• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro pre-orders go live |OT|

I wish he had linked where that confirmation came from, I can't find anything officially from sony regarding that being the case and if you look at the pics of the slim and the Pro side by side it looks like the plates are different sizes.
Towards the bottom the headline reads Stock up on Faceplates now

dcx4610

Can you use the store credit towards PSN gift cards?
That's what I'm curious about. I think you for physical cards in store. You can't use your trade credit for digital currency like PSN digital codes. I just tried out of curiosity and it says you can't use gift cards or trade credit for digital currency.

demigod

The FOMO got me. I traded in my PS5 to Gamestop, got $385 but the allure of the "Add to Cart" being there and the fact that I didn't want to deal with GameStop trying to pre-order later next month, I just went with it. I guess I'll use the store credit for games and the disc drive.
Is the $385 with a Pro membership?

Towards the bottom the headline reads Stock up on Faceplates now
Thanks, I was talking about that "article" though, it just says sony confirmed it but there is no actual link showing where it was confirmed. I've read in several places they won't be compatible, again no confirmation there either. On the PlayStation blog where they talk about accessories being compatible they don't list the face plates but they list everything else. When you click the link to buy the plates in that headline it says "Compatible with PS5 Console (model group - slim)"

Last edited:

saintjules

Gold Member
Still up for pre-order. That can't be a good sign unless they are going to manufacture based on pre-orders. I grabbed one even though I probably have less than 20 hours on my PS5. That FOMO and new console appeal.

If you got one and saw what you like, it's a good sign.

Don't worry about the business man making money off us. So as long as we get what we wanted. They will recoup their loss.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
That's not how it works. You can't sell consoles at that price for mass adoption unless you're Nintendo. The Pro is pure profit. The PS6 will most likely just break even.
I’d like to bet you a fresh pair of socks that ps6 is going to be 700 or more base next gen. Zero chance we get a ps6 lower than a 700 ps5 with all the upgrades they are going to have to make to keep people buying consoles.

Switch 2 is going to 400-500 and I’d imagine switch 2 pled will be a premium as well. Days of 299 consoles are dead.

This is why I’m serious when I say cross gen will be even bigger next gen because people won’t just be impulse buying ps6 and Nextbox.

I’d be surprised if we see a 300 ps5 in a few years.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
If you got one and saw what you like, it's a good sign.

Don't worry about the business man making money off us. So as long as we get what we wanted. They will recoup their loss.

Yep. It's a premium product that brings the console space more in line with higher end NVIDIA PC GPUs in terms of features and performance. It's not a necessary upgrade for the vast majority of people, just like high end is not on the PC space either. But for enthusiasts that enjoy a console experience, it gives the next 4 years a lot more "future proofing" in terms of fidelity and performance as I suspect we will start seeing developers push the consoles more now that cross-gen is disappearing.

In terms of sales, it doesn't really matter. Sony isn't subsidizing the cost. They also aren't really taking an enormous profit either. It's a competitive product for what you are getting. It can do poorly at retail and still justify its existence - similar to PSVR2 since there's no loss leader approach as its not intended for a mass market consumer. This is a way for Sony to invest in technology at a pace that will also benefit PS6 development sooner, and benefit PS6 owners through PS5 Pro backwards compatibility. It is interesting though that Sony now has zero competition for a Pro console for the next few years, during a time when GTA6 will release. So that's why despite the higher price, PS5 Pro may maintain a decent amount of increasing interest, especially as these newer games showcase the true potential of the PS5 Pro instead of just being quick patches.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I’d like to bet you a fresh pair of socks that ps6 is going to be 700 or more base next gen. Zero chance we get a ps6 lower than a 700 ps5 with all the upgrades they are going to have to make to keep people buying consoles.

Switch 2 is going to 400-500 and I’d imagine switch 2 pled will be a premium as well. Days of 299 consoles are dead.

This is why I’m serious when I say cross gen will be even bigger next gen because people won’t just be impulse buying ps6 and Nextbox.

Yes, this is pretty much guaranteed that PS6 will be at least $699 when it launches. Inflation doesn't magically stop or go backwards. $499 in 2020 will be something closer to $699 in 2028.

And yes cross-gen will ABSOLUTELY be bigger next-gen than it was last-gen. Diminishing returns are real, and the audience for people gaming on current gen hardware is simply too big to pass up.

In fact, Sony is already confirmed to have a 2 SOC contract for PS6 - this hints at either a Series X approach or a Handheld approach (or both). I am really curious as to what major improvements next-gen can even bring. This gen we received a big upgrade to SSDs and CPUs. The gen before that we got sizable leaps for RAM and an APU to reduce cost. And the gen prior to that it was a more modernized GPU approach.

So for the PS6 generation, I suspect it really will come down mostly to modest rasterization improvements + more Ray Tracing + ML AI; really the PS5 Pro is probably a precursor into the roadmap of PS6 and what they will emphasize. Many people will wonder "where's the big leap compared to PS5 Pro?" when PS6 comes out, and that's just a consequence of silicon improving at a slower pace and running into cost/power constraints....we will just have to learn to adapt to this new reality until something radical changes the industry (either in terms of silicon improvements, or Cloud technology that can bring massively improved hardware to consumers that wouldn't be possible with a console)

demigod

You said $1000 and then $1200. So now why are you trying to argue with me about it being $700?

demigod

It was $410, then it dropped to $375 ($385 with Pro) and it's down to $330 now. I believe you get 20% more credit if you trade during Pro week but I bet they'll lower it even further before then.
When is Pro week and how much is membership?

CLW

Yes, this is pretty much guaranteed that PS6 will be at least $699 when it launches. Inflation doesn't magically stop or go backwards. $499 in 2020 will be something closer to $699 in 2028.

And yes cross-gen will ABSOLUTELY be bigger next-gen than it was last-gen. Diminishing returns are real, and the audience for people gaming on current gen hardware is simply too big to pass up.

In fact, Sony is already confirmed to have a 2 SOC contract for PS6 - this hints at either a Series X approach or a Handheld approach (or both). I am really curious as to what major improvements next-gen can even bring. This gen we received a big upgrade to SSDs and CPUs. The gen before that we got sizable leaps for RAM and an APU to reduce cost. And the gen prior to that it was a more modernized GPU approach.

So for the PS6 generation, I suspect it really will come down mostly to modest rasterization improvements + more Ray Tracing + ML AI; really the PS5 Pro is probably a precursor into the roadmap of PS6 and what they will emphasize. Many people will wonder "where's the big leap compared to PS5 Pro?" when PS6 comes out, and that's just a consequence of silicon improving at a slower pace and running into cost/power constraints....we will just have to learn to adapt to this new reality until something radical changes the industry (either in terms of silicon improvements, or Cloud technology that can bring massively improved hardware to consumers that wouldn't be possible with a console)
The Walking Dead Twd GIF

I have it on GOOD AUTHORITY from the EXPERTS in our government saying this inflation is TRANSITORY

Sushen

Pre ordered it first thing in the morning. Felt pretty good about it until I found out it’s not sold out 12 hours after the pre order started. It ain’t ps5 for sure. It’ll suck if it ends up being on sale come holiday season.

dmaul1114

Pre ordered it first thing in the morning. Felt pretty good about it until I found out it’s not sold out 12 hours after the pre order started. It ain’t ps5 for sure. It’ll suck if it ends up being on sale come holiday season.
No chance of a sale anytime soon. PS5 hasn’t gotten a price drop, Switch came out in 2017 and has gotten zero price drops. Consoles dropping in price during generation seems to mostly be a thing of the past for the ones selling well. Xbox Series X|S hasn’t gotten price drops, but has had some sales.

PS5 Pro was never going to be very hard to buy. PS4 Pro wasn’t either and ended up only accounting for 13% of PS4 console sales. These are niche items for us enthusiasts and there’s just not the demand/hype/fomo there is or new generation launches.

Geruda065

Still available for pre order in my country. I dont think its gonna go out anytime soon. Its official price is 920€.

Edit: For reference PS5 digital launch price was 450€.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

So you're mad they have plenty of stock? Lol wut. Just because it's available it's less appealing to you? That's sad

I canceled my order cause it was available still at 11am. Better luck next time, Sorny.

I'm fucking kidding lol. Psyched about my order. Gonna play Demon's Souls again lol. I'm just preparing for GTA6 at its best tbh. I didn't want to have any possibility of shortages close to when the game was coming out so I pulled the trigger today.

Last edited:

dcx4610

When is Pro week and how much is membership?
$25 a year. I think Pro Week is going on now. It's random throughout the year. I'm not a big Gamestop guy. There's not a huge benefit to Pro. I only signed because it worked out to more trade than what I paid for Pro. It's basically just a $5 coupon every month and percentage off certain stuff.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They are still not sold out?!
I mean, all the better for me, I can just wait and check out the impressions once it comes out knowing that it won't be hard to find one if I'm even interested in purchasing it.

Truth is Death Stranding 2 will probably be the game that pushes me.

Remember the death stranding limited edition pro?

That's my new tactic. I have 0 need for this right now and not until ghost of yotei or DS2. Crossing my fingers for a dope Ltd edition.

Plus I'm still convinced Sony will change course on pricing or bundle it with retailers. This thing is readily available a full day after pre orders. I feel it's not going to reach the same amount of sales as the ps4 pro at this price.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Plus I'm still convinced Sony will change course on pricing or bundle it with retailers. This thing is readily available a full day after pre orders. I feel it's not going to reach the same amount of sales as the ps4 pro at this price.

PS4 pro was available from day 1 without supply issues

You're not getting a price cut. PS5 may not ever get a price cut given how things are

Sony will simply stop making as many Pros if it’s not selling as quickly as expected, but it’s going to do just fine since it has zero competition

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
PS4 pro was available from day 1 without supply issues

You're not getting a price cut. PS5 may not ever get a price cut given how things are

Sony will simply stop making as many Pros if it’s not selling as quickly as expected, but it’s going to do just fine since it has zero competition

There is a chance it doesn't do just fine. This pricing is very close to fuck that territory and when we talk about enthusiasts with little care about money the tam shrinks. Also, enthusiasts like real hardcore enthusiasts are running 5k pc rigs on 80 inch tvs etc. So I don't think this performs as well as ps4 pro at all. It's twice the cost.

Also, retailers can't have aged stock. They are free to sell at what they want. If this thing proves to be sticky on shelves we will see crazy bundles. I promise the uk is wild for that stuff. It will go on sale or be bundles with disk drive etc if there ends up being an abundance of stock.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
There is a chance it doesn't do just fine. This pricing is very close to fuck that territory and when we talk about enthusiasts with little care about money the tam shrinks. Also, enthusiasts like real hardcore enthusiasts are running 5k pc rigs on 80 inch tvs etc. So I don't think this performs as well as ps4 pro at all. It's twice the cost.

Also, retailers can't have aged stock. They are free to sell at what they want. If this thing proves to be sticky on shelves we will see crazy bundles. I promise the uk is wild for that stuff. It will go on sale or be bundles with disk drive etc if there ends up being an abundance of stock.

what is “not doing just fine”? Selling 5% instead of 10%?

It’s a niche product, like Pro, for enthusiasts. There are more enthusiasts for a $700 console than there are for a $1500+PC, so that argument is bogus

Retailers absolutely can hold “aged stock” and Sony can simply not sell them anymore

Bottom line is you’re not getting a discount. PSVR2 bombed way worse and has not received a reduction

akira__

Banned
Be aware if you bought the anniversary edition the release date is 2 weeks after the pro release. 7 november is the release but it's 21 november for the anniversary edition.

Was it really just made for scalpers?

rkofan87

Gold Member
Looks like everyone will have an opportunity to pick one up without paying scalpers rates, still available on PS direct 10 hours after launch in US.
it makes me wonder what it is going be like for the fans who just a non le pro will amazon and others be as easy as ps direct is right now its 2 in morning hear and its still in stock its just nuts.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
what is “not doing just fine”? Selling 5% instead of 10%?

It’s a niche product, like Pro, for enthusiasts. There are more enthusiasts for a $700 console than there are for a $1500+PC, so that argument is bogus

Retailers absolutely can hold “aged stock” and Sony can simply not sell them anymore

Bottom line is you’re not getting a discount. PSVR2 bombed way worse and has not received a reduction

I'm not saying you were like this, but there were plenty of posts saying "everyone complaining at the price and it will sell out in minutes". That has not happened at all, it is still available in the UK. If it sells 5% of the PS5 number, do you consider that a success for Sony? Will developers support it properly?

Also, I can't comment for other parts of the world but retailers absolutely CAN NOT sit on aged stock in the UK. Why do you think the PSVR2 fire sale happened?

In the UK most distributors work to 90 day aged. If you hit 90 Days on your stock that is held at a Disti, you better start looking at SOA (Sales out allowance) to clear that stock, or you risk the disti, company pulling out the SOR ( sale or return) terms and the system goes back to the manufacturer/supplier. No one wants that as its double shipping losses / costs and doesn't go on anyone's number for revenue and sales. So the number one route is to support the product with discounts to clear it, then you can purchase new stock and the cycle repeats.

Let's see how this plays out, but the narrative is deffo changing from "This will sell out in minutes, better queue up for your pre order" to "This will be readily available its a niche product"

Last edited:

akira__

Banned
I'm not saying you were like this, but there were plenty of posts saying "everyone complaining at the price and it will sell out in minutes". That has not happened at all, it is still available in the UK. If it sells 5% of the PS5 number, do you consider that a success for Sony? Will developers support it properly?

Also, I can't comment for other parts of the world but retailers absolutely CAN NOT sit on aged stock in the UK. Why do you think the PSVR2 fire sale happened?

In the UK most distributors work to 90 day aged. If you hit 90 Days on your stock that is held at a Disti, you better start looking at SOA (Sales out allowance) to clear that stock, or you risk the disti, company pulling out the SOR ( sale or return) terms and the system goes back to the manufacturer/supplier. No one wants that as its double shipping losses / costs and doesn't go on anyone's number for revenue and sales. So the number one route is to support the product with discounts to clear it, then you can purchase new stock and the cycle repeats.

Let's see how this plays out, but the narrative is deffo changing from "This will sell out in minutes, better queue up for your pre order" to "This will be readily available its a niche product"

Oh no, not the "online narrative."
PlayStation has always had a negative "online narrative."
And Xbox has always had a positive "online narrative."

How it's currently being played out is that those spreading and creating negative "online narratives" pre-ordered that same console.

It also seems you have tremendous knowledge about how to sell consoles in stores. That the PS5 Pro is currently only available online on their own website seems to have eluded you.

Did you purposefully withhold your important console sale knowledge when it comes to Xbox? /s

The day one edition of xbox certainly could have used your help.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

How it's currently being played out is that those spreading and creating negative "online narratives" pre-ordered that same console.

It also seems you have tremendous knowledge about how to sell consoles in stores. That the PS5 Pro is currently only available online on their own website seems to have eluded you.

Did you purposefully withhold your important console sale knowledge when it comes to Xbox? /s

The day one edition of xbox certainly could have used your help.

What has any of this got to do with Xbox. You have lost the plot, bud.

I don't even know what you are trying to defend here.

Who's ALT are you?

Last edited:

akira__

Banned
What has any of this got to do with Xbox. You have lost the plot, bud.

I don't even know what you are trying to defend here.

Who's ALT are you?
We are in a preorder thread for the PS5 Pro, and you just preordered one.
Then you turn around and tell us the end is nigh for PlayStation.

But I lost the plot.

Your allegiance to a certain brand is well known.

Let's enjoy this small moment, we preordered the machine. Come 7 november we can enjoy it. It's going to be great. And we can discuss that playstation sucks another time.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
We are in a preorder thread for the PS5 Pro, and you just preordered one.
Then you turn around and tell us the end is nigh for PlayStation.

But I lost the plot.

Your allegiance to a certain brand is well known.

I didn't pre order one. I have expressed that I am not in a rush to buy a standard one and think it is too expensive. I wanted the 30th An. edition and didnt nab one. Happy to wait.

I own shit loads of Playstation stuff. Still have my PS1 the OG with audio Phono's out. Have generations of Playstation stuff. I'm just not a fan of Jim Ryans playstation and that is what you all try to crucify me for. Like your allegiance isn't equally, and even more extreme. You're going on huge rants about Phil Spencer and Xbox in every thread possible like they touched you....

Now you are derailing this thread, which is about PS5 pre orders. Which I commented on.

Last edited:

akira__

Banned
I didn't pre order one. I have expressed that I am not in a rush to buy a standard one and think it is too expensive. I wanted the 30th An. edition and didnt nab one. Happy to wait.

I own shit loads of Playstation stuff. Still have my PS1 the OG with audio Phono's out. Have generations of Playstation stuff. I'm just not a fan of Jim Ryans playstation and that is what you all try to crucify me for. Like your allegiance isn't equally, and even more extreme. You're going on huge rants about Phil Spencer and Xbox in every thread possible like they touched you....

Now you are derailing this thread, which is about PS5 pre orders. Which I commented on.

> I didn't pre order one
Missed that, carry on then.

I'm also not a fan on ps5 current direction. Let's agree on that.

The Phillness won so many awards while actively destroying the industry.

Way back he led my favorite studio Rare after the acquisition, We went from donkey Kong and perfect dark to complete ruin. Since then it only got worse. He is a master politician that gets payed millions each year, he'll be alright.

I don't have a allegiance with Playstation, but if you know alternatives I'm open to suggestions.

But what is pissing me off is the constant negative Playstation stupid narratives that are prevelant in the media and online. The purple forum, youtube, the twitter stooges, are completely full with those narratives. so you might think that's pro Playstation but it's anti bullshit narratives.

Let's enjoy the moment of the ps5 pro thread, we did it, we got one.

Last edited:

Brucey

I saw plenty of posts referring to a very quick sell out of the limited to 12,300 units anniversary pro bundle. Which did happen. But that's far different from suggesting the standard pro may sell out, because supply is far higher for that.

Looks like plenty of devs including 3rd party are supporting the Pro with a current install base of 0 units. Developers would be crazy not to support it because their competition will be.

Brucey

Microsoft were the pioneers of astroturfing/"reputation management"/evangelism..

Often the online vibe is far removed from actual reality.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Microsoft were the pioneers of astroturfing/"reputation management"/evangelism..

Often the online vibe is far removed from actual reality.

Derail Successful. You do know Sony has been caught Astro turfing as well? Years ago. Many moons. It could be as long ago as MS. Look it up :)

akira__

Banned
Last edited:

Neofire

Anywhere else to buy the 30th Anniversary Edition portal besides the direct or do we have to wait til the 10th for major retailers?

akira__

Banned
Anywhere else to buy the 30th Anniversary Edition portal besides the direct or do we have to wait til the 10th for major retailers?
The anniversary edition will have another round maybe. This source says 10 October.

Roufianos

So who is going to make quality faceplates that are anniversary gray? Someone is going to do it.

Can already get them for the standard PS5, I'm sure loads of companies will make them for the pro once it releases.

Sony aren't going to over produce the Pro. They do their own market analysis, they already have estimates of how many Pro they sell at a given price

DeepSpace5D

Congrats to everyone that secured a Pro. I’m holding off for now and will most likely wait until 2025 to get one.

But it is mighty tempting to hit that preorder button on PlayStation Direct. I logged in just now to see if they were still available to order and it looked like they are.

Top Bottom