• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad |OT| You're already dead... by friendly fire

F!ReW!Re

IlludiumQ36 said:
Haven't seen anything like that for the SP, but try this fix for your MP issue:

Thanks, tried it, didn't help though, I can even see it loading the map but then it crashes after it's finished...

Exuro said:
For singleplayer, did you click continue/next/whatever in the bottom right corner? Pressing Axis campaign and continue also doesn't work for me, but I think that's just how it's designed. I had to press the button in the bottom right corner to move on from that screen.

Hahaha thanks I feel really stupid, funny thing was, that "select" button was hidden beneath the steam overlay that pops up when you start the game!

Sethos

Banned
Just got some MP game-time in. No lag, no issues, saved my progression ...

I even had my Bayonet on the Kar98 from owning RO1

speedpop said:
I suppose it provides an extra level of immersion; do I act on reflexes and pull the trigger now, or do I wait for rationale to kick in and make sure it's an enemy while I keep my crosshair hovering over them?
Crosshair? Cheater! ;)

Spookie said:
Bit pointless turning them off when you can hit tab to check if you killed them or not.
With the delayed message it didn't update before the actual message got through (at least in the beta).

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Anti-tank rifle kills are my favorite thing in the world right now.
I love shooting limbs straight off. Haven't experienced the red mist some were describing though.

F!ReW!Re said:
And the game crashed if I join a server... 4 tries in a row now..
Never had these problems during the beta..

Try turning down the shadows from ultra, I was having that and it fixed my issue.

NinjaKixx

Banned
I've been having a blast...I turned my shadow quality down to Medium and my game stopped crashing. My only problem now is the amount of lag I've been experiencing. I'll join a game with a ping of 60 in the server browser but in game my ping will be in the 300's...on a 25MB line.

vocab

The_Player said:
Played ~2h and don't understand what all the QQ are about. Never met any freeze, or crash, or lag, or any different problem. Game is just runs smooth, and it is a pure fun.
The one and only problem I've met so far is empty Settings panels (beside the video one), so I can't change my bindings.
You must have one godly computer. Between the games lack of visual clarity, and completely washed out colors, I'm having a terrible time with this game.

Amneisac

I only really had fun playing Territory on one particular map, can't remember the name, it's the one with the big church. Cooldown game mode seems like garbage. Having a hard time getting into this, but we'll see. There's some stuff I love so hopefully they can fix it up before I hop on the BF3 train.

F!ReW!Re

scorpscarx said:
Try turning down the shadows from ultra, I was having that and it fixed my issue.

I tried tuning down some of the other settings since shadows were on medium already. Seems to work fine now! Thanks!

Hah finished the first mission on the highest difficulty and now I got rewarded all 4 achievements for finishing the campaign on all difficulties! :)

Nickiepoo

PoweredBySoy said:
As a Commander, what's the difference between arty and mortar strikes?

Mortars give you a more sustained barrage of smaller explosives as far as I can tell.

Exuro said:
That's not the campaign, the game's campaign has like 10 or so mini campaigns and you got the achievement for finishing the first one.

No, it's a bug, the achievements clearly state that they're awarded for finishing the entire campaign. Same thing happened to me.

EDIT: and you!

Exuro

F!ReW!Re said:
I tried tuning down some of the other settings since shadows were on medium already. Seems to work fine now! Thanks!

Hah finished the first mission on the highest difficulty and now I got rewarded all 4 achievements for finishing the campaign on all difficulties! :)
Nevermind lol, got that too >_> Apparently beating the 1st chapter on gives you the difficulty achievement for the whole thing.

I'm already level 14 again, I want my Deluxe Edition unlocks and by this rate I will reach level 25 and it will be useless lol, that's my only nagging issue atm.

Max

I am not Max
"Day 1 Unlock of the Elite Assault Weapons (MKb 42(H) and AVT-40) and Semi Auto Sniper Weapons (SVT-40 and G 41(W)"

The 2nd day begins. Honestly why hasn't this been a priority to push out? I really wanted to use the MKB42 right away. We don't even have our badass shiny badges from owning RO1.

This is a legitimate complaint, we paid money for something advertised and haven't received it. I haven't had any major problems like some people have mentioned since the beta but I understand how they feel because of the problems with unlocks, achievements, and stats irks me to no end.

ACE 1991 said:
So how do I link up with other Gaffers? I would love to play with everyone later tonight.
Our Steam group

I think most of us try and get on the Kentucky Fried Gulasch server, 'open ro2goons.com' in console

ACE 1991

Max said:
"Day 1 Unlock of the Elite Assault Weapons (MKb 42(H) and AVT-40) and Semi Auto Sniper Weapons (SVT-40 and G 41(W)"

The 2nd day begins. Honestly why hasn't this been a priority to push out? I really wanted to use the MKB42 right away. We don't even have our badass shiny badges from owning RO1.

This is a legitimate complaint, we paid money for something advertised and haven't received it. I haven't had any major problems like some people have mentioned since the beta but I understand how they feel because of the problems with unlocks, achievements, and stats irks me to no end.

Our Steam group

I think most of us try and get on the Kentucky Fried Gulasch server, 'open ro2goons.com' in console

Thanks, joined! Also gave me an excuse to actually fill out my Steam information, haha.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
It's pretty cool to hear the Company of Heroes German narrator as the narrator in Red Orchestra as well. Almost feels like playing an fps version of CoH.

Dakota47

Speculator said:
It's pretty cool to hear the Company of Heroes German narrator as the narrator in Red Orchestra as well. Almost feels like playing an fps version of CoH.

He is a great voice actor. Such a sympathetic voice.

Divius

Played the SP a bit. I really like the realistic approach but I think you'd have to put a lot of hours into the MP to get good.

sk3tch

Switched from the red to the green team and my game performance is like night and day. The game is in a pretty sad state on the AMD side of things right now, probably ~25%+ slower. So have patience if you're disappointed with not being able to max this out. I am sure AMD will optimize their drivers for this game, soon.

Had a 6970 CFX, now using a 580 SLI, FWIW.

Awesome game is awesome. Had some nice rounds going. Warming up to the SL role, although that usually means less kills but this way I don't have to complain about SL not throwing smokes any more :). Also elite rifle is usually already full :(.

sk3tch said:
Switched from the red to the green team and my game performance is like night and day. The game is in a pretty sad state on the AMD side of things right now, probably ~25%+ slower. So have patience if you're disappointed with not being able to max this out. I am sure AMD will optimize their drivers for this game, soon.

Had a 6970 CFX, now using a 580 SLI, FWIW.
After my trusty 4850 served me well for a long time I switched to a 5850 without breaking a sweat but I have to say that I do feel the sting every now and then - Brink was another example. Will be giving Nvidia a chance the next time around.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I would give Nvidia a chance if their stock cards weren't so hot and power-hungry.

Besides that they have been getting their share of shit lately - Dragon Age II, Deus Ex, problems in BF3 alpha.

KaiserBecks

Just had an argument with someone who rather persistently tried to explain to me that in most cultures "red" means enemy and therefore the Russians (you know, the Red Army) should only have red name-tags when you were playing as a German.
The bitter truth however was, that the entire Russian team kept killing itself because a red name-tag apparently triggered their urge to shoot the person below.

I don't know what's worse: The bugs or the Call of Duty run 'n gunners. I hope they'll be gone at the same time though.

That said, I really like this game.

ACE 1991 said:
Is AMD peformance really that poor? I have a 6950, i5 2500K (at 4.0ghz) and 8gb of ram.

I have a gtx 570, i5 2500k (at 3.2 ghz) and 8gb of ram. I get 50-60fps with high settings (not ultra, but I honestly can't see the difference) at 2560x1440.

sk3tch

ACE 1991 said:
Is AMD peformance really that poor? I have a 6950, i5 2500K (at 4.0ghz) and 8gb of ram.

No, it's not like this game caused me to rush out and buy new cards. I just happened to be running this game quite a bit (along with a few others) and now the difference is noticeable between my previous setup to this one. Like I said, driver optimizations and things will be back to about even, again. So there's no reason to worry I was more making the statement for those that are unhappy now. If you're happy, then great. :)

subversus said:
I would give Nvidia a chance if their stock cards weren't so hot and power-hungry.

Besides that they have been getting their share of shit lately - Dragon Age II, Deus Ex, problems in BF3 alpha.

This is off-topic but I don't agree with this. My AMD Radeons (6970, reference model) were actually hotter/louder than my Nvidia GeForce cards (580, EVGA SuperClocked model - which just adds a 20 MHz OC, aka nothing).

Also - BF3 was a big reason I switched. Their demo stations at recent events ran 580 SLI setups.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
ACE 1991 said:
me and my gf's performance has been near flawless with that exact setup (feel free to be sickened by our twee rig synchronisation). i wouldn't be so naive as to extrapolate that to every amd user as performance was pretty scattershot in the beta, both nvidia and amd users with specs greater than mine were reporting unacceptable frame rates.

the only time i came close to 30fps was during artillery strikes on the original, unoptimised version of pavlov's house. all ultra/high shadows.

ACE 1991 said:
Eh, compared to the early beta I get good performance but I have to tone down some settings and it feels a bit sluggish in parts. It was a comparable issue with Brink (though those were Open GL issues, I fear for Rage).

RotBot

KaiserBecks said:
Just had an argument with someone who rather persistently tried to explain to me that in most cultures "red" means enemy and therefore the Russians (you know, the Red Army) should only have red name-tags when you were playing as a German.
The bitter truth however was, that the entire Russian team kept killing itself because a red name-tag apparently triggered their urge to shoot the person below.
By most cultures, he must mean Western military cultures that used red for the enemy because their enemy (USSR & China) had red flags.

"Red Team" was also a term for the opposing force OpFor in a war game by western nations during the Cold War, a reference to the predominantly red flags of Communist nations (i.e. the USSR and China) with the western nation(s) being the Blue Team. The USSR used the same colors in reversed meaning—they were the Red Team and the OpFor was the Blue Team.

Do Russians get confused when blue names are friendlies and red names are enemies?

From the games I've played so far, the Axis side won 90% of the time. The Allies were consistently down 2 or 3 men whenever I joined, so I guess people like being Nazis more than they like being Communists. I don't know what combination of player stacking, map balance, or color difference is causing it, but my habit of joining the team with fewer players means I lose 90% of the time. Am I just playing on the wrong servers or do all servers allow people to join the side that already has more players?

RotBot said:
From the games I've played so far, the Axis side won 90% of the time. The Allies were consistently down 2 or 3 men whenever I joined, so I guess people like being Nazis more than they like being Communists. I don't know what combination of player stacking, map balance, or color difference is causing it, but my habit of joining the team with fewer players means I lose 90% of the time. Am I just playing on the wrong servers or do all servers allow people to join the side that already has more players?
Axis soldiers having superior training? ;)

There are maps where Allies have the advantage imo but it also heavily depends on team members. I usually go to the attacking team - more fun.

With my video card currently being RMAED at Msi I sorta got desperate.

B7C428E1CC9B67CB07ACDD4EEFCA2B30BAB36A4A

Yup im totally running the game on an I5 2500k integrated graphics.

Runs pretty smoothly. 20-40 fps everything on low.

Looking forward to giving this a go when I get back from vacation. I didn't dig the beta, but it slowly warmed up on me. Hopefully they'll have a few more patches before Saturday.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
No other game can match the satisfaction of killing someone in this game, I am amazed.

Also thanks again to ghst, without whom I wouldn't even been able to play the game and would've most likely uninstalled it had you not given me that link.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Max said:
Stats are way too broken. It's showing kills for guns I haven't even used yet :(

Well you're lucky you got stats for them, I don't even have stats for things I know I've done xD.

rabhw

What is the "go-to" gametype in this game, and what is the "avoid" gametype?

I want to filter out the crap servers if possible :)

Max

I am not Max
Corky said:
Well you're lucky you got stats for them, I don't even have stats for things I know I've done xD.
Even when I get the level up message for the guns I use most, it still says level 0 as well

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Well, it seems to detect Windows Vista without my VAL on as a speed hack(Basically when it shutters every few minutes), so I got booted from 2 servers and realized its not on.

Game is fun, but the technical issues aren't particularly making me happy.

sk3tch

Corky said:
No other game can match the satisfaction of killing someone in this game, I am amazed.

Also thanks again to ghst, without whom I wouldn't even been able to play the game and would've most likely uninstalled it had you not given me that link.

What link is this? I looked back a couple of pages (ctrl-f'in' for ghst) and could not find it. Thanks.

Top Bottom