• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
C_VjT43UIAAgcp9.jpg

Set. game. match.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_Minnesota,_2012

this is the same year Obama won the state by 7.7 points

she gets her electorate really well, she's a good speaker and is a decade younger than Hillary

She's not my first pick because she's too centrist for my tastes (especially since normally the DFL gives some of out best Democrats) but she'd be a strong candidate

Perhaps. I guess I just don't want to assume election performance in an open-minded state like Minnesota would carry over into a national election. It would be nice to see more democratic candidates hit the national spotlight, though.

So the (probable) new center-left president of South Korea is kind of homophobic!!!!

https://qz.com/970015/being-a-progressive-politician-in-korea-doesnt-stop-you-from-being-homophobic/

Moon Jae-in, the favorite to be South Korea’s next president, is generally regarded as the liberal in the fray. He’s a former human rights lawyer who spent years fighting for democracy in South Korea. Now, he also says he’s against homosexuality.

After eight years of conservative rule—which ended with the recent impeachment of president Park Geun-hye—Korea is almost guaranteed to have a more progressive leader. In Korea, though, that generally means a politician who plans to take a more conciliatory stance in dealing with North Korea, for example—at the risk of being labeled a North Korea sympathizer by conservatives—rather than a social progressive who will assume the mantle of defending the rights of minorities or promoting generous social welfare programs.

At a presidential candidate debate held on Tuesday (April 25), ahead of the May 9 election, conservative candidate Hong Jun-pyo of the Liberty Korea Party raised the issue of the status of gay men in the Korean military, after news reports emerged last week alleging that there was a witch-hunt for gay soldiers by army officials. Hong also blamed homosexuals for spreading HIV in Korea. When prompted by Hong—who is third in the polls—Moon said he agreed with him that gay soldiers could undermine Korea’s military. Moon then went on to say that he opposed homosexuality.

That’s probably all right with much of the Korean population, which remains largely conservative and religious. Less than 24% of Koreans said they had “no reservations about homosexuality,” according to a 2014 survey conducted by the Asan Institute for Policy Studies, a think tank.

“Why can’t some people see that the president should be supporting the sentiment of the majority of citizens, and that he isn’t a revolutionary warrior fighting for the rights of sexual minorities?” commented (link in Korean) a supporter of Moon.

Moon’s remarks were probably aimed at warding off competition from the centrist tech titan who’s current the second-favorite to win, said one political scientist.

“Moon is very vulnerable in terms of the conservative vote, which Ahn Cheol-soo has more of. Moon is vulnerable because of… the fear of conservatives that he’s going to give the store away to North Korea,” said Katharine Moon, a professor in political science at Wellesley College in Massachusetts (no relation to Moon Jae-in). “But even if Moon’s comments reflect over 50% of how the population feels about sexuality, it’s still a cheap shot.”

Thirteen LGBT rights activists were arrested after they staged a protest outside the National Assembly in Seoul in protest against Moon’s comments.

Yesterday (April 27), Moon tried to clarify (link in Korean) that his views are more nuanced than might have appeared at the debate. He said that he believes that there may be side effects if homosexuality were to be decriminalized in the military because “the military is a place where one’s gender is prominent. It is a little early to legalize homosexuality in the military.” However, he said that he thinks Korea should be “open about same-sex marriage” but since that it isn’t possible right now, marriage equality “should not be encouraged.”

“Many sexual minorities are still being discriminated and I wish for a world where they will not be discriminated and can live confidently,” Moon said, adding that one’s sexuality was a “private matter” that shouldn’t require the agreement or disagreement of others.

Ahn, the centrist candidate, has also said he does not favor legalizing same-sex marriage.

Only one of the 14 presidential candidates, Sim Sang-jung, has expressed clear support for gay rights, and said she would push for sexual minorities to be included in proposed anti-discrimination legislation that has been stymied by pressure from Christian groups for years. Sim, who heads the Justice Party, has been a long-time advocate (link in Korean) for minority rights in Korea, having established the women’s student council at Seoul National University as a student. She also once worked in secret as a factory worker, led a labor union (link in Korean), and was placed on a wanted list after her role in a major labor protest.

I'd kind of be excited to see Klobuchar as a GE nominee against Trump just to see what the final margin in Minnesota would be like.

Like you might as well run Jesus against Hitler.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Did Cornyn have any expectation that Yates wouldn't throw their previous confirmation hearing exchange back in his face with this question? Seems utterly moronic considering that was well covered.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Here are some fun details about Robert Mercer, financier of Breitbart and the Trump campaign.

Mercer Sued by Hedge Fund Worker Fired After Blasting Trump
The dispute started on Jan. 16 when Magerman called Mercer and asked to have a conversation about his support of Trump, according to the complaint. During the chat, Mercer said the U.S. had started going in the wrong direction “after the passage of the Civil Rights Act in the 1960s,” according to the complaint. Mercer also said that black Americans “were doing fine” in the late 1950s and are the “only racist people remaining in the U.S.,” according to the complaint.

“Magerman was stunned by these comments and pushed back,” according to the complaint. Reminded of the racial segregation that existed at the time, Mercer allegedly responded by saying those issues weren’t important.

After the phone call, Magerman complained about Mercer’s comments to Co-Chief Executive Officer Peter Brown, who "expressed disbelief" and urged the two men to speak again, according to the complaint. Magerman agreed and called Mercer back on Feb. 5.

"I hear you’re going around saying I’m a white supremacist," Mercer said, according to the complaint. During the call, Mercer "scoffed" at the idea that segregation was degrading and destructive, Magerman said.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Imagine thinking you're oppresssed because you're a college republican

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/....html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0&referer=

The New York Times sucks
These stories are always so awful. How about you ask these kids why they hold these beliefs instead of just letting them cry about people being mean to them? I bet most of them couldn't give you a very good answer beyond "Lower taxes!"

It's ironic that the Russian girl has the best insight of all of them. Though probably because she knows where this kind of crap leads.

I really need to find a way to change the circles I hang out in over in California.

Apparently the model representative according to people I meet is Tulsi Gabbard. To quote - "She's right. We have no idea what's going on with Syria."

Dianne Feinstein on the other hand - she's just a terrible Democrat, whose apparently never done anything in her life compared to Tulsi.

Dianne Feinstein is quite awful though.

Her voting record has some real awful shit in it, plus she was the archetype of the tough on crime Democrat back in the 90s.

Ernest

Banned
4 tweets in a row from the Cheeto in Chief about today's hearings...

That's a lot for something he's "not worried" about, truth being that he's shook as fuck.

I'm at skool and has no headphones. What did he say?

Basically:

Interviewer: "Do you think you should represent all Iowas in your decisions?"

Rep: "I only represent my district, I don't take into account voters from other districts."

Interviewer: "Would you take donations from Republicans from other districts?"

Rep: "This interview is over."

Diablos

Mark Meadows sure is wanting to get along with everyone now.

I definitely think something will pass and that's not good.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Basically:

Rep: "I only represent my district, I don't take into account voters from other districts."

Danke.

Wilsongt

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 3h3 hours ago

Biggest story today between Clapper & Yates is on surveillance. Why doesn't the media report on this? #FakeNews!
13,805 replies 6,334 retweets 21,919 likes

Only. Because. Your. Idiots. In. Congress. Made. Today. About. Surveillance. You. Piece. Of. Orange. Shit.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Basically:

I mean, quite a poor showing but it is literally not his job to represent voters outside of his district and I'm not really sure why he would be held to that standard.

Slacker

I mean, quite a poor showing but it is literally not his job to represent voters outside of his district and I'm not really sure why he would be held to that standard.

Look at it this way:

Reporter: Your decisions affect all Iowans.
Rep: No, I only represent my district.
Reporter: Would you take money from outside your district?
(interview ends)

The answer of course is yes, yes I would. And the logical next question is, "Why would someone donate money to you if your actions have no impact on them?" At that point he's painted himself into a corner and has to run out of the room anyway. This way in his mind he gets to be all "DAGUM BIASED MEDIA."

PBY

Banned
Look at it this way:

Reporter: Your decisions affect all Iowans.
Rep: No, I only represent my district.
Reporter: Would you take money from outside your district?
(interview ends)

The answer of course is yes, yes I would. And the logical next question is, "Why would someone donate money to you if your actions have no impact on them?" At that point he's painted himself into a corner and has to run out of the room anyway. This way in his mind he gets to be all "DAGUM BIASED MEDIA."
I mean this isn't an issue or a big deal on any level - he represents his district,but of course his actions have broader consequences. There isn't a gotcha here.

Slacker

I mean this isn't an issue or a big deal on any level - he represents his district,but of course his actions have broader consequences. There isn't a gotcha here.

I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing. :) I was just disputing Emerson's point that it's not the rep's job to represent people outside his district, and explaining why the guy didn't want to answer the question.

I agree for sure that his actions have broader consequences. It'd be nice if the rep knew/acknowledged that too.

chadskin

Oh Comey

FBI officials have privately acknowledged that Comey misstated what Abedin did and what the FBI investigators found. On Monday, the FBI was said to be preparing to correct the record by sending a letter to Congress later this week. But that plan now appears on hold, with the bureau undecided about what to do.
According to two sources familiar with the matter — including one in law enforcement — Abedin forwarded only a handful of Clinton emails to her husband for printing — not the “hundreds and thousands” cited by Comey. It does not appear Abedin made “a regular practice” of doing so. Other officials said it was likely that most of the emails got onto the computer as a result of backups of her Blackberry.
https://www.propublica.org/article/comeys-testimony-on-huma-abedin-forwarding-emails-was-inaccurate

mo60

I'd kind of be excited to see Klobuchar as a GE nominee against Trump just to see what the final margin in Minnesota would be like.

Like you might as well run Jesus against Hitler.

The final margin probably wouldn't be large. Probably around 5 to 7 points.Some of the same factors that helped trump almost win Minnesota will still be present in 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom