• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
The final margin probably wouldn't be large. Probably around 5 to 7 points.Some of the same factors that helped trump almost win Minnesota will still be present in 2020.
800px-Mn-sen-2012-2.png

nah

Klobuchar vs. Trump would be at least a double digit win. I'm not saying she'd do as well as her gaudy Senate margin in 2012 (she won 65-30) just because the presidential vote is usually a bit more polarized, but I would stake my account on the highly conditional event that if Klobuchar is the Dem nominee and Trump the GOP nom, Amy takes it by at least 10 points. You couldn't find a more perfect match-up for the DFL, a home state Democrat the state loves versus a GOP president we hate.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
My favorite part here is the part where Comey was going to send a letter and then didn't.
He can speak, or conceal, and oh lordy speaking would be really bad. That would be catastrophic!

What a coward.

Doesn't this correction put doubt on his story about thinking they would be unable to complete investigation before the election? And thus he was able to wait on results instead of running to congress.

Remember that one time that Trump threaten to pull funding for Black Colleges.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/08/us/politics/historically-black-colleges-omarosa-trump.html?_r=0

When President Trump signed a $1.1 trillion spending bill on Friday, he zeroed in on a tiny sliver of it, suggesting that he might disregard $20 million in funding for loan subsidies and other aid to historically black universities.

Two nights later, after a storm of criticism, the White House walked back the threat in a statement that declared the president's ”unwavering support" for such schools.

AntoneM

I mean, quite a poor showing but it is literally not his job to represent voters outside of his district and I'm not really sure why he would be held to that standard.

The response is so easy though. Like, a highschool debate team member could have answered that question.

"That is a great question and it deserves a full response (all that is biding time). I represent my district and to be able to do that to the fullest I have to meet and discuss issues from hundreds of representatives outside my district. That often means I need the support of those outside my district in order to best serve those people whom I represent."

pigeon

Banned
The response is so easy though. Like, a highschool debate team member could have answered that question.

"That is a great question and it deserves a full response (all that is biding time). I represent my district and to be able to do that to the fullest I have to meet and discuss issues from hundreds of representatives outside my district. That often means I need the support of those outside my district in order to best serve those people whom I represent."

I would probably just say "sure, I don't control who gives me money. Presumably they want to support me for their own reasons. Ask them!"

Teggy

Canada says Kushner called them. WH says Canada called Kushner. Hmmm, who to believe?

Also, trump took down his idiotic twitter header.

correct the record, you say?
Remember when liberals though Correct The Record was the devil incarnate, and then put up with a general election campaign filled with more lies and general disinformation than anyone had previously seen? Good times. I'm not exaggerating when I say I expect the next major D nominee to have a shadow internet organization behind them. They'd be wise to, at least.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Remember when liberals though Correct The Record was the devil incarnate, and then put up with a general election campaign filled with more lies and general disinformation than anyone had previously seen? Good times. I'm not exaggerating when I say I expect the next major D nominee to have a shadow internet organization behind them. They'd be wise to, at least.

Yea, if they were smart it'd be set up and no one would ever be allowed to talk about it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, if they were smart it'd be set up and no one would ever be allowed to talk about it.

Problem is if anyone found out about it, it'd be treated like a huge scandal if only because of the secrecy.

While if republicans did it, it'd just be another tidbit to add onto the pile.

Problem is if anyone found out about it, it'd be treated like a huge scandal if only because of the secrecy.

While if republicans did it, it'd just be another tidbit to add onto the pile.
If it ever got out, they could say they were planning to start a Reddit group! Instant cred and bring back in the old Bernie supporters anew! And seriously, they'll be up against r/t_d; They could murder kittens and post selfies with the corpses and it'd be less offensive than what they'll be up against. And people who frequent chan sites can't exactly claim superiority on secrecy.

Wait, I'm sorry. Italian politics question.

Renzi is head of the Democratic Party again? And Berlusconi is head of Forza Italia again? What the hell?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
That's all the revolution needs to support a Jimmy Carter 2020 run.

And speaking of Europe, man, it sucks that the SPD (center-left party) has slumped recently after spiking. Looks like Merkel is gonna get that 4th term.

German_Opinion_Polls_2017_Election.png

Black = CDU/CSU (center-right, Merkel)
Red: SPD (center-left, Schultz)

What actually is the point of hearings when you can just lie and then send through letters later.

The hearings are in the record forever so the goal for opposition is to get them to admit to things you can punish later when you take power. Yes, I doubt if Yates said she had proof of Trump personally emailing Putin for help in the election that anything would happen. But if we took the House, we'd impeach like crazy with that info.

chadskin

And speaking of Europe, man, it sucks that the SPD (center-left party) has slumped recently after spiking. Looks like Merkel is gonna get that 4th term.

The SPD also faces its worst election result since 1950 in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany's most populous state, this Sunday.
(2012: SPD 39%, CDU 26%)

All is not lost for Schulz though since campaigning for the Bundestag hasn't started in earnest yet. Above all, I think he needs to finally clarify who he'd want to work with should he win -- Greens and The Left or Greens and FDP.

Maledict

He can speak, or conceal, and oh lordy speaking would be really bad. That would be catastrophic!

What a coward.

Doesn't this correction put doubt on his story about thinking they would be unable to complete investigation before the election? And thus he was able to wait on results instead of running to congress.

Someone said earlier that Comey was a good example of a lawful good character from D&D, and I meant to respond to that. He's Lawful Neutral - his goal is to protect the institution (the FBI) above all else, no matter the consequences. Better to throw an election to a Russian agent than have people think the FBI concealed an investigation. Follow the text of the law (reveal the clinton investigation, don't reveal the trump one) and ignore the spirit and meaning of the law.

daedalius

Someone said earlier that Comey was a good example of a lawful good character from D&D, and I meant to respond to that. He's Lawful Neutral - his goal is to protect the institution (the FBI) above all else, no matter the consequences. Better to throw an election to a Russian agent than have people think the FBI concealed an investigation. Follow the text of the law (reveal the clinton investigation, don't reveal the trump one) and ignore the spirit and meaning of the law.

I said that, and yea I think you are right.

I think if he was lawful good, he may have thought twice about revealing an investigation into Hillary days before the election, and saying nothing about an FBI investigation into Trump that had been going since, what... June?

numble

Wait really?

Wait woah Reagan got 14% of the black vote in 1980? That seems kind of high for a guy who went to Misssissippi to give a speech about States' Rights.

Carter also got 83% of the black vote in 1976, and one of his major Democratic primary competitors was George Wallace.

Carter also got 83% of the black vote in 1976, and one of his major Democratic primary competitors was George Wallace.
Looking at other election years, Mondale actually has done the best of any non-Obama candidate with the black vote, getting 91% which is a point higher than Gore.

It's just too bad he did worse with the white vote than Hillary orz

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
US Seeks Evidence of Haitian Crimes as It Weighs Their Stay
WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is taking the unusual step of hunting for evidence of crimes committed by Haitian immigrants as it decides whether to allow them to continue participating in a humanitarian program that has shielded tens of thousands from deportation since an earthquake destroyed much of their country.

The inquiries into the community's criminal history were made in internal U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services emails obtained by The Associated Press. They show the agency's newly appointed policy chief also wanted to know how many of the roughly 50,000 Haitians enrolled in the Temporary Protected Status program were taking advantage of public benefits, which they are not eligible to receive.

The emails don't make clear if Haitian misdeeds will be used to determine whether they can remain in the United States. The program is intended to help people from places beset by war or disasters and, normally, the decision to extend it depends on whether conditions in the immigrants' home country have improved enough for them to return. But emails suggest Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly, who will make the decision, is looking at other criteria.

"I do want to alert you ... the secretary is going to be sending a request to us to be more responsive," Kathy Nuebel Kovarik, the USCIS head of policy and strategy, wrote on April 27. Addressing the inability of agency employees to gather the requested information about wrongdoing, she said: "I know some of it is not captured, but we'll have to figure out a way to squeeze more data out of our systems."

The request for criminal data for an entire community is unorthodox. The law doesn't specify it should be a consideration for Temporary Protected Status and the government has never said it would use criminal rates in deciding if a country's citizens should be allowed to stay under this program. Introducing new criteria is likely to cause consternation among law-abiding Haitians who may feel they are being penalized for the wrongdoing of their compatriots.
Another case of the Trump administration desperately trying to find evidence to support its hatred of immigrants.

Holmes

Oddly enough, the Putin/Trump effect? It's no secret that Merkel opposes them (and vice-versa).

chadskin

Oddly enough, the Putin/Trump effect? It's no secret that Merkel opposes them (and vice-versa).

So does Schulz, perhaps even moreso when it comes to Trump than Merkel.

SPIEGEL: Can you also learn something from the way in which Trump led his campaign?

Schulz: Yes. That one shouldn't run such a campaign under any circumstances. What baseness! The overstepping of all bounds necessary for the fundamental consensus of democracy! It takes my breath away.

SPIEGEL: Do you believe that Trump is a danger to democracy?

Schulz: Very much so. A person who brings the former head of the right-wing extremist Breitbart News into the National Security Council is gambling with the safety of the Western world. Donald Trump must be taken seriously. He is fulfilling his dangerous campaign promises.
SPIEGEL: How should Germany react to Trump?

Schulz: With a real strengthening of the EU. Trump has a clear goal: the division of Europe and the destruction of the European domestic market. The fact that Brexit propagandist Nigel Farage was the first European he received in his tower speaks volumes. That is why we must strengthen the European domestic market and work even more closely together in Europe. That is absolutely compulsory for Germany.

SPIEGEL: Do you think that Angela Merkel has thus far struck the correct chord with respect to Trump?

Schulz: Trump is the freely elected president of the U.S. and as such deserves respect. But she cannot remain silent in the face of actions that we cannot accept. Gerhard Schröder offered a clear German NEIN to an American president's war of aggression that was in violation of international law. That took courage. Ms. Merkel did not join him at the time. If Trump now begins to take the wrecking ball to our set of values, we must say clearly: That is not our approach.
http://www.spiegel.de/international...cellor-candidate-martin-schulz-a-1133475.html

chadskin

On Russia under President Vladimir Putin: "What Russia is doing is entirely unacceptable. The societal concept, the worldview, behind Russia's aggressive actions has absolutely nothing in common with our European philosophy of mutual respect."
http://www.dw.com/en/martin-schulz-from-pig-to-top-politician/a-37260095
"As long as the Minsk peace agreement is not fully implemented, the sanctions cannot be lifted. We must tell Putin very clearly that Russia is obliged to respect and defend international law," Schulz said.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-usa-schulz-trump-idUSKBN15G36B

He's been consistently critical of Putin throughout the years.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just catching up here--so Comey's testimony the other day about Abedin/Weiner emails was completely wrong? How does that even happen?

Diablos

Just catching up here--so Comey's testimony the other day about Abedin/Weiner emails was completely wrong? How does that even happen?
Starting to wonder if he's a biased hack trying to play it cool or just woefully incompetent, at least when it comes to things relating to tech

dramatis

Wait, I'm sorry. Italian politics question.

Renzi is head of the Democratic Party again? And Berlusconi is head of Forza Italia again? What the hell?
Man, I just envisioned a future in which Trump loses after one term but can't stand losing so comes back for another round

Wilsongt

Speaking alongside Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke about the Trump administration’s order to review — and potentially shrink or eliminate — nearly 30 national monuments, Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) said Native Americans were “manipulated” into their support for the 1.35 million acre Bears Ears National Monument southeastern Utah.

“The Indians, they don’t fully understand that a lot of the things that they currently take for granted on those lands, they won’t be able to do if it’s made clearly into a monument or a wilderness,” Hatch said on Sunday. “Once you put a monument there, you do restrict a lot of things that could be done, and that includes use of the land… Just take my word for it.”

Using old outdated terms and flat out lying?

Must be a spring Tuesday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom