• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think Zuckerberg will start finally policing fake news when Shitbook conservatives start using it to spread shit about him?

Facebook has supposedly already taken steps to do this:

https://m.facebook.com/notes/facebo...or-authentic-communication/10154362152760766/

D2wl8dph.jpg

There's more info in the linked paper.

DonShula

This was the one morbidly interesting thing to me about a Zuckerberg presidential run. Not that he would necessarily start policing Facebook but that Facebook itself would become inherently politicized and possibly seriously cut into its user base.

I don't see any way around that and therefore am also cautiously curious. The worst of the right would scatter elsewhere. It could lead to fragmented social media platforms based on political leanings. Taking some of the power away from FB wouldn't be a bad thing. But would Zuck take it far enough to let it happen? I seriously doubt it.

Why am I not surprised?

Trump names Marylander with little elections experience to controversial elections panel

The Trump administration has appointed a Marylander to a controversial panel probing alleged voter fraud in last year's presidential election even though the veteran state official has little-to-no experience in elections.

Deputy Secretary of State Luis E. Borunda, a former Baltimore County school board member, was named last week to Trump's Election Integrity Commission, a 15-member, bipartisan panel President Donald J. Trump created with an executive order in May after alleging millions voted illegally for his opponent.

While the commission itself has drawn derision from some Democrats as an effort to legitimize Trump's unfounded claim, Borunda's appointment prompted some head scratching in Maryland and elsewhere. Unlike in many other states, the Secretary of State's office in Maryland has no role in voter registration or the administration of elections.

Statewide oversight of elections in Maryland is handled instead by an independent board.

"If you're creating a commission to study elections, you'd want the election experts to be appointed," said Jennifer Bevan-Dangel, executive director of Common Cause Maryland. "Instead we have someone from an agency that really has almost nothing to do with our elections."

Teggy

"Distinguished" voter fraud commission? What makes it distinguished? And, yup, going with the "innocent people have nothing to hide" plan like kobach.

DonShula

"Distinguished" voter fraud commission? What makes it distinguished? And, yup, going with the "innocent people have nothing to hide" plan like kobach.

Because the vice chairman has distinguished himself by not complying with his own request. Much distinguished.

Ogodei

Yeah that's the really bad part that I can't still fully accept

It's a wake-up call for all of America and an enduring blow to American exceptionalism. We are not better, our institutions did not save us, we need to both be vigilant at the government level and we need to be more proactive in engaging the ugliness in society.

It's sobering and it's meant to be. The institution of the presidency is forever tarnished, but that'll be a good thing for the maturation of American politics which has never had to grapple with the specter of incompetent despotism like most every other country out there.

House panel votes to split Air Force, create new U.S. Space Corps

As part of its version of the 2018 Defense authorization bill, the House Armed Services Committee voted late Wednesday night to create a sixth branch of the U.S. armed forces: the U.S. Space Corps, which would absorb the Air Force’s current space missions.

You could be forgiven if you haven’t been closely following the debate about creating the nation’s first new military service since 1947. Several members of the panel said they themselves were blindsided by the proposal, and staged an unsuccessful effort to block the change until it could be studied further — or at least until the full committee had held at least one hearing on the subject.
But the measure, which would also establish a new U.S. Space Command and make the new chief of the Space Corps the eighth member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, has the support of both Rep. Mac Thornberry (R-Texas), the chairman of the full committee, and its ranking Democrat, Adam Smith (D-Wash.)
The bill would order the Defense Department to establish the new corps by January 2019. It would be a distinct military service within the Department of the Air Force, in much the same way the Marine Corps operates as a service within the Department of the Navy. The Secretary of the Air Force would oversee both the Air Force and the Space Corps, but the new chief of staff of the Space Corps would be a new four-star position, co-equal with the chief of staff of the Air Force.

I'm surprised I haven't heard more about this.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So how does that work out exactly? Space isn't supposed to be weaponized, what would they do exactly? I mean, it's inevitable that satellites will have or already have some defense mechanisms, which would lead to some sort of escalation one way or the other, but to get there you need to pretty much admit it publicly. For espionage it would make sense, but it's bound to be more than that. I don't think we're far from putting missiles in space, especially laser weapons to take down cruise missiles and such.

royalan

You guys are all excited about president Zuckerberg/Harris/Brown/etc. but remember we have a Kennedy in the house.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RepJoeKennedy/status/880934855537827840

I watch this video and I think three things, in terms of a potential presidential run:

1) Democrats need to stop with the "This country is better than this," bullshit. It sounds good but it's gutless, fundamentally false, and NOBODY buys it. The right doesn't buy it because to them a better country would feature a subjugated minority class. And the left doesn't buy it because it doesn't ring true to anybody's daily lives. Tell the woman who is working her ass off but getting paid less than the men around her that this country is better than this. Tell young black and brown kids who are surrounded by cellphone videos of people who look just like them getting shot down by police, or jailed for petty offenses, or deported while walking to school, that this country is better than this. Democrats need to start speaking the truth, and stop trying to force people to subscribe to a movie version of America that never actually existed. This country can be pretty shitty to its people. Speak the truth in that.

2) Did this guy go to the Hillary Clinton School of selling an emotional moment? Marco Rubio is more natural than this guy.

3) Does the Kennedy name mean anything in modern politics? I think the thing everyone is grappling with, that Trump pretty much laid bare, is that things that once considered core tenets within American political theater, really just don't mean shit to the vast majority of people.

So how does that work out exactly? Space isn't supposed to be weaponized, what would they do exactly? I mean, it's inevitable that satellites will have or already have some defense mechanisms, which would lead to some sort of escalation one way or the other, but to get there you need to pretty much admit it publicly. For espionage it would make sense, but it's bound to be more than that. I don't think we're far from putting missiles in space, especially laser weapons to take down cruise missiles and such.

I've provided an artist's interpretation for you.

I watch this video and I think three things, in terms of a potential presidential run:

1) Democrats need to stop with the "This country is better than this," bullshit. It sounds good but it's gutless, fundamentally false, and NOBODY buys it. The right doesn't buy it because to them a better country would feature a subjugated minority class. And the left doesn't buy it because it doesn't ring true to anybody's daily lives. Tell the woman who is working her ass off but getting paid less than the men around her that this country is better than this. Tell young black and brown kids who are surrounded by cellphone videos of people who look just like them getting shot down by police, or jailed for petty offenses, or deported while walking to school, that this country is better than this. Democrats need to start speaking the truth, and stop trying to force people to subscribe to a movie version of America that never actually existed. This country can be pretty shitty to its people. Speak the truth in that.

2) Did this guy go to the Hillary Clinton School of selling an emotional moment? Marco Rubio is more natural than this guy.

3) Does the Kennedy name mean anything in modern politics? I think the thing everyone is grappling with, that Trump pretty much laid bare, is that things that once considered core tenets within American political theater, really just don't mean shit to the vast majority of people.

The truth is meanlingess in a Trump world.

Teggy

He's got close to a 35% approval rating. Not sure where you are getting "vast majority" from.

royalan

The truth is meanlingess in a Trump world.

Luckily, the left doesn't give a fuck about Trump.

But we do have a consistent problem with rallying our own side, and the hollowness of our own rhetoric is part of it.

He's got close to a 35% approval rating. Not sure where you are getting "vast majority" from.

Come again? I was talking about political norms and how people don't seem to care about them, which is ringing true. I wasn't talking about this man's approval rating.

In other words, would the name "Kennedy" grab the attention nationally that it once did?

All but certain Kamala Harris is running in 2020
In the first six months of 2017, Harris has raised more than $600,000 for a dozen Senate colleagues -- including $365,000 from small-dollar online contributions, her aides said.
The email list Harris has used to raise the bulk of that money is 10 times the size it was at this time last year, during her Senate campaign. She's used that list to raise money for incumbents up for re-election in the 2018 cycle, including Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill, Montana Sen. Jon Tester and Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren.

Harris is also planning a travel schedule in the fall to raise money for Democratic Senate incumbents as well as the challengers for seven Republican-held House seats in California that the party is targeting.
The fundraising and travel comes after a quick star turn for the freshman senator, who just took office in January.
And as the Democratic Party searches for new leaders, the 52-year-old Harris is increasingly seen as someone who could follow the rare path trodden by Barack Obama -- who was elected to the Senate in 2004 and the presidency just four years later.
I'm so ready to vote for her. If an insurgent Sanders-type tries to snipe her from a distance, I'll be livid.

Luckily, the left doesn't give a fuck about Trump.

But we do have a consistent problem with rallying our own side, and the hollowness of our own rhetoric is part of it.

I highly doubt the Dems will solve it anytime soon. The party needs to realize that Trump is a problem but not the problem.

Teggy

Come again? I was talking about political norms and how people don't seem to care about them, which is ringing true. I wasn't talking about this man's approval rating.

In other words, would the name "Kennedy" grab the attention nationally that it once did?

What I'm saying is that the more he strays from political norms, the more people are getting fed up. There is plenty of polling that shows even republicans want him to stop tweeting. I wouldn't be surprised if throwing a Kennedy into the mix would get the attention of older people. Younger people is a little different, but putting a younger candidate out there could also help.

DonShula

All but certain Kamala Harris is running in 2020

I'm so ready to vote for her. If an insurgent Sanders-type tries to snipe her from a distance, I'll be livid.

I'll sound quite one-dimensional for saying this, but I'm on board without even knowing where she stands on most issues. A black woman will increase our turnout and I believe it could nullify those confused working class whites in the Midwest who Trump bamboozled. If they come back, great. If they don't, fuck 'em, we'll outnumber them. The people who wouldn't vote for her based on sight alone weren't going to vote Democrat under any circumstance.

kirblar

We have a lot of good 2020 options. I'm currently on Gillibrand, but that could change. (Started on Harris, some stuff about how she spoke about issues started to worry me, and Gillibrand terrifies me - in a good way - w/ her political instincts.)

With allies like these, who needs enemies.
there's a Republican primarying a congressman in Arkansas running as an "Eisenhower Republican" who wants to get UHC

if a Republican supports Medicare For All I don't see why that shouldn't warrant support unless their platform is "medicare for all, also kill all the Mexicans"

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Aren't we expecting Gabbard as the insurgent candidate? Unless Bernie really is running again in 2020. If he's not, it will be interesting to see who he endorses early in the primary season.

Are you ready for Gabbard 2020

Gabbard 2020 is something I'm rooting for actually because she's so transparently trash that as an "insurgent" she would only be popular with the fringe of the fringe. Let her run, let her get her 5% of whackos, let that be the end of it

Gabbard has less followers than Louise Mensch so maybe they both have a shot at the presidency given Mensch's popularity with dumb libs

yeah yeah she's British it was a joke people

Gabbard 2020 is something I'm rooting for actually because she's so transparently trash that as an "insurgent" she would only be popular with the fringe of the fringe. Let her run, let her get her 5% of whackos, let that be the end of it

That fringe can cause an awful lot of damage as seen in the previous election. Normally left-leaning people switching to Trump or 3rd party just to spite the establishment.

(I like Bernie).

Uh

I voted for her in Cali

But she wont win. I mean, did you ignore the last election?

Harris, and pretty much any other Democratic female Senator, is fundamentally different than Hillary. Many of the newer female Senators hasn't been attacked from the right for the past thirty-something years. And in Harris' case, she could help surge the African American vote back to 2008/2016 levels of turnout, which could help her in states like North Carolina, Georgia, and maybe even Florida.

Harris, Gillibrand, Franken, and Brown are my top picks for 2020 (president or vice president).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom