• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

This twitter thread points out something fishy about the NYT article about small businesses approving of Trump pulling out of the Paris Climate Accord.

3 months ago the same author wrote an article about small businesses supporting Trump. Both articles have the same image of the same man in the same green pullover. They both interview the same Trump supporters in the same town. So the story is that a small group of people who supported Trump 3 moths ago still support Trump.

How does the NYT let this shit happen? It's embarrassing and sad.

Not even the first time it was done this year

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/871170176078802944

Makai

Young Mitch McConnel looks familiar. Chris Wallace?

12-ap.jpg

Teggy

Daaaaaaaaaaaamn. What must be going on in that WH.

David Rennie @DSORennie

Singapore: SecDef Mattis declines to comment on London attacks: "I like to learn about something before I talk."

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
His quotes lately have been...odd. Not the scheming, dismissive bullshit that categorizes most of this administration's clumsy spinning, just...odd.

Getting ready to lead that coup.

BTW it just hit me that the US could have replaced the 2016 election with a lottery where the grand prize was the presidency and end up better off.

Getting ready to lead that coup.

BTW it just hit me that the US could have replaced the 2016 election with a lottery where the grand prize was the presidency and end up better off.

You know, we joke, but a military coup might jeopardize democracy even more than Trump's actions. How would it even work? Would they install the vice-president or first clean person in the line of succession? Would we have a temporary military government who would call new elections? When we had a civilian government again, could we ever go back to the way things were, and would the Constitution still hold any weight at all? Allowing the military to depose leaders would completely destroy, rather than just strain, our foundations.

Trump scares me, but our institutions and systems have worked relatively well so far (the courts). And even if they haven't worked as they should have, they could if they desired (Congress). A military coup smashes everything.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You know, we joke, but a military coup might jeopardize democracy even more than Trump's actions. How would it even work? Would they install the vice-president or first clean person in the line of succession? Would we have a temporary military government who would call new elections? When we had a civilian government again, could we ever go back to the way things were, and would the Constitution still hold any weight at all? Allowing the military to depose leaders would completely destroy, rather than just strain, our foundations.

Trump scares me, but our institutions and systems have worked relatively well so far (the courts). And even if they haven't worked as they should have, they could if they desired (Congress). A military coup smashes everything.

I'm kidding, if there is a coup in the US it will be a fake one, where the administration will claim a coup was in progress and had to counter-coup it.

I personally thought Mattis was chosen for that purpose, as a patsy for a fake coup, since people would more easily believe it when they would roll with it and arrest him.

I'm kidding, if there is a coup in the US it will be a fake one, where the administration will claim a coup was in progress and had to counter-coup it.

I personally thought Mattis was chosen for that purpose, as a patsy for a fake coup, since people would more easily believe it when they would roll with it and arrest him.

Oh, I know we were joking. :) I was just catastrophizing about how bad an actual coup would be for this country.

Oh, I know we were joking. :) I was just catastrophizing about how bad an actual coup would be for this country.

Our military is actually structured really intelligently for avoiding a coup. Generals can only command a certain group of troops or 4 years maximum, for example. Keeps them from generating a cult of personality within the ranks.

The usual garbage from the so-called POTUS:

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 26m26 minutes ago

Do you notice we are not having a gun debate right now? That's because they used knives and a truck!

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 39m39 minutes ago

At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is "no reason to be alarmed!"

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 50m50 minutes ago

We must stop being politically correct and get down to the business of security for our people. If we don't get smart it will only get worse

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

It amazes me that there is no ability to make the connection between "knives and a truck" and "Because they couldn't get guns in the country."

NeoXChaos

Can't get much worse than Trump right? right? Most of us are Millennials so this is the worse we will see right?........................

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

I think the last tweet has mass appeal. But I've thought Trump's anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim views were sort of, at worst, 50/50 in terms of approval. Maybe I'm wrong on that one (I'd love to be). But I imagine Tulsi Gabbard would agree.

Scott Pruitt was just on Meet the Press defending the withdraw from the Paris accords claiming that the coal sector added 50,000 jobs since the end of last year including 7,000 last month. Of course, Chuck Todd did not challenge the claim. It's incredible bullshit.

Paul Ryan and Kevin McCarthy "joked" about Putin paying Rohrabacher, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a "person of interest."

Do you guys trust mattis at all?

Trust as in he isn't completely crazy Yes.

Trust as in he can keep a check on Trump, No.

Mattis, Kelly, all these people joined the administration because they saw some level of commonality with what Trump is advocating. Mattis probably loves the fact that Trump has pretty much given authority to Pentagon to launch drone attacks as they see fit. That minimizing civilian casualties is not important.

Kelly obviously also doesn't like immigrants.

The only trusty person is McMaster, who couldn't refuse the President as he was active military but at this point needs to resign as he is losing all credibility.

Guys I can't do it anymore. I was at some good friends house yesterday and somehow my friends wife brought up how happy she was that we pulled out of the Paris climate accord. She asked how everyone felt about it. Obviously I told her I wasn't happy. Well.. you can guess where this went. 40 mins straight of fake news.. Hillary.. Benghazi.. email server.. corruption..murders. Trump loves this country and finally is bringing pride back after 8 years of obama failures. The wall will stop the drug problem blah blah blah.

She doesn't believe the Russian stuff at all and everything I tried to show her was fake news or liberal slant.

There is NOTHING that you can do for these people. I was nice and cordial the entire time while I was called names relentlessly.

I don't know why I'm even bringing it up but it's frustrating to say the least.

This woman btw is not racist at all and is upper middle class. She works hard and none of this is economic or racially driven it's 100% jingoistic USA patriotic bullshit with her.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Guys I can't do it anymore. I was at some good friends house yesterday and somehow my friends wife brought up how happy she was that we pulled out of the Paris climate accord. She asked how everyone felt about it. Obviously I told her I wasn't happy. Well.. you can guess where this went. 40 mins straight of fake news.. Hillary.. Benghazi.. email server.. corruption..murders. Trump loves this country and finally is bringing pride back after 8 years of obama failures. The wall will stop the drug problem blah blah blah.

She doesn't believe the Russian stuff at all and everything I tried to show her was fake news or liberal slant.

There is NOTHING that you can do for these people. I was nice and cordial the entire time while I was called names relentlessly.

This woman btw is not racist at all and is upper middle class. She works hard and none is this is economic or racially driven it's 100% jingoistic USA patriotic bullshit with her.

There is no point in arguing with them, they will even claim to believe things they know are false, just to have more ammo against their perceived enemies. It's like some who claim they believe the earth is flat, but don't actually believe it, they just use that to attack "the establishment", like a cult member who knows what they say is false but still try to hoodwink people into their cult.

This woman btw is not racist at all and is upper middle class. She works hard and none of this is economic or racially driven it's 100% jingoistic USA patriotic bullshit with her.

News Flash: She is fine with racism.

Vulgarity has it's place, and it's meant to land impact. These are those moments. Being cordial doesn't always work.

Kusagari

Trust as in he isn't completely crazy Yes.

Trust as in he can keep a check on Trump, No.

Mattis, Kelly, all these people joined the administration because they saw some level of commonality with what Trump is advocating. Mattis probably loves the fact that Trump has pretty much given authority to Pentagon to launch drone attacks as they see fit. That minimizing civilian casualties is not important.

Kelly obviously also doesn't like immigrants.

The only trusty person is McMaster, who couldn't refuse the President as he was active military but at this point needs to resign as he is losing all credibility.

Even when Mattis "defends" Trump it's in a weird way compared to the rest of the administration. Even McMaster has been far more forceful lately than Mattis has been. I think the main reason Mattis is along for the ride is because he's all for Trump's increased focus on the military and letting them, and specifically Mattis himself, call the shots.

It's incredibly obvious that he doesn't agree with Trump's actual foreign policy and I doubt he agrees with things like the travel ban either. But I also don't think he provides any actual kind of check on those things.

Mr.Shrugglesツ;239126058 said:
Vulgarity has it's place, and it's meant to land impact. These are those moments. Being cordial doesn't always work.

I mean I get that yeah. However everyone else in the room pretty much turned on her because A. She was attacking me and B. I was being nice and just offering actual data on things like job numbers and Paris climate data etc.

If one person goes home and looks up something or starts to change because of how I handled myself then it's worth it.

Being vulgar and name calling is for the weak. Look I understand fire with fire it's not time to be nice but it's just not how I conduct myself.

I don't want to derail the thread just a frustrating story I've been stewing on all night.

I think the most frustrating thing was the many adults in the room age 27-35 that just said I don't do politics or vote so don't ask me. I hate both sides.

You stupid morherfuckers

I mean I get that yeah. However everyone else in the room pretty much turned on her because A. She was attacking me and B. I was being nice and just offering actual data on things like job numbers and Paris climate data etc.

If one person goes home and looks up something or starts to change because of how I handled myself then it's worth it.

Being vulgar and name calling is for the weak. Look I understand fire with fire it's not time to be nice but it's just not how I conduct myself.

I don't want to derail the thread just a frustrating story I've been stewing on all night.

I think the most frustrating thing was the many adults in the room age 27-35 that just said I don't do politics or vote so don't ask me. I hate both sides.

You stupid morherfuckers

I mean more of

41d.png

Nrocinu777

Neo Member

Good god what is happening to the USA. How can people be so fucking dumb. Yes, I know about Fox news and all, but wow. D:

Just ask her if she believes the world is flat, sounds like the person who "doesn't like to be talked down to"

Ogodei

There is no point in arguing with them, they will even claim to believe things they know are false, just to have more ammo against their perceived enemies. It's like some who claim they believe the earth is flat, but don't actually believe it, they just use that to attack "the establishment", like a cult member who knows what they say is false but still try to hoodwink people into their cult.

The point of arguing with them is to show how stupid they look to third parties who might not be as far gone, or to show other people who disagree with that crap that they are not alone.

It's not productive dialogue as we were all taught to understand it, but politics hasn't been about productive dialogue since the 70s, at least (and the Treinte Gloriouses, among other things, were standout decades in human history due to relatively high political comity): it's about winning the messaging war and making sure enough of the public thinks the other side is bullshit that they can't get people elected or get policy traction if they do.

Edit: Heh, should've read, JetBlackPanda agrees with me.

the us literally has a coup mechanism. the 22nd mechanism. majority of cabinet with congresses approval.

mackaveli

How come they are so easily to believe all of Hillary's scandals etc., but Trump is super clean and it's the liberal media out to get Trump.

Gruco

Banned
Al Franken's new book is delightful. Everyone go read it.
Bonus: kos has a new book coming out in a few weeks too. It's basically a how to guide re: pushing back against Trump.

Gotta say I am loving the anti-Bush political writers storming back after 8 years. Obviously they understand how the market has changed recently. I think Marshall also has a book on Trump and Trumpism on the way.

Kind of sad that I didn't do as much contemporary politics reading during the Obama years. The New New Deal and Confidence Men were the best of the era and strongly recommended IMO. Not sure if there was anything else I missed that would have been worthwhile.

Mr.Shrugglesツ;239129832 said:
Gore, Kerry, Clinton.

The US would be such a fucking paradise right now.
Well, there's no scenario where they could have all been president, but it really strikes me how much I love the candidates for our party! They're all people I've been proud to support, and would have been great for the country.

The losers all have the same set of problems though. Nerdy, boring, charisma deficit, technocrats. Better presidents than campaigners. At the end of the day, America really just seems to like the jocks more than the nerds.

That's also what drives me nuts about the way people see Hillary. She's basically the same as Kerry or Gore, both of whom are great and rightfully beloved figures of the party who went on to do great things. Most legitimate criticisms of Hillary apply just as well to them. But she gets SO MUCH more hate, and there's really only a handful of factors which might be able to explain that.

Mr.Shrugglesツ;239129832 said:
Gore, Kerry, Clinton.

The US would be such a fucking paradise right now.

Two simple examples:

I think if Russert was around Garland would have gotten a hearing.

Going further back, I don't think McCain picks Pailin if Russert's still there. How many things has that domino caused?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom