• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armaros

Awww the poor thing's feefees are hurt.

Edit:
:O Covert Fefes, it was a cry for help!

He is doing the bidding of lord trump, hopeing that trump will rally his voters to keep him alive during reelection.

he was always trumps toadie, thats the only reason why he got that chairmanshp in the first place.

DBPqfu4UQAItyn_

Iranians dont even speak Arabic. They speak Farsi.

I would rather take a cudgel to my own head than keep watching Trump dismantle our empire. Exiting the climate deal is a monstrous miscalculation. Forget climate change and human lives: the leaders of the world are overseeing a historic transition in the world's energy market. The Rockefellers are out - Elon Musk is in. Winners and losers are being chosen in exchange for political support. Developing nations everywhere are looking for patronage from bigger nations to combat the massive effects of climate change: drought, famine, resource strain. That means investment. That means defense relationships and alliances. Incalculable amounts of capital will trade hands in the next century because of climate change and we need to be there to get our share.

America first? It's been America first since the very beginning. We're screwing ourselves. I'll be moving to Germany within the next ten years, you all can keep your fading kingdom.
So you guys remember when a new FBI director would be immediately named? Running bet no one wants the job?
There's no reason to not take the job, the Russian investigation is out of the director's hands. More likely the white house has become completely paralyzed by its own incompetence.

Yes, the good ol days of conservatism before the scowling primitives took over, back when Bill Buckley used slurs and threatened violence on national TV.

Conservatism is one giant delusion at best, a cult at worst.

Buckley's career is largely defined by intelligent, clever argument, albeit for ideas I find wrong to reprehensible. This was hardly his regular comportment.

SHE DID THAT.

YOUR FAVE COULD NEVER.

I C O N I C.
Was the other tracker sick that day?

latest

Leaning towards Heitkamp winning re-election, as well as Tester and Manchin. Still worried about Donnelly and McCaskill. Only Obama-Trump Democrat who concerns me is Baldwin because she seems like a terrible fit for the state, but then again everyone thought that in 2012 too which was only a modest Dem year.

kirblar

Ossoff has a bright future if he can keep scandal-free. The instincts are there.

That factor, more than anything else, is going to drive my decision-making w/ 2020, which is why I would currently lean to Gillibrand. She has them as well.

Ossoff has a bright future if he can keep scandal-free. The instincts are there.

That factor, more than anything else, is going to drive my decision-making w/ 2020, which is why I would currently lean to Gillibrand. She has them as well.

She's for single payer.

jtb

Banned
Donnelly and Heitkamp are the two Romney Ds I'm worried about.

She's for single payer.

Isn't she for "Medicare for all", which can very easily be spun into a public option? I forget what the exact wording of her 2006 position was

(which, imo, only bolsters the instincts point)

I'm all in on Gillibrand 2020.

She's for single payer.
That response of his is brilliant.

I'm a bit scattered on 2020 (more focused on 2018 to really tether myself to any of the potential candidates) but Gillibrand seems like a great option. Like I'm still fucking pissed that we got robbed of a female president to fucking Trump of all people. Gilly seems to have a lot of Hillary's strengths without many of the downsides. Like there's the Wall Street connection and a few flip-flops from early on in her career, but frankly if she comes off as personable enough no one will care. Just like no one cared when Obama, Bernie, Biden etc have flip-flopped on issues.

kirblar

She's for single payer.
Does it matter if no Dem can pass it? :)

Obama opposed the Individual Mandate on the campaign trail, then passed it anyway.

She's hyper-opportunistic, but is really, really good at disguising it and packaging it in a way that doesn't piss off the type of people that get angry when you tell them the truth.

It's a skill Hillary didn't have and a massively necessary one you need as a presidential candidate.

Blader

Gillibrand's recent interview with Axelrod convinced me she's one of the party's strongest speakers today. She can articulate the pains of middle/working-class Americans and the solutions for alleviating those pains clearer than just about any Dem I've heard.

kirblar

Gillibrand's recent interview with Axelrod convinced me she's one of the party's strongest speakers today. She can articulate the pains of middle/working-class Americans and the solutions for alleviating those pains clearer than just about any Dem I've heard.
Her explanation for the gun flipflop is insanely good.

jtb

Banned

Was also very impressed (well, I already was a huge fan - was pleased with?) her appearance on the Axe Files.

She's an incredibly deft politician.

The most recent Gallup poll, taken May 21-28, put Trump's approval rating at 41 percent. In contrast, a May 4-9 Quinnipiac University poll found that 65 percent of Americans said Trump should not remove ”specific regulations intended to combat climate change."

In addition to being more popular than Trump, the Paris Agreement also has higher favorability than the Republican senators who called on him to scrap it.
According to the Yale survey, conducted jointly in November with Virginia's George Mason University, 56 percent of Kentuckians supported U.S. participation in the Paris Agreement.

That's well above the 44 percent of state residents who approved of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell's job performance, according to an April Morning Consult survey of Senate approval ratings. McConnell, R-Ky., signed the letter to Trump.

Kentucky once ranked as the nation's leading coal producer and still held the No. 3 spot in 2015, but last year it slipped to fifth place amid a glut of cheap natural gas produced by hydraulic fracturing, cheaper renewable power and a nationwide decline in the use of coal to generate electricity.

The Senate's No. 2 Republican, Sen. John Cornyn of Texas, also signed the letter to Trump. While 64 percent of Texans supported the treaty, according to the Yale-George Mason survey, 49 percent approved of Cornyn's job performance, the Morning Consult survey found.

Form the Paris thread.

She's clearly the best women who can run. She's a very good politician

kirblar

Gillibrand in '06 - http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/7/28/758720/-
But now she's in the Senate, representing all of New York rather than a small, and relatively conservative, slice of it. She's also facing a primary challenge from the liberal Carolyn Maloney. Gillibrand's response, in part, has been to emerge as an unexpectedly aggressive champion of the public option. "I believe that a robust not-for-profit public option must be a part of the health care reform package Congress passes this year," she wrote on the Huffington Post. "I feel that opening up a Medicare For All type system to everyone would lower costs and increase efficiency by injecting some much needed competition into the market." The post's title? "Help me fight for a public option!"

jtb

Banned
Regardless of whether it's a single payer or a public option, I think "Medicare for all" has to be the messaging for the Dems going forward on healthcare. Just distill it down to that one simple talking point.

People in the OT Paris Accord thread have raised some valid points about our image as a country. Our withdrawal may not change much, especially if companies and states continue the green revolution and we rejoin in ~3.5 years, but we've certainly painted ourselves as capricious and unreliable. Moreover, even if we elect someone sane - or even a string of sane people - who knows if we might get someone like Trump again?

I hope the next Democratic president and Congress willingly impose more restrictions on the executive branch. Most of the power in this country should be vested in Congress, the body directly elected by the people, and we need explicit laws that reduce the executive's power and increase accountability. That way, even if we have a lunatic in office, he or she can't inflict too much harm.

P.S. I suspect this withdrawal might increase the oppo droppo, and not just from American outlets. Putin, for all his evil, recognizes climate change and its effects on his country, most notably Siberia. Despite his penchant for chaos, this decision can't be thrilling him. Other countries' intelligence agencies might also feel freer about dropping shit now.

Owzers

Well gee golly climate changes who's to say how much is by man let's not go crazy for petes sake.

Rand Paul is slightly obnoxious. Slightly...

P.S. I suspect this withdrawal might increase the oppo droppo, and not just from American outlets. Putin, for all his evil, recognizes climate change and its effects on his country, most notably Siberia. Despite his penchant for chaos, this decision can't be thrilling him. Other countries' intelligence agencies might also feel freer about dropping shit now.

Oh this is absolutely WONDERFUL for Putin. The US are no longer the leaders of the free world and are now at his beck and call. If he truly cared, he'd make a statement about the importance of the Paris Accords and Trump would do an about face faster than Superman folding clothes on laundry day.

People in the OT Paris Accord thread have raised some valid points about our image as a country. Our withdrawal may not change much, especially if companies and states continue the green revolution and we rejoin in ~3.5 years, but we've certainly painted ourselves as capricious and unreliable. Moreover, even if we elect someone sane - or even a string of sane people - who knows if we might get someone like Trump again?

I hope the next Democratic president and Congress willingly impose more restrictions on the executive branch. Most of the power in this country should be vested in Congress, the body directly elected by the people, and we need explicit laws that reduce the executive's power and increase accountability. That way, even if we have a lunatic in office, he or she can't inflict too much harm.

This is something I think about often because I think it's going to be a careful balance of the next Democratic president needing to keep enough power to enact the changes that fix things with giving up executive power so it doesn't happen again.

One potentially good thing about this:

Dems can play up the environment in a big way in 2020 that's broadly popular, and could potentially neuter the Green vote. And, you know, make good promises on Climate Change.

Oh this is absolutely WONDERFUL for Putin. The US are no longer the leaders of the free world and are now at his beck and call. If he truly cared, he'd make a statement about the importance of the Paris Accords and Trump would do an about face faster than Superman folding clothes on laundry day.

Please don't destroy my hope. :(

Well, you're probably right. But my point about non-Russian ICs dropping shit still stands.

Won't happen, you'll get a bunch of angry base voters wanting more ruthless executive actions. Look at how many people saying the next time a Dem wins they should just ram things through.

So are there any good books about the effects of population shift after Florida and Louisiana sink?

Regardless of whether it's a single payer or a public option, I think "Medicare for all" has to be the messaging for the Dems going forward on healthcare. Just distill it down to that one simple talking point.

Yep, agreed. It's a dog whistle and a damned good one.

tuxfool

Banned

He has done in the past. Russia actually is working towards the Paris accord goals, all the countries in the world are, barring Syria, Nicaragua and now the US.

Dems can play up the environment in a big way in 2020 that's broadly popular, and could potentially neuter the Green vote. And, you know, make good promises on Climate Change.
Wasn't the bulk of the green vote this year just an anti hillary vote?

jtb

Banned
The Green party doesn't give a fuck about the environment.

We will never get a more conservationist-type major party candidate than Al Gore ever again. He was actually genuinely passionate about the enviornment!

RDreamer

Oh man, so you're saying they could get almost 1% more in the popular vote! Sign me the fuck up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom