• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

Meat Loaf backs Romney, citing the candidate’s ‘backbone’
The surprise visitor: the rock star turned occasional actor Meat Loaf.
Dressed in a baggy black suit accented with multicolor sequins, the singer, who rose to fame from his star turn in "The Rocky Horror Picture Show," dramatically stormed the stage to the shock of many of those in the audience, who turned to each other with questioning faces.

The aging rocker, perhaps best known for his 1994 hit "I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)," performed a series of power ballads familiar only to the most devoted Meat Loaf fans. In between, he offered a meandering and sometimes slurred endorsement of the GOP nominee, explaining that he'd never before publicly backed a political candidate.

'This is the most important election in the history of the United States," Meat Loaf explained. "Because there has storm clouds come over the United States. There is thunderstorms over Europe. There are hail storms--and I mean major hail storms--in the Middle East. There are storms brewing through China, through Asia, through everywhere… I want you to know there is one man who will stand tall in this country and fight the storm and bring the United States back to what it should be. Gov. Mitt Romney!"

Romney, the singer continued after another song, has "backbone." He urged the audience to contact Democrats and ask them to back Romney's bid for the presidency--adding that he'd been doing the same "for a year."
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...g-candidate-backbone-024350047--election.html

pigeon

Banned
If Romney could win Wis. It would probably lead to NH being the state to decide the election

I feel like people wish the Electoral College were much more exciting than it was. New Hampshire is the deciding state only when Romney wins every swing state except for Ohio, Nevada and Wisconsin. That's a lot of very different states he needs to overperform in.

Well in general it is not likely that someone wins the Presidency without winning Ohio, all I am saying is he does have a path.

Why bother to wish for Wisconsin? California would be better -- he'd win decisively in a heartbreaker hours after everybody else thought the election was over! Romney's never come close to a lead in Wisconsin.*

* Except once, right after selecting Paul Ryan. And I mean once, not "at one period" but "in one poll."

SmokeMaxX

If Obama takes Florida (and VA for that matter), the news media STILL has to wait until California is called to declare Obama the next President right? Or can they say "well these states are solid blue so we can project..."

WatTsu

If Obama takes Florida (and VA for that matter), the news media STILL has to wait until California is called to declare Obama the next President right? Or can they say "well these states are solid blue so we can project..."

They may not have to, but they probably should.

ivysaur12

Banned

They have to wait. They can't call the election until the polls close on enough states to give him 270.

The media won't officially project any state until it closes (without screwing up like in 2000).

But they will say stuff like "Obama winning Florida, Ohio, and Virginia pretty much means he won the election. No one expects California or Oregon to go red which is what would have to happen."

Cloudy

Banned

They always wait till the polls close in the West to call CA, OR etc.

pigeon

Banned
They have to wait. They can't call the election until the polls close on enough states to give him 270.

It's probably a good thing. CNN had an article about how Hawaii has the lowest voter turnout rate in the country and how we should all work hard to convince them to vote more. One of the example nonvoters was somebody driving to the polls when they called the race for W. So no big surprise that they didn't bother! Calling the election early breeds complacency in the voting population.

Yeah, they won't call it. Which is what will make it so delicious for those fans of schadenfreude. If Obama wins VA, OH, or FL, then it is pretty much over and you can run around and watch people meltdown as they slowly realize it is slipping away.

Yeah, they won't call it. Which is what will make it so delicious for those fans of schadenfreude. If Obama wins VA, OH, or FL, then it is pretty much over and you can run around and watch people meltdown as they slowly realize it is slipping away.

What kinda spin do you think would spawn out of a scenario like that?

The whispering from 2008 when OH was called for Obama on Fox was...wow.

apana

I feel like people wish the Electoral College were much more exciting than it was. New Hampshire is the deciding state only when Romney wins every swing state except for Ohio, Nevada and Wisconsin. That's a lot of very different states he needs to overperform in.

Why bother to wish for Wisconsin? California would be better -- he'd win decisively in a heartbreaker hours after everybody else thought the election was over! Romney's never come close to a lead in Wisconsin.

Romney is putting money into Wisconsin. Lets say he does loes Ohio narrowly but is leading the popular vote. The real clear average has the race at about 2-3 points in Wisconsin. Assuming Nevada stays with Obama, Wisconsin is what Romney needs to get to 270. Not likely but he at least has somewhat of a shot at it if he is winning the popular vote.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Despite the good polls, I'm still nervous. Who knows what kind of shady things could be done to seal the election for Romney. I can't wait until this is over.

I don't want Romney getting credit for the recovery.
I don't want Romney to select 2 Supreme Court justices.

Fuck.

Romney is putting money into Wisconsin. Lets say he does loes Ohio narrowly but is leading the popular vote. The real clear average has the race at about 2-3 points in Wisconsin. Assuming Nevada stays with Obama, Wisconsin is what Romney needs to get to 270. Not realistic but he at least has somewhat of a shot at it if he is winning the popular vote.

Tell me which states he flips to get to 270.

One should be cautiously optimistic or somewhat nervous until the aggregate national polling is leaning 2+ Obama. Without it, there's justified worry.

pigeon

Banned
Romney is putting money into Wisconsin.

He's making trips to Nevada, too.

Lets say he does loes Ohio narrowly but is leading the popular vote. The real clear average has the race at about 2-3 points in Wisconsin. Assuming Nevada stays with Obama, Wisconsin is what Romney needs to get to 270. Not likely but he at least has somewhat of a shot at it if he is winning the popular vote.

I'm just saying that there are a lot of swing states you can make a way better case for Romney winning than Wisconsin. Both the fundamentals and the polls are unequivocably against him, so you're basically just saying "But I want him to!"

And what is it right now?

It's about tied. Some favor Obama, others favor Romney.

Why should we care about national polling?

Because it matters. Ohio tends to go with the country so if Romney is up 1, Ohio can move that way. It generally won't be far from the national numbers in the end.

Nate Silver points out you can rework the national numbers by using state numbers but also visa-versa.

I agree state numbers are more important, but so long as the state numbers aren't +5 or higher and the national numbers stay close to Romney or in favor of him, it's not something to be sure of.

A 75% chance of winning Ohio still means 1 in 4 times it is lost. I want those numbers over 90%. And that will only happen with a movement nationally

edit: I shouldn't say movement as I don't mean people changing votes but rather the polls themselves moving whether it's because of people movement or simply more accuracy.

pigeon

Banned
Why should we care about national polling?

The main reason is that this is one of the first times national and swing state polling has diverged so dramatically. Usually swing state polls match national polls because the whole reason they're swing states is that they're microcosms of the electorate.

Nate Silver hasn't quite said this, but you can piece together that Mamba is just saying what 538's saying -- if the national polls were matching the swing state polls (which would be +2 Obama), Obama would still be a 95-99% chance to win. The divergence causes the popular vote to get weighted up and the swing state votes to get weighted down.

edit: To put that slightly differently, it's not that national polling matters so much as that it suggests the system is more complicated than it appears.

Obama needs to make up a shit ton of ground in less than 2 weeks in order to be 2 points ahead, nationally.

Gallup, for example, still has him at a major deficit.

RDreamer

I don't think you can compare a special election to a presidential one. IA is probably tighter than WI just because of the demographics

They were talking specifically in that conversation though about building a ground game. Hayes and Maddow were asserting that you gather names and people that will come out and help you with these things. They're the sorts that will be out there early in the morning for nothing, and will get other people to do the same. Once you have that sort of infrastructure and list of names of people built up it's easier to fire the whole thing up again and build on top of it. With Wisconsin the Republicans have built a bit of a ground game during the special election, whereas the Dems kind of failed. They're not asserting that Wisconsin could go or anything like that. They're just saying that's part of the reason it's closer this year than it probably should be. And they're asserting the opposite in the case of Ohio. The unions mobilized and really put together that democratic infrastructure down there.

apana

He's making trips to Nevada, too.

I'm just saying that there are a lot of swing states you can make a way better case for Romney winning than Wisconsin. Both the fundamentals and the polls are unequivocably against him, so you're basically just saying "But I want him to!"

Well I am working under the assumption that Nevada seems to be almost a lock for him considering the current state of the race so if Obama wins Ohio, Romney pretty much has to go through Wisconsin.

The main reason is that this is one of the first times national and swing state polling has diverged so dramatically. Usually swing state polls match national polls because the whole reason they're swing states is that they're microcosms of the electorate.

Nate Silver hasn't quite said this, but you can piece together that Mamba is just saying what 538's saying -- if the national polls were matching the swing state polls (which would be +2 Obama), Obama would still be a 95-99% chance to win. The divergence causes the popular vote to get weighted up and the swing state votes to get weighted down.

edit: To put that slightly differently, it's not that national polling matters so much as that it suggests the system is more complicated than it appears.

Well, I don't really know why the pop vote is factored in to begin with considering that it means nothing (even if it usually is signficant for how swing states will go). If the non swing states swung even harder red or blue than normal it makes complete sense why there is a bigger than normal divergence.

It is interesting to watch all this though because everyone (in the media) seems so sure this election is a toss up at this point when it's really not.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/joe...-son-always-have-balls-the-size-of-cue-balls/

I'm not going to criticize a grieving father, although it's clear he wasn't an Obama fan before or after this; his comments on how he felt Obama and Clinton's interactions weren't genuine strikes me as a matter of internal bias. But the Biden comment, if true...jesus christ

What's worse is that people like him are being exploited to turn this story into something it's not. It's disgusting.
Sounds like a load of shit. More specifically it sounds exactly like every other typical conservative caricature of Obama and Biden. Cartoonishly so.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/joe...-son-always-have-balls-the-size-of-cue-balls/

I'm not going to criticize a grieving father, although it's clear he wasn't an Obama fan before or after this; his comments on how he felt Obama and Clinton's interactions weren't genuine strikes me as a matter of internal bias. But the Biden comment, if true...jesus christ

What's worse is that people like him are being exploited to turn this story into something it's not. It's disgusting.

Sounds like something...entirely cooked up by right wing idiots who think Biden is a moron and Obama is uppity.
Sounds like a load of shit. More specifically it sounds exactly like every other typical conservative caricature of Obama and Biden. Cartoonishly so.

beaten^

Obama needs to make up a shit ton of ground in less than 2 weeks in order to be 2 points ahead, nationally.

Gallup, for example, still has him at a major deficit.

Not necessarily. It depends on the likely voter models. Gallup, for instance, has major swings the final 2 weeks the last few cycles. Gore was up like 13 with 2 weeks to go in 2000.

For all we know the race may be Obama +2 right now but a couple pollsters are fucking up their LV model which becomes rectified as a lot of RV switch to LV as election night nears.

Take that ABC poll putting Romney up 3. They only count "certain to vote" as likely voters and ignore "probably will vote" as well as "50/50." Those probably to vote will tend to become certain to votes in 8 days or so, I'd wager. And some of those 50/50 (or half) will vote.

Once turnout becomes more obvious in a week we'll have a better understanding. If the state polling is accurate right now, I'd expect it to shift to Obama +2 or so. Unless we're going to get unprecedented worthless voting in the South, I think it has to shift that way.

HylianTom

Banned
If we go into next week with some or most of the swing states showing narrow-but-definite Obama advantages while the national numbers retain their slight Romney tilt.. oh man..

I wonder if Obama's team is preparing their talking points for such a situation.

apana

It is very likely that the national polls swing in Obama's favor in the next few days or that the state polls swing in Romney's favor. What we have right now is the least likely scenario. Romney by the aggregate of polls is roughly a point ahead nationally but still losing the electoral college.

If we go into next week with some or most of the swing states showing narrow-but-definite Obama advantages while the national numbers retain their slight Romney tilt.. oh man..

I wonder if Obama's team is preparing their talking points for such a situation.

An acceptance speech where the national vote doesn't go their way would be pretty interesting. The bad thing is it would give the republican house another talking point to block everything the next 2 years and the american people would probably agree with them unfortunately.

Yeah a popular vote - electoral vote split is not fun. It's good for the media and Wolf Blitzer (tie again), but you will be guaranteed another republican sweep in 2014 if Romney wins popular vote but loses electoral college.

BSsBrolly

Banned
It is very likely that the national polls swing in Obama's favor in the next few days or that the state polls swing in Romney's favor. What we have right now is the least likely scenario. Romney by the aggregate of polls is roughly a point ahead nationally but still losing the electoral college.

More than likely the national polls will swing in Obama's favor. He's ahead in the state polls and most show him tied nationally.

A really interesting scenario would be one where Obama wins Florida, Virginia, NH, Wisconsin, Ohio, Colorado, Iowa, Nevada, Penn, Michagan.

But Romney takes North Carolina and the popular vote due in large part to insane turnout from the South and smaller turnout in the NE and West in places like Cali and NY.

More than likely the national polls will swing in Obama's favor. He's ahead in the state polls and most show him tied nationally.

I honestly believe the LV models are missing a lot of Dem turnout. As well as hispanic issues with polling and lack of cell phones among some. I believe we'll see Obama up 2 a few days before the election in aggregate.

But if not, I'm going to be a bit worried.

Not necessarily. It depends on the likely voter models. Gallup, for instance, has major swings the final 2 weeks the last few cycles. Gore was up like 13 with 2 weeks to go in 2000.

For all we know the race may be Obama +2 right now but a couple pollsters are fucking up their LV model which becomes rectified as a lot of RV switch to LV as election night nears.

Take that ABC poll putting Romney up 3. They only count "certain to vote" as likely voters and ignore "probably will vote" as well as "50/50." Those probably to vote will tend to become certain to votes in 8 days or so, I'd wager. And some of those 50/50 (or half) will vote.

Once turnout becomes more obvious in a week we'll have a better understanding. If the state polling is accurate right now, I'd expect it to shift to Obama +2 or so. Unless we're going to get unprecedented worthless voting in the South, I think it has to shift that way.

Still, Obama being well below 50% in most tracking polls is a problem, especially this close to election day. Plus that ABC poll shows a huge Romney lead among independents

Ecotic

I think the national poll aggregate is off, Obama is ahead by about 1-2 points like 538's forecast says. Polling aggregates right now are dragged into Romney's favor by inaccurate Gallup and Rasmussen with its house effect.

apana

An acceptance speech where the national vote doesn't go their way would be pretty interesting. The bad thing is it would give the republican house another talking point to block everything the next 2 years and the american people would probably agree with them unfortunately.

They aren't going to listen to him anyways. Regardless of what happens he will have to work on things that Republicans and Democrats can agree on. Probably some kind of large bill involving cuts but also increases in infrastructure projects and closing of some tax loopholes.

I honestly believe the LV models are missing a lot of Dem turnout. As well as hispanic issues with polling and lack of cell phones among some. I believe we'll see Obama up 2 a few days before the election in aggregate.

But if not, I'm going to be a bit worried.

The two bolded don't make sense.

You think the LV models are flawed but yet you would be worried if the polls don't reflect that.

I don't get it.

Still, Obama being well below 50% in most tracking polls is a problem, especially this close to election day. Plus that ABC poll shows a huge Romney lead among independents

That 50% number is irrelevant. Too much is made out of it. Yes, being above 50% is huge.

But here's an example. Obama leading 49-47 in a poll. That leaves 4% undecided. What happens if only 50% of the undecided show up and go 60-40 for Romney?

Then Obama is at 51%. Not all the undecideds will show up and thus the real number is above 50% anyway.

That said, the models are underscoring turnout in many cases, IMO. And I believe that hurts Dems. And it's not necessarily the model's fault. I just think when we get close to election day that a lot of people not certain to vote will vote and this will be good for Dems.

The "independent" number doesn't bother me as much because a lot of Republicans became indies the last 4 years.

pigeon

Banned
Well, I don't really know why the pop vote is factored in to begin with considering that it means nothing (even if it usually is signficant for how swing states will go). If the non swing states swung even harder red or blue than normal it makes complete sense why there is a bigger than normal divergence.

It is interesting to watch all this though because everyone (in the media) seems so sure this election is a toss up at this point when it's really not.

Jon Chait was engaged in a hilarious series of conversations with NYT reporters on Twitter today in which they defended their framing of the race as not a huge Obama landslide.

I dunno. All Silver ever says about the factors he works in is "historically they correlate well." So sure, it could turn out to be meaningless and we should assume Obama is guaranteed to win. But it's an unwelcome confounding factor, and if something DOES go wrong and Obama loses, it's very likely whatever truth we were missing was hidden in those wacky national tracking polls the whole time. So it'd be nice and relaxing if they got into correlation with the other polls already.

I'm wondering whether LV models are just not dealing well with early voters. I think there's a real possibility that it will turn out national tracking polls are just kind of outdated, also.

The two bolded don't make sense.

You think the LV models are flawed but yet you would be worried if the polls don't reflect that.

I don't get it.

I should have clarified this better.

I think this far out from the election the LV models underscore Democrat turnout (this cycle). But I think a lot of people who are "probably" and "maybe" going to vote become likely voters the last 5 days of the campaign. The model doesn't change but the respondents change their likelihood of voting and the models represent this.

Which is why we see big swings.

But if this doesn't happen in 8-10 days from now, I'm going to be worried a bit because it means I could be wrong about my assumption and too many normally Dem supporters are staying home.

I'm wondering whether LV models are just not dealing well with early voters. I think there's a real possibility that it will turn out national tracking polls are just kind of outdated, also.

That's also a possibility. But I still think it's more due to some LV models being too strict this early ala the ABC one. If I made a LV model I'd include not just "certain" voters but also "probably" voters. Then add in the 50/50 voters splitting it exactly in half.

This is why I like RAND. It weights your likelihood to vote and even if it's low it's put into the system weighted down.

I should have clarified this better.

I think this far out from the election the LV models underscore Democrat turnout (this cycle). But I think a lot of people who are "probably" and "maybe" going to vote become likely voters the last 5 days of the campaign. The model doesn't change but the respondents change their likelihood of voting and the models represent this.

Which is why we see big swings.

But if this doesn't happen in 8-10 days from now, I'm going to be worried a bit because it means I could be wrong about my assumption and too many normally Dem supporters are staying home.

8-10 days from now will be 2-4 days before the election.

I wonder how good Obama's polling has been since Game 3.

Does it seem like he's getting a bounce?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom