• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one mentioned the Canadian singer Kiesza yet?

ZkQ6LpF.jpg

She just went straight to no.1 in the UK with her 90s house style song 'Hideaway' and its the third fastest selling single of 2014:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESXgJ9-H-2U

This is her cover of Haddaway's 'What Is Love'
http://www.idolator.com/7515322/kiesza-cover-haddaway-what-is-love-listen

Vazduh

ZkQ6LpF.jpg

She just went straight to no.1 in the UK with her 90s house style song 'Hideaway' and its the third fastest selling single of 2014:

I'm glad you posted the song! It took me a while to warm up to it, but I really like it now. Btw, I added it earlier today to Dr. Malik's Spotify playlist, reposting for those interested:

This is the POPGAF Spotify playlist (click the banner). It is a collaborative playlist so you are able to add your own music to the mix.

• Do not add music that is more than 6 months old
  • Do not add full albums just the good tracks...
This is to discover new music faster, easily be able to grab it and add it to your own playlist.
Let me know if it doesnt work and please contribute. Enjoy!

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I'm glad you posted the song! It took me a while to warm up to it, but I really like it now. Btw, I added it earlier today to Dr. Malik's Spotify playlist, reposting for those interested:

thanks for adding all those songs btw, currently going through them right now

Solo Dancing is a bop
tumblr_n13sm06xdt1r3fid5o5_250.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

ZkQ6LpF.jpg

This is her cover of Haddaway's 'What Is Love'
http://www.idolator.com/7515322/kiesza-cover-haddaway-what-is-love-listen

Canadian? Frm he glow of her skin I would have put money on her being Irish
Honestly the UK chart has been taken over by hews and whats recently. It's quite refreshing actually

Mr Probz - Waves is the current number one
Sigma - Nobody to Love hit number one a few weeks ago, which makes me absolutely Kiiiii considering its just a Kanye song thats had all Kanye's bits removed
Dj Cassidy - Calling All Hearts came in at #5 this week which has turned Jessie J and Robin Thicke into a spice girls esque bop

Then we have Cash Cash - Take Me Home, Shift K3y's Touch which peaked at #3 and Indiana - Solo Dancing is set to debut quite high this week too.

Honestly the UK music scene is far more exciting than anywhere else in the world imo. They're all good-great songs. Even the Robin Thicke track is decent

Nemesis_

I was about to tell you to calm yo'self, but if I paid what you did I'd expect a personal lapdance tbh
I have faith she will turn it out. Her performances are what attracted me to her in the first place and are the main reason she's still my grand maester fave. But I guess we shall see how her hip and her new art friends have changed her style

It's not so much that, it's just that I've felt her performances thus far have been.....off. I don't know how to explain it. It's just weird. She seems to fall short of the expectations she set for all her BTW and TFM era performances.

If I had paid for shit seats, I would still be "nervous". Gaga's touring and performances have been the things that really put her as one of my top faves, really. I mean I hated most of what Gaga did and sang before I saw her live at The Monster Ball - where a friend just dragged me to it and I tagged along
with bad intentions
but then I actually enjoyed everything and realised what a great touring act she was.

So basically, the magic and the charm that brought me to Gaga is in danger of fading - I am just not feeling it from her.

Actually, as a side note - I realised today that Gaga did her best when she was surrounded but fantastically creative people. Troy Carter, Ruth Hogben, Nick Knight, Matt Williams, Nicola Formichetti and, dare I say it, Laurie-Anne Gibson. I worry that she is just removing all those people from the equation in an effort t surround herself with yes men, but I'm diverting....

Basically I enjoy the music from ARTPOP, but like the music from Born This Way, an absolutely stellar treatment for those songs will cement my love for Gaga and what she does yet again. I need her to do for ARTPOP what she did for me with Born This Way as an album. That absolutely AMAZING performance of Highway Unicorn was perfect - it had a grand scale, a killer arrangement and a over the top showmanship to it. I just hope she has the budget to do more like that again.

It's also why I'm making an effort to attend more live acts this year than I ever have before. Last year I only saw Rihanna, Aqua, Kimbra, Azealia and AlunaGeorge. This year I've already lined up JT, Kanye, Ellie, Kimbra, Janelle Monae and Gaga. Tempted to go for Katy but she's too expensive for music that I don't really like.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I'm so glad the world is over Beyonce once again.

My spirit is whole once more.

OMG I know, right?
Now I just need Lana Del Ray to disappear and Artpop 2.0/Gaga's Ressurection for my own personal "wholeness". OH and Madonna's new album.

Honestly the UK chart has been taken over by hews and whats recently. It's quite refreshing actually

Sigma - Nobody to Love hit number one a few weeks ago, which makes me absolutely Kiiiii considering its just a Kanye song thats had all Kanye's bits removed
Dj Cassidy - Calling All Hearts came in at #5 this week which has turned Jessie J and Robin Thicke into a spice girls esque bop

Then we have Cash Cash - Take Me Home, Shift K3y's Touch which peaked at #3 and Indiana - Solo Dancing is set to debut quite high this week too.

Honestly the UK music scene is far more exciting than anywhere else in the world imo. They're all good-great songs. Even the Robin Thicke track is decent

Yup UK has been killing it. These are some of the top songs on Hypem and that's how I got hip to them. The song that is doing the most to me is definitely the Shift K3Y - Touch song. Omg!

The Oxford Remix of that song though? Righteous Tbh. So smooth, so hip, just total bop.

Vazduh

Btw, Aya, that NAVVI song you posted recently is amazing, I had it on repeat recently, and a lot of my friends loved it, too.

You should post more often :D

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
The

○ MUSIC ○ FASHION ○ DANCE ○ PARTY ○

of the decade is coming in less than two weeks.

Are you ready?

iMqDcRNhwhs80.gif

secretly nervous as fuck though

M expectations couldnt be any lower

12 days till I find out whether I should purchase a ticket

ifkvoxFG4IFJP.gif

Touchdown

Banned
ec20fb7f.gif
ec20fb7f.gif

Ri-Ri isn’t scared of Katy Perry’s roaring
Queen B’s going back to the drawing
Lorde smells blood, yeah, she’s about to slay you
Kid ain’t one to fuck with when she’s only on her debut

We’re all watching Gaga, L-O-L-O, haha
Dying for the art, so really she’s a martyr
The second best will never cut it for the divas
Give me that crown, bitch, I wanna be Sheezus

ec20fb7f.gif
ec20fb7f.gif

Lily Allen - Sheezus

JCX

"Lana Del Rey scores her best debut sales week yet with the arrival of "West Coast." It enters at No. 6 with 118,000 sold."

It sounds even better live. I wonder if ULTRAVIOLENCE will be more rock based, since she seemed to perform it better than some of the more produced-sounding tracks from BTD.

No joke, all those songs are essentially my go to playlist at the moment. Add in a little Clean Bandit which was also huge (and will probably be huge here as well) and like Disclosure, Rudimental, AlunaGeorge from last year.

I think in my mind, I like to pretend the US charts don't exist. UK charts are the only thing that matter.

It is kinda interesting though, how the tastes have sorta shifted again. UK seems to be adapting a love of all things 90's dance while here, we're kinda adapting a love of late 90's/early 00's R&B

cory64

Loyalsus entered the top 10
West Coast not in the top 10.

Sheezus sucks because it wants to be interpreted 3 ways at once and it's not particularly good at any of them

Vazduh

Confession time: that fucking Rita Ora song is growing on me.

B4Yo2L0.gif

I don't know how to feel about that. Pray for me, sistren.

Added a bunch of good music to the Spotify playlist

You added Pseudologia Fantastica and that Juce song *.* I like you.

I also added one of my recent faves: Galantis - You

This is really good, I like the cover! Those harmonies are nice.

I'm so glad the world is over Beyonce once again.

My spirit is whole once more.

Your spirit has a ways to go. Less and less people give a shit about her singles because they've already bought her album.

Trying to split hairs and set goal posts doesn't change the fact that Beyonce's in her own league. Two flop singles out of three means shit when you're Beyonce. People still adore her and will pay out their assholes to see her on tour. BEYONCE is still probably her most successful era, with or without radio.

Partition

Banned
Does radio support even matter when you sell as many albums as BEYONCÉ? The other girls should be envious of her success, while they discount their single and try to payola their way with birthday cakes to just get on the radio.

Partition

Banned
If people don't care about later singles for albums that sell well then why did Set Fire To The Rain smash?

Well Adele's album sold BECAUSE of her singles. Beyoncé is trying to make singles happen when everyone has the album.

That's not my point tho. Adele is obviously an anomaly and a powerhouse because she shipped a ton of albums and had all those #1s, but selling a ton of albums alone is a big achievement; way bigger than just getting a #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom