• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
That is interesting stuff. Have any relatively recent federal AGs gone back to run for state office? Is it just too much of a step backwards or are they too old by then?
There was a period where Presidents have moved away from politicians as AGs and more promoting lifetime lawyers, especially lower attorneys for the federal government, especially after LBJ. Since Reagan, Presidents have kinda gone back and forth picking one then the other except for Obama. But Holder was the fourth longest serving AG ever and longest since Homer Cummings in 1933-1939.

Ashcroft had already served two terms as Governor and a term as a Senator (before losing to a dead man) and then just became a lobbyist.

Janet Reno ran for Governor of Florida but lost in the Democratic primary so couldn't face Jeb! So she was just left with her dance parties.

Dick Thornburgh had been Governor for two terms and then after being H.W.'s AG ran for what was eventually Santorum's Senate seat but lost.

Ogodei

No Attorney General has ever reached a major party nomination, though. Cabinet people tend not to get that far in general, especially if you're only looking after the Civil War (before you had the SecState -> President chain that ran from Jefferson to Q. Adams, and also had Pinckney the diplomat as a Federalist nominee, and Buchanan who built his career as a diplomat).

Post-war, you're really only looking at Blaine (GOP nominee in 1884), Taft, Davis (Dem nominee 1924), and then all the way up to HRC to get people with lots of exec branch experience before they made it as far as nominee.

Historically, your best bets are Governor or Senator, or to be a war hero (though that hasn't carried anybody to a nomination since Ike and has a lot less cultural cache since Vietnam. Even Stormin' Norman never really tried to run). Lincoln and Garfield were the only two to even make it to presidential nominee from the House.

DDlVyZLWAAEkoS_.jpg:large

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...tween-trump-morning-joe-and-the-enquirer.html

Somebody convince me that single payer will actually work better in the US than a public option.
Universal programs are more popular and politically popular

Canada transitioned from a patchwork of private insurers to single payer and are looking pretty good

That said I'm cool with a public option as a stepping stone but the ultimate goal should be to nuke insurance companies off the face of the earth

Somebody convince me that single payer will actually work better in the US than a public option.

Isn't it kind of the same thing? Bloated insurance companies won't be able to compete with public option and will eventually turn into supplemental insurance... Which I think is the best way to handle transition...

Has he ever had to deal with a tabloid story and a Russia story, perhaps one coming later today, at the same time? I kind of wish we'd gotten the pussy tape now, not back in October.

wutwutwut

Isn't it kind of the same thing? Bloated insurance companies won't be able to compete with public option and will eventually turn into supplemental insurance... Which I think is the best way to handle transition...
Yeah, exactly. I agree that letting market forces operate is the best way to handle the transition, and if a private insurer figures out a way to save more money then more power to them.

benjipwns

Banned
No Attorney General has ever reached a major party nomination, though. Cabinet people tend not to get that far in general, especially if you're only looking after the Civil War (before you had the SecState -> President chain that ran from Jefferson to Q. Adams, and also had Pinckney the diplomat as a Federalist nominee, and Buchanan who built his career as a diplomat).

Post-war, you're really only looking at Blaine (GOP nominee in 1884), Taft, Davis (Dem nominee 1924), and then all the way up to HRC to get people with lots of exec branch experience before they made it as far as nominee.

Historically, your best bets are Governor or Senator, or to be a war hero (though that hasn't carried anybody to a nomination since Ike and has a lot less cultural cache since Vietnam. Even Stormin' Norman never really tried to run). Lincoln and Garfield were the only two to even make it to presidential nominee from the House.
Taft doesn't even really count as he was handpicked by TR. He didn't want to be President, he wanted Teddy to appoint him to the Supreme Court but no vacancy was open.

The darkly funny part then being that Taft got to appoint six justices to the Supreme Court in his single term, more than any President in their total number of terms except FDR who cheated. (And Washington obviously since he got to start the thing.)

And Kushner's name pops up again. I'm starting to wonder if he's blood related to Trump because it seems like he inherited his stupid.

Well, I mean, look what happened to his father.

We are not dealing with smart people. Every time someone here starts catastrophizing, I have to remind them: WE ARE NOT DEALING WITH SMART PEOPLE. Everyone, from the White House to this stupid voter commission, is dumb as a fucking brick and invariably fucks everything up.

wutwutwut

Kushner seems to have a slightly above average intellect, and no other skills. Impressive case of mediocre white guy failing upwards.

Now I'm going to be depressed for the rest of the day knowing that this administration is a nepotistic joke. How far we've fallen.

benjipwns

Banned
Is that blackmail? Or does blackmail have to involve money? (Suddenly I'm realizing that everything I know about blackmail comes from movies and tv.)
If the Enquirer was going to run the story because it's a trash tabloid and it runs that kind of story constantly, Joe found out about it and tried to use his in with Trump to kill it, then no.

To even get close you have to have them going to Joe and saying we've got this story, apologize or it runs. And being that they're all public figures and a publication is involved that does this on the regular to all kinds of people.

I guess I'm saying, lets no tick tock on the blackmail will save us idea, reeeeaaaalllllly reaching there.

Kushner seems to have a slightly above average intellect, and no other skills. Impressive case of mediocre white guy failing upwards.

Now I'm going to be depressed for the rest of the day knowing that this administration is a nepotistic joke. How far we've fallen.
From the Kennedy Administration?

If the Enquirer was going to run the story because it's a trash tabloid and it runs that kind of story constantly, Joe found out about it and tried to use his in with Trump to kill it, then no.

To even get close you have to have them going to Joe and saying we've got this story, apologize or it runs. And being that they're all public figures and a publication is involved that does this on the regular to all kinds of people.

I guess I'm saying, lets no tick tock on the blackmail will save us idea, reeeeaaaalllllly reaching there.

Okay, thanks. Just contemplating how insane everyone would be if Obama had tried something like this with, say, Steve Doocy, gives me heart palpitations.

Well, I mean, look what happened to his father.

We are not dealing with smart people. Every time someone here starts catastrophizing, I have to remind them: WE ARE NOT DEALING WITH SMART PEOPLE. Everyone, from the White House to this stupid voter commission, is dumb as a fucking brick and invariably fucks everything up.

Well yes, but the fact that the people who are dumb as a fucking brick are steering the boat is why we're so concerned about a catastrophe. Just today we have Trump trying to blackmail journalists, propose a trade war with the world, and repeal Obamacare without bothering to enact ANY alternative. If my dog starts driving my car, I don't think, "well, he won't get very far; dumbass has no idea how to shift." I think "Jesus fuck, he's going to kill someone." That's where I'm at with these dumb shitstains in the White House, except their stupidity could kill millions. It would be incredibly stupid of me to ignore the very real threat of catastrophe just because it's being proposed by morons; those morons have actual power, and the backing of other powerful people who are smart, but greedy and evil.

Well yes, but the fact that the people who are dumb as a fucking brick are steering the boat is why we're so concerned about a catastrophe. Just today we have Trump trying to blackmail journalists, propose a trade war with the world, and repeal Obamacare without bothering to enact ANY alternative. If my dog starts driving my car, I don't think, "well, he won't get very far; dumbass has no idea how to shift." I think "Jesus fuck, he's going to kill someone." That's where I'm at with these dumb shitstains in the White House, except their stupidity could kill millions. It would be incredibly stupid of me to ignore the very real threat of catastrophe just because it's being proposed by morons; those morons have actual power, and the backing of other powerful people who are smart, but greedy and evil.

I agree. I mean that they have no grand strategy. They're just stumbling along like Godzilla through Tokyo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom