• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger

iXIEXSA27NMpU.gif

Why are we pretending that Taylord and Lana are in the same category?

EDIT- RIP Godels. Come back to us soon sis.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
you've yet to explain why Lord's music is more acclaimed despite being similar to Kidz Bop as you put it
ahh.gif

She portrays as a classy lady and american sweetheart so she gets reviewed decently cause the public loves her. 22 and IKYWT aint quality.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Baby I don't know
Just why I love you so
Maybe it's just the way
That God made me this day

Honey I hear you
And I feel for you
It won't be too long till
We're back as one again

gretfail.gif

MDNA

Neo Member
1) Listened to Birthday for I think the first time? It's super cute. I dig it.

It's a really nice song, I wish it was charting higher. Reminds me a bit of old-school Mariah up-tempos.

4) I would like Kylie and Robyn's music much much more if their voices were 18 octaves lower. Same with Britney and really anyone who sounds like the new Reeboks I bought yesterday.

Just slow her down in Audacity and you get George Michael singing her stuff.

Mau ®

Calvin Harris uploaded a pic with Ellie Goulding! They look so good together :,)

Now that FIRO is out the way, he can be with the true love of his life *.*

RIP Godels.

A mess.

Mau ®;117060170 said:
Calvin Harris uploaded a pic with Ellie Goulding! They look so good together :,)

Now that FIRO is out the way, he can be with the true love of his life *.*

YAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSS, GOD.

Get dat good D.

Tokubetsu

I bought Ultraviolence today. It’s going to take some getting used to, because it’s a lot darker and more alternative than Born To Die/Paradise, but overall I’m enjoying it. I really like about two-thirds of the tracks, but the rest have yet to click with me.

Brooklyn Baby is the obvious standout. I’m really digging the title track, Shades Of Cool, Money Power Glory, Old Money, Black Beauty, and of course West Coast. Florida Kilos is a really fun track, it lightens the mood nicely toward the end of the album. My personal favourite is her cover of The Other Women, she sings it beautifully and really brings the lyrics to life.

A big part of why I love it.

Okay I'm obsessing over Ultraviolence now. I'm finding myself more drawn to the quintessential UV "sounds" like West Coast, Guns and Roses, Brooklyn Baby and Money Power Glory than the songs most reminiscent of the Born To Die days (like Because Of You and Florida Kilos). Brooklyn Baby is gorgeous. Omg and Black Beauty. Yaas

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
You got a piece of meh
And honestlyyyyy
My LIFE (my life)
would SUCK (would suck)
withoooooout you

I still remembering hearing this live

tumblr_inline_n7a6mddgLy1qka22i.gif

Aguila

#ICONIC
Boom Clap is impacting radio. Doing very well on pop *0*

But Maroon 5 have also released their latest turd. Praying for my ears.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Mau ®;117084854 said:
Hello sistren, recommend me good break-up albums.

I need a hug :(

Say you don't love me
Say you don't want me anymore
Tell me it's over
It's over
I'll open my bottle
But no, I ain't opening this door
Bath water gets colder
So just say it's over

Cause my pocket's broke
My soul is stone
I ruined you again
And a lonely bridge
A rooftop ledge
Could just fix everything

But when I'm alone on the longest nights
I think of you and your Marlboro lights
And I, I get a bit better
And I lay here on the bedroom floor
Where your feet walked out and your daggers fall
And I, I get a little bit better

Say you'll forget me
Say you'll erase me from your mind
Right from the day of our doomed beauty
I saw my future in your eyes
Save the words you've rehearsed
We both know I won't be fine
You know the fate don't take my bribes
And I only want what's never mine

So you break the door, you break my heart
You ruined me again
And the passing trucks
The loaded guns
Never could fix anything

But when I'm alone on the longest nights
And I, I get a bit better
And I lay here on the bedroom floor
Where your feet walked out and your daggers fall
And I, I get a little bit better

When love is made so renegade
You know you're going down in flames
And if our hearts must share a grave
At least can we be friends?
You shoot your words,
They knock me down
Like rubber bullets raining out...
They bounce right off and I get up again
But if no one understands me
At least you could pretend
I never knew when love was true
But I know it's the end

But I'll be here 'til chaos calls
And God ain't listening anymore
'Cause I, I know that we could be better
And I'll stay here
To defy our fears
Even though I know it'll end in tears
'Cause I, I know that we could be better
When I'm alone on the longest nights
And I, I couldn't be better

All will be fine boy. You are a nice guy and a good gal or guy will show up eventually and lift you up *hugs*

Vazduh

Mau ®;117084854 said:
Hello sistren, recommend me good break-up albums.

Nooooo, king Mau! :/ Sorry to hear that :/ Sending hugs and a lot of love.

I'm gonna go for the most obvious album recommendation, Beck's Sea Change.

He wrote it after a painful breakup, so literally every song on the album is about heartache and loss. It's not an easy listen, but I can tell you that the album was cathartic for me, maybe it'll be for you, too.

Beck - Lonesome Tears
Beck - Already Dead
Beck - Ship in a Bottle

Other albums I'd recommend:

Fleetwood Mac - Rumors. Choice song: Go Your Own Way
Lykke Li - I Never Learn. Choice song: Gunshot
Our Lady Peace - Happiness...Is Not A Fish That You Can Catch. (this is not a breakup album per se, but it's full of sadness and bitterness so it's appropriate for the occasion) Choice song: Blister
Lotus Plaza - Spooky Action at a Distance. Choice song: Remember Our Days

I love that song! Did you know Charli XCX wrote it with Hilary Duff in mind? But Hilary's team rejected because "this wasn't cool enough for Hilary" (I don't think they did use the exact same words otherwise... well uh that's ironic).

I'm glad that Hilary's team rejected Boom Clap. Just try to imagine Hilary's "vocals" on that song, Jesus... Charli dodged a bullet with that one.

the other woman is a cover

not the only track on the album she didn't write getting most of the praise

ahh.gif

I know sis

Seems like her vocals are always stronger on covers, I guess because all her focus is on vocal execution. I like The Other Woman for the same reason I like Blue Velvet from Paradise. Aaaaalso it's probably why the greatest thing Adele's ever done (imo) is her cover of Make Me Feel Your Love.

I want Gaga to do some covers. Then again I guess I'm getting it with C2C.

Obligatory Ultraviolence rankings (as of today):

Faves:

1) Money Power Glory
2) Brooklyn Baby
3) The Other Woman
4) Black Beauty

Almost faves:

5) West Coast
6) Guns And Roses
7) Ultraviolence

Solid:

8) Shades of Cool
9) Florida Kilos
10) Old Money

Possible Growers:

11) Fucked My Way Up To The Top
12) Cruel World

No Pulse Yet:

13) Pretty When You Cry
14) Sad Girl
15) Is This Happiness

Mau ®;117084854 said:
Hello BRETHRen, recommend me good break-up albums.

*dislike being called sis

Paula DeAnda - Paula DeAnda
Shareefa - Point of No Return
Keyshia Cole - Just Like You
Keyshia Cole - The Way It Is

Sevyn Streeter - B.A.N.S (Single)
Sevyn Streeter - Shattered (Single)
T.I. feat. Pink - Guns and Roses (Single)

My honestly opinion is that you don't listen to music that reminds you of past relationship(s), but music that makes you feel good.

No feeling last forever; When life isn't going as we expect and painful emotions are running high, we often tell ourselves that this feeling will last FOREVER. Nothing could be further from the truth.

You've never felt the same way about anything or anyone consistently over your life. What you're going through now is no different. Your feelings come and go, ebb and flow, changing with the unpredictable and unexpected turns of life. The simple but wise truth is that feelings change - they always change.

How does one not completely love Fucked My Way Up To the Top

The name is great shock value but after that wears off it doesn't really make an impression. The opening five, Other Woman, Black Beauty and Florida Kilos are the ones that I've found myself humming. Everything else sort of... washed over. Old Money is good, too.

I definitely agree with Soulscribe's 'No Pulse' ones, they just hang there like a lethargic albatross around the album's neck, dragging it down even more because they're slap bang in the middle. It's bizarre because she talked in an interview about the album's specific structure but the Sad Girl > PWYC duo is a complete snoozefest mood-killer and you have to force yourself through it. How did the label let that through? It's something about the vocal effect, I think, a real echoey reverby mess that really shows with those two because they're more softly produced.

Flipside, the JP bonus track, is pretty swell. Has more of an outro than The Other Woman, feels like a natural closer. And the production is sweet. Other Woman is probably her best vocal performance.

Also, Alizee's song 'Moi... Lolita' still sleighs, what kind of French Teen Queen was she? Best one.

Aguila

#ICONIC
The Other Woman does not belong on Ultraslayage.
z9Fu88M.png
z9Fu88M.png
z9Fu88M.png
z9Fu88M.png

I definitely agree with Soulscribe's 'No Pulse' ones, they just hang there like a lethargic albatross around the album's neck, dragging it down even more because they're slap bang in the middle. It's bizarre because she talked in an interview about the album's specific structure but the Sad Girl > PWYC duo is a complete snoozefest mood-killer and you have to force yourself through it. How did the label let that through? It's something about the vocal effect, I think, a real echoey reverby mess that really shows with those two because they're more softly produced.

You will nawt come for Sad Gyal like that. It gives me native american/jazz tiis. I love it.

How does one not completely love Fucked My Way Up To the Top

Once the hook wears off (which fyi, it does fast) there isn't much else to keep my attention going.

But then again, this is Lana. I went from hating BTD to loving it a great deal in a matter of days, so this might be a grower.

Koodo

Banned
The Other Woman does not belong on Ultraslayage.
z9Fu88M.png
z9Fu88M.png
z9Fu88M.png
z9Fu88M.png
It actually doesn't with the narrative of the alberg. The first half covers youthful and problematic romances, with the latter half going down a path of an increasingly aging and twisted outlook on relationships and the world. She's a geriatric by Old Money, and then she suddenly reverts to a hot mistress with Other Woman. No tiene sentido.

Pero la song slays, so whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom