• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Oh sistren that absolute worse thing has happened.
Today I start my 10 day hospital stay doing a clinical trial and in running to the train this morning I lost one of the earbuds for my earphones.
How am I supposed to listen to music and marathon shows with only on ear for over a WEEK? The train journey here was bad enough. I'll come out with permanent damage

Madonna sucks

Get your homosexual life to Frankmusik

tumblr_mjdp11ZVzc1s7kce0o1_400.gif

Oh frankmusik is back! About time, always liked his stuff and this new track is no exception*
Him, Sam Smith and MNEK can band together and save the male pop scene. The UK pulling through once again when the rest of the world flounders.
*opinions may change when use of both ears resumes

Indie Flop Fave Who Deserves More Fame Than Your Fave Guaranteed Alert:

Ronika-009.jpg

Get into Ronika, whose album, Selectadisc, dropped silently on 2nd June, and who doubtlessly flopped harder than all your flop faves could ever dream of. Poor bitch has less than 400 followers on Spotify. She was building the hype machine in 2011 but then got waylaid by an autoimmune disease and spent a lot of time in hospital :(

However, the floppage is unfair, as her musak is actually rather good. Whilst her fashion sense has been described as 'Gwen Stefani meets George at Asda', her musical style is best described as '80s-Madonna-meets-Moroder', and she has far more vocal ability than the two aforementioned blondes. She blends modern electronic dance with 80s pop and disco influences for a timelessly iconic sound. Influences from freestyle, boogie and Italo have permeated her music in to ensure a freshness that distances her from her contemporaries. And even then, influences from jazz and funk seep in as a result of her background: Selectadisc was the name of a record shop in Nottingham where she used to go before it was closed by the evil recession.

Ronika's personal ethos is that 'music doesn't have to be dark to have depth of emotion'. Which is something I think all our faves recognise and draw from. They're just not as articulate.

Here are some songs to try:
Forget Yourself
Rough n' Soothe
In the City (you can download this one for free from her Soundcloud xxx)
Only Only
Automatic (not an album track, but still a great song)

The whole album is amazing, those are just the ones with iconic music videos. Search Siren is the most classic-disco-Moroder with beautiful vocals, serving as a tremendous closer; Video Collection is the closest to the feel of an 80s Madonna track, but with a modern twist where you can see the influences, but equally how she's evolved them into something entirely new and magical. I could go through the whole album in this manner. What all the tracks have in common is that they make you dance.

And don't just trust me, take note of these (semi-)expert opinions:
Ronika has cherry-picked key influences to create one of 2014's most assured and fun-filled debut albums. Mixmag
A masterfully assured selection of joyful pop songs. Mojo Magazine
Quirkily British, DIY re-rendering of NYC Danceteria-centred disco scene. Q Magazine
Groove-laden basslines and deep soul vocals. The Guardian
One of 2014's top dance albums. The Mirror
This is an album made of 13 bangerz - every one is a dancefloor filler and every one will be stuck in your head for weeks to come. Notion Magazine
Bold, ecstatic songs draw on synthetic 80's dance music... but don't call it throwback; this is a thoroughly contemporary singer. The Observer
Her handling of the source material is so adept, and the results are so fab and imbued with understanding and affection. Sunday Times
Immaculate...pop music for credible pop fans. NME

2014Ronika_SelectADisc600G300514.jpg

Buy Selectadisc on iTunes
Listen on Spotify

The Flop

Banned
Slay me my final X factor US winners. Loving this BOP and they did it so well today. Out on iTunes now and climbing!
scarecrow-single-cover.jpg

Scarecrow!

Also poor Kesha Rose, but she was so subdue last night. I miss my glitter trash ball! :(

royalan

Ke?ha is done.

Now that she's a television flop as well as a music flop, she's about to learn that the last thing anybody wanted was a sober Ke?ha.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Ke?ha is done.

Now that she's a television flop as well as a music flop, she's about to learn that the last thing anybody wanted was a sober Ke?ha.

Is this you admitting Christina is done then?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Ke?ha is done.

I know, right? Perhaps Ke$hew can carve out a fulfilling niche as a C-List features artist (featuring on other more famous people's tracks). Case in point: Timber. LMFAO I just looked it up and she's only FEATURED on that song, I thought that was a Ke$hew song featuring Pitbull but it's the other way around hahahahahaHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#Mess

BTW get your lives to my current obsession: Empty Streets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1e3XtQ7D5Q

take me as I ASCEND TO MUSIC NIRVANA Becky Jean Williams <3 <3 <3

102307_original.gif

oH and my other obsesh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK1mLIeXwsQ

Yes yes....... it's DeadMau5 don't judge... but it's one of the best things I've heard in 2014 though it didn't release this year

&#9834; Remember dyyyyyyyying on the night &#9834; &#9834;
&#9834; And Movingggggg through the morning light &#9834; &#9834;

102307_original.gif

Matt_

ikr
But before Roy's swift rebuttal stating that the voice was a success (it was I had just forgotten when I made the post) it really puts Xtina in even more of a dire circumstance because really the voice didn't falter without her and she failed to launch a new album off the show. What is the use of being on a successful show and not being able to launch a decent performing new era? I mean if Adam Levine can why can't yo fave?

Oh and super late reply but Xtina certainly did not start this famous singers on singing shows trend. That crown belongs to Cheryl Cole who launched a 3x Platinum album that spawned 3 top 5 hits of the show and became a national sweetheart doing so.

cory64

I mean Paula Abdul was as big as Xtina in her day, if she took advantage of the promo in the early seasons she could have had a really big comeback. Instead, she waited 6 years and had a string of flop promo singles. Not that I really saw it for her, she seems to have had some major personal issues following her second album and the market in the US in the early 2000s probably wasn't ideal for her brand.

Oily marks appear on walls
Where pleasure moments hung before.
The takeover, the sweeping insensitivity of this still life

This iconic classic. On the other hand, this song is responsible for Jason Derulo having a career, so I'm a bit mixed on its existence.

Stan Imogesus.

This wait for Sparks is testing me. August 18th now.

DON'T GET PUSHED BACK AGAIN.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Six years late, honey. :)

But yes, the songs fantastic.

tumblr_inline_mm5neyjiFF1qz4rgp.gif

;)

http://www.celebitchy.com/372649/sh...t_for_pulling_her_do_what_u_want_music_video/

Making headlines for merely pulling a video. When will YOUR faves?
ibfI13LcHC7D2B.png

tbh the thing that derailed Artpop the Era into an unrepairable mess more than anything for me (even more than Dorito Vomit-gate) was Gaga's collab with Piss Kelly and that pervert Terry Richardson with DWUW. First time I've been truly disappointed in her :sadface:

Despite people loving to speculate about it (especially in the case of Xtina), I think being a judge in a talent competition is a complete non-factor in the musical career of artists.

Failing artists would've failed with or without their judge gig, Succesful artists would've been succesful with or witho...

But personally, I think less of them when they do these shitty tv appearances.

tumblr_inline_mm5neyjiFF1qz4rgp.gif

;)

http://www.celebitchy.com/372649/sh...t_for_pulling_her_do_what_u_want_music_video/

Making headlines for merely pulling a video. When will YOUR faves?
ibfI13LcHC7D2B.png

tbh the thing that derailed Artpop the Era into an unrepairable mess more than anything for me (even more than Dorito Vomit-gate) was Gaga's collab with Piss Kelly and that pervert Terry Richardson with DWUW. First time I've been truly disappointed in her :sadface:

DWUW will be remembered as the song that killed the ARTPOP era. Choosing it over Venus at the last second threw a wrench into her momentum (even though she thought she was gaining momentum from the song getting good reviews) and all the operations pertaining to the single release (the video primarily) were pushed back. I do think had she stuck with Venus and offered the single as a sort of antithesis to Applause's relative "safeness" (you can call Venus a lot of things, but safe is not one of them) the album itself would come off a bit more three dimensional. Do What U Want, while a solid Gaga song, felt like an outlier for her. It's not really what people show up to Gaga's door to hear. They want something surprising, fresh and challenging. And since Gaga never delivered that since the beginning of the era, she just fell flat.

What every successful Gaga single had in common was that it felt new, or at least felt like it was made for a purpose. Born This Way alienated people but it pushed her further into the zeitgeist because it was worth talking about. Same with The Edge of Glory, which brought an 80s flair to the charts. You And I was another outlier, but it was her first real outlier and felt like a fresh detour while the era was phasing itself out. Songs like GUY make her come off like she's just going through the motions, or that these songs were just made in her vaccuum with no real relevance to her life or to the music scene. They lack purpose, but more importantly they lack punch.

In order for her next era to not be another miss, she needs to PLEASANTLY surprise again. Making redundant music while looking cray cray won't cut it by your fourth album. The music needs to keep up with your artistry. She's been using her mouth to sell her artistry to the public, all while her music's sitting on the sidelines. She can pull it together, I just hope she knows what the best next step is.

So drive so fast
Baby through the night
Drive so fast
And they're never gonna find you
Drive so fast
Saying no goodbyes
Drive so fast
And we'll leave it all behind you

Ooh I don't care about my lipstick
I just wanna drive you
To love, love, love, love

What kind of speeding down a deserted country road while getting a BJ antherm?

Your faves aren't ready for Carly Rae Jesus Her resurrection.

JCX

Christina's only competition in terms of reality judge is Nicki. All the others were too concerned with their image to say anything impactful.

Grizzo

oH and my other obsesh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK1mLIeXwsQ

Yes yes....... it's DeadMau5 don't judge... but it's one of the best things I've heard in 2014 though it didn't release this year

&#9834; Remember dyyyyyyyying on the night &#9834; &#9834;
&#9834; And Movingggggg through the morning light &#9834; &#9834;
102307_original.gif

I absolutely love this song ever since I discovered it in DJ Hero 2 the other day (which I bought like one month ago). Been listening to it a lot lately.

DeadMau5 is okay in my book. Plus thanks to him we had one of the best pop songs of 2010.

cory64

Dirty.

Filthy.

Nasty.

Too dirty to clean my act up.

if you ain't dirrty
you ain't here to paaaaaaartaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

LADIES
MOVE
GENTLEMEN
MOVE
RING THE ALARM
FIRE IN THE ROOM

RING THE ALARM
and im throwin elbows

Uh, let me loose

oOoooh, I'm overdue

gimme some room, coming thru
paid my dues, in the mood

me and my girls gonna shake the room

dj's spinnin, show ya hands
let's get dirrty, that's my jam

I need that UHHHH
to get me OFF

SWEATIN'
TILL
MY
CLOTHES
COME
OFF

ibffnA5HGvW1xL.gif

and we're not even at the chorus

royalan

ikr
But before Roy's swift rebuttal stating that the voice was a success (it was I had just forgotten when I made the post) it really puts Xtina in even more of a dire circumstance because really the voice didn't falter without her and she failed to launch a new album off the show. What is the use of being on a successful show and not being able to launch a decent performing new era? I mean if Adam Levine can why can't yo fave?

Oh and super late reply but Xtina certainly did not start this famous singers on singing shows trend. That crown belongs to Cheryl Cole who launched a 3x Platinum album that spawned 3 top 5 hits of the show and became a national sweetheart doing so.

...literally who?

Is this the girl who was kicked off the first season of US X-Factor after 2 episodes to make room for Nicole Scherzinger?

I mean Paula Abdul was as big as Xtina in her day, if she took advantage of the promo in the early seasons she could have had a really big comeback. Instead, she waited 6 years and had a string of flop promo singles. Not that I really saw it for her, she seems to have had some major personal issues following her second album and the market in the US in the early 2000s probably wasn't ideal for her brand.

This post reminded my how hard Paula used to slay. :(

Oh sistren that absolute worse thing has happened.
Today I start my 10 day hospital stay doing a clinical trial and in running to the train this morning I lost one of the earbuds for my earphones.
How am I supposed to listen to music and marathon shows with only on ear for over a WEEK? The train journey here was bad enough. I'll come out with permanent damage

This is why nobody should own earbuds, tbh

Yes, two people!

But no doubt there are also many lurkers reading this thread whose lives are currently in the process of being changed by Selectadisc.

I love the video for Forget Yourself, it's amazing. On a shoestring budget, using footage from an 80s robotics fair spliced with her dancing around a room, she's made a vid that shits on most of the multimillion wastes that big stars churn out. Song is awesome too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom