• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

ok guys, CONTEST TIME

i want people to make an electoral map for Nov 6. Use 270towin to guide you (I'll save links; no changing links after October 31). Then, in the same post, I want a popular vote margin. For "in case of tie" purposes, I also want everyone to guess the time Virginia will be called for either candidate.

The winner will get a 20 dollar gift on Steam of their choice.

Submissions over on the last day of October 2012.

http://www.270towin.com/2012_election_predictions.php?mapid=VJe

O: 303
R: 235

1.8%

VA: 10:45 PM

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So far (as of last week? or early this week) democrats were vastly overperforming in terms of absentee voting compared to 2008, and most LV polls have Romney and Obama tied there. If this trend continues, we take florida in a walk.

I'm feeling pretty confident.

You underestimate old people and their desire to vote.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
So far (as of last week? or early this week) democrats were vastly overperforming in terms of absentee voting compared to 2008, and most LV polls have Romney and Obama tied there. If this trend continues, we take florida in a walk.

I'm feeling pretty confident about it.
I'm hoping that Florida trends back to tossup in the 538 forecast. With the ground game and early voting advantage, Obama may have a chance to win it. Unfortunately, with ten days to the election, I'm not prepared to assume that it's going to tighten. Out of VA, CO, and FL, Florida has remained the most intransigent, and I think Romney pulls it out narrowly. I hope I'm wrong.

Amir0x

Banned
The amount of individuals already with a map at 303 Obama, 235 Romney and a Pop Vote Margin of 0.5%-1.5% is already pretty telling

I wonder if the neoGAF aggregate will actually be the accurate result for this election.

Cloudy

Banned
I think you should make a thread for this in OT so GOPers can get in on the contest too. Would love to see some unskewed maps

codhand

I'm not. Economist is a terrible magazine. It portrays itself as the wise insider, but more often than not the articles read like a high school report, completely failing at any believable nuance and chasing down a single narrative in an attempt to sound "informed". They have good stories from time to time, but most of it is terrible, which isn't really surprising when you consider the vast amount of articles they churn out every week.

Not a defense but Economist isn't weekly. Also not sure what narrative push there is to be had for many of their stories which are often about pretty obscure global events and politics. Calling Economist "high school" seems like a stretch.

Amir0x

Banned
I think you should make a thread for this in OT so GOPers can get in on the contest too. Would love to see some unskewed maps

if I did I don't know if I'd be able to keep up with all the submissions, I don't have THAT much time for this :p

Plus I think it's kind of nice to open this primarily to PoliGAF regulars who make this place so much fun

RDreamer

The amount of individuals already with a map at 303 Obama, 235 Romney and a Pop Vote Margin of 0.5%-1.5% is already pretty telling

It seems like that's about the consensus though from what I saw it seemed a few people (me included) have Virginia going for Romney. But otherwise, same map.

Cloudy

Banned
if I did I don't know if I'd be able to keep up with all the submissions, I don't have THAT much time for this :p

Plus I think it's kind of nice to open this primarily to PoliGAF regulars who make this place so much fun

You could make the point that there is no commentary allowed in the threads (come to polligaf to chat). Just post your submission and leave. It won't be that many, trust me :p

Gingrich Defends Mourdock’s Rape Remarks: ‘Get Over It,’ Obama Is The Real Radical On Abortion

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...ard-mourdock-abortion-rape.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

“If you listen to what Mourdock actually said, he said what virtually every Catholic and every fundamentalist in the country believes, life begins at conception,” Gingrich said on ABC’s “This Week.” “Now, this seems to be fixated by the Democrats, but the radical on abortion is Obama, who as a state senator voted three times in favor of allowing doctors to kill babies in the eighth and ninth month who were born, having survived late-term abortion.”

WHAT THE FUCK?

1) So, 40+ years after all the GOP whined about Kennedy having his policies dictated by the Pope, the GOP has decided to have their policies dictated by the Pope.

2) Or religious fundamentalists. Gingrich is openly advocating for religious fundamentalist policies to be enshrined in law. Again, this is why they fear Sharia law . . . they don't want the competition.

3) LOL on that old Obama late-term abortion distortion that they pushed in 2008.

You underestimate old people and they're desire to vote.

I'm not underestimating old people at all. Did they all just stay home in 2008? seems unlikely.

The math is simple. Obama won by 240,000 votes last time- old people or no, and this year has the state adding 400,000 new voters (that do NOT show up in LV polls) that heavily favor democrats by something like a 80-90% margin, plus democratic voter participation in absentee/early voting is off the charts.

"old people" always vote. For republicans to take florida, they're going to need something that depresses democratic turnout, and I don't think they have it.

Not a defense but Economist isn't weekly. Also not sure what narrative push there is to be had for many of their stories which are often about pretty obscure global events and politics. Calling Economist "high school" seems like a stretch.

The Economist is published weekly, 51 times a year, with the Christmas double issue remaining on sale for two weeks. The issue is dated Saturday and goes on sale each Friday.

http://store.economist.com/FAQ.aspx

Farmboy

That's actually an interesting thought: aggregate the GAF-maps and see how that, as a prediction, stacks up against the pollsters, betting markets and Nate-Silver-alikes. I don't have the time to do it myself, unfortunately, but I'd love to see it done.

My map. (I actually copied the URL of someone with the same prediction, it's the ol' O332-R206 scenario).

Popular vote: O +3.5%

Virginia called: 10PM EST.

The prediction I've been making since August is actually that same map minus Florida, but I'm feeling optimistic (so much so that I almost made a O347 map). That, and the O303 scenario is too much of a red ocean at this point. ;)

Good news everyone!

Obama can withstand the storm

stormmap.jpg

RDreamer

Looking at the most credible maps for a Romney victory really shows what an uphill EV battle he has.

The uphill battle seems solely in Ohio. The credible maps posted so far mostly have him winning Ohio, and that's so hard to predict, since he's never been ahead there at all.

pigeon

Banned
That's actually an interesting thought: aggregate the GAF-maps and see how that, as a prediction, stacks up against the pollsters, betting markets and Nate-Silver-alikes. I don't have the time to do it myself, unfortunately, but I'd love to see it done.

I actually already started doing this.

Diablos

Lol @ Biden in PA = Panic

PA shares a border with Ohio and there's overlap with Ohio voters there.
Umm... Scranton isn't anywhere near the Ohio border dude. It's in eastern PA, below NY (Lackawanna County). I think people forget about how big PA is.

oxnWU.png

My county (Allegheny, where Pittsburgh is) has some "overlap" with OH voters since it's pretty close to the border. Also isolated in a sea of red counties.

Also, just reminding everyone, if Sandy were to land near NJ/Eastern PA it would hit all those blue counties you see in the lower right. Those counties deliver for Dems every time.

Trurl

Banned
With predictions of how Sandy will affect the election, does anyone else feel like Romney has Olaf's CO power from Advance Wars?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Umm... Scranton isn't anywhere near the Ohio border dude. It's in eastern PA, below NY (Lackawanna County). I think people forget about how big PA is.

oxnWU.png

My county (Allegheny, where Pittsburgh is) has some "overlap" with OH voters since it's pretty close to the border. Also isolated in a sea of red counties.

Also, just reminding everyone, if Sandy were to land near NJ/Eastern PA it would hit all those blue counties you see in the lower right. Those counties deliver for Dems every time.

Have you seen the storm map? It's going to hit the entirety of PA. All of it.

gcubed

oxnWU.png

or you didnt read it. It said he was a Scranton native, not that he was going there.

And we are reminding you to stay in your bubble in the north and let the big boys on the southeast side of the state deal with a storm that will be gone a week before election day

pigeon

Banned
Your prediction is even more pessimistic than Phoenix'. Think about that.

Technically it's not, since the numbers Cheebo gave don't actually match his map, which is identical to Phoenix. Cheebo? You're screwing up the data mining. What states do you think Romney will win?

ivysaur12

Banned
Right now, Nate has a 73.5% chance of Obama winning Ohio, 59.8% of winning Virginia, and 57.7% chance of winning Colorado.

Not bad odds.

To spice things up:

Win:

McCaskil (MO)
Warren (MA)
Murphy (CT)
Nelson (FL)
Brown (OH)
Tester (MT)
Kaine (VA)
Baldwin (WI)
Berkley (NV)

Lose:

Donnelly (IN)
Kerry (NE)
Carmona (AZ)
Heitkamp (ND)

Democrats: 54 (+1)
Republicans: 46 (-1)

I think Heitkamp could go either way, honestly. But she hasn't been polled that much and the state fundamentals have worked against her. Same with Berkely, but I think it will work in the opposite with the state fundamentals and GOTV operation working in her favor. Strange that Indiana isn't being polled more after the rape comment.

markatisu

oxnWU.png

You don't even realize how elections work, neighboring states benefit from visits and advertising. Its why you advertise in MN to reach WI, for example.

You think PA is huge, when you the Midwest were 3-4hrs distance is normal its a different way of thinking. If it were really in trouble Obama himself not Biden would be there.

So the only two maps posted with Romney winning are predicated completely on him flipping a state he is behind around 3 points in and has never lead in the aggregate for even a single day at the last second?

Right now, Nate has a 73.5% chance of Obama winning Ohio, 59.8% of winning Virginia, and 57.7% chance of winning Colorado.

Not bad odds.

To spice things up:

Win:

McCaskil (MO)
Warren (MA)
Murphy (CT)
Nelson (FL)
Brown (OH)
Tester (MT)
Kaine (VA)
Baldwin (WI)
Berkley (NV)

Lose:

Donnelly (IN)
Kerry (NE)
Carmona (AZ)
Heitkamp (ND)

Democrats: 54 (+1)
Republicans: 46 (-1)

I think Heitkamp could go either way, honestly. But she hasn't been polled that much and the state fundamentals have worked against her. Same with Berkely. Strange that Indiana isn't being polled more after the rape comment.

you forgot King in ME. technically an independent, but expected to caucus with dems

ivysaur12

Banned
you forgot King in ME. technically an independent, but expected to caucus with dems

It's a landslide victory, I didn't bother to include it.

But then, yes:

Manchin (WV)
Gillibrand (NY)
Whitehouse (RI)
Klobuchar (WI)
Mendez (NJ)
Cantwell (WA)
Fienstein (CA)
Stabenow (MI)
Carden (MD)
Carper (DE)
King (ME) - I
Sanders (VT) - I
Heinrich (NM)
Hinoro (HI)

While:

Corker (TN)
Cruz (TX)
Wicker (MS)
Barrasso (WY)
Hatch (UT)

Gay marriage wins in:

Maine
Washington

Loses in:
Maryland
Minnesota (Amendment passes)

Good guys get 2 wins for the first time. GAF posters blame blacks, bans happen.

RDreamer

So the only two maps posted with Romney winning are predicated completely on him flipping a state he is behind around 3 points in and has never lead in the aggregate for even a single day at the last second?

And it's a state which Obama has an insane ground game, and the ground game is still great from the defeat of the anti-union law.

Diablos

And we are reminding you to stay in your bubble in the north and let the big boys on the southeast side of the state deal with a storm that will be gone a week before election day
My "bubble"? Central PA is a bubble. Pittsburgh and a lot of the surrounding suburbs are actually nice. Allegheny County is a good place to live. Cost of living is great but you aren't out in the sticks (unless you want to be).

Diablos

You don't even realize how elections work, neighboring states benefit from visits and advertising. Its why you advertise in MN to reach WI, for example.

You think PA is huge, when you the Midwest were 3-4hrs distance is normal its a different way of thinking. If it were really in trouble Obama himself not Biden would be there.
A Pittsburgh visit would make more sense than Scranton for the purposes of getting the attention of Ohio voters.

I didn't say Biden was there because of campaign woes. I was simply pointing out that Scranton is far away from Ohio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom