• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

So they are basically saying "hey Mueller, these are real, we've got them if you want them, otherwise we'll eventually release them".

This has nothing to do with Mueller and the Russia probe. Just another ethics breach that Trump and his goons have stepped into.

Paches

He's such a nincompoop.

"I fired Comey because of the Russia thing!"
"I tried to blackmail TV hosts!"

He's a prosecutor's dream criminal.

Rap snitches, telling all their business
Sit in the court and be their own star witness
Do you see the perpetrator? - Yeah, I'm right here
Fuck around, get the whole label sent up for years

This has nothing to do with Mueller and the Russia probe. Just another ethics breach that Trump and his goons have stepped into.

Right. This tabloid shit just damages his reputation further. A wise man once said that scandals don't cause low approval ratings; low approval ratings cause scandals. The more stupid shit like this hurts him, the more susceptible he'll be to important Russia shit.

tbm24

I can imagine some people would have wanted this stuff aired out as it happened, but even more people sitting on Trump dirt seems to be paying off in the long run.

This would absolutely be within Mueller's purview. Remember, the negative coverage that Trump was trying to stop here was about Russia. This is a potentially criminal act that was committed to effect the Russia story.

Kevinroc

A new poll shows the health care bill could crush Senate Republicans

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/6/30/15900564/health-bill-politics-midterms

The poll numbers for Senate Republican candidates take an approximately 30-point hit when voters learn they’re supporting their party’s bill to repeal and replace Obamacare, according to a poll set to be released on Friday.

The poll found that, in a vacuum, voters in 10 battleground states are split almost evenly about Republican senate candidates — with 21 percent of voters viewing them favorably and 20 percent viewing them unfavorably.

But when told their Republican senate candidates supported the GOP’s health care bill, voters turned sharply against their representatives. In that case, the candidates’ unfavorability rating jumps from 21 percent to 52 percent, according to the new polling from Priorities USA and Senate Majority PAC.

So the following states/SoSes have said they're not giving Pence/Kobach anything more than what's available publicly:

Connecticut (Dem SoS)
California (Dem SoS)
New York (Dem SoS)
Massachusetts (Dem SoS)
Kentucky (Dem SoS)
North Carolina (Dem Sos/mixed Election Board)
Utah (GOP SoS)
Indiana (GOP SoS)
Wisconsin (Dem SoS)
Virginia (Dem SoS)
Minnesota (Dem SoS)
Oklahoma (GOP SoS)
Tennessee (GOP SoS)
New Mexico (Dem SoS)
Vermont (Dem SoS)
Rhode Island (Dem SoS)

Did I miss any?

Zolo

So the following states/SoSes have said they're not giving Pence/Kobach anything less than what's available publicly:

Connecticut (Dem SoS)
California (Dem SoS)
New York (Dem SoS)
Massachusetts (Dem SoS)
Kentucky (Dem SoS)
Utah (GOP SoS)
Indiana (GOP SoS)
Wisconsin (Dem SoS)
Virginia (Dem SoS)
Minnesota (Dem SoS)
Oklahoma (GOP SoS)
Tennessee (GOP SoS)
New Mexico (Dem SoS)
Vermont (Dem SoS)
Rhode Island (Dem SoS)

Did I miss any?
Wow. Got GOP SoS's too.

Have you seen the current US president? That and probably many American liberals like to make assumptions.
It's just like, no one is fawning over how great Charlie Baker or Susan Collins are even though they'd be obvious improvements over Trump too, and to my knowledge they've never used racist stereotypes to justify brutal austerity (willing to be corrected).

Ogodei

Pennsylvania's executive branch is pretty thoroughly Dem captured at the moment, despite persistent problems in the State Assembly. I doubt they'll go along with it.

Here is my prediction. Trump serving out his term or being impeached doesn't really matter as either case doesn't solve the deep-seated problems America faces. The rhetoric from both sides has crossed the point of being a disagreement between neighbors to open hostility. I honestly don't think you can return as a nation from this point. Quite frankly, I think America will tear itself apart due to growing gaps in view amongst various elements of society.

That's what you think. Wait until we find out the Russia/Enquirer connection. Everything dirty in Trump's world ends up connected. I'm kidding. But not totally.

Why does her party dominate so much in Germany?

Is the actual left wing just completely disorganized?
Not an expert but if I had to guess it's that the SPD followed the collapse of the center-left that happened everywhere but The Left hasn't really surged in response. When the SPD picked their new leader they surged and looked like they might win the next election but have since collapsed.

Teggy

Edward-Isaac Dovere‏Verified account
@IsaacDovere

Nat'l Enquirer, which has touted Trump ties, says he will do mass firings & treason charges in July--bulls eyes incl Conway, McGahn, Price

Enquirer is totally legit, right?

DonShula

So the following states/SoSes have said they're not giving Pence/Kobach anything less than what's available publicly:

Connecticut (Dem SoS)
California (Dem SoS)
New York (Dem SoS)
Massachusetts (Dem SoS)
Kentucky (Dem SoS)
Utah (GOP SoS)
Indiana (GOP SoS)
Wisconsin (Dem SoS)
Virginia (Dem SoS)
Minnesota (Dem SoS)
Oklahoma (GOP SoS)
Tennessee (GOP SoS)
New Mexico (Dem SoS)
Vermont (Dem SoS)
Rhode Island (Dem SoS)

Did I miss any?

Holy shit Indiana is on that list.

I'm... proud?

Why does her party dominate so much in Germany?

Is the actual left wing just completely disorganized?

Yeah, and Trump's election kind of boosted her election prospects tbh and kind of killed AfD.

German_Opinion_Polls_2017_Election.png

Black = CDU/CSU (Merkel's party, center right)
Red = SPD (center-left)
Light Blue = AfD (far right, Trumpesque)
Green = Green
Maroon = Linke (left wing)
Yellow = FDP (center, liberal)

SPD will probably lose (though who knows since election season hasn't really begun in earnest), but will probably gain % in the Bundestag. AfD is going to get some seats, but the question is if they follow the pattern of other nationalist, right wing parties and underperform their polls. FDP also will probably (probably?) get a few seats to, so who knows what the math will actually come out to. It'll be messier than the 2013 election for sure.

Here is my prediction. Trump serving out his term or being impeached doesn't really matter as either case doesn't solve the deep-seated problems America faces. The rhetoric from both sides has crossed the point of being a disagreement between neighbors to open hostility. I honestly don't think you can return as a nation from this point. Quite frankly, I think America will tear itself apart due to growing gaps in view amongst various elements of society.

I don't know about the both sides thing. Only one side has prominent politicians describing bloody face lifts and inflicting harm on dissenters.

Ogodei

Enquirer is totally legit, right?

Tom Price losing a House seat he could've held for years to come (even if GA-6 gets bluer, a good incumbent can hold a seat that's bad for their party) for a job he lost in 6 months would be delicious.

Not an expert but if I had to guess it's that the SPD followed the collapse of the center-left that happened everywhere but The Left hasn't really surged in response. When the SPD picked their new leader they surged and looked like they might win the next election but have since collapsed.

The Left is partially descended from the SED (ruling party of East Germany) so a lot of voters just don't trust them and I believe it also causes difficulties for them in forming coalitions, at least at the federal level (they have taken part in coalitions at the state level).

For the record, the reason why Merkel did ANYTHING was that all of her potential coalition partners (SPD, FDP, Green) were going to demand a free vote on marriage equality regardless, and CDU/CSU ruled out a coalition with AfD already. So instead of making it a potential election issue, she sort of neutralized the issue while also placating the very conservative CSU by voting No.

The Left is partially descended from the SED (ruling party of East Germany) so a lot of voters just don't trust them and I believe it also causes difficulties for them in forming coalitions, at least at the federal level (they have taken part in coalitions at the state level).

Yup, but they're starting to shed a lot of their old guard and stereotypes and are more open to the fabled Red-Green-Red alliance (SPD-Greens-Linke, based on their colors). They've had some talks, but it looks like CDU/CSU is just going to win again.

Yeah, I was aware of this. I was just pointing out that there hasn't really been an insurgent left-wing response to the current establishment a la Syriza/Corbyn/Sanders etc.

Yes the extent to which a large portion of the country seems to crave fascism is disturbing and combating the conservative religion of white supremacy is very difficult, but it's bizarre to equate "aspiring fascist regime" and "standing up for democracy, justice, and the environment." Don't talk like resisting an aspiring dictator and his propaganda machine makes liberals bad people.

Yeah, I was aware of this. I was just pointing out that there hasn't really been an insurgent left-wing response to the current establishment a la Syriza/Corbyn/Sanders etc.

Eh, Germany is sort of the center of the EU. You're not going to see a lot of populist responses there (see: the decline of AfD). And Schultz is incredibly popular among the left-leaning parts of the population, hence the rise in SPD that's neutralized a left-wing populist response. Think, like, how badly the Greens did in 08 when Obama was running.

Teggy

I can only imagine NBC is not releasing the Scarborough texts because the head of the network is friends with Trump and he already ignored his request to get rid of Lawrence O'Donnell.

Yup, but they're starting to shed a lot of their old guard and stereotypes and are more open to the fabled Red-Green-Red alliance (SPD-Greens-Linke, based on their colors). They've had some talks, but it looks like CDU/CSU is just going to win again.

SIde note: I do like that a hypothetical SPD-FDP-Green alliance is known as a "traffic light coalition."

Glenn Thrush‏Verified account
@GlennThrush

Asked for the president's specific position on Medicaid cuts Sarah for second day this week says she hasn't talked to president about it.

AKA GIVE ME SOMETHING TO SIGN

kirblar

I can only imagine NBC is not releasing the Scarborough texts because the head of the network is friends with Trump and he already ignored his request to get rid of Lawrence O'Donnell.
It's more likely because they're already part of or likely going to be part of a criminal inquiry.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Unless law enforcement asked them not to release them for the case of a lawsuit.

Connecticut (Dem SoS)
California (Dem SoS)
New York (Dem SoS)
Massachusetts (Dem SoS)
Kentucky (Dem SoS)
Utah (GOP SoS)
Indiana (GOP SoS)
Wisconsin (Dem SoS)
Virginia (Dem SoS)
Minnesota (Dem SoS)
Oklahoma (GOP SoS)
Tennessee (GOP SoS)
New Mexico (Dem SoS)
Vermont (Dem SoS)
Rhode Island (Dem SoS)

Did I miss any?

didn't miss any at the time, but Ohio's on the list now