• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Good luck with that in the House.

I thought the House made it clear they would pass anything the Senate threw their way. Or would this actually cause them to get upset? Saying they got to "repeal Obamacare" seems too tempting for them I feel.

Then again that is also the same Corker who if I recall correctly didn't even seem to know the tax cuts were in the bill to begin with.

Gruco

Banned
It's worth pointing out that if the GOP decides to accept the premise of high income taxes to help fund low income uninsured, that's an astonishing win in and of itself and a sign of how far Obama managed to move the Overton window. It's also brutally difficult for them to do anything without preseving the mandate and preexisting condition ban. At that point we're just talking about essential benefits and the ratio of premiums and subsidies across the population.

Those are all important, but much less dramatic of a threat than we've been talking about until now.

Obviously we don't really have details to go on and there's no sign that this would get anywhere, but it's hard to see the fact that we're even talking about this as anything other than a win.

Ernest

Banned
DDfXzKEVYAAluwV.jpg:large

"don't watch anymore"

DDfY8VFVoAAQoCF.jpg:large

"He became President of the United States in that moment, period."

Gruco

Banned
I thought the House made it clear they would pass anything the Senate threw their way. Or would this actually cause them to get upset? Saying they got to "repeal Obamacare" seems too tempting for them I feel.

For many in the House, this is the entire point. The HFC in particular will not be super keen on stamping their approval on Obama's progressive tax hikes and benefits. Even if they end up rolling, it's like "oh no, we got the House Freedom caucus to agree with progressive taxes and expanding the social safety net"

Zolo

I'm still at the point where I don't see the House not passing what gets sent back to them when they're so close to repealing Obamacare.

Blader

I'm still at the point where I don't see the House not passing what gets sent back to them when they're so close to repealing Obamacare.

yeah, I don't think we should see the House as being anything but a rubber stamp for whatever the Senate passes. If the bill doesn't die in the Senate, it will become law.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

What exactly does "repeal obamacare" mean?

Because this bill doesn't really repeal anything, it just cripples the existing system. The only actual repeal is the tax cut, and if you drop that what even are you doing?

Because this bill doesn't really repeal anything, it just cripples the existing system. The only actual repeal is the tax cut, and if you drop that what even are you doing?

Changing the mandate so that its a more convoluted mandate.

Thaedolus

I'm not sure about the tiny hands thing but i saw them go in hard on him for listening to his fucking idiot 35 year old son in law over the goddamn Secretary of State.

Well they have to call it a repeal since they duped a bunch of voters into putting them into power.

Dems call it repeal since they don't want any of it weakened.

Help some billionaires afford more beach houses. Change the name of the law on the books so it isn't the black liberal guy's bill any more.

What a piece of irredeemable human filth. These episodes where he demeans and degrades people affect me more than almost anything else. How can I teach my students to be good people when they can just say, "If the President does it, why can't I?" How can we as a society claim to value respect and tolerance when we elect a leader who scoffs at those values? Every day, he exacerbates this atmosphere of hate, stupidity, and incivility; he acts in a way that should be unacceptable in any polite setting.

I've gotten fucking sick of it.

Ogodei

What a piece of irredeemable human filth. These episodes where he demeans and degrades people affect me more than almost anything else. How can I teach my students to be good people when they can just say, "If the President does it, why can't I?" How can we as a society claim to value respect and tolerance when we elect a leader who scoffs at those values? Every day, he exacerbates this atmosphere of hate, stupidity, and incivility; he acts in a way that should be unacceptable in any polite setting.

I've gotten fucking sick of it.

You tell the students that assholes might be successful, but everyone will hate them. Is there evidence that Trump's ever been, like, happy with himself and his life?

kirblar

So I just left my house to go to work for the day. As I left my door, I saw tiny flags all over the neighborhood (were new construction that completely finished within the past year.) I smile and go to look at the note attached to each of em, assuming it's from the HOA.

Its not. Its from Comstock and the local delegate. Holy shit they're going guns blazing. All started the moment the D primary ended.

jmdajr

You tell the students that assholes might be successful, but everyone will hate them. Is there evidence that Trump's ever been, like, happy with himself and his life?

The dude literally has no friends. They are all business partners. I think he missed out on what it means to be be human.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Even with the increased subsidies, the health bill is still worse than ACA. This shouldn't be considered a win by any means.

If you agree that pre-existing condition discrimination is bad, you agree that the mandate is necessary, full stop. If this isn't obvious, I would encourage more background reading on adverse selection.

I don't agree with the current mandate penalty. I think if you want compulsory insurance then it should be set up in a manner like Japan as an example. Many people should be allowed to take personal responsibility.

I don't agree with the current mandate penalty. I think if you want compulsory insurance then it should be set up in a manner like Japan as an example. Many people should be allowed to take personal responsibility.
If people "take personal responsibility," as you frame it, the market then collapses due to healthy people opting out of insurance. Not to be condescending, but people have been explaining this for almost a decade now.

If people "take personal responsibility," as you frame it, the market then collapses due to healthy people opting out of insurance. Not to be condescending, but people have been explaining this for almost a decade now.

There are a number of universal systems that haven't collapsed as a result of not imposing penalties on individuals. You should read other material or travel around the world to see how the US can be better.

There are a number of universal systems that haven't collapsed as a result of not imposing penalties on individuals. You should read other material or travel around the world to see how the US can be better.

It's the Swiss and Dutch model we're following. They handle a lot of their healthcare through private insurers and require people purchase it or face penalties.

Whoah, what, wait, whoah, what? Wait. What?

Why would you penalize people in a universal system where they don't have to purchase their own health coverage because it's universal?

Edit: Unless you mean universal as something other than a single-payer or public option system.

I don't see how it's "personally responsible" for anyone except the ultra-wealthy to opt out of having health insurance. You can live the most healthy lifestyle possible and still be stricken with a serious illness that requires very expensive treatment. Without insurance, you either go without treatment and possibly die, or you can go to the ER and be billed in amounts that you can never afford, go bankrupt, and force other parties to cover the cost of the care you received.

Big if passed.

Seems like something both parties would agree to as far as giving more power to Congress?

Congress has given the President a blank check to wage war since 9/11 (since before that really, but it was codified after 9/11). A bipartisan move to remove that power is something that I would support no matter who was President.

I don't think this will pass through Congress and I don't think they could override the inevitable Veto, but this amendment going anywhere is a huge shift. The GOP never even tried to do this to Obama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom