• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thaedolus

See, this is the hysteria I'm talking about. Care to elaborate on this?

Have you not seen the hearings by our intelligence community about our election machines being under attack? Voter registration databases? Disinformation campaigns? Cyberwar is warfare. How is this hard to grasp or hysterical?

Can't wait to see Fox News reporting in the future that people dying from the AHCA don't actually exist and their loved ones weeping for their deaths should be killed alongside them.

chadskin

Of course they tried to influence the election...that's not my point at all. I haven't once disputed that in this thread...my initial post disputed collusion with Trump, not Russian meddling in the election.

In the weeks before President Donald Trump fired FBI Director James Comey, a federal investigation into potential collusion between Trump associates and the Russian government was heating up, as Mr. Comey became increasingly occupied with the probe.

Mr. Comey started receiving daily instead of weekly updates on the investigation, beginning at least three weeks ago, according to people with knowledge of the matter and the progress of the Federal Bureau of Investigation probe. Mr. Comey was concerned by information showing possible evidence of collusion, according to these people.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/james-...on-before-being-fired-u-s-official-1494433061

Of course they tried to influence the election...that's not my point at all. I haven't once disputed that in this thread...my initial post disputed collusion with Trump, not Russian meddling in the election.

I just don't believe that Trump won the election because of "Russian meddling". He won because Hillary Clinton was a terrible candidate that forgot about half the country, while Trump was pandering to them.

You had the option between shit and shittier during the election, and shittier won because he bullshitted better in the right places. Not because Russian propaganda brainwashed them.

I like how I can't disagree with anyone here without being called "alt-right' while I'm a Liberal voting Canadian. Fantastic.

I'd just love to see the Democratic party focused on finding a great candidate for 2020 instead of trying to get Trump impeached. Seems like a waste of resources.
Trump's margin of victory in key states was so small that you could point to any number of things and say "that's why she lost!" and you'd be right, in a sense. But by the same token, you can't *discount* the other factors. It's entirely possible that Hillary would have won, even with a flawed campaign strategy, if it weren't for Russian fake news propaganda plus the continued drip-feed of DNC + Podesta hacked emails.

Jesus fucking Christ.

They can't possibly pass this bill. Not because they actually have consciences, but because it would be electoral suicide. 15 million people in a year? Nightly stories of preventable deaths? 4 million middle-class people losing employer-sponsored insurance?

I simply can't believe it.
is it really electoral suicide?

Democrats actually have to be capable of unseating republicans in red areas the same way the GOP has been at the reverse

As in.. does this passing mean Ted Cruz loses his seat in Texas in 2018

They are correct for banking on that it won't. There's no reason right now to think that the democrats have their shit together to where they need to worry about it.

Democrats actually have to be capable of unseating republicans in red areas the same way the GOP has been at the reverse

They are correct for banking on that it won't. There's no reason right now to think that the democrats have their shit together to where they need to worry about it.

Absolutely this is suicide

Yes, this puts Ted Cruz squarely into play

They started messing with middle class white people. You don't do that. This is the single worst possible bill they could ever make for 2018.

I mean this is kind of the problem with telling people for years you can give them a better healthcare plan and then all of your options making more people uninsured.

I have zero faith in the far right wacko's but I'm going to love seeing the Moderate Darlings spin if they vote for this.

One of Heller, Collins or Murkowski is going to break.
It isn't enough for just three senators to stop this. The party can push one of them to take a dive

People like Ted need to be worried about their seat for this thing to stop

Absolutely this is suicide

Yes, this puts Ted Cruz squarely into play

They started messing with middle class white people. You don't do that. This is the single worst possible bill they could ever make for 2018.

And the increases for middle class old white people not yet at Medicare age, which ACA was great for, are insane.

If there was anything tangible at this point, we'd all know about it.

Except we already DO know lots of tangible stuff such as:

- Manafort having been paid millions of dollars to lobby for Putin
- Flynn having made calls to the Russian Ambassador to promise him that the sanctions would be lifted (violation of the Logan Act)
- Page basically admitting that he met with Kislyak multiple times and refuses to disclose what those meetings were about
- J D Gordon saying that he pushed to soften the Ukraine portion of the GOP platform under Trump's orders
- Russia having been involved in the hacks and leaks of democratic emails according to 17 different intelligence agencies as well as the FBI
- FBI having used the infamous steele dossier to get FISA warrants on Page
- Sessions having multiple undisclosed meetings with Kislyak which he suddenly has no recollection about although he admits he did as a Trump Foreign Policy Advisor
- The IC confirming that Kislyak is a Russian Spy Recruiter.
- Trump trying to get Comey to end the investigation into Flynn
- Flynn having illegally lobbied for the Turkish government while National Security Advisor
- Trump trying to get the DNI to lie about the Russia investigation to make him look better
- Trump firing Comey, lying about the reason for firing him, then later admitting that he fired him for doing the Russia investigation
- Roger Stone being in constant contact with Russian Hacker Guccifer 2.0

And that's just off the top of my head

The prime target surrounding the collusion narrative has been Michael Flynn, but at this point we know that his conversations with the ambassador (that people on both sides had, since...you know, it's his job) didn't amount to any actual collusion and he was cleared. Even the Washington Post admits this and they're not exactly unbiased:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/fbi-reviewed-flynns-calls-with-russian-ambassador-but-found-nothing-illicit/2017/01/23/aa83879a-e1ae-11e6-a547-5fb9411d332c_story.html?utm_term=.82e90b77f7eb

First off that was the FBI saying back in January that they weren't YET going to definitively say that Flynn committed a crime, and considering that we are already at the point where Flynn is literally asking for Immunity, that was clearly just the FBI holding that as leverage over Flynn.

Second, it's absolutely not just Flynn. Read my above portion for other people who are also suspected.

Basically, the entire investigation is based around people talking to someone who's Russian, at some point, about anything. That's all we've heard since the initial Flynn angle. Yet there's no smoking gun after 8 months and they won't find one 12 months from now either.

You don't get it. You think they would be after Flynn on a GUESS that he may have done something bad?

Guess what Obama did on the same night that it came out that Flynn had called the Russian ambassador?

THIS: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/...tude-to-share-intercepted-communications.html

Flynn isn't being investigated on a GUESS. Flynn is being investigated because the NSA already has the proof that he was colluding with Russia.

The Watergate investigation may have taken 2 years, but that was over 30 years ago. Information moves a hell of a lot faster now.

Information moves faster, but actual investigation still takes a long ass time.

Again - I'm not American, I'm not "on the right", I don't have a dog in any fight here. From an outsider's perspective, the entire thing has become fucking hilarious to an extent, with CNN's constant "BREAKING NEWS" about Russia, but the longer it drags on the more damage it causes - and I don't mean to Trump. The Democratic party is dying and instead of trying to pull itself together it's dragging along with this entire narrative. I really don't understand the point in continuing in this direction, he's not getting impeached. That's a pipedream.

I agree that it's very unlikely that Trump gets impeached, but the Russia investigation is NOT just about impeaching Trump, it's about:

- Tackling the issue of deliberate fake news
- Tackling issues about cybersecurity in America
- Tacking issues about vote integrity
- Understanding the extent of Russia's capabilities to undermine Western Secular Democracy (because it's not just the US they have been targeting. Don't believe me? Ask Germany and France.)

I agree that the GOP has the advantage of being a million times better at winning elections, however if there is one that can get almost every voter to hate Republicans, it would be Republicans passing a bill that completely fucks with their healthcare in VERY notable ways.

There was a recent survey that showed that 45% of voters say their most important issue is Healthcare. I doubt that is all democrats.

You guys underestimate just how evil all republicans are including the moderate darlings. We're past the point of thinking they have any feelings left in them.

Barzul

Wouldn't this crash the healthcare industry almost instantly?

What kind of market can sustain losing 15 million customers in a single year?

Definitely a lot of people are going to lose their jobs. ACA was completely positive for the HC industry, they were able to recoup the costs from people just showing up at the ER.

I mean this is kind of the problem with telling people for years you can give them a better healthcare plan and then all of your options making more people uninsured.

It was why Obama fought tooth and nail for even the crippled version of his healthcare bill. One for those things you can't put back in the box.

Domenico Montanaro‏Verified account
@DomenicoNPR

More
Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La., said the CBO score "makes me more concerned."

Republican senators need a level of concern alert meter to help us understand what this means. Are we yellow, orange, hot pink?

royalan

Wow...

Did we have a number for how many people would lose employer-based insurance before? I don't remember seeing a number for that for AHCA.

That 4 million might be even more damaging than 22, because it blows up so many GOP arguments.

These are people who WANT healthcare and are actively working and contributing to it...and 4 million of them are about to lose it.

Why do people accuse me of being alt-right just because all of my political posts are nothing but alt-right talking points about the FAKE NEWS Washington Post with a throwaway line about not supporting Trump?

Why do people accuse me of being alt-right just because all of my political posts are nothing but alt-right talking points with a throwaway line about not supporting Trump?

"Because I'm Canadian and Canada is so liberal and accepting I voted for Trudeau I can't possibly be alt-right."

Barzul

So premiums also go up in 2018 before tapering off in 2020 with more likely than not shittier benefits included in the plans. Rising premiums + 15 million kicked off insurance + 4 million of those currently getting insurance through work, in an election year? If they get rewarded for this, we might as well bow to our GOP overlords, because the party is Teflon.

Above posters are right, if with a law like this Democrats cannot do something radical like win Texas, similar to Brown back in 09, then the party is shit. This is an electoral gift. You could campaign on this for a decade.

I expect this bill will pass, the $300 billion deficit decrease gives McConnell a lot of leeway to bribe moderate Senators and probably brings Paul, Cruz and Lee back on board.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Remember--you can't always trust the CBO, am I right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom