• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Wait why does "the left" (whatever that means) hate Holder?

Why is it a problem if he runs - don't we want a large field as long as they are all real candidates with some government experience? Not that I expect him to win the primaries nor would I expect him to go "burn it all down" once its clear he won't win the primary.

What's the problem?

teiresias

Wait why does "the left" (whatever that means) hate Holder?

Why is it a problem if he runs - don't we want a large field as long as they are all real candidates with some government experience? Not that I expect him to win the primaries nor would I expect him to go "burn it all down" once its clear he won't win the primary.

What's the problem?

He's not likely to be endorsed by currently-under-FBI-investigation Sanders.

PBY

Banned
The critiques of Holder are valid - he is a champion for Wall Street, and his record is fairly clear on this. He also represents the revolving door of private practice --> government oversight ---> private practice. Read up on his record and his memos published while in public office.

He totally should run though, I like the idea of a deep field, but he's going to get raked.

benjipwns

Banned
why do you guys think i try to downplay all the fanatical THIS IS THE ONE, TRUMP IS DONE FINALLY, THIS IS THE BIGGEST CRIME IN HISTORY, UNPRECEDENTED EXCEPT FOR THE LAST FIFTY TIMES from dudes like RPGCrazied, you're ruining the impact of my twitter tick tock hype train with your threads every day on every time Trump tweets anything

The critiques of Holder are valid - he is a champion for Wall Street, and his record is fairly clear on this. He also represents the revolving door of private practice --> government oversight ---> private practice. Read up on his record and his memos published while in public office.

He totally should run though, I like the idea of a deep field, but he's going to get raked.

As we've said, that might be the point. His candidacy would serve the same purpose as Elizabeth Warren's: sopping up some of the anger and Republican and/or left-wing smears so the ACTUAL candidate can emerge relatively unscathed.

Barzul

I hate the concept of collateral consequence he created with that 99 memo. It pisses me off to no end, but when the alternative is Donald Trump....the choice is obvious.

It is interesting that we haven't seen more Attorneys General run for president. Prosecutors love to run for state office -- you'd think we would have more candidates than just RFK, at least on first blush.

PBY

Banned
I hate the concept of collateral consequence he created with that 99 memo. It pisses me off to no end, but when the alternative is Donald Trump....the choice is obvious.

Well sure. I just want the Dems to field the absolute best candidate they can to inspire people - and I feel like Holder slots in perfectly to the standard critiques that its an elitist party that is out of touch.

benjipwns

Banned
former Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown?

Lincoln Chafee? (said he's considering it again lol)

Janet Napolitano?

Brian Schweitzer? (that one's for PD, pour one on the curb)

benjipwns

Banned
It is interesting that we haven't seen more Attorneys General run for president. Prosecutors love to run for state office -- you'd think we would have more candidates than just RFK, at least on first blush.
There's a larger number of ones who have held some form of elected office before and then run for President.

Mitchell Palmer, Wilson's AG, was partly using the first Red Scare and the Palmer Raids as part of his bonafides for his presidential campaign. But he had served a couple terms in the House before becoming AG.

Richard Olney, Judson Harmon, and Philander Knox were all turn of the century AG's who ran for President and did fairly decently for what they were working with, but that was both pre-primaries and also they had been like Governor or something.

It used to be a great way to get on the Supreme Court. But Tom Clark was the last one I think. Like half the AG's from 1850-1940 wound up on the court or got nominated for it.

Barzul

"The left" can't even win primaries, yet I'm supposed to bank on them to win the WH, nah we need a wider net.

American politics comes down to two factors when you boil it down. Race (fear of the other) and class. But the race divide is definitely larger, I mean it's driven our politics for centuries. To succeed, you need a candidate that can sooth that fear while espousing positive policy to boost the class equality.

Why did so many white Obama voters switch to Trump? He told them he'd fix race and all the talk about it (take it back to the old days) and that he would bring their jobs and they could cherry pick them. Too bad-for them-he was lying his ass off the whole time. Obama also knew this also, how to strike the balance. He was also the 1st black president, we were always going to come to bat for him in record numbers to shore up his totals. There is a reason popular opinion on him didn't fully turn till the periods after Trayvon and the 2nd coming of the civil rights movement aka BLM. In '08 and '12, he visited all those small Iowa, Ohio and Wisconsin towns that Clinton ignored and because of that he was able to blunt his deficits and win the bigger bluer cities.

Anyways, I simply want to win, I don't care for the perfect candidate, only the one that will push this country leftward. I wish I could trust a candidate in Sanders ilk could do it, but I don't.

Well sure. I just want the Dems to field the absolute best candidate they can to inspire people - and I feel like Holder slots in perfectly to the standard critiques that its an elitist party that is out of touch.

Sure I accept that, but if he was the candidate I'd vote for him.

Ac30

former Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown?

Lincoln Chafee? (said he's considering it again lol)

Janet Napolitano?

Brian Schweitzer? (that one's for PD, pour one on the curb)

Oh God, why. His defense for that vote people kept bringing up was the cringe moment of the Democrat debates for me.

That just sounds like dark shit considering the apparent connections from the source, and I'm not ready for it.

Yeah, we've heard rumors for months that our allies' ICs have some real shit.

I want
pee pee tape
confirmation of Trump's direct involvement, preferably supplemented by audio or video of some sort because people in this country won't fucking read.

And then I want Santa to bring me a pony and Barbie's Dream House and Christopher Steele in only a Santa hat because he's a sexy British daddy.

Christmas in July, y'all.

Barzul

Michael Bloomberg/Jay Nixon 2020!

I'd sure as hell take that right now over Trump. We'd still be making efforts to meet the Paris goals right now. As long as he runs as a Democrat in 2020, he is welcome to jump into the fray, GOP benefited from the theatrics of their primary process...which was only possible with their big candidate pool.

Barzul

Trump has such a hard on for being perceived as better than Obama.

@ddale8

Speaking beside SK's president, Trump takes a shot at Obama/Clinton re the SK trade deal: "You know who signed it. You know who wanted it."

benjipwns

Banned
Bloomberg will be 78 in 2020. Your NYC Mayor in the race will be de Blasio and you'll like it.

Also, I can't imagine Jay Nixon has a political career after Ferguson.

Lo-Volt

Trump has such a hard on for being perceived as better than Obama.

Like, damn.

From a left-wing, worker's rights and fair trade perspective, I am not the biggest fan of some of these trade deals either. But youre gonna talk like that in front of the South Korean president, though?

This is how American power ends: loose lips and a total misunderstanding that protocol isn't some thing to pee on to look cool, but an act of respect that gets reciprocated. And not a moment too soon if this country is going to engage in acts of strategically deaf dumb shit. Just hurry up with it.

Why y'all down on mark zuckerberg

Plutocrats do a good job
This is literally a picture of you:

1305249_1384796574289_full.jpg

benjipwns

Banned
i'll help you guys out by running in the Democratic primary as the REAL left-wing option, with a version of this as my platform:
[Wilhelm] Weitling urged installing communism by physical force with the help of a 40,000-strong army of ex-convicts. A prelapsarian community of goods, fellowship, and societal harmony would then ensue, directed by Weitling himself.

Much to Marx and Engels’s annoyance, Weitling’s giddy blend of evangelism and protocommunism attracted thousands of dedicated disciples across the Continent.

Lo-Volt

Which is hilarious since, just five months into his presidency, he'll already go down as one of the worst presidents in US history.

He's really our era's President Buchanan. This presidency is going to be the line of delineation between whatever was before and the significantly different America that gets ushered in by this shitshow.

There's a larger number of ones who have held some form of elected office before and then run for President.

Mitchell Palmer, Wilson's AG, was partly using the first Red Scare and the Palmer Raids as part of his bonafides for his presidential campaign. But he had served a couple terms in the House before becoming AG.

Richard Olney, Judson Harmon, and Philander Knox were all turn of the century AG's who ran for President and did fairly decently for what they were working with, but that was both pre-primaries and also they had been like Governor or something.

It used to be a great way to get on the Supreme Court. But Tom Clark was the last one I think. Like half the AG's from 1850-1940 wound up on the court or got nominated for it.
That is interesting stuff. Have any relatively recent federal AGs gone back to run for state office? Is it just too much of a step backwards or are they too old by then?

Well how many popular, charismatic AGs are there?
I feel like there aren't all that many charismatic politicians period these days. But the job feels like a good platform for a flat personality to run off of anyway.

He's really our era's President Buchanan. This presidency is going to be the line of delineation between whatever was before and the significantly different America that gets ushered in by this shitshow.
He's passed more legislation than every president in like 50 years and he's about to usher in a golden era of healthcare access

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom