• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Johm McCain has always always acted the same way.

Even when he was crashing planes and having his dad write it off for him. Even when he was coming in at the bottom of his class and being allowed to fly those planes in the first place despite not qualifying for it.

Careful. A gafer once sent me a mildly abusive pm when I linked to the McCain rolling stone bio.

Both, plus mild sanctions whiff.

Vixdean

DDbkA0XXYAAD0gE

God. Fucking. Damnit. How did we fuck up so badly to go from this to "covfefe". Thank god for bourbon.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
DDbkA0XXYAAD0gE

God. Fucking. Damnit. How did we fuck up so badly to go from this to "covfefe". Thank god for bourbon.

Philosophy don't put hot jerbs on the table, hippy. Only two big words an American Leader needs: therrmonucular and tremendous.

Teggy

JFC, Boris Epshtyn is now a senior political analyst for Sinclair, which means he is beaming propaganda into millions of homes via local news.

So... Due to a thread in OT I happened to go to aol.com and this was their front page article.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...nnity-he-would-endorse-communism-if/23007203/

Ann Coulter shreds Sean Hannity: 'He would endorse communism' if Trump did

The two firebrands have been feuding since last week, when Coulter accused Hannity of censoring from his show her comments about Trump's relationship with Goldman Sachs.

Coulter said she had criticized Trump's praise for his chief economic adviser Gary Cohn, the former Goldman Sachs president, whom he called one of the "great, brilliant business minds" on his Cabinet during a rally in Iowa last week.

Trump added that he did not want a "poor person" running the economy, and "that's the kind of thinking we want" — a line Coulter told Hannity she objected to.

I'm confused, is this a "broken clock is right twice a day" situation or is she just looking to follow George Will to MSNBC?

Hannity is a Trump bootlicker. Coulter is a Nazi. Whatever Trump's faults are, he's not a Nazi.

I mean in general, yeah, but there's an extra layer of confusion because the thing she's upset about is like, actually appropriate to be upset about. That Trump said he didn't want a "poor person" running the economy. That's some heinous bullshit and she's only mad at Hannity because he removed her comments saying that it was heinous bullshit.

It's just weird that I could ever think "that's quite legitimate of you, Ann Coulter."

I mean in general, yeah, but there's an extra layer of confusion because the thing she's upset about is like, actually appropriate to be upset about. That Trump said he didn't want a "poor person" running the economy. That's some heinous bullshit and she's only mad at Hannity because he removed her comments saying that it was heinous bullshit.

It's just weird that I could ever think "that's quite legitimate of you, Ann Coulter."
Ann Coulter is still a horrible person and a die-hard Trumper. From what I gather, she just really doesn't like Wall Street & Goldman Sachs. She'd rather have Trump focused on building the wall and deporting immigrants, like he promised. She wants the pure Campaign Trump, while Hannity doesn't care and will reflexively support whatever Trump says.

benjipwns

Banned
So... Due to a thread in OT I happened to go to aol.com and this was their front page article.

I'm confused, is this a "broken clock is right twice a day" situation or is she just looking to follow George Will to MSNBC?
I mean you realize commentators move from network to network all the time right? George Will was at ABC for 30 years before he spent the last four at Fox.

And people of the same political wing disagree all the time, somebody mention Bernie, quick it's been pages since we discussed how bad Hillary was,
just think if she was a former NeoGAF.com moderator
. Michael Savage has basically spent the last few years, since he swapped spots with him, calling Hannity a hack with no principles who does anything the GOP wants too.

But in any case I came across this old hot fire from Coulter earlier today and I'm posting it now because of you:
Coulter held that the many mentions of support for Israel made by the Republican candidates was virtue-signalling to ensure that Jews supported the candidates and by overuse of this signalling the GOP was descending into pointless pandering.

She stated "My point was this whole culture of virtue-signalling where debates are about nothing. Look, Republicans all agree 100 percent that we are pro-Israel, pro-Life, pro-gun. So why do we spend so much time on these issues? It's just pandering, so who are they pandering to? ...My tweet was about Republicans and the pandering. It wasn’t about Israel, it wasn’t about Jews. It's what Republicans are thinking in their little pea brains. I could say the same thing about evangelicals. Who are you pandering to? A lot of it is to Sheldon Adelson and the evangelicals... This kind of suck-uppery is humiliating. ...There is no doubt that the Republican Party is the party of Israel and of Life. So why keep sucking up on Israel?"
boom roasted

Ann Coulter: "Don't say poors can't be in the cabinet. Let them fight each other for the privilege."

What a Moderate Darling who believes in meritocracy and social mobility. I bet MSNBC wishes they hadn't renewed O'Donnell's contract. #bothsides

Kevinroc

Trump claims GOP has a 'big surprise' on healthcare

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...ms-gop-will-have-a-big-surprise-on-healthcare

President Trump claimed Wednesday that Senate Republicans have a "big surprise" on their healthcare bill, while also declaring the measure is coming "along very well."

"Healthcare is working along very well," Trump said after meeting with baseball players from the Chicago Cubs, according to a White House press pool report. "We're gonna have a big surprise. We have a great healthcare package."

When asked for further clarification about his remarks, the president repeated his claim about a big surprise.

"We're going to have a great, great surprise," he said.

Trump also brushed off Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer's (D-N.Y.) request that he meet all Senate lawmakers to discuss a bipartisan healthcare deal, saying the Democratic leader is "not serious."

"I don't think he's serious. He hasn't been serious," Trump said, according to the pool report. "ObamaCare is such a disaster. And he wants to try and save something that's hurting a lot of people. It's hurting a lot of people."

Earlier Wednesday, Trump said passing the ObamaCare repeal-and-replace measure will be “tough,” adding that GOP lawmakers can “get it done.”

The president's comments about a big surprise come as Republicans are facing an upward battle to get enough lawmakers on board, with five GOP senators saying they will not vote for a motion to begin debate on the bill.

Their decision came after a Congressional Budget Office (CBO) analysis revealed the measure would leave 22 million more people uninsured over a decade.

The GOP opposition to the bill in the Senate forced Republican leadership to delay a vote until after the July 4 recess.

Kevinroc

And of course, the follow-up to this article...

GOP infighting erupts over healthcare bill

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/339956-gop-infighting-erupts-over-healthcare-bill

Senate Republicans are struggling mightily to find a path forward for their ObamaCare repeal bill, with infighting between moderates and conservatives threatening to create an impasse heading into the July Fourth recess.

GOP leaders say they want to have an agreement on changes to the legislation by Friday, but senators said they made virtually no progress at a lunch meeting on Wednesday. In fact, the two sides appeared to grow further apart.

Conservatives represented by Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) squared off against moderates led by Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) over lunch, according to lawmakers who attended.

They battled over Cruz’s “Consumer Freedom” proposal, which would allow companies to sell health insurance plans that don’t meet the requirements of the Affordable Care Act.
Collins and other moderates expressed strong opposition to the plan, fearing that it would lead to sicker Americans becoming segregated in the insurance markets.

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), meanwhile, continued to chastise leadership for not running a more open process in drafting the legislation and ignoring many ideas from rank-and-file colleagues — criticisms he has voiced over the past few weeks.

One senator described the talks as “running in circles.”

Cruz, leaving the lunch, told reporters that most of the discussion was about proposed market reforms to “reduce premiums to make health insurance more affordable for families who are struggling.”

Collins, who is worried about projections that millions of people will lose coverage under the Senate bill, said she remains concerned with “a number of aspects such as coverage, the Medicaid cuts.”

“Tinkering around the edges, adding a bit more money isn’t going to be the answer,” she said.

Walking out of the meeting, Senate Republican Whip John Cornyn (Texas) said leadership is aiming to come up with a bill by Friday that both moderates and conservatives can embrace, allowing a vote for the week after the July Fourth recess.

Cornyn said leaders want “to get a bill we can then get scored” by the Congressional Budget Office.

But several Senate Republicans scoffed at the timeline, saying it’s far too optimistic to think a deal can be reached in the next few days.

When asked about the prospects of getting a new bill by Friday, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) joked to reporters, “And pigs could fly!”

Collins, fellow moderate Sen. Dean Heller (R-Nev.) and conservative Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) all signaled this week they were unlikely to move from no to yes on the legislation by Friday.

Heller said during a tele-town hall meeting Tuesday that he does not think GOP colleagues are “anywhere close” to a deal and warned it would be “very difficult to get me to a yes,” according to Nevada political commentator Jon Ralston, who reported on the event.

Paul declared after the Wednesday lunch that the GOP conference is at “an impasse.”

He objects to core aspects of the bill as “new entitlements,” including refundable tax credits to help people afford coverage and billions of dollars in a “stabilization fund” intended to bring down premiums.

Paul told reporters after the GOP lunch Wednesday that he suggested taking the stabilization fund out of the bill and passing it in a separate measure with Democratic votes. But he said his ideas did not go over well with his colleagues, likening his proposal to a “lead balloon.”

Collins on Wednesday said it’s time to work with Democrats instead of trying to win over 50 of 52 Republicans, including conservative holdouts such as Cruz, Paul and Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah).

“It’s hard for me to see how we get there. I think a better approach would be to try to involve some moderate Democrats in the process and see if we can come up with a bipartisan bill,” she said. “It’s never good to pass major legislation without the input of both parties.”

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) postponed a vote he hoped to hold this week on the healthcare bill after five members of his conference warned they would vote against a motion to begin debate.

After he delayed the vote, three other Republicans — Sens. Rob Portman (Ohio), Shelley Moore Capito (W.Va.) and Jerry Moran (Kan.) — announced they opposed the measure.

A variety of Republican senators cycled in and out of McConnell’s Capitol office Wednesday as he scrambled to keep the legislation from collapsing.

He met with Alaska Sens. Lisa Murkow-ski and Dan Sullivan, who are worried about whether the bill’s tax credits are generous enough to help constituents buy insurance in a state where healthcare costs are several times more expensive than other parts of the country.

Moderates who worry the bill’s tax credits are not generous enough are wondering whether some of ObamaCare’s tax increases, such as a 3.8 percentage-point increase on capital gains, should be kept in place.

“I do not see a justification for doing away with the 3.8 percent tax on investment income, because that is not something that increases the cost of healthcare,” Collins told reporters.

Keeping that tax increase, however, would outrage conservatives.

McConnell also met with Capito, who wants to raise the cap on Medicaid spending that would cut the program by $160 billion in 2026 compared to current law.

After 2025, the Senate bill sets a less generous formula than included in the House-passed bill to index Medicaid to inflation.

Conservatives led by Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.), who had a role in drafting the bill, said the stricter Medicaid inflation formula is “very important.”

Also on the conservative side, an aide to Lee said his boss had not yet met in person with McConnell, but that their two staffs were working on a change related to the ability of states to opt out of ObamaCare regulations.

The ability for states to repeal more of those regulations is key for Lee, as it is for Cruz and other conservatives.

Aside from the moderates, some Republican senators are growing impatient with conservatives holding out after campaigning for years to repeal ObamaCare.

Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) grumbled that conservatives, whom he called “recalcitrants,” are inadvertently helping the Democrats keep the controversial law intact.

He said Democrats may eventually bring about “socialized Medicine” and warned “it may take a few of these conservative Republicans to help the Democrats be able to do that to us.”

Tommy DJ

lmao health care isn't an iPhone launch. I suspect most people don't want surprises, they just want to know that they're not going to pay $200,000 if they get sick.

You guys aren't giving me any credit here. I'm not saying Coulter calling out Hannity erases any of the vileness that composes her very being. I'm just saying it's weird because I've never agreed with any other thing said by the woman before and it just feels odd this one time.

And the MSNBC thing was just a joke concerning MSNBC hiring Will, who is also a terrible human, just because he's a conservative willing to criticize Trump.

Huh

Isn't that a flip of fate? It's always been the Liberals trying to appeal towards the middle, the moderates, but now it's the conservatives having to appeal to the middle more, whilst the Left are free to further move left.

Now, if the Left can take advantage of that..

They aren't trying to appeal to the middle. They are trying to appeal to the not far right.

There is no middle representation in the GOP

They aren't trying to appeal to the middle. They are trying to appeal to the not far right.

There is no middle representation in the GOP

Which would be the middle in both a figurative sense, and literal sense sense the moderates are closer to the left than the far right, therefore middle.

I'm stupefied whenever I see a Republican suggest the Democrats work with them on this. How? Why would they want to roll back the Medicaid expansion or reduce the tax rates or get rid of essential benefits or bring back preexisting conditions or get rid of the individual mandate? Anything like that would be strictly worse than leaving the law in place. Compromise is about getting something in return so what would they even get in return?

Chumley

Banned
I'm stupefied whenever I see a Republican suggest the Democrats work with them on this. How? Why would they want to roll back the Medicaid expansion or reduce the tax rates or get rid of essential benefits or bring back preexisting conditions or get rid of the individual mandate? Anything like that would be strictly worse than leaving the law in place. Compromise is about getting something in return so what would they even get in return?

Makes me want to drive my head through my desk. It's fucking nonsense for so many reasons.

The privilege of working with their #RealAmerican overlords.

Democrats should tell them to kick rocks. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain by letting Republicans handle this burden alone.

Meh wake me up when they're actually close instead of moving less than an inch.

I'm simply happy they have to make concessions when they control the goddamn house.

Like, in a conservatives mind, they'd think they'd be passing bills left and right. But they can't even get that right!

benjipwns

Banned
They're operating in a completely different and separate system than you are. Same as when the Democrats were trying the same con.

Just watch all of Yes, Minister/Prime Minister and every answer regarding politics is always answered at some point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vidzkYnaf6Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pQcNKFoIDE

At times I even wonder why we bother to pretend political science wasn't finished when this was made and we could wrap it up and go do something productive instead.

chadskin

When former Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort belatedly filed as a foreign agent on behalf of a pro-Russian Ukrainian political party this week, he listed a meeting with just one U.S. politician — Rep. Dana Rohrabacher of Huntington Beach.
Rohrabacher told the Los Angeles Times on Wednesday that the March 2013 meeting happened over dinner at the Capitol Hill Club, a popular Washington Republican social club.
Three days later, Manafort contributed $1,000 to Rohrabacher's reelection campaign. Manafort's "modest" donation didn't stand out, Rohrabacher said.
Rohrabacher's opponents immediately began fundraising off the revelation that Manafort met with the congressman while serving as a foreign agent. Democrat Harley Rouda, who's running for Rohrabacher's seat in 2018, called it "embarrassing" in a solicitation email Tuesday.

"We need someone who cares more about Orange County and America than supporting Russia and Putin," Rouda's email stated.
http://www.latimes.com/politics/ess...eting-with-manafort-1498680385-htmlstory.html

Welcome to the OC, bitch!

benjipwns

Banned

By contrast, Harley Rouda, a real estate executive who is challenging Mr. Rohrabacher, said he would run a campaign based on the notion of “moving our country back to the center.” Mr. Rouda has a history of donating money to Republicans; he gave to the presidential campaign of Gov. John Kasich of Ohio.
Harley Rouda said:
Join me, let’s send a clear message that it’s time for a change for the better and that it is time for career politicians like Rohrabacher to get a real job.
Harley Rouda is a successful businessman, philanthropist and attorney, who created the firm Real Living, and now serves on the board of, or as an advisor to, firms in real estate, retail, and a variety of other industries.
A sometimes Republican businessman specializing in real estate and a variety of other industries defeating career politicians?!?

Rouda/KanderOssoffPerez 2020!!

McAuliffe/Fieger 2020

PBY

Banned
People are obsessed with possibly the biggest story of the decade, now why would that be...

Its outsized though. I don't know if that data is accurate, but if it is - that's trash.

The Russia story is big, but it CANNOT overshadow those other stories, which are much more important imo.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I feel the same. Makes no sense at all. They'd have to rewrite the entire thing.

The privilege of working with their #RealAmerican overlords.

Democrats should tell them to kick rocks. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain by letting Republicans handle this burden alone.

I wouldn't, actually. I'd show up, propose public option/Medicare for all, then tell the American people that they tried to help give them what they want, but the GOP refused in favor of cutting taxes for the rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom