• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

There isn't going to be any major differences that would stop PSSR from running on PC, which is why I believe PSSR is just Sony rebranding FSR on PlayStation.

Sony collaborated with AMD to make the PS4, PS4 Pro and PS5, they'll collaborate again for the PS5 Pro and PS6.
I am very disppointed here Loxus. No point of arguing with you if you really believe that after all the data we got and after 59 pages of this thread. About this and the "Sony consoles are not custom" odd claims of yours, I'll just say pay attention to what Fafalada patiently replies to you in this thread. He is (or was) an actual developer.

Last edited:

Loxus

I am very disppointed here Loxus. No point of arguing with you if you really believe that after all the data we got and after 59 pages of this thread. About this and the "Sony consoles are not custom" odd claims of yours, I'll just say pay attention to what Fafalada patiently replies to you in this thread. He is (or was) an actual developer.
All I was trying to say is that the leak document is full of inconsistencies. I wasn't even saying the PS5 Pro isn't real or it'll be underpowered. But some here got in their feelings.

This is another example of inconsistency.
eH83Zwh.jpeg

Here we see it says the PS5 Pro runs at a higher clock speed over PS5.

So, automatically one would realize both the 2.18 GHz and 33.5/67 TF aren't correct if using 60 active CUs.

Then it says the Tempest Engine has 35% more performance.

Here it states.
PlayStation 5 uncovered: the Mark Cerny tech deep dive
The Tempest engine itself is, as Cerny explained in his presentation, a revamped AMD compute unit, which runs at the GPU's frequency and delivers 64 flops per cycle. Peak performance from the engine is therefore in the region of 100 gigaflops, in the ballpark of the entire eight-core Jaguar CPU cluster used in PlayStation 4. While based on GPU architecture, utilisation is very, very different.

2.23 GHz × 64 = 142.72 GFlops
142.72 + 35% = 192.67 GFlops if we follow Tom Henderson report.

In Road to PS5, Mark Cerny states, utilisation is near 100%, so performance should be linear with clock speed increase.
"The goal being to make possible near 100% utilization of the CUs vector units.
Where we ended up is a unit with roughly the same SIMD power and bandwidth as all 8 Jaguar cores in the PlayStation 4 combined."

To find the clock increase.
192.67 ÷ 64 = 3.010 GHz

Before anyone talk about decoupled clocks. The 7900XTX uses the highest clock for it TF number.
pxvaOGa.png

1qtPSww.jpeg

96CUs × 4 SIMD32 × 32 × 2 × 2.5 GHz = 61.44 TF

You really think the PS5 Pro is running at 3.010 GHz?

Last edited:

Loxus

Unlike in PC, in PS5 the GPU is part of a custom APU, isn't a separate thing. It features multiple customizations, some of them related to the GPU.

As an example, the unique way it increases or decreases the CPU/GPU clock depending on the workload is completely different to how it works in PC.

Another very different thing is the I/O management (which also affects to how GPU works):

As can be seen there, the I/O unit is inside the APU, like the GPU and the CPU and works very differently to how the PC equivalent would work.

In this case, it handles the load from the SSD, decompresses the data, which is compressed in the SSD with Kraken doing the 'secret sauce' with a dedicated chip unit inside the APU and handles the shared memory (GPU+CPU) pool while also performing the memory allocation and management between SSD/memory/CPU/GPU in a more efficient way than the traditional PC one breaking multiple traditional bottlenecks.

This helps to bump the speed of the data streaming from the SSD, from the 5GBPS raw speed of the SSD to up to 22GBPS depending on data type (devs said Cerny they wanted at least 1GBPS). Extra speed and memory management more optimized for gaming helps it to make a better usage of the GPU and CPU resources reaching a bigger percent of its theorical limits than let's say Xbox or the PC "equivalent".

Here Cerny explains part of it:

These two customizations (boost type and specially how it handles the I/O) are the main reason of why PS5 performs the same or better than supposedly superior GPUs as it is the Series X.
image.png

Other GPU customizations were the Geometry Engine (handles certain 3D related stuff to optimize some common tasks, and also implements primitive shaders) and the Intersection Engine (used for multiple RT usages or 3D audio).

I'm only talking about the GPU, since it says in the leak document the ML capabilities are from the GPU.

All the parts you mentioned about the GPU customizations are still provided by AMD.

The customizations are tweaks of AMD hardware. It isn't any on the level of the IO Complex. Even the custom Tempest Engine in the PS5 is from AMD hardware.

So when you look at the leak document and see custom architecture for machine learning of the GPU. They're talking about tweaks to hardware and who makes the GPU hardware? AMD.

Three

Sony is proving a point once again. Computing can be different and work better in certain ways. Instead of DirectX, they use custom created graphics from there own made graphics engine. Vulture or something like that I read a while ago. PS5 Pro with 33.5 teraflops was leaked from a youtube guy who's video got copyrighted from Sony so he had no choice but to take it down to avoid a lawsuit of copyright. I will for sure buy the PS5 Pro when it comes out. Microsoft isn't even making an upgrade this time. So Sony has no competition other than PC gaming of course.
I think you're thinking of Vulkan, that's an AMD thing that works on PS. Playstations own graphics APIs are GNM or GNMX.

yurinka

I'm only talking about the GPU, since it says in the leak document the ML capabilities are from the GPU.

All the parts you mentioned about the GPU customizations are still provided by AMD.
Yes, Sony/Cerny tells AMD the customizations and specs they want and AMD manufactures it.

I assume that for PS6, and maybe in a smaller scale in PS5 Pro, they'll have custom APU with the somewhat latest RDNA and Zen family fine tuned to specially bump compared to base PS5:
  • Considerable improvement in RT to become an standard the replacement of traditional lighting/shadowing/reflection tricks for proper RTGI
  • ML stuff to primarly reconstruct upscaled images and insert frames but also for other things like to improve video/streaming reproduction, procedural generation of in-game stuff like maybe to provide extra detail to models or textures
  • Even faster SSD to further reduce loading times and increase detail and world density
The customizations are tweaks of AMD hardware. It isn't any on the level of the IO Complex. Even the custom Tempest Engine in the PS5 is from AMD hardware.

So when you look at the leak document and see custom architecture for machine learning of the GPU. They're talking about tweaks to hardware and who makes the GPU hardware? AMD.
The IO is completely different than anything was ever available in PC. PCs don't have shared memory pool, chip to automatically decompress the data in the SSD or disc without needing to use CPU/GPU/memory resources on it and related memory management.

The way its power management/boost work is also completely different to anything that was ever available in normal PCs, laptops, tablets or smartphones.

These changes and innovations were designed by Sony/Cerny and manufactured by AMD. And they aren't "just tweaks": they are a big paradigm shift on how the stuff works even if it uses as a base AMD's RDNA and Zen.

Regarding supposedly leaked information, it can be fake, incomplete, wrong, misunderstood or outdated stuff. Remember the "Switch Pro" drama, I prefer to wait until specs get officially confirmed.

I assume they may have a first step with ML in PS5 Pro, but I expect them to have a full leap here in PS6.

Last edited:

yurinka

96CUs × 4 SIMD32 × 32 × 2 × 2.5 GHz = 61.44 TF

PS5 Pro won't feature a $750-$100 GPU similar to something like a 7900 XTX, let's be realistic.

They have to keep the console price at let's say around maximum $599-$699 and doing so without losing a lot of money per unit.

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
All the PC Elites that are talking crap better save up for your next graphics card 😂😂
Don't need to. I have more performance than PS5 Pro since last year in my last upgrade. My next upgrade will be even faster.

PS5 Pro sounds like it will be lucky to be on par with high GPUs from 2020 (four years ago).

PaintTinJr

They take quite a bit of space and are intended mainly for increased battery life on smartphones, tablets and laptops by using a fixed function block for AI tasks leaving the GPU/CPU mostly idle for said tasks.
If the task at hand (gaming) already heavily uses GPU theres nothing gained by going with a separate NPU design for said task instead of just adding AI units to the GPU that will produce more TOPs per die space invested
Interesting that you mention battery life because with the consoles working on fixed power limit, depending on if it is a PS3 launch/PS4 Pro 3 sock lead (350watt limit?) or PS5/PS4/PS2/PS1 launch two socket power cord (250watt limit?) I could see power efficiency considerations for an expected always-on PSSR upscaling tipping the balance towards some of those TOPs being for a co-processor NPU just for the PSSR - even if that is at odds with AMDs and PlayStation's general purpose GPU philosophy of making most of the silicon flexible to be capable of being purposed at all times by work.

The io complex deterministic priorities would certainly make it easier and possibly even a way to save on GPU bandwidth utilisation if some of the AI tops were on an NPU.

vivftp

Yes, I think that out of the three categories Astro fits more into "experimental", which they mentioned as:
-Showcase innovation, unlock new audiences, target new genres
-High potential games, with discipline on scope and budget

I don't see them confident with it to consider it tentpole and I assume, it had a relatively low budget and I assume they don't aim for huge sales. I see it as something to research new usages of the DualSense and also trying to have another platformer series with hopefully around 5M+ sales, in the level of Ratchet or a bit above it.

Definetively I don't think they see it as the SP AAA game that sells 15M+ units. And yes, this year as a whole, not only in holidays season, as usual they'll have many tentpole SP games from both 1st and 3rd party, plus now also "transformational" MP/GaaS bangers not only in 3rd party, but also in 1st party.

It's got the potential to reach tentpole status, I'd say. No one would have called Helldivers 2 being a tentpole title before launch, but it is without a doubt one now post-launch.

Of course they consider it a live service because it's a live service. They consider it both a live service and single player, a "multi-genre".

image.png

The thing is that in a table where they had in a column a few games that were MP GaaS and in other column a few games that were only SP non-GaaS there wasn't a place for it, it made more sense to include other examples that represented better each column.

It doesn't make sense to think that at all the many GaaS that weren't in the old slides aren't considered GaaS by Sony. In the same way that doesn't make sense to think that all the many non-GaaS SP games that weren't on that slide aren't considered SP game by Sony. That would be non-sensical. They were obviously just slides with a few examples, not an exhaustive list of all the IPs they had inside each group.

Yup, I was referencing the older slides SIE had posted when discussing the live service initiative that conspicuously left GT7 off of them. I would personally consider it a live service, but them leaving it off did raise some eyebrows at the time. At the very least some sort of hybrid between live service and single player, which is where the multi-genre description could come into play.

Yes, there's also people who says that the earth is flat. I give them both 0% credibility. What it would make sense would be to make a PC handheld to run their PC games (which would include many of their PS4 and PS5 games).

It remains to be seen if the handheld rumor is true or not, but I can safely say that I can't see them doing a PC handheld as you propose. There would be nothing in it for them as such a device would not doubt either be sold at low margins or possibly at a loss initially, and the only possible revenue they'd make are from folks who happen to buy SIE published content via one of the PC store fronts. That's peanuts, and wouldn't be worth all the trouble.

The only way such a device makes any sort of sense is if PSN is on it and it plays games sold on the PlayStation Store. That way they can tap into the market who desires a portable while letting those folks play their PS digital games on the go and buying mtx from PSN. Now if this rumored device actually does end up being real then we'll have to see what exactly it can run. Playing the PS4 library would be a nice start, but ideally it should be able to play select PS5 games that're ported/patched/magic'd over. No way in hell it'd be able to play the entire PS5 library of course, but it can also fall back on remote play and cloud streaming to help a bit there.

No, in the "we believe in generations" interview (as I remember from a few months after release) Jim Ryan said they were going to continue supporting PS4 during several years.

It doesn't make sense to spend a budget of multiple hundreds of millions in games published only on a console with a few millions of userbase. In fact, AAA games being published these years took around 5-9 years to be developed. Meaning, many of them started as PS4 only games because during its first years didn't have access and didn't even know what technology was going to have the PS5 because still didn't exist. And later down the road they made an improved version for PS5.

Sony always supports their consoles for about a decade or so, so that's not really new. With a few exceptions their plan initially was to have cross-gen games launch up to 2021 and that was about it - those exceptions being games like MLB, supporting Destiny 2 and things like that. How do we know? Because GT7, Horizon FW and GoW Ragnarok were all originally supposed to be 2021 titles and there were no other major cross-gen titles afterwards because we haven't seen a single one since those games released. If the intention

Cross-gen (for the most part) was only really supposed to last 1 year for this gen as far as first party content was concerned. I'm expecting pretty much the same next gen, but the live service games will no doubt be the major exceptions there that could go well beyond the 1 year mark.

Absolutely never anyone from Sony or Bluepoint ever said that they are leading their own new game after Demon's Souls.

They always said -including this guy you mention- to be working (never said leading) on 'original content', an 'original game' or 'original title'. Same words they were using when all their entire team was working on GoWR. Being as Sony called them, a "partner" (support) studio.

Here we disagree. No one would use the term "leading" in such a context in a tweet, that would be an unusual way to phrase such a statement. Bluepoint says they're working on an original title, so taking it at face value is the safest bet. Whether that's a remaster, a remake, a reimagining or an entirely original game is yet to be seen.

vivftp

Bend Studio's game is a live-service, that being why they were in the "evolving" category in Sony's latest overview of their first-party studios from their IR Day presentation.

We shall see, it could be or it could be some form of hybrid. I don't believe we have sufficient info to know at this point.

Matter was cancelled in late 2020 and a project that emerged from its ashes was then again cancelled in 2022, as reported by IGN.

IGN doesn't seem to cite the source for that particular part of their article, but IIRC when all of that began the source most were quoting was streamer Aztecross. If they are just referencing him as a source then I'd be iffy about that. If it was someone else more reliable though, then so be it.

Shinobi602 already made it clear back in February that Ballistic Moon's other game wasn't Until Dawn 2, which is without a doubt Firesprite's dark narrative adventure game, no need to "wait and see" anything:
  • Project Heartbreak is a cinematic singleplayer narrative adventure horror game.
  • Reportedly set on an island during contemporary times.
  • With a writers team composed of Telltale talent.
  • Based on an existing Sony property.
  • Sony is already bringing back and supporting the Until Dawn IP with both an expanded remake and a movie adaptation.
And they don't have any other project in the works at Firesprite. Following the cancellation of Twisted Metal earlier in the year - which was a project that collapsed due to severe studio mismanagement, lack of direction and of the manpower required to pull it off after about a hundred people departed the studio within the project's last year - and the layoffs that resulted from Sony getting rid of what remained of that team and the VR guys, Firesprite now finds themselves with just enough staff to deliver on Project Heartbreak and nothing else.

Cool :)

bitbydeath

Probably old news as I don’t keep up but it looks like the OG article was removed. Not sure if that means the listed specs were debunked or if the site just broke?

Last edited:

SonGoku

You are wrong here. FSR is not AI-based reconstruction. So this is only true if you believe sony is not doing AI-based reconstruction.
I think what he is saying is that based on their collaboration with Sony, AMD will add those features to a later version of FSR making both solutions near identical.
To give a bad analogy Sony was first to use RPM on PS4Pro and was later seen on Vega product months after the fact
Sony is rebranding what already runs on PS5?!? It makes little sense unless we are talking about a revamped FSR 4.0 that Sony is co-developing with AMD that does close the gap with DLSS and is AI based.
I think this is the most likely scenario unless AMD is being stubborn about not using AI with FSR
Interesting that you mention battery life because with the consoles working on fixed power limit, depending on if it is a PS3 launch/PS4 Pro 3 sock lead (350watt limit?) or PS5/PS4/PS2/PS1 launch two socket power cord (250watt limit?) I could see power efficiency considerations for an expected always-on PSSR upscaling tipping the balance towards some of those TOPs being for a co-processor NPU just for the PSSR - even if that is at odds with AMDs and PlayStation's general purpose GPU philosophy of making most of the silicon flexible to be capable of being purposed at all times by work.

The io complex deterministic priorities would certainly make it easier and possibly even a way to save on GPU bandwidth utilisation if some of the AI tops were on an NPU.
I thought of this but the reason i do not consider practical is because the power savings come from the fact CPU/GPU are mostly idle on laptops/smartphones during said hypothetical AI tasks. But during gaming both GPU & CPU are already on full blast so it makes more sense to just add AI units to the GPU than a separate block.

With the die space saved they could add wider memory bus if bandwidth was a concern

Last edited:

vivftp

Off-topic, but what's up with this?
Also, good job on the list, but it would be better if you didn't include the third-party published games, it just makes the discussion more convoluted.

The list includes speculated projects. The Ember Lab folks were quite chummy with PlayStation after the launch of the game and in at least one statement some folks thought they could be referring to their next game taking advantage of the PS5 SSD:

but what they’ve learned for when it comes time to make their next title. “Our groundwork was on the PS4,” says Josh Grier. “But looking at game two, focusing on taking advantage of the SSD and building mechanics and tools around that, will be really fun. I know for sure we haven't fully taken advantage of how actually fast it is—we were getting a lot of benefits of it being just out-of-the-box better. But I think you can push it even more.”

It's by no means solid and they could just be talking about SSDs in general as opposed to HDDs, but the use of "the SSD" can be interpreted to be talking about a singular one rather than just SSDs in general. Like I said, by no means definitive and it is speculative, but I think it's likely. Sony's all about building relationships and it looks like they've built a bit of a relationship with the Ember Lab folks. I think an XDEV game could be in the works.

As for the overall list, thanks :) It's meant to illustrate all the console exclusives I picture coming to PS consoles over the next 5.5 years. Even if it's not SIE published, SIE still puts in work and funding to secure a lot of games on their platform. Examples would be Silent Hill 2, or the China Hero project games they're publishing, or the India Hero Project games that're releasing on PlayStation. Or there're some third party exclusives that just seem to be default to PlayStation console, even if no official deal seems to be in place - one example would be Project Awakening which was only ever announced for PlayStation and the studios last game only released on PlayStation as far as consoles are concerned.

Now of course folks can then take the list and break it up as they see fit. There're tons of SIE published games listed. Either way, I still think it's definitely on the lower end of the spectrum, both for first party releases and third party games. It doesn't include much about VR games, expansions (many SIE tentpole games have expansions around the 1 year mark), other publishing deals (ie. Stellar Blade or Rise of the Ronin...), and all the studios Sony could be working with that we just have no clue about at this point in time.

Probably old news as I don’t keep up but it looks like the OG article was removed. Not sure if that means the listed specs were debunked or if the site just broke?

Sony issued takedown notices on some of the original leaks, so it might have something to do with that. The info's still good though.

Last edited:
I really don't know. But I believe this time Cerny will use the concept of dynamic clocks even further and allow some specific modes with higher clocks and likely some parts of the GPU running at different speeds (which is already the case in some GPUs). Second this is a highly customized APU we have here. Wether you want it or not; from PS4, PS4 Pro and PS5 Cerny has increased the number of customizations on those consoles. Remember that Sony is not disclosing all their customizations on their hardware, they don't use that in their PR, the way MS does, and they usually want to hide that behind NDAs. Some custom GPU units exclusive to PS4 Pro and PS5 have still not been disclosed officially for instance. Logically PS5 Pro should be even more customized.

Finally the leaked documents are not for PR purpose. This is not some flexing from Cerny here. This is a document to be used by seasoned developers to make their games and should be believed the way a developer would believe them. This is not a PR spin.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
People always tend to forget the then Playstation Andrew House stated

"I saw some data that really influenced me, It suggested that there's a dip mid-console lifecycle where the players who want the very best graphical experience will start to migrate to PC, because that's obviously where it's to be had. We wanted to keep those people within our ecosystem by giving them the very best and very highest [performance quality]. So the net result of those thoughts was PlayStation 4 Pro--and, by and large, a graphical approach to game improvement."

Sony made the PS4 Pro to keep people in their ecosystem, that's it.
Now they're porting their games to PC which makes a PS5 Pro redundant

PaintTinJr

I thought of this but the reason i do not consider practical is because the power savings come from the fact CPU/GPU are mostly idle on laptops/smartphones during said hypothetical AI tasks. But during gaming both GPU & CPU are already on full blast so it makes more sense to just add AI units to the GPU than a separate block.

With the die space saved they could add wider memory bus if bandwidth was a concern
The PSSR when always on is effectively an ASIC feature - running on async compute - so it just becomes an annoying workload to schedule in amongst the actual dynamic GPU game code IMO, eating cache bandwidth that could be freed-up and added to performance by having dedicated caches inside an NPU specifically to handle the PSSR workload.

Assuming it was actually possible to redirect framebuffer data to do the PSSR on a co-processor NPU the energy savings could actually be much bigger because textbook-formula-wise parallel compute is optimal around the 1.2Ghz clock frequency, so rather than wasting energy on a small number of CUs clocking north of 2.2Ghz, you could instead make a proportionally much larger NPU co-processor for the TOPS needed for PSSR and clock it at 1.2GHz letting it run reliably cool with maximum energy efficiency, freeing up workload contention on the GPU too.

Last edited:

dano1

A Sheep
Don't need to. I have more performance than PS5 Pro since last year in my last upgrade. My next upgrade will be even faster.

PS5 Pro sounds like it will be lucky to be on par with high GPUs from 2020 (four years ago).
Well you obviously spent over 2k or you wouldn’t even be commenting right now. And absolutely nothing wrong with that if you have the $$$$

PeteBull

what we pay for GPU's vs what bulk order contracted companies pay for GPU's is not even close
First of all, consoles are APU's so not like ur standard gpu in pc space, they got cpu, gpu and memory on one integrated chip, it sacrifices upgrade'ability for being much cheaper and compact+ remember console form factor means heavy restriction on powerdraw, definitely below 250W total for whole system, topend pc gpu can easily go over 400W alone, and oced push to 600W, again just gpu itself.

Thats the reason we can never have actually powerful console anymore(compared to topend pc), only low to midrange even if we talking new product, back in the days pc hardware(both cpu and gpu) had less powerdraw so consoles, with its console form factor could somehow compete on power with relatively highend pc's which back then didnt have monstrous powerdraw like nowadays.

Look at this topend gpu back from 2006( so x360/ps3 early days):
600$(934$ after adjusting for inflation in 2024) and 155W powerdraw only so way under what ps5/xsx draw now (they got around 200-220W afaik even in most graphics intense scenarios).

Here some funny quotes from final thoughts on that card review, ps3 is mentioned https://www.anandtech.com/show/2116/29
Back when Sony announced the specifications of the PlayStation 3, everyone asked if it meant the end of PC gaming. After all Cell looked very strong and NVIDIA's RSX GPU had tremendous power. We asked NVIDIA how long it would take until we saw a GPU faster than the RSX. Their answer: by the time the PS3 ships. So congratulations to NVIDIA for making the PS3 obsolete before it ever shipped, as G80 is truly a beast.

PeteBull

PlayStation PC ports are 2 year old games…
Plus the PS5 Pro is better than 95% of Any PC out there.
U are pretty close on the money there.
First gpu that is supposed to match ps5pr0 is currently at 2,38% of userbase (4070), 2nd one few % stronger(3080, superpopular coz was very cheaply priced for what it was if some1 could actually buy it durning covid) is at 2,11%, those 2 are maybe tiny bit stronger from pr0 but roughly same ballpark.

First gpu that is actually visibly stronger is 4070ti, which sits currently at 1,24% of userbase, then we got 4090 at 0,94% and 4080 at 0,77%.
Then we got gpu's that are about 2x stronger from base ps5 so obviously stronger from ps5pr0 too - 4070super at 0,77%, 3080ti at 0,75%, 3090 at 0,52%.

Laptop 4080 is 20% weaker from desktop 4070 https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-4080-mobile.c3947 so not counting it(rip lappy power, only strong lappy gpu is 4090 laptop version but its pricy af so obviously not in top100 of userbase).

Amd's last 2 gens sold relatively badly so from gpu's that are similar/stronger from upcoming ps5pr0 we only got 6800 at 0,18% , 6800xt at 0,30%, 6900xt at 0,21% and current amd's flagship 7900xtx at 0,33% userbase, rest of amd cards are either weaker from pr0 or simply not even in top100 userbase( so below 0,15%).

Total as of now according to most relable data, aka steamsurvey we got nice 10,5% of gpu's that are as fast or faster from upcoming ps5pr0, data is from june 2024, once again, best info we got.

Last edited:

Leonidas

PlayStation PC ports are 2 year old games…
Good thing I have a backlog... I don't care as long as the games eventually come.
Plus the PS5 Pro is better than 95% of Any PC out there.
Doesn't change the fact that its weaker than some GPUs from 2020. And that is the fastest a console will be in 2024, a bit worse than the best PC GPU from 2020.

PS5 Pro GPU will be mid-range at launch, but then next-gen GPUs launch shortly afterwards, which will make PS5s GPU look like a joke.

Then there's the fact that a bunch of the software on PS5 Pro won't even be able to use the power, run games like Batman Arkham Knight and Just Cause 3 and you'll still be limited by PS4 settings and 900p/1080p @ 30 FPS in those PS4 games which won't get patches :messenger_sun:

winjer

Gold Member
Consoles have been using mid range hardware for a long time. They never used high end hardware.
And the reason is very simple, they have a very limited budget constrain. Unlike, high end PCs, that can go to several thousands of dollars or euros.
So when doing comparisons with PC hardware, let's keep in mind that these consoles only cost around 400-500$

King Dazzar

Good thing I have a backlog... I don't care as long as the games eventually come.

Doesn't change the fact that its weaker than some GPUs from 2020. And that is the fastest a console will be in 2024, a bit worse than the best PC GPU from 2020.

PS5 Pro GPU will be mid-range at launch, but then next-gen GPUs launch shortly afterwards, which will make PS5s GPU look like a joke.

Then there's the fact that a bunch of the software on PS5 Pro won't even be able to use the power, run games like Batman Arkham Knight and Just Cause 3 and you'll still be limited by PS4 settings and 900p/1080p @ 30 FPS in those PS4 games which won't get patches :messenger_sun:
Then why does a PS5 Pro thread interest you? If your only objective is to troll the thread with how great your PC is and how the PS5 is a joke, then shouldn't you be off enjoying it?

This isnt a platform war thread.

Then why does a PS5 Pro thread interest you? If your only objective is to troll the thread with how great your PC is and how the PS5 is a joke, then shouldn't you be off enjoying it?

This isnt a platform war thread.

PCMR is salty because the world doesn't give a shit about their PCs but the same world stops every time Sony releases a new Playstation

That's why they need to keep posting here: to validate their choice (that nobody cares about)

You are talking pure Nonsens the PS5 is was more successful than the 4 especially if you consider everything like the price increase.the PS5 will outsell 4 easy.
Apologies. I had heard that several times and just parroted it. Serves me right. I should double check before posting about numbers. Looks like PS5 is now 7% ahead of PS4.

vivftp

Apologies. I had heard that several times and just parroted it. Serves me right. I should double check before posting about numbers. Looks like PS5 is now 7% ahead of PS4.

In terms of consoles moved, the PS5 is currently a bit behind the PS4 when launch aligned. It was set to surpass the PS4 sales curve this last holiday season, but fell just a bit short. I think that'll reverse as we get the PS5 Pro, GTA6 and the second half of SIEs lineup this gen. Add to that this gen likely going a year longer than last, and I think it's an easy prediction that the PS5 will sell more than the PS4 when all is said and done.

In terms of consoles moved, the PS5 is currently a bit behind the PS4 when launch aligned. It was set to surpass the PS4 sales curve this last holiday season, but fell just a bit short. I think that'll reverse as we get the PS5 Pro, GTA6 and the second half of SIEs lineup this gen. Add to that this gen likely going a year longer than last, and I think it's an easy prediction that the PS5 will sell more than the PS4 when all is said and done.
Ah ok. GTA VI will definitely move hardware especially if there's a bundle that's the current price of the PS5 on it's own for launch.

I really, really hope R* don't ignore the Pro like they did with GTA V and have ignored PS5 with RDRII... For such a visually accomplished studio they really don't seem to care about image quality or stabalising framerate nevermind talking 60fps modes. I pray this time it's different because if I buy a PS5 Pro this year and there's literally no difference between it's version and the standard PS5 version of GTA VI I'll be mad lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

PaintTinJr

U are pretty close on the money there.
First gpu that is supposed to match ps5pr0 is currently at 2,38% of userbase (4070), 2nd one few % stronger(3080, superpopular coz was very cheaply priced for what it was if some1 could actually buy it durning covid) is at 2,11%, those 2 are maybe tiny bit stronger from pr0 but roughly same ballpark.

First gpu that is actually visibly stronger is 4070ti, which sits currently at 1,24% of userbase, then we got 4090 at 0,94% and 4080 at 0,77%.
Then we got gpu's that are about 2x stronger from base ps5 so obviously stronger from ps5pr0 too - 4070super at 0,77%, 3080ti at 0,75%, 3090 at 0,52%.

Laptop 4080 is 20% weaker from desktop 4070 https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-4080-mobile.c3947 so not counting it(rip lappy power, only strong lappy gpu is 4090 laptop version but its pricy af so obviously not in top100 of userbase).

Amd's last 2 gens sold relatively badly so from gpu's that are similar/stronger from upcoming ps5pr0 we only got 6800 at 0,18% , 6800xt at 0,30%, 6900xt at 0,21% and current amd's flagship 7900xtx at 0,33% userbase, rest of amd cards are either weaker from pr0 or simply not even in top100 userbase( so below 0,15%).

Total as of now according to most relable data, aka steamsurvey we got nice 10,5% of gpu's that are as fast or faster from upcoming ps5pr0, data is from june 2024, once again, best info we got.
At the point where DF/PCMR gave up on championing native rendering the whole comparison started to become moot - even if we further reduce that 10% by screen output technology being the limiting factor - IMO.

With software production level being controlled by consoles like PlayStation and now 4K60/4K120 with HDR on TV being the pinnacle of image output - because flagship 8K TVs already came and went as a diminishing return -the battle to be won over DLSS vs PSSR while using RT and constrained by multi-frame latency, I'm struggling to see where any important AAA game on PlayStation and PC won't leave PlayStation in control of all the tiny edge case diminishing return options for a "more powerful" GPU - than a PS5 Pro - to show any meaningful difference, when frame-rate with RT is capped by latency restrictions on DLSS/PSSR to work on TVs, Render resolution and HDR is capped by TVs and visual fx and production is pioneered by Sony first party games powered by Unreal that Sony own a substantial stake of meaning PSSR at source could have advantages to DLSS if it is as good as people are rumouring.

IMO It is quite possible we are reaching the end of the road with the PS5 Pro, where PCMR superiority will move exclusively into the VR field where native rendering and frame-rate without deep complex RT will continue to show their worth by contrast to an entirely upscaled experience pushing up fidelity outside VR where PCMR and PS5 Pro might become hardly worth the comparison analysis on PlayStation first party ports.

Last edited:

PeteBull

IMO It is quite possible we are reaching the end of the road with the PS5 Pro, where PCMR superiority will move exclusively into the VR field where native rendering and frame-rate without deep complex RT will continue to show their worth by contrast to an entirely upscaled experience pushing up fidelity outside VR where PCMR and PS5 Pro might become hardly worth the comparison analysis on PlayStation first party ports.
First lets see how well can ps5pr0 run the matrix demo or game that is close to that graphics wise, aka stable 60 fps always and w/o visible aliasing, dont care if its 1080p or 1440p or some smart checkerboarding solution :)

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

majority of people cant afford those new GPU.
GPU prices are getting ridiculous and Nvidia is not backing down.

So the ps5 pro can make it depends on the price.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Seriously, what’s the point in ridiculous takes like this? You do realise that NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO PLAY ON PC??!!
Yes, I'm one of them.
Doesn't change the fact regarding the context at hand.
Which is to keep their Userbase from migrating to PC.
it makes that reasoning redundant.
it doesn't apply to you and me bro 💪

Leonidas

Then why does a PS5 Pro thread interest you?
I might still get one in the end, to access some games from my PSN account.

I sold my PS5 months ago in preparation to get PS5 Pro in case Sony made a console that interests me (when it comes to console, power is the least of my concern, I want enhancements of backwards compatible games).
majority of people cant afford those new GPU.
GPU prices are getting ridiculous and Nvidia is not backing down.
$500-$550 GPUs today will outperform PS5 Pro.

PS5 Pro seems to have the performance of a $400 mid-range GPU today. Not very expensive... when it launches, the price of a comparable PC GPU will be even lower. When next-gen GPUs arrive in months, PS5 Pro level GPU will be even cheaper.

Mr Moose

I sold my PS5 months ago in preparation to get PS5 Pro in case Sony made a console that interests me (when it comes to console, power is the least of my concern, I want enhancements of backwards compatible games).

PS5 Pro seems to have the performance of a $400 mid-range GPU today. Not very expensive... when it launches, the price of a comparable PC GPU will be even lower. When next-gen GPUs arrive in months, PS5 Pro level GPU will be even cheaper.
And the rest of the system? Or did you steal those parts.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

thats GPU alone though.
As a console gamer, the upgrades is enough for me.
Im happy with most of the games performance runs on ps5, i think the pro is going to be very good if Sony knows what they are doing

Last edited:

Zathalus

I don’t think there is a single 400 dollar GPU that will be able to match the Pro. Only the 7700xt comes close but even that will be slower in rasterization based on the leaked specs, and way behind in RT and ML. You really need a 4070 at minimum to get a similar experience.

Mithos

Gold Member

Plopped those prices into some shops around here.

$500 -> $550
RTX 4060TI 8GB -> RTX 4060 TI 16GB
AMD Radeon 6750 XT / 7600 XT -> 7700 XT

What kinda card would you get for those prices?

Leonidas

And the rest of the system? Or did you steal those parts.
I'm just commenting on the fact people act like GPU prices are expensive, $400 (PS5 Pro equivalent GPU) isn't. And the equivalent GPU will be even cheaper when it arrives.

No I didn't steal the parts. My PC from 2020 also had a better CPU than PS5 Pro (but I've since upgraded that too, years ago, as well).

thats GPU alone though.
And the person I was responding to said PC GPUs was expensive, when its really not, when you go for console equivalent parts.

But a PS5 Pro is not just a GPU
Yes, and console equivalent GPU is pretty cheap these days.

I don’t think there is a single 400 dollar GPU that will be able to match the Pro. Only the 7700xt comes close but even that will be slower in rasterization based on the leaked specs, and way behind in RT and ML. You really need a 4070 at minimum to get a similar experience.
Sony stated 45% better raster than PS5, that would put it right around 7700 XT, if Sony is correct. Its slower than a 4070/3080...

Plopped those prices into some shops around here.

$500 -> $550
RTX 4060TI 8GB -> RTX 4060 TI 16GB
AMD Radeon 6750 XT / 7600 XT -> 7700 XT

What kinda card would you get for those prices?
7700 XT will be around PS5 Pro performance. Its $400 today, or on sale, sometimes even cheaper.

7800 XT/4070 at $500/$550 outperforms it.

4060 Ti is bad value today, but the next-gen GPUs launching months after PS5 Pro will most likely lead to a situation where even a $400 Nvidia card beats PS5 Pro.

Mithos

Gold Member
7700 XT will be around PS5 Pro performance. Its $400 today, or on sale, sometimes even cheaper.
7800 XT/4070 at $500/$550 outperforms it.
4060 Ti is bad value today, but the next-gen GPUs launching months after PS5 Pro will most likely lead to a situation where even a $400 Nvidia card beats PS5 Pro.
Sadly you are not getting those cards for that price around here (Sweden).

$550 is the 4060 TI 16GB / 7700 XT, you want a 4070 / 7800 XT you have to cough up more like;

RX 7800XT - $670->$760
RTX 4070 - $670->$840

Edit:
Additionally a PS5 Standard Edition (Slim) is also around $670 here... So...

Last edited:
Top Bottom