• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazduh

I finally gave Sia's album a listen. My favorites are Chandelier, Big Girls Cry, Elastic Heart and Cellophane. As for the rest of the album, it's inoffensive (well, depending on whether you can stand her voice) pop, but nothing I'll come back to.

For some reason Pitchfork has just named Ariana's Break Free as Best New Track.

597033avrilpopworld2.gif

Grizzo

Hahahah, what kind of an unlikely bop? I use... ironically. Had to make a gif:

F1gKVMB.gif

Nice gif, I'm sure it's gonna get some use pretty soon!

I agree, it's a cohesive album with little filler, and even those few songs that can be classified as such (Skin, Complicated) are solid, too. That's why I was so disappointed with Talk That Talk, which felt really half-assed and uninspired. If it weren't for We Found Love, Birthday Cake and Where Have You Been, it probably would have been regarded as one of her weakest. Even the usually reliable Dr. Luke dropped the ball with You Da One.

And yaaaaaaas for me having a French twin brother ;)

Btw, do you have a last.fm account?

As a matter of fact, yeah, I had one like eight years ago, but then I stopped using it in early 2011 (because I had to switch computers and forgot to download the scrobbler app). Don't judge my taste, back then I was listening to cheesy pop (mostly), haha :D

I might start up a new account soon but I'll have to find a way to import all my plays on iTunes!

(by the way, You Da One was really disappointing, but I still use it from time to time, haha)

Vazduh

The new BROODS single, L.A.F. is just lovely.

It's a second single from their upcoming album "Evergreen" which should be out in October.

As a matter of fact, yeah, I had one like eight years ago, but then I stopped using it in early 2011 (because I had to switch computers and forgot to download the scrobbler app). Don't judge my taste, back then I was listening to cheesy pop (mostly), haha :D

I might start up a new account soon but I'll have to find a way to import all my plays on iTunes!

(by the way, You Da One was really disappointing, but I still use it from time to time, haha)

You were stanning for Jamelia, Jojo, Holly Valance and The Veronicas? I also see Santigold.

yes_and_tears.gif

Slay. And yesssss to the new profile. Or just reset the scrobbler on your old one if you want to start over.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Today is

GncOXX1.png

And I (we?) listened to:

Click for Spotify.

Conclusion: I thought it was a very solid pop album, but the singles are still the best thing that came from it (Indestructible, Dancing On My Own, Hang With Me, Call Your Girlfriend, U Should Know Better). There were some repetitive songs that were interesting (Don't Fucking Tell Me What To Do, None of Dem, We Dance To The Beat). They kind of added a bit of variety to the flow of the album, but I think I would only listen to None of Dem on its own (because of that bridge *0*). Time Machine is another standout track; I loved the anthemic chorus. The last three songs did not end the album well, imo. They just kind of flatlined the whole thing. O, and I think Fembot is skipworthy.

Next album announced tonight :^)

Warrior is the best pop album of the 2010s.
ibpCw5OYcbzBqE.gif

I'll listen to Stripped again later (clearly I need to pay more attention to Loving Me 4 Me, I thought it was sumptuously atmospheric and emotive but couldn't remember anything else about it :rip:), but Back to Basics was too obtuse for my MDMA-juiced blood so I listened to Celebration instead.
ibpCw5OYcbzBqE.gif

I would never put Stripped in the same category as Bangerz.

People like to brand Stripped as some sort of balls-to-the-wall, no-fucks-given album about partying and being free with your body and your sexuality and all that, and while some of that applies IMO the album feels much more calculated, personal, and very very refined. Stripped was a liberation album not just in the sense of coming out of a coccoon to cause a ruckus, but coming out of a cocoon in order to talk about where you've been and where you are now. While Bangerz feels like a breath of fresh air, Stripped feels more cathardic, and it's a much more meaningful album because its themes revolve around the artist coming into her own. Bangerz doesn't really have much commentary on artistry. Bangerz feels like Miley in Wonderland, where she's being led through a crazy world and she's sort of along for the ride. Because of that it doesn't feel like the artist is at the source of the story. Stripped is an artist introspective to me.

And this is the spiritual successor to Stripped:

beyonce_album_cover.jpg

Conclusion: I thought it was a very solid pop album, but the singles are still the best thing that came from it (Indestructible, Dancing On My Own, Hang With Me, Call Your Girlfriend, U Should Know Better). There were some repetitive songs that were interesting (Don't Fucking Tell Me What To Do, None of Dem, We Dance To The Beat). They kind of added a bit of variety to the flow of the album, but I think I would only listen to None of Dem on its own (because of that bridge *0*). Time Machine is another standout track; I loved the anthemic chorus. The last three songs did not end the album well, imo. They just kind of flatlined the whole thing. O, and I think Fembot is skipworthy.

That last sentence makes this whole review

ibgRuXQx713qBq.png

Grizzo

The new BROODS single, L.A.F. is just lovely.

It's a second single from their upcoming album "Evergreen" which should be out in October.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbKHL9Y7pe0

I love Bridges, I've been listening to it a lot these past few months. Thanks for the link! I will give it a spin!

You were stanning for Jamelia, Jojo, Holly Valance and The Veronicas? I also see Santigold.

yes_and_tears.gif

Slay. And yesssss to the new profile. Or just reset the scrobbler on your old one if you want to start over.

Will do! And JoJo is just... I can't get enough of her voice, I know her two albums by heart. Her mixtapes are pretty great too.

Actually, if I had to make a top 5 of my fav artists of all time, it would be: Sugababes, Brandy, P!nk, JoJo and Nelly Furtado.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Today is
And I (we?) listened to:

Click for Spotify.

Next album announced tonight :^)

Oh I completely forgot to listen, so I shall be super lttp with impressions on this

ibpCw5OYcbzBqE.gif

Inclined to agree tbh, just sublime

Vazduh

No lies detected, especially if we're talking about the flawless Deluxe version.

tumblr_me7s4d12Lz1ru5201.gif

I love Bridges, I've been listening to it a lot these past few months. Thanks for the link! I will give it a spin!

The song is really good, I think you'll like it, especially since you like Bridges.

I wonder whether Capitol Records will manage to push them to success like Universal pushed Lorde. They have the right producer behind them (Joel Little), they just need a bigger song.

Will do! And JoJo is just... I can't get enough of her voice, I know her two albums by heart. Her mixtapes are pretty great too.

Actually, if I had to make a top 5 of my fav artists of all time, it would be: Sugababes, Brandy, P!nk, JoJo and Nelly Furtado.

Nice selection. I'm not that familiar with Jojo's old stuff aside from the singles (Too Little Too Late is still awesome), but I love Agápē (Billions is everything) and #LoveJo, and I'm also looking forward to her third studio album. She's been through a lot, and she deserves all the success she can get.

Btw, what is your favorite Sugababes incarnation? 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 or... gulp... 4.0?

3phemeral

I liked her first album but the new music has been eh.

Baby I came on while I was checking out Songza's "Uplifting R&B Pop" and I found myself bopping. I didn't even recognize her at first, so when it finally clicked, I had an almost immediate reaction to judge, but then I gave in and realized that discovering music this way is actually a pretty solid way of actually enjoying music without stan-war prejudices seeping in. :)

Baby I came on while I was checking out Songza's "Uplifting R&B Pop" and I found myself bopping. I didn't even recognize her at first, so when it finally clicked, I had an almost immediate reaction to judge, but then I gave in and realized that discovering music this way is actually a pretty solid way of actually enjoying music without stan-war prejudices seeping in. :)

Ariana first album was really good. I generally cycle back to it a lot more than I thought I would. It's very b-tier bops that are cute with your little sister in the car engaging in karaoke on the way to the beach. It's a good summer album for this year as well. Unfortunately Break Free is trash and that's pretty much it. Zedd produced it and that pretty much sealed it's fate.

3phemeral

Ariana first album was really good. I generally cycle back to it a lot more than I thought I would. It's very b-tier bops that are cute with your little sister in the car engaging in karaoke on the way to the beach. It's a good summer album for this year as well. Unfortunately Break Free is trash and that's pretty much it. Zedd produced it and that pretty much sealed it's fate.

Seems to be the consensus around here but as much as I want to try the album out track by track, I think I'm doing myself and the music more favors by doing a radio-like, semi randomly selected exposure to it. I may indeed check her album out at some point (I bought Electric Lady a long time ago and still haven't put it in rotation, but I will). Like you said, Baby I is a b-tier inoffensive bop that you can listen to innocuously. :)

royalan

I was just listening to Velvet Rope (To Hang Your Faves) at work today. Truly an iconic piece of work. *.*

But let me listen to Body Talk out of appreciation of Aguila's efforts. *.*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom