• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

PaintTinJr

That is an over-complicated way of saying "rasterization produces fragments that are afterwards passed to the fragment/pixel shader". It does not explain why "pixel shader" is supposedly wrong terminology.
The fragmentation and fragment shader are both part of the rasterization pipeline, and the granularity of processing is a candidate fragment, not a pixel.

So the "pixel/fragment" shader processing is orientated about the candidate fragments that get processed and do the actual shading/blending that results in target output(pixels).

So it was perfectly logical for those at Pixar that developed RenderMan and the GLSL syntax for RenderMan to name things with the correct syntax that corresponded to the context/granularity of processing in which the rendering is manipulated or halted.

Arioco

What he says is that at that moment, the Series X is the only platform that has Tier 2 VRS.
The PS5 does not support Tier 2 VRS. So they implemented Tier 1 VRS.
And the PC later got Tier 2 VRS.

Here is the video, with DF comparing the PS5 with Tier 1 VSR vs Series X with Tier 2 VRS and the PC with Tier 2 VRS.
All the while talking with an id developer talking about how they implemented VRS on all platforms.

Minute 17:46

- Developer: "I wish it (VRS) was available in all platforms, we would've definitely used it".

- Winjer: "Developer said they used it on all platforms".

o_O ???!

OK, dude, whatever you say. 👍

Mr.Phoenix

I don't see them releasing a diskless Pro. The margins on the PS5 Digital are presumably much slimmer than on the regular one. An optical drive sure as hell doesn't cost $100 to produce. I also believe Sony won't want so many SKUs on the market. It's equally doubtful that the price of any of the consoles will drop given the current economy and the fact that Sony increased the price just a year ago.

I see:

$399 PS5 Digital
$499 PS5
$599 PS5 Pro
My thing is I don't get why people think sony would/could risk having too many SKUs on the market.

I believe negating that possibility is the whole point of them making a disc add-on.

I can firmly see them just selling the PS5 and PS5pro for $399 and $499 respectively. Without any disc SKU. and those who want disc drive would get one, cause Sony is probably making at least $40 off every disc drive add-on sold. Or they sell a PS5pro SKU with the disc drive for $549.

I don't see them selling anything for $599.

Yes, I watched the video when it was uploaded, and the DF analysis too. But did you?

Again, DOOM Eternal doesn't use any form of VRS on PS5 and the imagen taken at 400% tries to show the artifacts on Series consoles and not present on PS5.

You can hear the whole explanation here, minute 8:17

Yes, it looks blurrier on Xbox. It's not win win. It's win loose. Games already running at 60fps on all platforms, on Xbox you get a visibly blurrier image while supposeldy running at a higher resolution. But what's the point if the game actually looks sharper on PS5? There is a reason no more multiplatform games use it. Because it's a sham.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I fully expect the Pro to launch at no less than $599. Current gen pricing behavior suggests as much. Sony has been emboldened by relatively strong sales in the absence of a price cut for base PS5, not to mention the weak state of their main competitor, who will not be offering a Pro console of their own this time around.

Also expect no disc drive. Those who want a disc drive will be made to purchase as add-on.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I don't see them releasing a diskless Pro.

I see:

$599 PS5 Pro

I fully expect the Pro to launch at no less than $599.

Also expect no disc drive. Those who want a disc drive will be made to purchase as add-on.
Gentlemen, it appears we're at an impasse.

640px-Mexican_Standoff.jpg

PeteBull

Gold Member
I fully expect the Pro to launch at no less than $599. Current gen pricing behavior suggests as much. Sony has been emboldened by relatively strong sales in the absence of a price cut for base PS5, not to mention the weak state of their main competitor, who will not be offering a Pro console of their own this time around.

That would suck for us enthusiasts, i hope its 500 disc drive included, 4 years ago base ps5, with disc drive was 500 too after all, its in sony's best interest to sell 10-15mil of pr0s first year, and same on the 2nd year since it will be gta6 year after all :p

Arioco

Yes, it looks blurrier on Xbox. It's not win win. It's win loose. Games already running at 60fps on all platforms, on Xbox you get a visibly blurrier image while supposeldy running at a higher resolution. But what's the point if the game actually looks sharper on PS5? There is a reason no more multiplatform games use it. Because it's a sham.

Funny thing is the developers didn't implement VRS on PC either. On PS5 it makes sense, because it lacks hardware VRS support, but on the PC... Some say that's because not every PC GPU support hardware VRS, but not every GPU supports ray tracing either and they implemented it anyways, which is weird when every single GPU that supports ray tracing also support VRS and PC players are more likely to play at 120 fps and above, so they would've benefited more than console user from that 10-15% extra performance developers claim.

Last edited:

Loxus

For a start that's mostly about network training rather than inference, and the Ragnarok algorithm already has to produce BC7 format data so has other constraints that even INT16 might not have suited because the BC7 format itself has already quantized the raw RGBA data into lossy compressed data, which was essential to leverage the BC7 decompression acceleration built-in. So the precision based on the presentation isn't suited to INT4, INT8 or INT16 and was preferred at FP32 originally, but worked with minimal difference at FP16. A 4 times speed up of their first algorithm is achieve by optimisations at a to-the-metal level of effectively bin packing the workload and eliminating cache misses while still working in a general purpose async compute language. So I very much doubt the DPA4 would a) gain much more performance, and b) wouldn't provide the ability to use the feature without blocking the GPU's ability to interlace other work asynchronously.
PS5 doesn't have Int operations, so how you know it wasn't suitable?

By your logic, the PS5 Pro doesn't need that Int8 300TOPs for PSSR then.

Funny thins is the developers didn't implement VRS on PC either. On PS5 it makes sense, because it lacks hardware VRS support, but on the PC... Some say that's because not every PC GPU support hardware VRS, but not every GPU supports ray tracing either and they implemented it anyways, which is weird when every single GPU that supports ray tracing also support VRS and PC players are more likely to play at 120 fps and above, so they would've benefited more than console user from that 10-15% extra performance developers claim.
Most PC users having tried and compared RDNA2 VRS ON OFF quickly disabled that shit. Very weak performance gains in exchange of ugly blocky textures. The only case where this kind of low quality VRS could be advisable is with VR and eye tracking.

PaintTinJr

PS5 doesn't have Int operations, so how you know it wasn't suitable?

By your logic, the PS5 Pro doesn't need that Int8 300TOPs for PSSR then.
We know because the Ragnarok BC7 texture data that the training is done on already uses pattern modes, like 64 patterns (4x4 blocks with 4 rotations) of pixel patterns using differing end points to encode with, meaning the data is already quantized at INT6 in that mode if I'm not mistaken, and somewhere between INT4 and INT8 in the other modes.

However, in what context are you suggesting the PS5 doesn't have int operations?

Modern GPUs for +20years have been RGBA_8888 accelerators at their core. Are you suggesting there's no access to do the operations? or no quick access to the operations?

If the latter, going by your own chart in your previous post of RDNA2, the FP16 to INT8 instructions per cycle comparison is the same, so even in another ML situation we were using FP16 in place of INT8, the benefit would only be x2 in training for the INT8, and as the inferred data size still has to be the same, I'm not entirely sure that 4x INT8 inference would be quicker than 4x FP16 inference internal to CUs to recover a fixed size 4k data set, when memory bandwidth/latency of RAM beyond the CUs would presumably be the limiting factor for both.

As for the usefulness of the 300TOPs, I assume it will be well used for PSSR, but maybe more for something like live training, where naturally the previous framebuffers are in raw format so need INT8 quantized first (on the fly) to supplement the offline training. But I'm intrigued to find out.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Sony have been notoriously cagey about announcements in recent years, I'd expect them to make an announcement at earliest a week before the said event is to take place.
Depending on what they learnt from the timing of announcing the PS4 Pro and the impact it had on PS4 console and game sales they'll maybe announce even later with a bigger price and almost blind drop in the market.

schaft0620

I don't know where you are getting your prices.

On both Amazon and Sony Playstation direct store... The PS5 Slim is (listed/sold) for $499/$450 and $449/$399 for the Slim+drive and just the Slim respectively.

What is likely to happen, is that Sony could stop selling any bundled option of the Slim with a drive and have the Slim sit at $399. That way, they can sell a Pro console, without a drive for $499. And have a Pro+drive bundle that retails for $550.

We can also see something like this...

$399 PS5
$449 PS5 + BRD
$499 PS5pro
$549 PS5pro + BRD

TLDR, the slim today is not actually $499. And the difference between a slim and pro is not going to be $50, it will be $100.

The Slim is $500, $450 when on sale. The Slim always comes with a disc drive the digital slim does not. It's $500.

PlayStation®5 console (slim) https://a.co/d/hfaFKGC

Sony isn't involved with Gamescom, correct?

I still expect them to announce it in September, with a November launch. Whether it'll be just a thing for the Pro or actually a Showcase is another thing.

I'd think they'd really want to show some games to entice people for it. I'm personally excited to see just what it can do--there's so many games I am hopeful for PS5 Pro support, like Baldurs Gate III, Cyberpunk, FF7 Rebirth, Ghost of Tsushima, CoD, etc.

CoD would be a good one, but I doubt they'll be able to show it off being that it's a Microsoft thing.

SonGoku

Sales are "strong" relative to poor performing peers, they are not good or ideal and declining, sooner or later Sony will have to cut prices to revitalize base PS5 sales.

If PS5 Pro is truly on 6nm (which i dont believe) and in between a 4060Ti and 4070, then $499 is a very likely target for Sony cutting costs at every corner to hit that target.

If PS5 Pro is on 5nm/4N and on par with a RTX 4070 then sure $599 is not a bad deal but trying to sell below 4070 performance for $599 is not gonna fly

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Don’t think so but they are at Tokyo Game Show this year

Nope.

Don't mean that they won't show up at Keighley's Opening Night Live with a trailer or two (Until Dawn and LEGO Horizon Adventures release dates?), but anything Pro-related will probably have to wait until September.
Hopefully then we’ll hear from Sony at TGS or earlier. If they are serious about launching this year, I figure we will have the reveal before end of September, probably earlier.

PaintTinJr

Sales are "strong" relative to poor performing peers, they are not good or ideal and declining, sooner or later Sony will have to cut prices to revitalize base PS5 sales.

If PS5 Pro is truly on 6nm (which i dont believe) and in between a 4060Ti and 4070, then $499 is a very likely target for Sony cutting costs at every corner to hit that target.

If PS5 Pro is on 5nm/4N and on par with a RTX 4070 then sure $599 is not a bad deal but trying to sell below 4070 performance for $599 is not gonna fly
Going low on price for a console that again would presumably get scalped to kingdom come at any price below £850, I think Sony know the niche of the market they are selling the Pro to - without damaging PS6 early demand - and will want to choose a price that lets them sell 20m with each Pro console subsidizing 1of 20m reduced price base PS5s up to £150, maybe with Pro consumers trading in their base PS5 in to and increasing the PS5 install base factored into that price too.

Below £750 are Sony going to make a decent profit on the Pro and/or discourage any scalpers of risk, is my thought. I have serious doubts that Sony have much latitude against cost of living/inflation to reduce base PS5 price that will re-kickstart the next tier of owners, so selling the Pro at cost to feed scalpers when the core demand will be there at any price seems unlikely IMO.

Last edited:

Agree with a lot of this. Sales are good comparitively to their peers, but Xbox has been struggling mightily and Switch has been out so long(and a good price) that it has kind of peaked out.

Sales as a whole are down because, despite what is said about the economy doing well, a fairly sizable amount of people are NOT feeling it because inflation is putting the squeeze on folks.

Games/Systems are one of the first "luxuries" to get cut out, followed by fast food(imo) and that industry is seeing declines as customers balk at higher prices or wait for deals, forcing them to lower prices.

It's a niche product, but I think $599 is about as high as they can risk going, if that.

Schachtier

Neo Member
Im curious to see how the marketing for the PS5pro is gone look like. For PS4pro, they talked about how the power is needed for 4k displays. But with PS5, there is no new display-tech. They would have to admit that PS5 is underpowered.

PeteBull

Gold Member
It's a niche product, but I think $599 is about as high as they can risk going, if that.
Yups, if they keep discless ps5 at 400 then this new one should be at max 600$ and they still make cash on it, with same cpu and maybe 50% more power in raster there is not enough new/strong hardware for it to cost more than 600, andd 500 would actually be sweetspot, but maybe they wanna start at 600 to get enthusiasts on board since we buy that stuff at any price(none of us would bat an eye even at 800 usd/euro;p) and then after a year or two cut the price to 500?

Edit: srsly wtf, discless ps5 is 450usd now 3,5years after launch https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-p...digital-edition-white/6566040.p?skuId=6566040
No wonder this years sales arent as great, this thing should be at max 350 now, since at launch base ps5 discless was 400.

Last edited:

Perrott

Im curious to see how the marketing for the PS5pro is gone look like. For PS4pro, they talked about how the power is needed for 4k displays. But with PS5, there is no new display-tech. They would have to admit that PS5 is underpowered.
PSSR, better image quality, higher framerates, more raytracing, Grand Theft Auto VI.

Done.

Oh, and thank god there's no new mass-market display technology standard being pushed this time around. That means the power of the PS5 Pro can now be focused towards achieving greater fluidity, clarity and fidelity, instead of it being wasted on half-assing our way towards an unattainable resolution target as with the PS4 Pro.

Raytraced Horizon: Forbidden West (PS5 Pro) > Checkerboarded 4K Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4 Pro)

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

If it launches at $599, it’ll come with a disc drive.

Easy enough to message that This is about improved visuals and framerates + better Ray tracing.

Nvidia doesn’t signpost that their previous gen GPUs are underpowered when they launch new ones. Apple doesn’t say the same about the M1 when they launch the M4. All you provide is performance graphs and charts showing you there’s a new flagship in the market

Last edited:
PSSR, better image quality, higher framerates, more raytracing, Grand Theft Auto VI.

Done.

Oh, and thank god there no new mass-market display technology standard being pushed this time around. That means the power of the PS5 Pro can now be focused towards achieving greater fluidity, clarity and fidelity, instead of it being wasted on half-assing our way towards an unattainable resolution target as with the PS4 Pro.

Raytraced Horizon: Forbidden West (PS5 Pro) > Checkerboarded 4K Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4 Pro)

How confident are we that we’re going to get ray-traced Horizon Forbidden West?

Blizzje

It really is quite simple. They only have to convey the message that PS5 Pro will run all games better, in higher resolutions, in 120hz and - for select titles - in 8k.
That will get the enthusiasts going. As a big percentage of PC users have systems that have way lower specs than a PS5 and the competition, they don't really have to communicatie about it being 'underpowered', as it really isn't. We just need more horsepower and AI to run higher resolutions at higher framerates.

There are a couple of options for campaigns. The first one, starting november, can revolve around playing first and third party games in the highest framerate possible. Competitive gamers can also be a target this way. I can also imagine a campaign that involves 'The best way to play GTA VI', accompanied by a bundle. I can also see a marketed 'Pro mode' instead of 'Quality' or 'Performance mode'. Play the games without making the choice between quality or performance, but have your cake and eat it too.

And once again about 'underpowered': casual gamer friends of mine that know about the pro do not feel the regular PS5 is underpowered. They accept the fact that they have to choose between quality and performance and understand that new tech is always going to be more powerful and can run things better. The model for phones is largely the same.

I think many people forget that in February Totoki said a PS5 price cut wasn't a serious possibility anytime soon because the production costs for the first time didn't go down but up.

Their profit margin is already too small and the base PS5 having a price cut will obviously have an impact on that.

Perhaps a drop of 50 dollars on the base model is possible for the end of the year but given the declarations at the beginning of the year this could be complicated.

It seems difficult to imagine the same strategy as for the PS4 Pro which ended up with the same launch price as the PS4.

Loxus

After reading this and the Nvidia paper about Neural Networks used for Texture compression, seems they both agree that the sweet spot for performance and texture compression is FP16.
So yes, this is one case where something like DP4A would be useless.
I read through the last few pages.
Wasn't this thread discussing VRS and upscaling?

Where did texture compression get in to the mix? Now I'm confused, cause I know DP4a (Int8) is better with upscaling then FP16.

winjer

Gold Member
I read through the last few pages.
Wasn't this thread discussing VRS and upscaling?

Where did texture compression get in to the mix? Now I'm confused, cause I know DP4a (Int8) is better with upscaling then FP16.

We were talking about both things.
For upscaling, it's mostly Int4 and Int8. And for NN texture compression it's FP16.

Loxus

We were talking about both things.
For upscaling, it's mostly Int4 and Int8. And for NN texture compression it's FP16.
I could be wrong but it doesn't read like it's compressing or decompressing anything with FP16. Not to mention the SOC has the I/O Complex for that.

It reads to me that it's using BC7 compressed textures and upsampling them using FP16.
T0cfhNn.jpeg

This part reads to me like the lack of DP4a capabilities of the GPU made them use a work around.
ssyQWzR.jpeg

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I could be wrong but it doesn't read like it's compressing or decompressing anything with FP16. Not to mention the SOC has the I/O Complex for that.

It reads to me that it's using BC7 compressed textures and upsampling them using FP16.
T0cfhNn.jpeg

This part reads to me like the lack of DP4a capabilities of the GPU made them use a work around.
ssyQWzR.jpeg

Page 43

Page 7

PaintTinJr

T0cfhNn.jpeg

ssyQWzR.jpeg
Surely the point in those comments is that they didn't need dedicated silicon for FP16 capabilities or silicon area for DP4A and were able to exploit the common ALUs by converting data from FP16 to Integer representation?

Also the part about compression is a bit indirect. The PS4/PS5 base textures are stored in BC7 compressed format and are compressed with Oodle (Kraken), the neural network is then trained on producing a 4K BC7 versions from the 2K BC7 version, so that the FP16 capabilities on the PS5 can inference the 4K BC7 blocks from a 2K BC7 block, and then pass that block to the GPU's ASIC for handling textures in BC7 and decompressing them on the fly when a texture sampler samples a block.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

I think many people forget that in February Totoki said a PS5 price cut wasn't a serious possibility anytime soon because the production costs for the first time didn't go down but up.

Their profit margin is already too small and the base PS5 having a price cut will obviously have an impact on that.

Perhaps a drop of 50 dollars on the base model is possible for the end of the year but given the declarations at the beginning of the year this could be complicated.

It seems difficult to imagine the same strategy as for the PS4 Pro which ended up with the same launch price as the PS4.
The base PS5 (non-disc SKU) launched at $400 in 2020. There is no way, none at all that the current PS5 refresh doesn't cost less than that to make today. In truth probably for a while now. That they still sell it at $400+, regardless of whatever they are saying, comes down to them simply knowing they can get away with it and that they are also Ok with the rate the platform is selling in currently.

Its not like they are going to come out and say that, "Hey, we can drop the price if we wanted, but we want to be making a profit on each box sold so we won't".

Now when looking at the cost of the PS5pro, we need to ask one simple question... how is it different from the OG PS5? And the simple answer to that is two fold, RAM and APU. They are using 16gbs RAM chips vs the 14Gbs used in the OG PS5 and using an APU that would be more expensive. These additional costs are not just some standalone price hikes, no, in fact, they are hikes on top the existing component budget. That is to say, it already will cost sony around $70-80 to make the current PS5 APU, the APU for the Pro would likely cost them just like $50 more. The cost hike for the RAM would be mostly negligible, as they are only using faster RAM and not increasing the quantity. For all we know that could be achieved simply by increasing the power/clocks of the RAM they are already using, but even if they were using different modules, that wouldn't add more than $30 to their RAM budget.

Not much else is changing. This means what we are looking at on top the BOM of a current PS5, is probably around $80-$100. Selling the console without a disc drive, means they can sell the thing for $500 and still be making a profit. When I see people say $599... I honestly wonder if they have ever given thought to what exactly, in a PS5pro, will make it cost $200 more than the base PS5. that is $200 in costs ON TOP of everything that is already in the PS5. It just doesn't make sense.

Loxus

You used the same page I did, which doesn't disprove my point.

Do you mean this page?
Similar to the approach used by Müller et al. for training autode- coders [47), we achieve practical compression speeds by using half- precision tensor core operations in a custom optimization program written in CUDA.
jZPttUm.jpeg

Back to upsampling.
I find it difficult to believe FP16 is better than Int8 at neural network image upsampling.
aKsHHAy.jpeg

233VX3r.jpeg
U2SkTUw.jpeg

The only thing I can think of is you guys aren't talking about upscaling.

winjer

Gold Member
You used the same page I did, which doesn't disprove my point.

Do you mean this page?
Similar to the approach used by Müller et al. for training autode- coders [47), we achieve practical compression speeds by using half- precision tensor core operations in a custom optimization program written in CUDA.
jZPttUm.jpeg

Back to upsampling.
I find it difficult to believe FP16 is better than Int8 at neural network image upsampling.
aKsHHAy.jpeg

233VX3r.jpeg
U2SkTUw.jpeg

The only thing I can think of is you guys aren't talking about upscaling.

I already said we were talking about both things.
And each works best with different precision rates.

Perrott

How confident are we that we’re going to get ray-traced Horizon Forbidden West?
Pretty confident going by how Death Stranding 2 seemed to be utilizing some sort of RTGI solution in its latest trailer, which I guess Guerrilla would be able to retroactively bring to Forbidden West in order to put it on the same visual level as the rumored Zero Dawn remake that's expected to be running on the most up-to-date version of Decima, just like DS2 does.

On top of that, Forbidden West does sound like it could very well be the poster child - alongside GT7, Demon's Souls and Ragnarök - for one of the PS5 Pro utilization examples that Sony provided in their documentation:
Game 2
Target – Add Raytracing to gameplay
Standard PlayStation 5 achieved 60FPS without raytracing, and PlayStation 5 Pro achieved 60FPS with Raytracing.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I didn't say it had to be for me or it is flawed.

But it is certainly flawed for a mass market audience and to say otherwise is to suggest that no product is flawed at all as long as someone buys it.

That's the thing. The Portal isn't for a mass market audience. I'd imagine the ceiling is 10 million world wide for the Portal.

Top Bottom