforms (mr. wannabe putin & erdogan ) as "reasons" why the want to roll them back.

Never mind that increasing normalization and ties is the best way to achieve progress on those goals.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Welcome to the culmination of our consumer capitalist nightmare

DBBEpYFXgAE7pYh.jpg

Vimes

Recent ICE-related threads have been keeping my ignore list fat and happy.

Amazing how so many people have fuck-all empathy.

kess

It was a joke post,
but After we expanded NATO to include former Soviet territories

Well, the Warsaw Pact dissolved and reunified Germany joined NATO. That's a pretty good demarcation. To make that happen, we promised pizza hut man we'd keep out of the iron curtain.

A promise is not a treaty, it doesn't mean shit. Russia imposing any terms on the future actions of Germany or any other Eastern European country would be blatantly coercive.

barber

Marcon is pretty badass calling out russian propaganda rite next to Putin in a press conference!

Trump is too weak to do this.

I mean there are clear links between FN and Russia, that is enough for most french politicians to be like that in election mode. Plus trying to make him look like a corrupted official during the reflection day is not something that looks good. And yeah RT and Sputnik are the worst piece of propaganda in Europe.

A promise is not a treaty, it doesn't mean shit. Russia imposing any terms on the future actions of Germany or any other Eastern European country would be blatantly coercive.
I don't know what blatantly coercive means if not soft + hard power diplomacy but if a promise doesn't mean shit then Russia doesn't have to keep its promise to not roll over eastern Europe again

kirblar

Macron's runoff election was basically him vs the worst of both the far left and right. Of course the far left wouldn't like him!

Macron's runoff election was basically him vs the worst of both the far left and right. Of course the far left wouldn't like him!
Macron literally made a Republican his prime minister, you can like him but typically it's not even a center-left approved decision to appoint conservatives to major positions of power.

Nordicus

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Macron literally made a Republican his prime minister, you can like him but typically it's not even a center-left approved decision to appoint conservatives to major positions of power.

Like, this is like if post-election alternative universe where Clinton won, she then asked the Democrats in the Senate to vote for McCain as Majority Leader. Why would anyone even remotely concerned for the welfare of the worst off in society be supportive of this?

I don't know the line of succession in France but here I believe that we call that the "don't give the opposition an extra reason to kill you" rule

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know the line of succession in France but here I believe that we call that the "don't give the opposition an extra reason to kill you" rule

The President of the Senate takes over until an election automatically triggered for within thirty-five days. The Prime Minister is not in the line of succession. Macron just did it because he aspires to the old authoritarian style of de Gaulle and beyond; he's a conservative in liberal's clothing.

The LR might not be Republican bad, but we're still talking a party that opposes gay marriage and has been responsible for blocking it to the present date, has tacitly bought in to alot of FN stuff under the Sarkozy wing, has pursued strongly racist housing policies against France's black (largely Algerian) community, and slashed the welfare that supports the poorest. Anyone supporting Macron is no friend of mine, and it's a terrible situation for democracy to be in when he ends up being the best option in the final round of a presidential election.

barber

I mean they still have the real elections for parliament in 2 weeks or so, so the title of prime minister is mainly a stupid thing until he knows which party he has to negotiate with to pass laws. It is important to remember that this isn't a two party system and less with Macron's party being "new" so it is very likely he won't control the parliament.

Probably because unlike in the US, the French Republicans had the decency to oppose Nazi Le Pen.
I mean it's nice to oppose Nazis but typically if someone has even center-left political goals they would appoint center-left politicians to enact them, not center-right ones.

Cause this never happened under Clinton and Obama, right?
I distinctly remember Obama taking power and saying that Democrats should support Boehner's speakership.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Clinton is by several country miles a better candidate than Macron, and y'all know my stance on Clinton so you should understand where I'm coming from. I can at least recognise Clinton as belonging to roughly the same political sphere as myself, if very different parts of it. Macron is someone who needs to be opposed and held to account as much as possible by liberals and the left. His closest UK political analogue is George Osborne; that's not a good analogue to have.

kess

I don't know what blatantly coercive means if not soft + hard power diplomacy but if a promise doesn't mean shit then Russia doesn't have to keep its promise to not roll over eastern Europe again

A hypothetical that should be completely immaterial because those countries are now NATO signatories. The convenient fictions that Russian media propagates are worth as much as the promises they've been blowing up Donald Trump's ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom