• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bye

The only decent thing she's ever done was White Noise, and that was 99% Disclosure's doing

Plus she's fug
Villain-of-week-32-520x317.jpg

Grizzo

I liked Ariana's first album, but this song does nothing for me. I don't hate it either, and she can always win me back with her next single who knows.

Nothing to get pressed over imo. Bad singles happen to everybody.

HBRevYf.gif

Latch

You gals should listen to both V V Brown albums. So different yet both are enjoyable albums. (Samson and Delilah >>>>>> Travelling Like the Light tho)

Samson & Delilah changed my life, breh

mariahfakecry.gif

Substitute for Love alone is just...

mariahfakecry.gif

Like, how you come through and SCALP on the first track

mariahfakecry.gif

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Gaga looking elegant with Tony Bennett last night at the Montreal Jazz Festival

10408166_10152341426409902_1209112977733977778_n.jpg

I really want Jazzga to happen for her next era, I'd so be here for it

Vitanimus

bye

The only decent thing she's ever done was White Noise, and that was 99% Disclosure's doing

Plus she's fug

BYE from a leona stan
09954248.gif

Also I tried getting into V V Brown a couple of months ago with S&D and I like some of the tracks but the whole album felt heavy... like I needed to breathe after a few tracks

Nemesis_

Idolator have done an intereview with Diplo.

10251417_466120113531730_1233987181_n.jpg

Speaking of chameleons, you’re working with Madonna who is known for consistently reinventing herself. For you as a producer, is that a good thing because you’re able to do whatever you want or is it a challenge?

DIPLO: I think with her I didn’t know what to expect. I didn’t know if we were going to actually make records or not. It was kind of like I’d give her a week to see if the chemistry was there, but she was up for anything. I love when an artist gives a producer the confidence he needs to work with them, and Madonna was very very open-minded to my ideas. I really love that. A lot of times I’m having to sell my projects and my ideas to them, but she was down from day one. We’ve written about seven songs now, and hopefully maybe four or five will make it to the album. I’ve done about three weeks with her, and we’re gonna do some more projects at the end of July. She’s just really cool. I think as far as artists reinventing themselves, she did it before anybody else. She kind of began that trend of actually coming back with a whole new look and style and sound and winning it and hitting the top of the charts. I don’t think anybody had done it to that level. She works hard. In the studio, I was Googling her while I was working with her, and she’s literally sold like 300 million copies of songs. She’s a force to be reckoned with. We had a lot of fun. Those records are gonna be crazy sounding. We really pushed the envelope with some of the stuff we were doing. The last night we were just having fun, and she was like, “Yo, give me some of the craziest shit you’ve got right now,” and we literally wrote a song that night on the craziest record I had. And it worked. All of the best songs happen on a whim. When I made Alex Clare’s “Too Close,” that record didn’t make the album, he got dropped, and it became a #1 record in America. It was like the biggest Rock record of 2012. We made that high on mushrooms, not even thinking about it making the record. With Usher, we made “Climax” in literally like ten minutes. With M.I.A., I made “Paper Planes” on a roof in the Caribbean. No microphone covers, just recording right there outside. Every time we do something you never can expect when the magical stuff’s gonna happen.

Who else are you working with outside of the Major Lazer project?

A lot of stuff with Elliphant, another Scandinavian girl who’s pretty awesome. Usher, we did a bunch of new stuff for. Done some stuff for Gwen Stefani for her new record possibly. Rita Ora, Pusha T. Ty Dolla $ign I’ve done a lot of stuff with. I love him. I literally found him and was like, “Yo I love your stuff. I wanna try and progress what you’re doing.” He’s my favorite artist out of LA right now. He’s real dope.

You can read the whole thing right here

iKWttOYdtiskY.gif

Madonna may still be a while off, then. I have no sense of time with these things, but idk. I think Taylor and Rih are definitely releasing this year.

So this morning I bought a ton of shit, including nineteen CDs for bargain prices.
Christina Aguilera- Stripped, Back to Basics, Keeps Gettin Better
Rihanna- Talk That Talk
Annie- Anniemal
Anastacia- Anastacia
Annie Lennox- The Collection
Ke?ha- Warrior
Michael Jackson- Off the Wall
Janet Jackson- Design of a Decade
Goldfrapp- Head First
Sade- Soldier of Love
Gwen Stefani- L.A.M.B.
The Knife- Deep Cuts
Mariah Carey- Music Box, Daydream, The Emancipation of Mimi
Madonna- Celebration
Kylie Minogue- The Abbey Road Sessions

Gonna be fun to dig into. I'll be kept entertained for the next few days, at least.
I'm going to start with Christina Aguilera. Charli XCX stans for Stripped so it should be good. Or at least, not terrible. These album lengths are something else though, roughly 80 minutes? Yikes. The last time I heard a Christina song was eons ago so it's all going to be fresh and exciting.

cory64

Let's not act like we don't know the difference between basic bops and uninspired recycled trash. Break Free is the latter. Idk how this "smart-pop" dichotomy is supposed to defend Break Free from criticism, it's just not giving it boo.

I'm living for this gif usage.

Diplo is filtH. Hew knows how many diseases he's carrying. I feel like I need to bathe just after seeing that shirtless picture.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I'm living for this gif usage.

Diplo is filtH. Hew knows how many diseases he's carrying. I feel like I need to bathe just after seeing that shirtless picture.

Right??! And I still can't with those douche cell phone commercials on TV he used to do all the time or whatever the hell product it was he was shilling.
I feel like my eyes need a good cleansing tbh
giphy.gif

I listened to my first Rihanna album! I started with Unapologetic and it wasn't that bad. I don't remember a handful of the songs but the ones I do remember are pretty good. I have a feeling I'll like Talk That Talk better.

Grizzo

I listened to my first Rihanna album! I started with Unapologetic and it wasn't that bad. I don't remember a handful of the songs but the ones I do remember are pretty good. I have a feeling I'll like Talk That Talk better.

Loud is my personal fav, but most people would say that Good Girl Gone Bad is the pinnacle of her career (it's the one that really cemented her status as a "proper popstar").

Let us know how you liked her albums once you listened to them!

Well, I use most of the songs from Stripped.

It's very long though. Too many of the tracks pull out the piano and sound rather samey as a result, and she goes into shouty mode quite a bit. I'm not sure why people go on about her vocals so much, they're not that great :/

It sounds like she just threw all of the songs from recording sessions on there; if it was edited down and they removed Cruz, Soar, Loving Me 4 Me and Impossible it would be far more palatable and an easier listen. Maybe Make Over too, it's very harsh on the ears. The whole thing dips in the middle, with the exceptions of Underappreciated and Beautiful.

I love the extent of the personal transformation the album demonstrates. There's sexuality, obviously, but also themes of empowerment and an awareness of social norms. The lyricism is interesting even when the instrumentation and vocals falter.

I think that with more listens I'll like it more, but it's a first impression that leans towards positive.

Vazduh

Next!

Gks9zsh.gif

Haha I love that pic! I also really like the one of Jennifer Lopez in the same "project"

Hah! That one is even better :D This actually looks like Jen's mom a bit :SSSSSSSSSS

btw, Loud is my fav Rihanna album, too!

Crumpet had posted her before but her new song is so good.

Tiaan - Devil's Touch

Wait! I love this. Thanks for posting.

Trends are always followed in pop music. "No artistry" oh brother, its just entertainment.

I bet you guys listen to FKA Twigs.

FKA Twigs shits, bye.

SsUztrS.gif

I'm not too crazy about the song yet, but the video... whoa.

iOBpR4qlboBhz.gif

I wasn't prepared for that! Definitely their best so far.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Kesha Rose new single allegedly coming in a few weeks. Apparently sounds different than everything she did before.

*Perched*

I'm not too crazy about the song yet, but the video... whoa.

iOBpR4qlboBhz.gif

I wasn't prepared for that! Definitely their best so far.

Right?! Probably the highest budget thing their label has ever put out, looks like they used some good ass cameras. The song is growing on me fast, something about the structure of the chorus irks me though.

Grizzo

What is this??? I think just fell in love with this song and these girls.

Hah! That one is even better :D This actually looks like Jen's mom a bit :SSSSSSSSSS

btw, Loud is my fav Rihanna album, too!

Oh! People don't like this one, but I think it's cohesive and it had her best string of singles, imo (except California King Bed, but Man Down more than made up for that).

Also, I noticed we usually have the same taste! You must be my long lost twin brother/gaffer from Croatia! :D

It's very long though. Too many of the tracks pull out the piano and sound rather samey as a result, and she goes into shouty mode quite a bit. I'm not sure why people go on about her vocals so much, they're not that great :/

It sounds like she just threw all of the songs from recording sessions on there; if it was edited down and they removed Cruz, Soar, Loving Me 4 Me and Impossible it would be far more palatable and an easier listen. Maybe Make Over too, it's very harsh on the ears. The whole thing dips in the middle, with the exceptions of Underappreciated and Beautiful.

I love the extent of the personal transformation the album demonstrates. There's sexuality, obviously, but also themes of empowerment and an awareness of social norms. The lyricism is interesting even when the instrumentation and vocals falter.

I think that with more listens I'll like it more, but it's a first impression that leans towards positive.

Infatuation is soooooo good. It's everything you'll need this summer.

enigmatic_alex44

FYI, now that I've successfully Febreezed Diplo out of my subconcious, give the Anit-Diplo and far superior Kaskade a chance:
1. better music
2. better looking
3. doesn't post nasty toilet pics "accidentally" online

check out his best collection imo "Dynasty" (he uses female vocals on all of this stuff, some of my most-played on my playlist)

A few of my faves:

To the Skies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo7Y2iSoj0I

Only You (I've posted this one before)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVFR3k0xMtc

Don't Stop Dancing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raUpjfiWRps

the title track Dynasty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX6BiYMikxs

not sure if this is really POPGAF's "thing" tbh, but I def jam to it, and perhaps some lurkers will enjoy :)
Jimmy-Pesto-Jr-Dancing-Gif.gif

those are like some of the best songs on the album, especially Loving Me 4 Me. I do agree though that Stripped could definitely be trimmed down.

royalan

YAAAAAAASSSSS STAN THE ORIGINAL GOOD GIRL GONE BAD TRANSFORMATION ALBUM.

Stripped is a classic. Yeah, it's a bit long, but I think that's a symptom of what has always been Christina's classic problem: she's an R&B singer in a pop singer's body. She does both genres equally well, but she has yet to master going between both genres on a single album in a way that keeps everyone happy. People want her to be more Pop, others want her to be more soulful, when really she occupies this middle space that's maybe only shared by Beyonce. Although I don't think Beyonce has ver gone AS Pop as Christina has.

You can usually tell where a person is coming from in how they view Christina by which songs they suggest cutting. Me? I could never imagine Stripped without Impossible and Loving Me 4 Me. They're two of my all-time favorite songs by her.

And completely agree on the themes of transformation being so strong on the album. While the production itself differs from track to track, the general themes of womanhood and being a girl standing against the social expectations that exist for "certain" girls are really strong throughout the album without ever getting too bogged down in its own message, and still being fun.

Stripped is everything Bangerz wanted to be and wasn't.

Vazduh

Right?! Probably the highest budget thing their label has ever put out, looks like they used some good ass cameras. The song is growing on me fast, something about the structure of the chorus irks me though.

Yeah, I prefer the verses over chorus, because it just doesn't mesh with the rest of the song IMHO.

Btw, here's a fun article about SM Entertainment and their music videos which mostly follow the same formula. I'm glad someone called them out, especially for that close-up shake effect which is really annoying.

I think I like Rihanna now. ~~

Yaaaaaas, stan!

What is this??? I think just fell in love with this song and these girls.

Hahahah, what kind of an unlikely bop? I use... ironically. Had to make a gif:

F1gKVMB.gif

Oh! People don't like this one, but I think it's cohesive and it had her best string of singles, imo (except California King Bed, but Man Down more than made up for that).

Also, I noticed we usually have the same taste! You must be my long lost twin brother/gaffer from Croatia! :D

I agree, it's a cohesive album with little filler, and even those few songs that can be classified as such (Skin, Complicated) are solid, too. That's why I was so disappointed with Talk That Talk, which felt really half-assed and uninspired. If it weren't for We Found Love, Birthday Cake and Where Have You Been, it probably would have been regarded as one of her weakest. Even the usually reliable Dr. Luke dropped the ball with You Da One.

And yaaaaaaas for me having a French twin brother ;)

Btw, do you have a last.fm account?

Mumei

Sis, Loving Me 4 Me is one of her best songs and she actually sings well on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom