• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm not sure any single act has ever better demonstrated Trump supporters' general lack of knowledge than completely missing the point of this play and revealing they know nothing about the most famous political assassination in history.

Thaedolus

Look, any hacker worth their salt can send voltage packets through an ISP trace logger script. You can compress up to 8000 volts in a .rar and then when the modem tries to decrypt the file on the mainframe router, ZAP! Fucking fried.

Is this used in conjunction with bleach or instead of?

Pryce

Politico has a nice article about Kander's widely-recognized potential, along with the awkwardness of his currently limited upwards mobility.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/06/17/how-jason-kander-won-by-losing-215271

MY BEAUTIFUL SON.

I would imagine he's going to run for something in 2018. He won't run for the Senate in 2018 (McCaskill), and the governorship is not up again until 2020. The Senate race he lost is not up again until 2022. Tough spot.

MY BEAUTIFUL SON.

I would imagine he's going to run for something in 2018. He won't run for the Senate in 2018 (McCaskill), and the governorship is not up again until 2020. The Senate race he lost is not up again until 2022. Tough spot.

Could Missouri's 2nd House district be a potential pickup? It has the same PVI as GA-06, R+8. I think I've heard people criticize Ann Wagner before, so perhaps she might be vulnerable.

Could Missouri's 2nd House district be a potential pickup? It has the same PVI as GA-06, R+8. I think I've heard people criticize Ann Wagner before, so perhaps she might be vulnerable.
She'll probably be running against McCaskill, so Democrats might want a solid recruit for an open seat. Not sure what Kander's plan is for moving upward, but a stint in Congress might not hurt - if he can win it. Otherwise he'd be a two-time loser and that's not a terribly good look, though he could recover.

She'll probably be running against McCaskill, so Democrats might want a solid recruit for an open seat. Not sure what Kander's plan is for moving upward, but a stint in Congress might not hurt - if he can win it. Otherwise he'd be a two-time loser and that's not a terribly good look, though he could recover.

This country always forgives bland white men. He'll be fine.

No, he's from Kansas City and I don't think people would vote for a carpetbagger (source: grew up in MO-2). Wagner will be running for Senate, anyway.

Kander will run for Governor in 2020 against a (hopefully) weakened Greitens.

No, he's from Kansas City and I don't think people would vote for a carpetbagger (source: grew up in MO-2). Wagner will be running for Senate, anyway.

Kander will run for Governor in 2020 against a (hopefully) weakened Greitens.
I wouldn't mind him taking another run at Blunt in 2022, although there are several factors making the governor's run more appealing.

- Presidential year
- Greitens is likely a weaker opponent than Blunt
- If a Dem president is elected in 2020 we will be very lucky to gain anywhere in 2022 in Senate races
- Voters seem more willing to cross party lines in state elections than federal
- Executive experience tends to be a better setup for a presidential run than Senatorial

I wouldn't mind him taking another run at Blunt in 2022, although there are several factors making the governor's run more appealing.

- Presidential year
- Greitens is likely a weaker opponent than Blunt
- If a Dem president is elected in 2020 we will be very lucky to gain anywhere in 2022 in Senate races
- Voters seem more willing to cross party lines in state elections than federal
- Executive experience tends to be a better setup for a presidential run than Senatorial

Right, and it's also sooner. 6 years is a while (and if there's a Democratic president elected in 2020, no real chance of beating Blunt IMO). Governor is the only real shot for him, I think.

Greitens is under bipartisan investigation for shady dealings with donors and I don't expect that to go away anytime soon since he hasn't shown transparency at all. He is good at retail politicking, though, so I don't want to sound like he's a really weak candidate. He's good. But so is Kander.

As far as MO-2 goes, there's a couple State Senators who I think would be good. My preference is the rep for the district I grew up in - Scott Sifton. Not an especially exciting guy (at least not on Kander's level), but beat a GOP incumbent in 2012 and won reelection pretty handily in 2016. If you're looking to win in a district like MO-2, that's pretty solid political history in a state that has taken a hard right turn recently.

No idea if he wants to run, though. He ran for Missouri AG last year but dropped out because of pressure from the party to keep his Senate seat (it was seen as lost without him running), so he might prefer a statewide office in 2020 instead. Dunno. MO Democratic Party isn't exactly great right now.

Wilsongt

It's been nice ignoring politics for the last couple of days as I focus on Stormblood.

What did Trump propose about Cuba?

Bannon and Miller are some of the few there not at least knee-deep in legal shit yet so this is very good (especially for our international rep and minorities).

How reliable is Rick Wilson?

He is connected to Republican circles so I wouldn't doubt that he could have real sources in the WHite House, but he isn't a journalist and has an obvious agenda and axe to grind. He is trying to control and manipulate the narrative around Trump to hurt him.

Takuhi

Sure. Is he closer to the looney Mensch/Taylor side, or more to a Ben Wittes side of things?

Rick WIlson was, as far as I'm aware, the first person to ever mention the peepee tape, long before the Steele report went public. Sadly, he also incorrectly predicted it would come out in the final days of the election and destroy Trump.

But he seems to be worth paying attention to.

Rick WIlson was, as far as I'm aware, the first person to ever mention the peepee tape, long before the Steele report went public. Sadly, he also incorrectly predicted it would come out in the final days of the election and destroy Trump.

Really, like back in October or November? I truly don't remember that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The memo had been floating around for a while back then. Pretty much everyone knew about the tape but no one could corroborate it, which is why no one printed it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright I'm checking this out
DCjNNgdXsAIJbkO.jpg

The blurbs on the back of the cover are a little bit of a red flag. Lots of "unlike the urban elites SHE went into REAL AMERICA to listen. But I picked this up because of an article someone made a thread about here referencing her conversations with people who recognize they're being poisoned by pollution but still vehemently reject protective regulation and support market capitalism. And doesn't conclude that they're stupid or being duped. And I think that moving beyond thinking these people are stupid or being duped is one of the most important things we need to do right now

Chumley

Banned
Wilson has never been wrong about Trump stuff, the only real ding on his record was talking about the Dossier in like October because he thought it was going to be released then instead of January.

Not even comparable to Mensch in any way. If he says Bannon flipped, I believe him.

The blurbs on the back of the cover are a little bit of a red flag. Lots of "unlike the urban elites SHE went into REAL AMERICA to listen. But I picked this up because of an article someone made a thread about here referencing her conversations with people who recognize they're being poisoned by pollution but still vehemently reject protective regulation and support market capitalism. And doesn't conclude that they're stupid or being duped. And I think that moving beyond thinking these people are stupid or being duped is one of the most important things we need to do right now

But they are stupid and they have been duped. They've bought into an ideology founded on exploiting and slowly killing them.

Wilsongt

Uh....

Event planner Lynne Patton, a Trump loyalist without any housing experience, will run the office overseeing New York’s housing programs.

Trump named Patton to the position Wednesday, where she’ll oversee the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD) Region II, home to both New York and New Jersey. Vacant since January 20, the job has been in need of new shoes — but Patton may not be what many had in mind.

Up until now, Patton’s biggest claim to fame seems to be planning the wedding of Eric Trump, the president’s son. According to her LinkedIn public profile, Patton says she holds a law degree from Quinnipiac University (with an unexplained “N/A” written next to the degree), in addition to an unnamed degree from Yale University. But Quinnipiac school registrar Jim Benson told the New York Daily News that, while Patton had attended for two semesters, she never graduated. Her connection to Yale also remains unclear and unverified — HUD officials could not confirm to the publication why she had listed the Ivy League institution.

The Technomancer

But they are stupid and they have been duped. They've bought into an ideology founded on exploiting and slowly killing them.

I'm not really convinced of this. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me for forty years in every single election I'm probably not actually getting fooled, I'm getting what I expect

(This recent healthcare flare up is a very precise set of circumstances I'm not ready to extrapolate yet)

pigeon

Banned
Really, like back in October or November? I truly don't remember that.

Rick Wilson and Liz Mair worked on oppo for other GOP candidates in the primary. They both talked about "a huge story" on Trump that was getting shopped around for a really long time. Like since July. This turned out to be the Steele dossier.

I think someone who acknowledges pollution is bad for them but is still fighting against regulation of it is stupid in a sense.

Duped? That's another thing altogether. I don't think a great deal of Trump supporters were "duped," they just want to piss off liberals.

Two things come to mind when I read that passage.

The first is the effectiveness of the Southern Strategy. Appeals to racism are very powerful at getting people to oppose government action that benefits themselves. This is why trying to achieve economic justice is futile without also achieving social justice (the converse is true as well).

The second relates to the bubble that he's in and why the 50 state strategy (and more generally the idea of competing everywhere) is so important. There are large swaths of the country where we aren't even trying to get our message across. Not surprisingly, when people only hear one side's arguments, they're not very receptive to the other side. This, in turn, cuts off paths to victory for us not just for president, but also Congress, governorships, state legislatures, and all the way on down. Yes, as a matter of tactics you put extra emphasis on your top target areas, but for too long we've put too many of our eggs in too few baskets.

The Technomancer

It's not stupidity, it's a different value system from yours.

Specifically a worse one

That's normative, even if I agree. I just think it's a mistake to think people don't know what they're doing and say they're "duped". Let them own their choices.

I don't know if I'd say "let them make their own choices". I'm interested in this book because I think its important to make an accurate...assessment of opposition forces, and I wanted to find material that didn't just ascribe it to "politicians and industry manipulating the working class"

Which there's plenty of, in this book even, because it does happen! The oil industry has warped all of the discourse in Louisiana. But there are also deeply set values that prime people to accept and enter into that discourse

Yes, as a matter of tactics you put extra emphasis on your top target areas, but for too long we've put too many of our eggs in too few baskets.
How long have we been doing this? Is '96 closer to the broad strategy you think is important? Because you can't run, you know, different mutually exclusive messages across the country. You have to have a national platform and so reaching other areas means compromising on things you care about. I think a 50 state strategy is the wrong direction because you want to keep your coalition of voters as small as possible while maintaining a slim majority, so you can give as much goodies to your side as possible. We don't need to bring back dog whistles just to gain voters if we know we'll have the numbers again by taking back northern states like Pennsylvania and Michigan and maybe flipping Florida back once the retirees die off, all without having to get any southern voters at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom