• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.propublica.org/article/trump-personal-lawyer-boasted-that-he-got-preet-bharara-fired

Marc Kasowitz, President Donald Trump's personal lawyer in the Russia investigation, has boasted to friends and colleagues that he played a central role in the firing of Preet Bharara, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, according to four people familiar with the conversations.

Kasowitz told Trump, ”This guy is going to get you," according to a person familiar with Kasowitz's account.

Kasowitz has also said in private conversations that Trump asked him to be attorney general, according to four people familiar with the matter. Kasowitz said he turned down the role. Ultimately, Trump decided to give the position to then-Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions.

One of the names floated to replace Bharara is Edward McNally, a partner at Kasowitz's law firm. More than three months after Bharara was fired, Trump has not nominated anyone to fill the Southern District job or most of the other U.S. attorney positions.

Umm. Could these people be any more blatantly corrupt?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The Hill‏Verified account @thehill

Gingrich: Mueller hired "bad people" http://hill.cm/gpvkiUh

You've got to be freaking kidding me. He hired the best in the country. These people are insane for going down this road against Mueller.

John Harwood‏Verified account @JohnJHarwood

US Ambassador to Qatar has resigned days after Trump renewed attacking the country, which undercut State Dept attempt to calm tensions

Tommy DJ

Not a single team in the NBA is going to visit this current Whitehouse. The only player I can imagine actively wanting to visit the Whitehouse would be Spencer Hawes and he's not winning a NBA title any time soon.

The NBA isn't really like any other sports league in that the majority of players are either black or from overseas. If this was the NFL, we wouldn't have Stan Van Gundy open say that Trump is a piece of shit or Gregg Popovich wouldn't let himself get baited by the press to shit all over Trump whenever he's given the opportunity.

PBY

Banned
So.... looks like all the scuttlebutt on twitter seems to say that the Senate is going to pass an Obamacare repeal and replace bill...

Not sure why Matt Taibbi is being mentioned in this thread, but I can't stand him. I mean, Greenwald and Scahill too, but at least they're not writing for Rolling Stone.

Taibbi is one of the laziest journalists out there. His arguments tend to be "so and so knows/worked with so and so, therefore corruption."

A lot of the worst left rags indulge in that line of thinking, too.

kirblar

The people who are angry that the Dems won't throw a tantrum and shut down doing productive things rather than try and stall out a hypothetical ACHA bill that will happen regardless of what the Dems do or do not do are infuriating.

If they've got Heller, this thing is probably passing.

Topher does this a lot but he's probably right. No reason to think otherwise.

The people who are angry that the Dems won't throw a tantrum and shut down doing productive things rather than try and stall out a hypothetical ACHA bill that will happen regardless of what the Dems do or do not do are infuriating.
People are mad their healthcare is being taken away and want a fight, even if its fruitless. Not hard to understand.

PBY

Banned
They aren't doing enough.

Ac30

God dammit, I wanted a good place to follow European news/politics and /r/Europe has seemingly turned into a place where discussing the wholesale slaughter of African migrants is now accepted (and upvoted). People are insane. Sorry for the rant, but holy shit. If it's always been a cesspool, then my mistake.

kirblar

They aren't doing enough.
They have no fucking power. There's nothing they can do. All power they have is at the mercy of the GOP, who control everything.

Don't like it? Vote for dems instead of sitting out elections! The idea that sitting out is a good thing is a trash concept pushed by faux intellectuals that needs to die off. (This one not aimed as a response for you directly)

They have no fucking power. There's nothing they can do. All power they have is at the mercy of the GOP, who control everything.

Don't like it? Vote for dems instead of sitting out elections!
Your contempt for the disenfranchised is palpable. Why vote for Democrats when given the chance to fight, they do nothing?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
They can object to every call for consent and slow the procedures of the Senate to a complete crawl.

They can't stop the bill by doing it, but they could delay it by 1-2 weeks. If they push the bill past the next recess, that has a chance of actually killing it.

kirblar

Your contempt for the disenfranchised is palpable. Why vote for Democrats when given the chance to fight, they do nothing?
My contempt for complacent people who think you fight by throwing a tantrum and refusing to play the game is palpable, yes.

The Dems cannot fight this. Their votes are not relevant.

The GOP are not reacting to normal pressure. They re reacting to not wanting to get primaried.

PBY

Banned
They can object to every call for consent and slow the procedures of the Senate to a complete crawl.

They can't stop the bill by doing it, but they could delay it by 1-2 weeks. If they push the bill past the next recess, that has a chance of actually killing it.
THIS.

They need to focus every ounce of energy on this. Fuck Russia for now. Try to make this the story.

McConnell is already bypassing the committee review process. The idea that he is going to allow the AHCA vote to be pushed out by senate procedure is fantasy. He would just change the rules like we saw with Gorsuch.

kirblar

BREAKING: Deputy AG Rosenstein says he's seen no basis to fire special counsel probing contacts between Trump campaign and Russia.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/874637838981136384
Perhaps the only man in the administration with a spine.
McConnell is already bypassing the committee review process. The idea that he is going to allow the AHCA vote to be pushed out by senate procedure is fantasy. He would just change the rules like we saw with Gorsuch.
Exactly. All power held by the Dems is illusory. If they have it, it's because they're being allowed it.

dramatis

The Democrats are the disenfranchised right now.

How do they fight then, in a way that will be constructive to actually stopping the bill? Throwing tantrums does not work. Moreover, getting angry at the Democrats instead of at the Republicans who will actually pass the bill hurts the Democrats more and helps the Republicans. So that strategy is spectacularly bad.

Gotta disagree with you here, Kirblar. In this case kicking the can down the road a couple of weeks VASTLY increases the visibility and scrutiny of the Senate AHCA, and makes it that much more likely it fails. Obstruction has a real upside here.

Ed:I mean, blaming the Dems for passage is inane, but they should still try.

aTTckr

If Ryan and the rest of the congressional leadership react to a possible firing of Mueller as if nothing bad happened, then some doubts have to raised whether they are participants (or at least in the know) in the Russian interference and potential collusion with Trump in the 2016 election. Sure their behavior could also be explained by them only caring about passing tax cuts for the rich, but the leaked tape also seems to indicate that they at least suspected something is going on between Trump and Russia. But if they are this welcoming of stopping any investigation into the subject, it becomes increasingly suspicious that there is more to them than just trying to pass their tax cuts.

PBY

Banned
If Ryan and the rest of the congressional leadership react to a possible firing of Mueller as if nothing bad happened, then some doubts have to raised whether they are participants (or at least in the know) in the Russian interference and potential collusion with Trump in the 2016 election. Sure their behavior could also be explained by them only caring about passing tax cuts for the rich, but the leaked tape also seems to indicate that they at least suspected something is going on between Trump and Russia. But if they are this welcoming of stopping any investigation into the subject, it becomes increasingly suspicious that there is more to them than just trying to pass their tax cuts.
I think we need to pump the brakes here. Mueller hasn't even been fired.

kirblar

Gotta disagree with you here, Kirblar. In this case kicking the can down the road a couple of weeks VASTLY increases the visibility and scrutiny of the Senate AHCA, and makes it that much more likely it fails. Obstruction has a real upside here.

The public HATES the bill..

They are not reacting to traditional incentives here. Something else (their base) is warping the call here.

tuxfool

Banned
Then maybe people should prod the democrats to do something about it, instead of whining on a forum?

Either way it is kind of hard to fight against something that doesn't even exist in the public sphere. You can't criticize a bill that does not exist.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Oh look:

The Hill‏Verified account @thehill

Cindy McCain to get role in Trump's State Department: report http://hill.cm/sCIDjpz

Another piece of the puzzle falls into place.

As for the discussion about democrats, I agree that they could be doing more to delay. I follow a lot of democratic senators on social media and they aren't making anywhere near enough of a stink about this. They need to ALL be on there imploring people to start calling senators again. They aren't. I can't understand why.

Maledict

They can't kick it down the road. I don't think people exactly understand how this is working right now.

The filibuster is effectively gone. Senate procedure is gone. All the rules and systems that made the chamber what it was are being systematically destroyed by McConnel whenever they inconvenience him. If the republicans have 50 votes for this bill there is literally nothing the democrats can do.

Saying 'they need to fight' is meaningless, because they can't fight! The opponent won't even enter the ring!

The Democrats are the disenfranchised right now.

How do they fight then, in a way that will be constructive to actually stopping the bill? Throwing tantrums does not work. Moreover, getting angry at the Democrats instead of at the Republicans who will actually pass the bill hurts the Democrats more and helps the Republicans. So that strategy is spectacularly bad.
They can delay as much as they can. Force McConnell to stop them if they have to, but they should be trying. Beyond that, they should be getting with every media outlet possible to get out the message on this because very few people know there's even something going on. They can should be doing more to stop it.

kirblar

Oh please, it's going to happen. Let's be real.
I could be wrong, but I believe for it to happen, he has to fire Rosenstein, then get someone else to fire him, either from the DoJ or a nominated replacement. He can't do it directly himself.
They can't kick it down the road. I don't think people exactly understand how this is working right now.

The filibuster is effectively gone. Senate procedure is gone. All the rules and systems that made the chamber what it was are being systematically destroyed by McConnel whenever they inconvenience him. If the republicans have 50 votes for this bill there is literally nothing the democrats can do.

Saying 'they need to fight' is meaningless, because they can't fight! The opponent won't even enter the ring!
/|\

Seriously. It doesn't. Matter. If we try to use the rules to stall, the rules will be changed. This is why Obama not killing the fillibuster was such a fuckup.

Plinko

Did I miss this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom