• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

So John Husted is a piece of shit.

And RE: Florida:
@speechboy71
People should really stop using the word incompetence to describe voting situation in Florida. It's purposeful disenfranchisement

Was that this guy?

images

AC/DC to Zeppelin.

Registered City Area: COLUMBUS

xxxxxxxx D. xxxxxxx
xxxx xxxxxxxxx PL APT x
COLUMBUS OH 43202

[...]

Absentee Ballot Status: We have received your returned Absentee Ballot on Nov 03, 2012.

JON HUSTED TRYNNA SUPPRESS MY VOTE

From HuffPo

Early Voting Lines In Cleveland Run For Blocks In The Cold
CLEVELAND -- Early voters here are waiting in line for more than two hours in the cold to beat the rush on Election Day.

Surprisingly, the scene feels more like a party than an agonizing wait. The Jackson Five is blasting from speakers set up on a street corner. Volunteers with various groups are handing out food and warm drinks -- Obama campaign volunteers showed up with 50 pizzas while HuffPost was here -- to try to keep people content as they stand in the 41-degree weather. A rap group is also walking up and down the line, rapping, "no more drama, vote for Obama."

Still, this is about getting your votes in, and some people have other places to be. Teresa, an older black woman at the front of the line, said she'd been waiting for more than two hours to cast her vote.

"I'm not amused," she said.

Still, Teresa said she appreciated that volunteers were handing out food. "Coffee, pizza, chips and all that stuff," she said.

A little further back, Julia Chen, in her early 40s, said she wasn't surprised by the long wait.

"Everybody's lives are different than they were before. Everybody's schedules are different ... I have to work until 6 on Tuesday," Chen said. "I don't want to rush."

Chen, who lives in the suburbs, said she also didn't mind the wait. For one thing, she said, she got to know the people next to her in line.

"When you first show up, you're like, 'holy shit,'" she said, but when you get up front, "You're like 'yay!'"

Indeed, the line can be breathtaking at first sight. Starting from the tail end, it runs for about a block, then around the corner for another two blocks, and then around the corner for about half a block.

"Jesus," one woman said as she walked up with a little girl.

"Tell me again why we're here?" another woman said to her friend.

Greg, a retiree who was leaving the scene as HuffPost arrived, said it was absolutely worth his two-plus hour wait to vote. He was smoking a cigarette to celebrate.

"If I die tomorrow, at least my vote counts today," he said.

None of the people HuffPost talked to said they saw anybody leave in frustration. A volunteer said he saw some leave earlier in the day, however

r-CLEVELAND-EARLY-VOTING-large570.jpg

How long before drudge calls the rap group voter intimidation?

IrishNinja

wait, which rap group is it?

Yes, he should be down there every single day or at least flying in the disaster zone every day.

The Feds had 5 days or so to get ready for Hurricane Sandy and FEMA has utterly failed up to this point.

Sorry but with a disaster like this you should not be campaigning. Not a good look no matter how you look at it. The lefts hypocrisy on this forum and elsewhere is just astounding.

President's Clinton and Bush and everyone else handled pre-9/11 intelligence horribly. Everyone was at fault there.

Someone, somewhere in the Obama administration denied, or failed to give backup to a U.S. ambassador and citizens under attack. And so far its looking like it was someone high up in the chain of command.

At best Iran-Contra 2.0, at worst Watergate 2.0.

independent voter here, people

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
ahahaha it never fails
"should we, you know, maybe back off some of this archaic socially conservative shit, maybe consider walking back our immigration stance before more states flip blue? we could actually get serious about being fiscally conservative, maybe talk about corporate subsidies and a bloated military and
NOPE let's go further down the rabbit hole, there's gotta be a ton of voters we just missed somehow and you know those #'s will only extrapolate as these baby boomers die off"

Given how many conservatives (and liberals) won't be voting at all in this election, I can ALMOST understand their view that a more conservative candidate may have brought out more conservatives to vote.

What they fail to factor in is that fielding an even more conservative candidate will rally as many liberals as it does conservatives. Not to mention a more conservative candidate would shift some people in the middle to the other side of the fence.

I think the GOP is doomed for 2016 either way here. Assuming a half decent Democratic candidate, the Tea Party splitting off and forming a third party is likely to pull in too many conservatives for a Republican to be competitive, even if they shift to a more moderate platform. And if the Tea Party remains embedded and pushes for a more conservative candidate then the result will likely be worse than the loss we are likely now to see in this next week.

andthebeatgoeson

Clinton is one of those rare guys to whom the statement "If you have to explain, you're losing" doesn't apply. He can win by explaining all day.

Somehow, Clinton propositioning me to suck his dick wouldn't be an absolute turnoff. A major one but not an absolute one. Does that make me 47% gay or something? Well, not my problem to worry about that.

gcubed

as this thread moved fast, 2 things.

1) to a previous poster last page, not every state has early voting. Also, early voting locations are a fraction of general election locations.

2) Party people handing out sample ballots with their side highlighted or filled in... this is controversy? Is this some peoples first time voting? I have gotten them every single time I have ever voted.

Godslay

Banned
Given how many conservatives (and liberals) won't be voting at all in this election, I can ALMOST understand their view that a more conservative candidate may have brought out more conservatives to vote.

What they fail to factor in is that fielding an even more conservative candidate will rally as many liberals as it does conservatives. Not to mention a more conservative candidate would shift some people in the middle to the other side of the fence.

I think the GOP is doomed for 2016 either way here. Assuming a half decent Democratic candidate, the Tea Party splitting off and forming a third party is likely to pull in too many conservatives for a Republican to be competitive, even if they shift to a more moderate platform. And if the Tea Party remains embedded and pushes for a more conservative candidate then the result will likely be worse than the loss we are likely now to see in this next week.

There more conservative you go the smaller your base gets. Same for liberals. Seems like you have to hang roughly around the center/center right to win.

HylianTom

Banned

Meanwhile, the timer on the demographic time bomb continues to tick downward.

Each four-year cycle sees the percentage of white voters as a portion of the electorate decline by more than 3%. Imagine how very bad it will be for the GOP in a decade.

I hear a lot of "the electorate in 2012 won't look like the electorate in 2008. And the Democrats aren't as enthused as the Republicans!" Even if that were true in the swing states - and I heavily doubt it - it would be sharply counter-acted by the demographic time bomb that's been ticking in the background.

===

And on the topic of Clinton: my #1 reason for wanting Hillary in 2016 is that we get Bill - all the time. We all know it - he lives for this kind of stuff. The idea of getting another 8 years with Bill just makes my eyes sparkle like some sort of anime character. My leg tingles.

The man is great at convincing. He could convince me, and my partner would likely have not a damn problem with it.

But considering the high blood pressure/cholesterol problems in the black community, isn't the OFA committing pre-emptive voter fraud by giving them pizza?

IrishNinja

to the former: sure, every party looks to its base, rather than those it couldnt bring to the polls (again most studies ive read show nearly half of all americans), but i tend to agree with clinton on the dems falling in love, reps fall in line thing: mccain (and romney) show me they'll hold their nose and vote someone nearly antithetical to their varying views. perhaps youre right though, i guess we'll learn more from post-game exit polls.

to the latter: do you really see that happening? when the tea party started, i had libertarian friends excited about ron paul getting people to talk about smaller gov't/etc more than social views. i think it's fairly obvious that movement was hijacked early on, and by the time FOX and palin & co had a part in it, it struck me as a GOP extension - it also worked for some conservatives i know who fancied the chance to protest something.
what you're painting is more akin to what Perot did years back, and i just cant see that here. again we're just grabbing at figures, but how much of the current TP do you see not showing up to vote romney? they're going to be bitter after the loss, sure, and use it as a chance to call back to their values etc but i just cant see it splintering enough to spoil an election, they already hate gary johnson & them for doing just that, i'd imagine. i could be wrong here.

pigeon

Banned
Meanwhile, the timer on the demographic time bomb continues to tick downward.

Each four-year cycle sees the percentage of white voters as a portion of the electorate decline by more than 3%. Imagine how very bad it will be for the GOP in a decade.

I hear a lot of "the electorate in 2012 won't look like the electorate in 2008. And the Democrats aren't as enthused as the Republicans!" Even if that were true in the swing states - and I heavily doubt it - it would be sharply counter-acted by the demographic time bomb that's been ticking in the background.

As if to prove this point, the Pew electorate model shows the youth vote declining and the Hispanic vote holding steady -- and the white vote still drops a point. Every day a little browner, no matter what you do.

AniHawk

And on the topic of Clinton: my #1 reason for wanting Hillary in 2016 is that we get Bill - all the time. We all know it - he lives for this kind of stuff. The idea of getting another 8 years with Bill just makes my eyes sparkle like some sort of anime character. My leg tingles.

The man is great at convincing. He could convince me, and my partner would likely have not a damn problem with it.

i just want her/them to care. in 2007 and 2008 it just seemed like they were sleepily going through the motions, until march when it was too late to turn it on.

i just want her/them to care. in 2007 and 2008 it just seemed like they were sleepily going through the motions, until march when it was too late to turn it on.

Huh? Hillary certainly did care in 2007/2008, she was unfortunately on the wrong side of a wave election. She didn't run a perfect campaign but her energy levels were high, she made the best arguments during the campaign, had the best ideas, etc. It's not her fault she ran against a blank slate who projected everyone's hopes and dreams onto himself.

Did you see her right before the NH primary? I've never seen a politician care that much

HylianTom

Banned

I can't disagree with that too much. But look out for PD.

edit: lol

I cannot help but think that Bill's going all-out like this in preparation for 2016. A lot of folks aside from Obama are going to owe the Clintons favors after this election cycle is done. My theory is that he knows that the Democrat is going to be favored heavily in 2016, assuming even just a mild recovery and continuing demographic change. The Clintons' place in White House history - 16 years, an amazing economic record, the first female president, etc etc - would be remarkable.

If she's having her hesitations, I hope he gets to work on Wednesday in an effort to convince her.

As if to prove this point, the Pew electorate model shows the youth vote declining and the Hispanic vote holding steady -- and the white vote still drops a point. Every day a little browner, no matter what you do.

Exactly. And the Republicans damn well know it, which is why the reactions we'll get from them after this election are going to be downright apoplectic. Ugly. Despair. In another four years, after an economic recovery, they're boned a little bit deeper.

Huh? Hillary certainly did care in 2007/2008, she was unfortunately on the wrong side of a wave election. She didn't run a perfect campaign but her energy levels were high, she made the best arguments during the campaign, had the best ideas, etc. It's not her fault she ran against a blank slate who projected everyone's hopes and dreams onto himself.

Did you see her right before the NH primary? I've never seen a politician care that much

Hillary ran a terrible campaign, using racial rhetoric to try and further her cause. It's shameful that you support her. She shouldn't even be allowed to run in 2016, though you will support her regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom