• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Final Fantasy 16 is coming to Xbox

There won't be a Series S version.

Exemption clause incoming...

This might be okay... if they are planning on also releasing the game on Switch 2. It'd be a substantial effort to downgrade the graphics but it could be done.

It'd depend on where the bottleneck is as to what it would take to get it to run on Series S. Presuming it would be 30 fps only.

Last edited:
Would fit to what Square recently said about excusivity.

However, considering the situation with XBOX, they should first put all their effort in a PC version and think then if a XBOX version really makes sense.

Personally not a fan of XVI, I finished it, but it’s perhaps my least favorite FF game. Rebirth on the other hand is perhaps my game of the decade.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Even if 100% of Xbox final fantasy do, it will get them a few thousand sales

My GOTY 2023 tho I loved the GoT season 1-4 blended with Naruto kinda writing for the story plus epic bosses plus willing to have strong male lead and not make Jill some Mary Sue and actually lean on others plus the godly score
I was a huge fan too. I might replay it on PC if it launches without any issues.

I expect Square has realistic expectations about what they're going to get at this point.

Game was awesome (with no replayability though). But will it sell on Xbox? I don't think FF games sell well on it when the IP has been so long with PS. At least get it on Steam first.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
This would expand their business a bit. But if SE really wants to experience more success particularly in Japan, they have to come back to Nintendo in a big way.

I've noticed that you tend to do two things on this forum, over & over again:
  1. You lump people in with one another and make blanket generalizations, and then you refuse to acknowledge that you've done so.
  2. You never leave the door open to allow for the fact that not everyone sees things the way you do, and that not everyone agrees with you. You state your opinions as if they're facts.
You do these two things over and over again, all the time.

It's very odd and off-putting, to be candid.

1. I haven’t done so, you just read far too much into a statement.

2. Im not doing anything different from anyone else, stating their own opinion.

Just because Punished Miku Punished Miku generally has absolutely shit taste in games, I’m stating that as a personal opinion, not fact. I’m sure he disagrees!

Last edited:

Woopah

Sales on Xbox just need to be big enough to cover the cost of porting, they don't need to be close to PS or Switch sales (this applies to all SE games, not just FF16).

This would expand their business a bit. But if SE really wants to experience more success particularly in Japan, they have to come back to Nintendo in a big way.
Switch 2 should be a big opportunity for SE, let's see if they take advantage of that.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Like they don't on those #1 best selling PC games? Don't attribute xbox's poor software sales to anything other than poor xbox software sales.
Big difference here is that PC versions are definitive versions. Xbox version will be another potato version.

There won't be a Series S version.
Exemption clause incoming...
I feel like, look... Hogwarts Legacy on freakin' Switch exists. It looks and runs like absolutely dogshit. Let's be honest. And look, I love Nintendo, I dearly love my Switch. But I would never buy that game on Switch unless I had no other choice and had to play it. I'm greatly enjoying it playing through it currently, in beautiful 4K on my Series X at solid 30 FPS and almost zero loading.

What is my point, why am I saying all this? Look, if they can port Hogwarts Legacy down to Switch, they can port FFXVI down to Series S. They could probably do it and at least lock in 720p at bare minimum, 30 FPS, with minimal graphical downgrades. It's the super-high resolution modes that demand all that overhead and compute power.

Last edited:
Sales on Xbox just need to be big enough to cover the cost of porting, they don't need to be close to PS or Switch sales (this applies to all SE games, not just FF16).

Switch 2 should be a big opportunity for SE, let's see if they take advantage of that.

With how crazy Square is about their sales expectations I don't think just covering the porting cost is worth it to them. They are trying to make money to report to investors. Investors don't want to hear you're breaking even.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
1. I haven’t done so, you just read far too much into a statement.

2. Im not doing anything different from anyone else, stating their own opinion.

Just because Punished Miku Punished Miku generally has absolutely shit taste in games, I’m stating that as a personal opinion, not fact. I’m sure he disagrees!

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

Big difference here is that PC versions are definitive versions. Xbox version will be another potato version.
I have no idea what this means. Care to elaborate?

I don't feel at all that my Series X versions of games like Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Skyrim Special Edition, Hogwarts Legacy, Elden Ring, etc are "potato" versions. Whatever that even means.

PC gaming and spending all of that money for a rig, and then having to go through all of the minutia in the settings to tune every little throttle switch to perfectly optimize every game to your specific rig... Been there, done that. I vastly prefer consoles. And that's speaking with the benefit of hindsight.

Last edited:

Woopah

With how crazy Square is about their sales expectations I don't think just covering the porting cost is worth it to them. They are trying to make money to report to investors. Investors don't want to hear you're breaking even.
Yes you're right, I should have clarified better.

Square will have an Internal Rate of Return (IRR) that all investments must hit. But as long as they do hit it, the decision to port was worth it.

For example, Dragon Quest doesn't need to do as well on Xbox as it does on Playstation, just like it doesn't have to do as well on Playstation as it does on Switch. The ports, and overall project, just need to exceed that IRR.

By that logic, why would the Switch sales need to be any bigger than Xbox's? That would also be a port; the effort SE'd have to do to get the game running well on Series S would cost at least as much (probably actually more) than porting it to the Switch 2 (at this point a "Switch" port would probably just be Switch 2).

Much like SIE's PC ports tho I assume there's an amount attributed to multiple platform deployments baked into the original budget acting as the "foundational costs" of the other ports. Which we wouldn't learn about, since that type of granularity is not important to customers or to shareholders.

I feel like, look... Hogwarts Legacy on freakin' Switch exists. It looks and runs like absolutely dogshit. Let's be honest. And look, I love Nintendo, I dearly love my Switch. But I would never buy that game on Switch unless I had no other choice and had to play it. I'm greatly enjoying it playing through it currently, in beautiful 4K on my Series X at solid 30 FPS and almost zero loading.

What is my point, why am I saying all this? Look, if they can port Hogwarts Legacy down to Switch, they can port FFXVI down to Series S. They could probably do it and at least lock in 720p at bare minimum, 30 FPS, with minimal graphical downgrades. It's the super-high resolution modes that demand all that overhead and compute power.

In theory, you're right that compromises for a Series S version could definitely be done. But would it make business sense? Would the costs in time, manpower and money to optimize the game for Series S justify the amount of people that'd actually play the game on a Series S?

Hogwarts on Switch is one thing; Harry Potter is a super-mainstream IP and the Switch has 140+ million units out there. A AAA Harry Potter game, even if it's the shittiest version, is still going to move quite a few millions which is exactly what Hogwarts did on the Switch. Final Fantasy is a way more niche IP, and Series S is sitting well under 20 million install base out there (assuming Series is at 26.something million right now, I'd figure it's something like 16 million Series S/10 million Series X type of split).

What's more, the type of people who'd be into playing FF XVI that also have an Xbox, would probably have a Series X to play that type of game on. So I don't think the business proposition for a Series S version makes much sense.

Hence, if XVI even comes to Xbox, I can see SE getting an exemption to skip Series S or get way lower QA clearance for a Series S version (that way they waste as little time and resources on that version as possible). Even if there is a Series S build, I can see SE getting the OK to put out a Series X version first, then release an S version some months later. By which point there'd probably be no point.

Maybe someone who only has access to a Series S?

NGL I'd feel pretty sorry for them. Especially if they're anything other than a casual gamer.

Like I've got family members in the young teens who ditched their Series S the moment they got a PS5. Probably don't even know where their Series S is, likely lost somewhere in the room under a ton of old clothes.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I've noticed that you tend to do two things on this forum, over & over again:
  1. You lump people in with one another and make blanket generalizations, and then you refuse to acknowledge that you've done so.
  2. You never leave the door open to allow for the fact that not everyone sees things the way you do, and that not everyone agrees with you. You state your opinions as if they're facts.
You do these two things over and over again, all the time.

It's very odd and off-putting, to be candid.
The Wire Roland Brice GIF

Esppiral

I would have buy it on Xbox but I am almost finishing the main story on Ps5, so one less sale, then they wonder why they don't sell on Xbox, to late and pretty sure 80€ when you can find it for half the price for Ps5...

Woopah

By that logic, why would the Switch sales need to be any bigger than Xbox's? That would also be a port; the effort SE'd have to do to get the game running well on Series S would cost at least as much (probably actually more) than porting it to the Switch 2 (at this point a "Switch" port would probably just be Switch 2).
They wouldn't. For example, porting things like The Witcher 3 and Doom to Switch is still worth it even if they don't sell as well as the Xbox versions.

For SE specifically, I expect everything to sell better on Switch / Switch 2 than on Xbox. They just need Switch 2 to actually come out
Hogwarts on Switch is one thing; Harry Potter is a super-mainstream IP and the Switch has 140+ million units out there. A AAA Harry Potter game, even if it's the shittiest version, is still going to move quite a few millions which is exactly what Hogwarts did on the Switch. Final Fantasy is a way more niche IP, and Series S is sitting well under 20 million install base out there (assuming Series is at 26.something million right now, I'd figure it's something like 16 million Series S/10 million Series X type of split).

What's more, the type of people who'd be into playing FF XVI that also have an Xbox, would probably have a Series X to play that type of game on. So I don't think the business proposition for a Series S version makes much sense.

Hence, if XVI even comes to Xbox, I can see SE getting an exemption to skip Series S or get way lower QA clearance for a Series S version (that way they waste as little time and resources on that version as possible). Even if there is a Series S build, I can see SE getting the OK to put out a Series X version first, then release an S version some months later. By which point there'd probably be no point

Series S is a fair chunk of the Xbox Series, and there's probably a lot of PCs out there that are weaker than it. So I'd say it would definitely be worth getting games to run on these less powerful machine (assuming it comes to PC around the same time as Xbox Series).

adamsapple

Hence, if XVI even comes to Xbox, I can see SE getting an exemption to skip Series S or get way lower QA clearance for a Series S version (that way they waste as little time and resources on that version as possible). Even if there is a Series S build, I can see SE getting the OK to put out a Series X version first, then release an S version some months later. By which point there'd probably be no point.

You're severely over-estimating the technical prowess of FF16, lol.

adamsapple

You're severely underestimating it. It's an amazing looking game in spots. It'll probably be 480p, 30fps on the series s.

At worse, it can be a case where the SX runs double the frame rate.

Series S: Lower visual settings, DRS 720p/30 FPS in combat. General world traversal 900p~1080p 30 FPS.
Series X: Same specs as PS5. Broader VRR range will help more with the general traversal in Performance mode, which they still haven't worked on in the PS5 version for some reason.

Sanepar

Since it is coming from Nate, it is just damage control before next batch of xbox exclusives coming to ps5.

adamsapple

It’s a damn good looking game

Yes, didn't say otherwise. It's good art with ok tech. The game isn't pushing any crazy kind of polygons. If you remember, there were debates and multiple articles about whether it'll be a cross-gen game not that long before it released.

Even the set-piece Eikon battles mostly all take place in enclosed arenas.

Last edited:
Personally not a fan of XVI, I finished it, but it’s perhaps my least favorite FF game. Rebirth on the other hand is perhaps my game of the decade.
Wow really you thought 13 and 15 were better than 16? I tried to get into 13 but my god is it a bad game. Such a basic JRPG combat system and just running down straight corridors. Then in 15 the story was bad, the combat had potential but they completely ruined it and I couldn't even stand in a mob of monsters and pull off a full combo without being hit. I remember during one fight I just kept spamming dodge because the mobs were nonstop aggroing me and I couldn't even get a combo off without being interrupted. There was a fight or to near the end of 15 where it's 1 v 1 and it actually showed the combat was pretty good but they needed to make some changes to make it worked beyond just 1 v 1.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Wow really you thought 13 and 15 were better than 16? I tried to get into 13 but my god is it a bad game. Such a basic JRPG combat system and just running down straight corridors. Then in 15 the story was bad, the combat had potential but they completely ruined it and I couldn't even stand in a mob of monsters and pull off a full combo without being hit. I remember during one fight I just kept spamming dodge because the mobs were nonstop aggroing me and I couldn't even get a combo off without being interrupted. There was a fight or to near the end of 15 where it's 1 v 1 and it actually showed the combat was pretty good but they needed to make some changes to make it worked beyond just 1 v 1.
All of them suck. The last good single player FF was 12.

bender

What time is it?
Wouldn't surprise me I guess, but I have my doubts as it probably wouldn't make financial sense without a Game Pass deal in place and I'm not sure Microsoft wants to pony up for that size of a title.

Tastes are different, but especially I liked the characters more in XIII and XV. When playing XVI ist just didn’t felt very FF like and more like a game based on game of thrones. And I never felt this FF special sauce when playing XVI, it was just an ordinary JRPG.

Sure XIII and XV are also low on my list of FF game, but I still enjoyed them more than XV.

feynoob

Banned
Why do you kids even care about deal between square and MS? Go outside and touch grass man. You are wasting time with this argument.
Get Outside GIF by First We Feast

Last edited:
Top Bottom