• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Oh i Liked VV Brown
What ever happened to Duffy? I feel like she had a massive album then vanished off the face of the earth

Vazduh

You're so right. Nowadays such a music video wouldn't make much noise. I don't even think there would be any controversy surrounding it (except from One Million Moms, maybe? haha)

I'm pretty sure most of our current popstars are gonna go the housewife route too at some point or another. I'm sure Rihanna is gonna be a whole other person in fifteen years. Let's appreciate her even more now!

Whenever someone mentions Rih's future, I'm reminded of this photoshopped photo :D

rL5d5Tt.jpg

But yeah, I agree, let's enjoy the ratchetness while it lasts.

Yes, VV Brown and Janelle Monae are tru queens and artistes, and those two songs in particular are epic bops.

VV Brown actually rerecorded Shark in the Water for her second album, Samson and Delilah. It's an interesting rework and I like it quite a bit.

Wait. WAIT! I didn't even know that she re-recorded that song! Although I still prefer the original song, this version is very good, too. Thanks for posting this.

And I agree with Nito, V V's 2nd album is better than the first one.

Oh i Liked VV Brown
What ever happened to Duffy? I feel like she had a massive album then vanished off the face of the earth

According to Wikipedia, she returned to acting. I had no clue she was also an actress. I've also read somewhere that she was disappointed by the low sales of her 2nd album, Endlessly, so I guess there lies your answer.

edit: wait, I found the source.

My mother asked this question the other day. My father said that Adele ate her.

In actuality, she released a bomba sophomore album then pulled a Paula Abdul, never to be seen again. This is an interesting analysis of Duffy from the Guardian, under the title 'When bands fall off cliffs':
Take another case. Duffy's debut album, 2008's Rockferry, sold 2.2m copies in the UK, but it wasn't only her spectacularly misjudged advert for Diet Coke in 2009 that meant the follow-up, 2010's Endlessly, shed 90% of her audience to sell only 200,000 copies.

"Duffy is an interesting case," a music industry lawyer says, "because her story applies to a lot of artists. Buoyed by success, they immediately think, 'Why am I giving 6% of record royalties, a third of my publishing and a 20% management commission to other people? I am a genius! I will do it myself!' [Duffy parted company with her manager, Rough Trade's Jeanette Lee, and with Bernard Butler who produced Rockferry, and co-wrote and played on much of it] And then make a bad record without any guidance from professionals. And then they wonder why it's all gone wrong."

I think this is the major reason for the sophomore slump that a lot of artists suffer from.

And I agree with Nito, V V's 2nd album is better than the first one.

Samson and Delilah is an underrated gem. Sublime.

Yado

Yas Took The Night, this eternal bop

Every time I walk in the club
They hatin on me cause they know I look good
My hair done right and my dress real tight
All eyes on me, I took the night

iW1mhWU2CQNYv.gif

Grizzo

Whenever someone mentions Rih's future, I'm reminded of this photoshopped photo :D

rL5d5Tt.jpg

But yeah, I agree, let's enjoy the ratchetness while it lasts.[/URL]

Haha I love that pic! I also really like the one of Jennifer Lopez in the same "project"

oh....... that was....... underwhelming to say the least. But then again, I don't usually like Zedd's output. Except for Clarity.

I don't know, it sounds like a scandipop song, like something from September or something. It also reminded me of Who's That Chick?.

I kinda like the last 20 seconds though. Would have been better if the beat went hard like that.

Tokubetsu

My mother asked this question the other day. My father said that Adele ate her.

In actuality, she released a bomba sophomore album then pulled a Paula Abdul, never to be seen again. This is an interesting analysis of Duffy from the Guardian, under the title 'When bands fall off cliffs':

I think this is the major reason for the sophomore slump that a lot of artists suffer from.

Samson and Delilah is an underrated gem. Sublime.

Happens in rap all the time. You ride the intial wave with management and producers, usually ppl you came up with and then immediately dump them for the second album. Typically the producers end up way better off down the line.

Jitters

Trends are always followed in pop music. "No artistry" oh brother, its just entertainment.

I bet you guys listen to FKA Twigs.

Jitters

Tell them. Don't some of them stan Kelly Clarkson and Lady Gaga?
yGD2aSl.gif

Well the folks that stan them probably are fine with the song. Kelly sucks ,but Gaga had one of my favorite pop albums in a minute with Art Pop. The peeps that will trash Ari are the ones into crappy sophisti-pop or faint art pop like Alunageorge.

Well the folks that stan them probably are fine with the song. Kelly sucks ,but Gaga had one of my favorite pop albums in a minute with Art Pop. The peeps that will trash Ari are the ones into crappy sophisti-pop or faint art pop like Alunageorge.

This out of nowhere gathering. Go in.

Atlantis

omg this post has everything.

P E R C H E D

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Tell them. Don't some of them stan Kelly Clarkson and Lady Gaga?
yGD2aSl.gif

I stan Gaga! I also stan Lana del Rey, isn't she your current fave Aguila?

Kelly Clarkson though
trash.gif

YASSSS TELL them Jitters!
65645c7d979a9234280f6294313ae050.jpg

BTW Popgaf get into my already iconic
massive flop of a
Kiesza thread
iw5MF3EPy1QKa.gif

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=119308634&highlight=#post119308634

this is serving seanspeed in a race thread
wJ05P.gif

snatch dem bald
wJ05P.gif

Aguila

#ICONIC

No AlunaForgotten song is as good as Break Free.

ibmEFRnzbqIV9f.gif

Jitters

Usually when I talk about Ari, I ham it up. Just cuz its fun, but I agree. I dislike pop-for-smart-people almost as much as I dislike when those pompous dudes in the 70's tried to dignify rock with prog rock.

Usually when I talk about Ari, I ham it up. Just cuz its fun, but I agree. I dislike pop-for-smart-people almost as much as I dislike when those pompous dudes in the 70's tried to dignify rock with prog rock.

How is AlunaGeorge 'pop for smart people'? It was very straightforward and catchy.

Break Free is bland, and not even fun, honestly. It falls completely flat.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Not their fault you cant understand it.

Jitters

How is AlunaGeorge 'pop for smart people'? It was very straightforward and catchy.

Break Free is bland, and not even fun, honestly. It falls completely flat.

I guess just its faintness.The grooves are boring to me, and they have weak hooks. Pop is all about the hooks, but a lot of people are getting too good for hooks. I hate UK Garage so maybe that is why I don't like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom