• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

irI6OwXDMYwO0.png

I don't know if you young people are familiar with Ms Chaka Khan, but I've been feeling nostalgic late for the good old days when music contained instruments and talented singers. I figured I'd queue up an old favorite and give her a spin, and golly gee whiz if I didn't get every ounce of my life. I figured being the music lovers you all are you'd appreciate a classic like:
iZrDm3Wv8Weyf.jpg

The album is great from end to end.

1. "At Midnight (My Love Will Lift You Up)"
2. "Close the Door"
3. "Slow Screw Against the Wall / A Flat Fry"
4. "Earth Song"
5. "Everlasting Love"
6. "Hollywood"
7. "Magic in Your Eyes"
8. "Better Days"
9. "Egyptian Song"

Bonus song from:
i1zMYwazX3Tjd.jpg

"Any Love"

Bonus bonus song from:
iMLZfnCpLEP3o.jpg

"Our Love's In Danger"
Featuring backing vocals from Whitney Houston, Cissy Houston, and Luther Vandross.

royalan

Ehhh, Kimbra's Inside my Love was not pleasant, to me at least.

I find this cover to be better.

Ew. No.

She went and took a sensual, soulful ballad and turned it into dime-a-dozen indie pop crap.

At least Kimbra manages to make the song her own while maintaining the spirit of the original's production.

Besides, Kimbra's version is just rehearsal audio. Don't act like she can't scalp your faves in a studio recording.

Ew. No.

She went and took a sensual, soulful ballad and turned it into dime-a-dozen indie pop crap.

At least Kimbra manages to make the song her own while maintaining the spirit of the original's production.

Besides, Kimbra's version is just rehearsal audio. Don't act like she can't scalp your faves in a studio recording.

She can't scalp my fav but I get the reference lol. I don't know, her rendition is very old but when it first came out, I really liked it. Maybe it was her British voice that hit me in the right places but the atmosphere of the song is what really pulled it through for me. I find it it still be soulful in the sense that she isn't overpowering the song with her voice but playing on the beat.

Kimbra's was a rehearsal but if it was studio, then I'm sure she would of killed it. Unfortunately, that audio was not doing her any favors.

Aguila

#ICONIC
My thing went back to the beginning with no skips left. Not here for this. Listening to the Hits of the 80's station instead I guess.

royalan

Ch...Apple. How can a company that produces such flawless hardware be responsible for such shit software. iTunes is the buggiest piece of junk. And every addition just makes it worse.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
All the hype around the album in the end damaged it a bit for me. Its not a bad album but there are some things that are poorly constructed in terms of lyrics. Most of the instrumentals are good (mostly) and her voice is better here than the other album but there are times she can still annoy me with the vocals.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Alexandra Stan "Dance" might be up for streaming later today.

Let me perch for generic, culture appropriation queen of the gays!

Vazduh

For some reason I decided to watch the first video 'N SYNC ever did, the European cut of "I Want You Back", and WOW, what a cringe-fest! I had a good laugh, and of course, I had to gif the best parts:

mNv2sZK.gif

4NACu6N.gif

MjyCLz9.gif

Who knew that four years later they'd be the world's biggest boyband, lol

Alexandra Stan "Dance" might be up for streaming later today.

Let me perch for generic, culture appropriation queen of the gays!

Count me in, too!

Mau ®;121150108 said:
kiiii @ the Rih-FIFA thread

I just saw that LOL. I've been playing soccer since I was 6, but even I can acknowledge that FIFA's rule that absolutely nobody else can touch the cup is sort of ridiculous o__o.

Ri just wanted to hang out with team Germany and I don't blame her tbh o_o

Mau ®

Nobody has reported on this (rightfully so) but MTV has announced the first few performers for the VMA's and it's looking dreadful

5SOS
Usher (he's opening)
Ariana (w/Zedd)

Rumor has it Beyoncé is getting the Video Vanguard Award.

I feel Katy and/or Miley will sweep tbh. Hopefully the R8 era is active by then.

Grizzo

Mau ®;121159444 said:
Nobody has reported on this (rightfully so) but MTV has announced the first few performers for the VMA's and it's looking dreadful

5SOS
Usher (he's opening)
Ariana (w/Zedd)

I feel Katy and/or Miley will sweep tbh. Hopefully the R8 era is active by then.

Surely Katy is gonna sing This Is How We Do and bring out the real Mariah Carey on stage during her performance to show everybody that they've patched things up.
(just kidding)
(who knows?)

Other than that, seems boring so far. Though Usher could do a medley just like he did at the BET Awards, that was pretty good. 5S0S & Ariana....... mehhhhhh.

Mau ®;121150108 said:
kiiii @ the Rih-FIFA thread

Yall are doing God's work in there. I'm not even going to attempt to touch that thread. DMJ clock was priceless and needless to say, I agree with it. seeing as these are the same dudes who make "[insert female entertainer] sure is looking good these days" threads with nothing but vapid conversations, meme and gifs but have the nerve, in the same breath, to come for PopGAF? Bye Felicia at that mess lol.

Lindsay, girl... I have been rooting for you but what the hell...

Oprah gonna snatch soon. Lol

Mau ®;121159444 said:

5SOS
Usher (he's opening)
Ariana (w/Zedd)

Sounds like a snooze fest already. Surprised at Bey getting video Vanguard when I thought Rih was going to get it. Besides it's a rumor so she might not. I could see Katy sweeping, but not so sure about Miley. Ariana is probably going to stand there and sing, so I'll watch Netflix until her segment is over, and then watch it on YouTube later on lol!

Vazduh

Yall are doing God's work in there. I'm not even going to attempt to touch that thread. DMJ clock was priceless and needless to say, I agree with it. seeing as these are the same dudes who make "[insert female entertainer] sure is looking good these days" threads with nothing but vapid conversations, meme and gifs but have the nerve, in the same breath, to come for PopGAF? Bye Felicia at that mess lol.

I just saw his post.

ArLM4yT.gif

Lindsay, girl... I have been rooting for you but what the hell...

She's beyond any help, tbh.

Okay here are some impressions to end all impressions since this was a big deal for me. lol

I'm still processing the Ball from last night. That was the first major arena concert I think I've been to, and I had really really good seats. The San Antonio venue is a relatively small one, so even mid level side-eye seats felt really close to the action. I was feeling really antsy because I never realized how cramped the reserved seating was, and since we were sitting next to this old couple I was worried that we were just gonna be sitting down awkwardly instead of being up and dancing like I wanted to.

The concert itself was everything I could have wanted and the energy in the room was so incredible and infectious. Given how shitty her openers were (more on that below) I was worried that the audience was going to stay fragmented and kind of tepid but I was wrong. She has an amazing way of keeping the audience on its feet (figuratively and otherwise) and never let there be a lull (though as I'll mention below, some songs just could not be saved). There were certain songs that had everyone completely destroyed and there were others that got a more mild response, but in general the energy was at a maintained high right from beginning to end.

First, the opening numbers. Crayon Pop was getting sympathy cheers from the audience through most of their set, even though by the second half of their set most people were on their phones or going on a bathroom run. First of all, these bitches were wearing helmets and what looked like bike gear, and for no goddamn reason. I thought "oh wow, they must be gearing up for some intensive choreography." No bitch. They were like "OKAY HERE WE GO HERE'S THE NEXT SONG ARE YU READDDYY?? OKAY HERE IT GOES" and then it was some Spice Girls-grade nonsense. I was enjoying how shockingly uninspiring they were, and I was getting my life from some of their audience exchanges:

Crayon Pop: This last song was called [Korean], and the one before it was [Korean]. Which one did you like mooooore-u??
Audience: *silence*
Crayon Pop: OKAY

The whole thing felt like we were being distracted while someone robbed us but it was still a step-up from Lady Starlight, who is pretty much what you'd get if Waluigi shopped at Forever 21. She kind of just stood there and air punched invisible babies while looking really impressed with the two beats she pressed a button to create. She was like "can you believe this was made with real instruments?? I KNOW SHOCKER RIGHT" and I'm like "you're still pressing a button bitch, don't try it."

So that went on for about 16 hours but once she waltzed off stage (and was struck in the face with a Koons ball on the way) everything just became so fucking HYPE.

The three-song combo of ARTPOP, G.U.Y. and Donatella was so unbelievably punching. My friends and I were so thankful that the people behind us were standing up, because we were on our feet serving mug and body-ody-ody, and it was Donatella's final chorus that had me feeling like Zeus stomping on Hades' flaming wig on my way to Olympus' premiere gay bathhouse. Pure gold. G.U.Y was fantastic because the audience was largely singing along and the outro literally shook the arena.

When Venus rolled in and those gorgeous mesh trees started sprouting out of the stage, that's when I felt like I was experiencing something truly special. I was so caught up in the moment of "THIS IS MY FAVE SINGING MY FAVE SONG HOLY SHIT" and I started losing my mind a little bit. I'm pretty sure I was spanking myself next to a very brave and patient old couple who had to brave my nonsense. I'm so sorry guys.

There was a slight lull after that because she said something like "This show is for my fans, and because of that we're celebrating the latest album ARTPOP." While an obvious thing to say, the reaction in the arena was relatively tepid and the reason was also obvious. She then goes "if you haven't listened to ARTPOP, or don't want to, then grab a glowstick and get out." Less tepid response from the audience but the tone of it felt pretty defensive. It was made worse by transitioning immediately into MANiCURE, which I do think is one of her weakest songs conceptually. That part of the set felt like the worst possible way to sell this album, and the fact that it felt like she still had to SELL it in the first place was sort of awkward. It would have been okay if the song was made better in this setting but it really wasn't.

When Just Dance, Pokerface and Telephone were performed the audience was definitely more invigorated. I could see some stragglers tuning back in and getting pumped up after MANiCURE slowed the momentum down. Do What U Want got a really rousing reaction, even bigger than Alejandro which I thought was pretty unexpected.

But it was Born This Way (acoustic) that really brought the room together in a sincere way, and I'm honestly surprised at how Gaga's typically hammy and overtly sappy segments came off as more genuine and interesting in person. I really really was surprised about that. She pulled up this grateful gay who was grabbing at her shoulder the entire time in awe, and she had some respectful and kind words to say about some icons before her time (she mentioned Judy and Liza and Marilyn, which really amped up the older queens). Whether or not you really buy into the connection she feels towards her fans (some call it genuine, some call it pandering), being there in person showed me that even with all the obtuse statements, the connection is real. And that fact rings truer and louder than any hangups I may have about the cheesy message. She loves her fans, and they love her back, and it's really sweet to see.

I love when she ad libs in between songs because her dead-pan humor really appeals to me, and the on-stage quick change with Ratchet blasting into the arena really gave me life. She was giving us so much face, and yelled out "dance, queen, prance, queen!" at one of her dancers while he sashayed across the floor. Just all the little gay-camp Gaga moments I could have asked for were in there.

While I was really really looking forward to Gypsy as the big closer I felt like the show wrapped up rather abruptly. After Gypsy finished she was immediately lowered underneath the stage while declaring "thank you so much San Antonio!" and that was that. It reminded me of my struggles with the album itself, and how the entire ARTPOP experience feels like a rush from beginning to end, and the content while perfectly fine ends up suffering from it. Gypsy is definitely one of those songs that can benefit from getting more room to breathe, just like Teeth was practically a 10 minute set at the Monster Ball. Given how relatively short the songs on ARTPOP are the concert definitely felt like a mirror of that. I did love that there weren't long intermissions between costume changes, but otherwise I dunno. I suppose it's an accurate reflection of how people feel about the album itself. lol

All in all, I had the time of my life and I never thought a giant setting like this could feel like such an intimate experiene. At the end of the day the technical things like choreography or vocal pitch don't matter all that much if the atmosphere and production in the show aren't amped to 100. The staging was beautiful, the colors dynamic, the costumes funky and psychadelic, and her vocals were powerful and on point. She impressed the room with her vocal riffs during the acoustic portions, and I did feel like people were starving for more of that. It gives me hope that Cheek to Cheek will open new avenues for her, and I do think that this tour is an apt wrap-up for all the tropes she's embraced so far.

Songs that worked better live than in studio:

1) Donatella
2) ARTPOP
3) Swine

Songs that resonated the most with the audience:

1) Born This Way
2) G.U.Y.
3) Applause
4) Donatella
5) Do What U Want

Songs that resonated the least:

1) MANiCURE
2) Aura
3) Sexxx Dreams
4) Judas
5) Alejandro

Oh and as far as venue turnout, it definitely was not sold out. The earbleed section was completely filled, and almost all of the middle balcony was too. The lower balcony was 60% full, but it was the General Admission area that was surprisingly paltry. There was a looooot of floor I was seeing, and because of that there was a LOT of swarming toward different areas of the stage whenever Gaga would lean to interact with people. I definitely would have hated being down there especially if my friends and I would have to run around to catch more glimpses of Gaga.

Fellow Raepists, here's some good news!

Carly Rae has been working with Kool Kojak. Her urban era incoming?

Sample of his co-productions:

Brooke Candy - Bed Squeak
Nicki Minaj - Va Va Voom
Ke$ha - Blow
Flo Rida - Right Round
Omg I love Carly Rae!! <3 She's from where I live! Well about half an hour away, but still :3! Yaaaas!

Yay gaga!
Wahhh I'm so excited to see her! She's coming here on August 9th!! <3 I'm glad you enjoyed the concert! :3

The Flop

Banned
Hey y'all,

I Need your thoughts on this song:

http://youtu.be/R5U8_4y5lT4

I am here for the goosies and heartfelt emotions it gives me. It's so hauntingly beautiful.

I am here for them winning X Factor USA's final season and giving us the gift of their beautiful song.

Cryinggifs_07.gif

Grizzo

Really nice write-up Soulscribe! Glad you had fun! Did she end the show with Bad Romance? That would be the most logical thing to do, that song is so iconic.

Sounded like a good time. I don't like Gaga's output anymore, but I have to admit she's always entertaining when she's performing.

Although this...

There was a slight lull after that because she said something like "This show is for my fans, and because of that we're celebrating the latest album ARTPOP." While an obvious thing to say, the reaction in the arena was relatively tepid and the reason was also obvious. She then goes "if you haven't listened to ARTPOP, or don't want to, then grab a glowstick and get out." Less tepid response from the audience but the tone of it felt pretty defensive. It was made worse by transitioning immediately into MANiCURE, which I do think is one of her weakest songs conceptually. That part of the set felt like the worst possible way to sell this album, and the fact that it felt like she still had to SELL it in the first place was sort of awkward. It would have been okay if the song was made better in this setting but it really wasn't.

...made me cringe. Poor her.

mariah_awkward4pj34.gif

SaintZ

First, the opening numbers. Crayon Pop was getting sympathy cheers from the audience through most of their set, even though by the second half of their set most people were on their phones or going on a bathroom run. First of all, these bitches were wearing helmets and what looked like bike gear, and for no goddamn reason. I thought "oh wow, they must be gearing up for some intensive choreography." No bitch. They were like "OKAY HERE WE GO HERE'S THE NEXT SONG ARE YU READDDYY?? OKAY HERE IT GOES" and then it was some Spice Girls-grade nonsense. I was enjoying how shockingly uninspiring they were, and I was getting my life from some of their audience exchanges:

Crayon Pop: This last song was called [Korean], and the one before it was [Korean]. Which one did you like mooooore-u??
Audience: *silence*
Crayon Pop: OKAY

The whole thing felt like we were being distracted while someone robbed us but it was still a step-up from Lady Starlight, who is pretty much what you'd get if Waluigi shopped at Forever 21. She kind of just stood there and air punched invisible babies while looking really impressed with the two beats she pressed a button to create. She was like "can you believe this was made with real instruments?? I KNOW SHOCKER RIGHT" and I'm like "you're still pressing a button bitch, don't try it."
ahhrpqrg.gif
ahhrpqrg.gif
ahhrpqrg.gif

Glad to read you had a great time tho. Seeing your fave live is everything ;___;
Hey y'all,

I Need your thoughts on this song:

http://youtu.be/R5U8_4y5lT4

I am here for the goosies and heartfelt emotions it gives me. It's so hauntingly beautiful.

I am here for them winning X Factor USA's final season and giving us the gift of their beautiful song.
I'm totally indifferent to them but I liked this song. Alex sounds like Ryan Tedder tho.

Really nice write-up Soulscribe! Glad you had fun! Did she end the show with Bad Romance? That would be the most logical thing to do, that song is so iconic.

Sounded like a good time. I don't like Gaga's output anymore, but I have to admit she's always entertaining when she's performing.

Although this...

...made me cringe. Poor her.

Nah, it went 1) Bad Romance, 2) Applause, 3) Swine, 4) Gypsy. Gypsy should have been a great send-off but it did feel a little half-full. Honestly Applause would have been the best song to finish with since it ends the album, everyone knows it, and is on the album she's still trying to sell. lol

Yeah, honestly with the ARTPOP line most people around me were like "yaaaas tell them" and I think the sass came through for most, but it definitely wasn't unanimous..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom