• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Partition

Banned
Well, I guess that's one definition of "winning". Sure.

Always hate when pop stains try to argue that success is more important than talent or credibility
put_litter_in_its_place.png

Vazduh

This damn Becky G song is growing on me. Fuck!

I loved the island sound of You Don't Love Me too

I nearly forgot about this cover. Damn, Rih should rih-ly do more stuff in this vein.

Apparently Diplo produced Opulence (Sia mentioned him in a tweet about the song). The studio version sounds better that the live version. It's on Spotify already.

I'd never guess it was him who produced the song! Can't wait for the EP, simply to see what Sia did with Brooke's sound.

Sounds actually good. Disappointing I never heard of her.

If you liked those songs, give her first album a listen, Hyperventilating was the most popular single. Luckily in the end it all turned out well for Tami, she's managing Tessanne's career now. Speaking of Tessanne, I remember when I first heard her single "Hideaway", I was blown away by her voice, that woman deserves to be huge.

Mau ®;109107723 said:
More and more evidence is surfacing of Britney not singing much of anything on Britney Jean.

She was also accused of not singing half of Femme Fatale by the father of Myah Marie (a Britney sound-alike used on several of her recordings).

What is she good for?

Nostalgia and nothing more.

izBAvwn5HauXk.gif

Mau ®

KING DRAKE would not base two critically acclaimed albums on the BAJAN QUEEN only to cheat on her with a ba$ic on the early stages of their rihlationship.

Besides, he clearly is in a group context.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Mau ®;109122057 said:
KING DRAKE would not base two critically acclaimed albums on the BAJAN QUEEN only to cheat on her with a ba$ic on the early stages of their rihlationship.

Besides, he clearly is in a group context.

Orgy?
tumblr_inline_mu9jokXq4r1r1bjkw.gif

Wait... Michelle...
iVFJ2zOYmVbCh.gif

tumblr_inline_mu9jokXq4r1r1bjkw.gif

Vazra

Avril Lavigne 'Hello Kitty' Video Is An Embarrassment In Any Language
Why, Avril? Why?

"Hello Kitty" is the weakest song on Avril Lavigne's fifth studio album, a grating earworm that squeezes Gwen Stefani's Japan fetishization into an even more unseemly package. But in a lot of ways, its music video, which wormed its way onto YouTube on Tuesday (Apr. 22) and then was quickly taken down, is even a bigger train-wreck than the track itself. Click here to watch the gloriously ghastly video on Lavigne's web site.

Drag away

royalan

Do any of my PapGAF sistren listen to Daughter? I was recently introduced to her, and I use a bit.

She's like a mellower Florence Welch.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I liked Daughter's album well enough, although I haven't felt compelled to return to it in many months. However, KEXP insists on playing their vile cover of the equally vile "Get Lucky" with disturbing regularity.

Yado

Do any of my PapGAF sistren listen to Daughter? I was recently introduced to her, and I use a bit.

She's like a mellower Florence Welch.

Yasssssssssssss I love their music. Love, Medicine, Tomorrow...

iJZKbwEN5du5w.gif

My only gripe with them is that their demos sound way better than the final album tracks.

Vazra

The "Hello Kitty" video tries to do nothing. Its laziness is demonstrated in the first 21 seconds, during which Lavigne holds a plush stack of cupcakes, shakes her hips, stares at the cupcakes, bounces her shoulders, and then, when she sings the line "Someone chuck a cupcake at me"… tosses the fake cupcakes at the camera, her lip movement not matching up to the backing track whatsoever. Cool!

Billboard please take this approach more often.

royalan

I liked Daughter's album well enough, although I haven't felt compelled to return to it in many months. However, KEXP insists on playing their vile cover of the equally vile "Get Lucky" with disturbing regularity.

Yasssssssssssss I love their music. Love, Medicine, Tomorrow...

iJZKbwEN5du5w.gif

My only gripe with them is that their demos sound way better than the final album tracks.

Youth

Is there any song named youth that is bad?

Love is so beautiful, it just eclipses everything on their album. I don't think it's possible for them to top this song.

ipzrEhfjBHXuL.gif

I think I might stan. ;___;

So this Advil Lavigne nonsense makes a music video that looks like a schizophrenic WW2-era racist's worst nightmare, while she saunters through some froyo shops too distracted by the bigness of her non-prescription glasses to remember the words to her own goddamn song

What a fucking shart

Vazra

So this Advil Lavigne nonsense makes a music video that looks like a schizophrenic WW2-era racist's worst nightmare, while she saunters through some froyo shops too distracted by the bigness of her non-prescription glasses to remember the words to her own goddamn song

What a fucking shart

How lowly has Advil Vagine fallen tbh.

royalan

Ok...

WHAT is so wrong with the Avril video!?

WHEN did it become so offensive for someone to invoke imagery popular in other cultures in ANY context?

First the Sky Ferierra video, and now this.

When did the world become so goddamn sensitive over stupid shit???

Aguila

#ICONIC
Ok...

WHAT is so wrong with the Avril video!?

WHEN did it become so offensive for someone to invoke imagery popular in other cultures in ANY context?

First the Sky Ferierra video, and now this.

When did the world become so goddamn sensitive over stupid shit???

Right? Drag the world.

7qmo325.gif

I love fetishizing popular imagery. The key is to adopt it in a way that tailors to your own musical strengths, and not to just emulate a trend or style that's been done and polished for years on end for the sake of emulating. This song sounds shit compared to K- or J-pop songs that capture that sound, but besides that, the imagery she's attempting to live in works because it comes from an authentic place to J- or K-pop audiences. This isn't authentic in the least. It's a shart, like I said.

royalan

I love fetishizing popular imagery. The key is to adopt it in a way that tailors to your own musical strengths, and not to just emulate a trend or style that's been done and polished for years on end for the sake of emulating. This song sounds shit compared to K- or J-pop songs that capture that sound, but besides that, the imagery she's attempting to live in works because it comes from an authentic place to J- or K-pop audiences. This isn't authentic in the least. It's a shart, like I said.

I don't think the song is good, or the video. But I don't think that's enough to claim that Avril is being offensive.

I don't think the song is good, or the video. But I don't think that's enough to claim that Avril is being offensive.

It's like if an artist came around who has said vocally, multiple times, that she looks up to Christina Aguilera more than anyone else in music, and all her performances had her wringing her arm up and down while growling notes and trying to force a run and riff into every bar. She didn't do it well, and just sounded messy. Would you be a fan of hers just because she attempted to emulate a style, or would you, like me, be pressed that she's making a new audience of fans who think she's completely authentic and unique?

Bladenic

Hello Kitty is abhorrent sonically and visually.

At least she gave us this song last year

When it's you and me
We don't need no one to tell us who to be
We'll keep turning up the radio
What if you and I
Just put up a middle finger to the sky
Let 'em know that we're still rock 'n roll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom