• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowdz

After a day of being calmed by 538 and PEC, I just read a Washington Post article discussing the ramifications of a popular/electoral split election.

Now I am terrified again. Bams needs to pull out both PV and ECV.

Concept17

just donated a whopping $5 to jon tester's campaign

hopefully it's not too late

I think he'll win pretty handily here. People seem to like him more than Rehberg and the state has done pretty well during his term. The only reason he might lose is because all the ads from Rehberg have been saying Tester sides with Obama 97% of the time, and this isn't the bluest state.

Jackson50

I'm kinda curious about that college prediction a while back that predicted a huge win for Romney. If they were to redo it with the present data, would their results be any different?
They updated the model, but it still projected a sizable Romney victory. But that should be expected. Their model's predicated on election fundamentals. And economic data changes gradually in the short term. Not that I think the model is sound. It was a novel concept, but there are enough problems, especially a few dubious assumptions, that they should scrap it.
Why would the Bradley Effect wait 4 years to happen?

If anything, it would have happened in 2008.
The data I cited refutes the notion of a Bradley Effect. So you're querying the wrong individual.
First post here.

I must say, these threads have been my go-to political discussion reads for months now. Thank you, you crazy fucks.

I may not say much, but damn it you guys keep me sane throughout this election.

I live in MS, so nothing that I do really matters, but my mom lives in OH and is very weirdly religious, and so was going to vote for Romney because she believed Obama enjoyed murdering babies and being a Muslim. I at the very least convinced her to not vote, which is better than nothing, I suppose.

More than anything, though, I have a bet with a guy at work who only listens to Fox who genuinely believes this will be a landslide worse than 1980. In fact, being from MS, every co-worker of mine feels this way but he was the only one dumb enough to put money on Romney.

Anyway, hello.
Welcome. These are crazy times for the thread. Buckle up.
http://i.imgur.com/gyIIi.jpg
Thoroughly enjoying the constant derision of CNN.

Cloudy

Banned
http://georgiatipsheet.com/2012/10/...articipation-in-ga-already-above-2008-levels/

According to state elections officials, 780,545 Georgians, of which 33 percent were black, had already voted in the presidential contest as of Friday.

Should the preliminary rate of participation remain steady through the close of polling on November 6, this year’s election will be recorded as the single largest black voter turn out event in state history.

I think the GOP might have erred with the voter suppression stuff. That is just as likely to make blacks vote as support for Obama

ht_eric_hartsburg_2_jef_121026_wblog.jpg

Enjoy.

BobLoblaw

Banned
After a day of being calmed by 538 and PEC, I just read a Washington Post article discussing the ramifications of a popular/electoral split election.

You do realize that it was just 12 years ago the Bush the 2nd lost the popular vote yet won the EC vote, right? I don't want to see it happen either, but if it does, then I'll call it even.

Bowdz

You do realize that it was just 12 years ago the Bush the 2nd lost the popular vote yet won the EC vote, right? I don't want to see it happen either, but if it does, then I'll call it even.

Oh, I'd definitely be happy with Obama pulling out an EC win, but if he loses the popular vote, the chances that republican rancor and obstruction goes away are essentially non existent. The GOP in the Senate will just say "Look. The majority of the country voted against Obama's plan and we now have the mandate to protect the majority opinion" and continue to threaten to filibuster all attempts at meaningful legislation. Back in 2000, Bush didn't have to deal with a Congress that was looking to block every piece of legislation offered up regardless of merit.

I think even if Obama pulls off a 2% PV win, there will still be a lot of hyper partisanship and gridlock to deal with in Congress. In that scenario however, Obama can at least say he won the majority opinion of the country and thus, has the mandate to govern accordingly.

nib95

Banned
First post here.

I must say, these threads have been my go-to political discussion reads for months now. Thank you, you crazy fucks.

I may not say much, but damn it you guys keep me sane throughout this election.

I live in MS, so nothing that I do really matters, but my mom lives in OH and is very weirdly religious, and so was going to vote for Romney because she believed Obama enjoyed murdering babies and being a Muslim. I at the very least convinced her to not vote, which is better than nothing, I suppose.

More than anything, though, I have a bet with a guy at work who only listens to Fox who genuinely believes this will be a landslide worse than 1980. In fact, being from MS, every co-worker of mine feels this way but he was the only one dumb enough to put money on Romney.

Anyway, hello.

I know it seems farcical to say, but I genuinely believe Fox News is one of the greatest problems to the US as a whole, and poisonous to the populace at large. Some people don't like the idea of news being overseen or audited, but imo it absolutely should be. Like we have Ofcom here in the UK that prevents news channels from spreading fud or hate etc, so too should a body in the US. Because currently Fox News is not much more than a propaganda peice for the extreme right that has fueled hate, racism, misinformation, lies and worse for far too long. Some of the false beliefs you've described that have been etched in to so many people's minds are precisely because of Fox. And that is unacceptable however you look at it.

Seeing as though Fox is by FAR the most popular news channel in the US, this is even scarier. More Americans are getting ignorant and more misinformed watching Fox than any other news channel, and if this isn't stopped I fear it will have further repercussions. The right is essentially brainwashing a huge portion of the population to fit their agenda using misinformation, hate or fear.

Oh, I'd definitely be happy with Obama pulling out an EC win, but if he loses the popular vote, the chances that republican rancor and obstruction goes away are essentially non existent. The GOP in the Senate will just say "Look. The majority of the country voted against Obama's plan and we now have the mandate to protect the majority opinion" and continue to threaten to filibuster all attempts at meaningful legislation. Back in 2000, Bush didn't have to deal with a Congress that was looking to block every piece of legislation offered up regardless of merit.

I think even if Obama pulls off a 2% PV win, there will still be a lot of hyper partisanship and gridlock to deal with in Congress. In that scenario however, Obama can at least say he won the majority opinion of the country and thus, has the mandate to govern accordingly.

Which would mean jack shit to Republicans. Obama won by a large margin in 2008, and Republicans basically told him to shove his mandate up his ass

Don't think I saw this posted in here earlier.

DAYTON, OH—Claiming that running for president of the United States is all he knows, Republican nominee Mitt Romney has confided to aides that he is terrified of what will happen to him if he ever stops campaigning for the highest office in the land, sources confirmed Friday.

“Seeking the presidency is something I’ve basically been doing my whole life, and it’s the only thing I’ve been doing for the past eight years,” Romney reportedly told his closest advisers. “In less than two weeks, that’ll all be over. Win or lose, I have to stop running. No more crisscrossing the country from fundraiser to fundraiser, no more early morning strategy meetings to decide what voters need to hear from me today.”

“What happens when it’s Nov. 7, I wake up, and I’m not running for president—what then?” Romney added. “Will I still pivot to my talking points when I get off-message? Oh, God, will I even have talking points? What will I talk about? Somebody, please tell me what I’m supposed to do.”

Cloudy

Banned
I think even if Obama pulls off a 2% PV win, there will still be a lot of hyper partisanship and gridlock to deal with in Congress. In that scenario however, Obama can at least say he won the majority opinion of the country and thus, has the mandate to govern accordingly

They will still say he doesn't have a clear mandate cos he was re-elected by less votes than he won the first time. Reading the article, you know the media is laying the groundwork for this

Every modern president to be re-elected — Dwight D. Eisenhower, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan, Clinton, George W. Bush — has gotten a bigger share of the vote in their second bid for office than their first, and with it, a chance to claim a mandate.

It's too bad Bush stole his first election and had a lower bar to clear :p

Boy, Josh Jordan (@numbersmuncher) and Jay Cost (@jaycosttws) are going to be entertaining on election night. Grasping at straws to explain how Romney can be winning in Ohio despite being behind in almost every poll of the state.

Swing state polls can be wrong, of course, but I don't think they've ever been as consistently wrong as they'd need to be for Romney to win. AFAIK, most of the biggest gaps between swing state polling averages and Election Day outcomes have been in cases where state polling was all over the map (i.e. Florida 2004), which simply isn't the case for NV/OH/IA/WI.

On Friday, Mitt Romney will make his closing argument on the economy in what his campaign is touting as a major address. The site Romney has chosen, however, exposes the hypocrisy and fallaciousness of one of Romney’s central economic arguments: the notion that government has no role in growing the private economy and helping businesses expand. Romney frequently mocks Obama’s “didn’t build it” remarks and routinely derides the 2009 Recovery Act as a failure that did nothing to create jobs.

But now, the GOP presidential candidate is delivering one of the last speeches of the campaign at Kinzler Construction Services in Ames, Iowa. A search of Recovery.gov shows that the firm benefited from hundreds of thousands of dollars in contracts funded by the Recovery Act. Kinzler received $649,944 in contracts under stimulus-funded Department of Energy weatherization programs. The company also received $39,370 as a sub-contractor on a federal government contract to renovate a building owned by the federal government, making for a total of $689,314 in stimulus funds.

The firm’s website even includes a section touting its “featured projects.” Several of the projects appear to be publicly-funded renovation or construction projects, including public schools in Nebraska and Iowa, a community center in Iowa, and the new central station for Des Moines’ public transportation system:

It's like they don't even bother to research this stuff. Not that it actually has an effect since people don't pay attention but geez.

Boy, Josh Jordan (@numbersmuncher) and Jay Cost (@jaycosttws) are going to be entertaining on election night. Grasping at straws to explain how Romney can be winning in Ohio despite being behind in almost every poll of the state.

Swing state polls can be wrong, of course, but I don't think they've ever been as consistently wrong as they'd need to be for Romney to win. AFAIK, most of the biggest gaps between swing state polling averages and Election Day outcomes have been in cases where state polling was all over the map (i.e. Florida 2004), which simply isn't the case for NV/OH/IA/WI.

Ohio is looking about as consistent as it did in 2004. Around +2 for Obama, just like Bush. Add in early voting, which wasn't nearly as prominent in 2004, and we might be looking at a very clear outcome on November 6th

pigeon

Banned
It's like they don't even bother to research this stuff. Not that it actually has an effect since people don't pay attention but geez.

Honestly, I think one of the best arguments for the stimulus's effectiveness is that Romney can't seem to find a single business to visit that didn't get some money from it.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
http://georgiatipsheet.com/2012/10/...articipation-in-ga-already-above-2008-levels/

I think the GOP might have erred with the voter suppression stuff. That is just as likely to make blacks vote as support for Obama

Go Georgia! We might really become a swing state soon if this keeps up. I think I can accept a massive carpet bombing of ads if it means my vote matters more.

I tried to convince my mom that we should go early vote, but she just blew it off saying the line won't be so bad on Nov. 6. I hope she's right. I would have voted on my own by now if I had a driver's license. All I've got is a learner's permit, which at least counts for the stupid Photo ID law.

hym

Banned
Seeing as though Fox is by FAR the most popular news channel in the US, this is even scarier. More Americans are getting ignorant and more misinformed watching Fox than any other news channel, and if this isn't stopped I fear it will have further repercussions. The right is essentially brainwashing a huge portion of the population to fit their agenda using misinformation, hate or fear.

Don't you think this is because a good section of the population gave up on traditional television for news? it's not like we aren't aware of it, we catch a concentrated version online but that doesn't give ratings. So the TV demographic changed and people that missed the internet train are overrepresented which is conveniently Fox's audience.

But just to play Devil's advocate, I don't think all hosts at Fox are simply GOP fanboys, this happened yesterday:
Geraldo Battles Fox & Friends Hosts: ‘Stop This Politicizing’ Of Libya
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/geraldo-battles-fox-friends-hosts-stop-this-politicizing-of-libya/

It's not the first time either he goes way against their general agenda, he publicly trashed Bill O'Reilly more than once. It would be pretty easy in such an environment to become more conservative over time but he and his bosses clearly don't want that, 1 voice doesn't make a network balanced all of a sudden of course but maybe Fox was serious about caring for the 1% whoever it may be.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
If you're just now picking up on the Republican party's hostile attitude towards minorities, then you're incredibly late to the party. Black Americans might not be entirely enthusiatic about the Democrats much of the time, but Republicans have been telling them "fuck you" since the 1920s. Now they're also telling hispanics and latinos "fuck you" and unsurprisingly that voting group is tilting heavily towards democrats as well.

It's on Obama to not take this situation for granted and sign into law immigration reform that will help remove the stigma of having brown skin instead of amplifying it. THEN we'll see the ultimate form of Nixon's southern strategy.

Diablos

I've seen this pop up on facebook several times already

pfyMA.jpg

Last year towns around here had to cancel Halloween due to downed power lines and schools were out for a week or two pushing the school year to the end of June/beginning of July. But the election goes on.
Holy fuck.

This better not ruin the election. Can't anything go right ffs.

What would happen in a state of emergency should it occur during election day, or its effects are felt until then? I.e. the storm is so bad people have to relocate temporarily and cannot vote.

HylianTom

Banned
[/B]

Which would mean jack shit to Republicans. Obama won by a large margin in 2008, and Republicans basically told him to shove his mandate up his ass
Precisely.

If Obama wins by outgaming them on the big board and they don't like it, fuck 'em. We'd still be more than "even" for 2000, given that such a win this year would likely be much more clear-cut in the key states that Obama wins. This won't be a case where some shady shit goes down, like in 1876 or 2000.

When we get to steal one via judicial fiat, then we'll be "even."

No matter what his margin of victory, Obama will not be given due respect by the hillbillies on theo other side of the aisle.

If anything, the power disruptions from the storm should be longer out in rural (i.e. GOP areas). My main concern is that Obama has FEMA and relief/recovery operations ready and rearin' to go. He can't look aloof or electorally preoccupied during this event. Heck, taking a few pics of him in a command-center-ish locale watching the storm. Make it clear that he's already made the necessary federal disaster declarations needed to make resources available, etc.. these could be a good ideas, just to ward-off potential criticism.

AniHawk

haha pretty much.

look, i know rcp has a republican lean, but i don't ignore it. even though they were off in 2008, they were really on-the-mark in 2004, and they probably just represent the low-end of the spectrum for obama this round.

rcp, tpm, 538, and princeton are all hovering somewhere between 290-303 evs. the only thing that may hamper results might be the weather messing with early voting.

SmokeMaxX

Holy fuck.

What would happen in a state of emergency should it occur during election day, or its effects are felt until then? I.e. the storm is so bad people have to relocate temporarily and cannot vote.
Who cares? Among people likely to vote on election day, Obama loses. If Republicans want to complain about how they can't vote on election day, they should stop restricting early voting.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Holy fuck.

That storm is a WEEK before election day. Jeez.

And, really, what's going to happen? Is Romney going to win New York because of a hurricane or something?

That main track on that map also takes the center of the storm straight through the reddest parts of Pennsylvania and New York, so if anybody is going to lose votes because of it, it's Romney (votes that don't really have any impact on the results of the race, of course).

And, really, what's going to happen? Is Romney going to win New York because of a hurricane or something?

That main track on that map also takes the center of the storm straight through the reddest parts of Pennsylvania and New York, so if anybody is going to lose votes because of it, it's Romney (votes that don't really have any impact on the results of the race, of course).

Virginia is the only close state that will be affected.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Silver explained on Maher tonight why he doesn't actually predict that to occur

Odrion

Banned
The media attention it'll get will sway some votes across the country. And my money is on the obvious that the narrative will be "IS THIS/THIS IS OBAMA'S KATRINA". If so much as someone's mailbox blows over it'll be considered the next Katrina, and the media will blast the airwaves with photos and videos of the mailbox's owner sobbing.

The only impact the storm will have on the election=republicans politicizing any devastation for gain. I can here the "why is Obama campaigning instead of visiting the towns impacted by this horrible storm?!?!" memes while republicans refuse to authorize extra funds

HylianTom

Banned

And keep in mind: Democrats' distance from their homes to their polling places is on average, significantly shorter than Republicans', as the GOP's voter base is more rural and spread-out.

Looking at whose base is more likely to turn-out, much more of the Democratic base can often walk down the block or hop a bus or use the subway/streetcar/etc.. or just drive a mile or two. No biggie! And their power will be among the first to be restored.

Meanwhile (can I get a bit of slow banjo music as backup here?), the Republicans have to hop into their vehicles and drive to their nearest small town/village/hamlet, often on roads that are more narrow and more subject to obstructions such as flooded streams and downed trees.

We actually had a discussion of this exact issue in one of my senior year political methodology classes. Being in Mississippi, voting during a disaster was a great discussion.

Diablos

We're looking at 2-3 days worth of impacts at least. Worst storm of its kind since 1991. Very slow moving. Possibly several days without power.

I hope it weakens and doesn't end up being as strong as anticipated.

SmokeMaxX

Virginia is the only close state that will be affected.

I keep reading these points of view, but just like Obama can't fix the economy in four years, a massive storm isn't just going to go away overnight. It might start a week before the election, but how long will it last? Also, won't the massive storm affect people who want to early vote during those days?

As far as where the storm will touch down, I haven't really looked into this particular storm, but big ones do have an effect on states further inland.

Odrion

Banned
he is a terrible candidate.

If it wasnt for that 1st non-debate, Obama would be on vacation in Hawaii while winning now.
Obama's lead was dropping like a brick before the debate and was probably going to be like the current state of the race.

So it looked like Mourdock-gate had no effect, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom