• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PS5 Pro to be announced next week; New First Party Games to be shown end of September

Good upscaling is not garbage. We don't know how good PSSR will be.

I ultimately do not see the PS5 Pro being a significant improvement over the PS5, much like the PS4 Pro wasn't a significant improvement over the PS4. Keep in mind that I own a PS4 Pro and most likely will eventually get a PS5 Pro.

Archie501

Neo Member
That's cool if so, but I thought they were locked to the device with encryption keys (to prevent dumping of game files).

Did you need to log into the new PS5 first or anything?
As far as i remember i setup the new PS5 first, logged in to my acc, updated etc. Then shut down the console, moved over the m.2 SSD and upon restarting it recognised everything no problem.

**Edit - Here's a youtube vid with a guy doing it.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I ultimately do not see the PS5 Pro being a significant improvement over the PS5, much like the PS4 Pro wasn't a significant improvement over the PS4. Keep in mind that I own a PS4 Pro and most likely will eventually get a PS5 Pro.

Eh....PS4 Pro was a significant improvement over PS4 my man. We went from 1080p to 4K with the Pro.

Remains to be seen how much improvement PS5 Pro brings to the table, but a lot will depend on the progress Sony makes with PSSR.

Why so negative? Just wait and see.

No, never. What am I missing out on? I am not afraid to admit that I am wrong if somebody more knowledgeable can educate me. Maybe I am not getting my money's worth after all lol...

Missing out on higher frame rates with a minor hit to image quality depending on the DLSS setting. You should try it. Set DLSS to quality and see if you see the difference between that and native.

Last edited:
All it needs to be a significant improvement now (even more in the future) is a cleaner image quality, not so many artifacts, flickering, shimmering etc that we're seeing even in the quality modes.

Stuff like fences, stairs, lights at night, etc in consoles make the image look so dirty in every game.

Eh....PS4 Pro was a significant improvement over PS4 my man. We went from 1080p to 4K with the Pro.

Remains to be seen how much improvement PS5 Pro brings to the table, but a lot will depend on the progress Sony makes with PSSR.

Missing out on higher frame rates with a minor hit to image quality depending on the DLSS setting. You should try it. Set DLSS to quality and see if you see the difference between that and native.

I am just a bitter old man who remembers the glory years of Sony (PS2) and Microsoft (360).

S0ULZB0URNE

No, never. What am I missing out on? I am not afraid to admit that I am wrong if somebody more knowledgeable can educate me. Maybe I am not getting my money's worth after all lol...
I haven't much either as I prefer native.
It is the future though and I'm curious how Sony's method compares.

I still can not wrap my head around why a PS5 Pro is even necessary, when most games being made don't even take advantage of the current hardware. Sure, as a PC owner, more powerful hardware can be nice, but nothing I've played on PS5 has made me said "man, I wish this system was more powerful".
you're just not financially comfortable enough to understand (& neither am i)...

digdug2

No, i ended up getting a second PS5 and removed the NVMe SSD from the old one and installed into the new. It recognised it without issue, no need to re-download anything. I very much doubt the PS5 pro will not be able to do the same thing.
I did the same, moved my 1TB SSD from my PS5 to my wife's so I could get a 4TB SSD. The SSD just worked in her PS5.
That's cool if so, but I thought they were locked to the device with encryption keys (to prevent dumping of game files).

Did you need to log into the new PS5 first or anything?
I logged into her PS5 because we share games/PS+. No sense in buying stuff twice since we live in the same house.

Reactions: Isa

digdug2

I highly doubt that Sony would bring a PS5 Pro to market if it wasn't a marked improvement.

bundylove

4080 by itself runs games at ZERO FPS

How much is your PC? The usual $3000?

What CPU?
This low life pc woke shit. All this gas lighting.
COmpare pc to ps5 pro or base ps5 all the time.
Yeah their gpu cost alone is r
the same as a ps5.

And the funny part? Why are these pc wankers alwaya go after ps5? Go after switch or xbox.

I can buy any pc i want. Yet i dont care.
I come home i put my kid to bed , wife sleeps so she can got to her shift and then i have a couple hours for myself. And thats twice or 3 times a week.
So all i want is to sit my ass down and turn on the tv and ps5. I want comfort , i want it simple, i want it to work , i want it at that very moment.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Good upscaling is not garbage.
sesame-street-oscar-the-grouch.gif

Hey guys and gals iam just got my account granted and wanted to show up here first.
Long time lurker who just found out that a business email is not required anymore..
If I would have that known earlier lol..
Okay like I wrote in the introduction thread. I game on PS5 and PC.
I cannot wait for PS5 Pro

Last edited:
Don't show GAAS shit !! and don't FUCKING show FAIR GAME$ !!!!!!!!!!!
First must come the Pro Announcement. And I doubt they show minor quality games at their reveal event.
Iam sure they come out firing in all cylinders.
At the event i believe they will show a new exclusive with astonishing graphics and plenty of pro patches for existing games..
It'll be glorious.

The main difference is going to be much better ray tracing on console and then improvements in up scaling technology. It will be similar to the PS4 pro games will look subtly better and perform more stabily

welshrat

As far as i remember i setup the new PS5 first, logged in to my acc, updated etc. Then shut down the console, moved over the m.2 SSD and upon restarting it recognised everything no problem.

**Edit - Here's a youtube vid with a guy doing it.

Well this is good news then, I have a 2TB drive I will want to move across

John Wick

I have a lot of interest in Playstation and invested a lot in the brand. Bought all consoles, games and merch since its inception in 94. I'm just disappointed in Sony now and the PS brand is at an all time low right now for me. It's a travesty with their current management. But go ahead and make baseless assumptions about things you don't have a fucking clue about.
I got your take straight away. You shouldn't need to jump in to justify your opinion. A lot of Sony fans are disappointed with some of Sony's recent decisions. Closing down studios, charging £10 for PS5 upgrade, GAAS push etc.
If your going to do GAAS you need experienced developers not newly formed greenbacks. Stick to what your good at and do partnerships with the right developers for GAAS.

Vick

Gold Member
Exciting. Now give me Uncharted 5
Uncharted is now like the anti-COD. It's been so long that I would be happy with even a mid-tier experience.

I just want to swing on ropes and punch and shoot and use insane grip strength to scale and destroy ancient wonders.
plus tease for Uncharted 5
Fingers crossed we’re in the good timeline again…
and a new proper Uncharted with Drake and Sully.
Major League Baseball Please GIF by Detroit Tigers

Astro Bot Uncharted level made me realize once more I need and miss Uncharted more than any other IP there is. I simply need it in my life.

Only a completely fucked up company/software house would chose NOT to make countless Uncharted adventures.. drop the pretentiousness and give us younger Drake seen in Chapter 2 of U4:

695319e6c5d67b3010b8411c656c4c50.png

And the whole damn thing just writes itself as he's a treasure hunter already at this point, you don't mess with Elena's story nor the perfect ending, you get Nolan North but especially bring back the character who saved Sony and Playstation and loved by 50 million people around the world.

Bring back Eddie for fan service, bring back the good female character which is Rika, give us Sully as companion obviously, new PS5 Pro showcasing their new heavily modified engine rendering exotic paradisiacal places, straight and imperatively untouched Straley's mechanics with their perfect responsive animations/motion matching.

H9arRiP.gif

The Edmundson legendary theme and ambient soundtrack.

And you've got THE system seller.

Major League Baseball Please GIF by Detroit Tigers

Astro Bot Uncharted level made me realize once more I need and miss Uncharted more than any other IP there is. I simply need it in my life.

Only a completely fucked up company/software house would chose NOT to make countless Uncharted adventures.. drop the pretentiousness and give us younger Drake seen in Chapter 2 of U4:

695319e6c5d67b3010b8411c656c4c50.png

And the whole damn thing just writes itself as he's a treasure hunter already at this point, you don't mess with Elena's story nor the perfect ending, you get Nolan North but especially bring back the character who saved Sony and Playstation and loved by 50 million people around the world.

Bring back Eddie for fan service, bring back the good female character which is Rika, give us Sully as companion obviously, new PS5 Pro showcasing their new heavily modified engine rendering exotic paradisiacal places, straight and imperatively untouched Straley's mechanics with their perfect responsive animations/motion matching.

H9arRiP.gif

The Edmundson legendary theme and ambient soundtrack.

And you've got THE system seller.

Agree 100% with everything you said about bringing back Uncharted in that exact way. However…….we are living in a sad society where it would be deemed Toxic Masculinity to have Drake back and revel in the limelight. Modern ND would rather give us a feminist version of Drake. Wether it be someone new or someone we have seen before. It’s crazy how far the bar has fallen and how ridiculous it seems to have to beg for what was once so great. I am not trying to be funny either. With everything that has been released pushing these types of characters and ideals lately it would be no surprise to me anymore. In a normal gaming world we would get Drake and Sully back and it would push more consoles for Sony than ever before.

It’ll be his daughter who will turn out to be a non binary lesbian or something.
An angry lesbian who now hates her father after learning of all his exploiting of ancient civilizations and their treasures. She may be involved with an environmental group as well trying to save the world while also trying to atone for the sins of her father. What an Uncharted that would be eh? How crazy does that sound? Not so much with modern day Naughty Dog under the leadership of Neil Cuckmann.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

I see people talking about 699 USD for the digital edition and being ok with it. At that price, it's DOA. PS4 Pro sold not that bad because the price was alright at release, but 699 digital and 799 standard ? No way, they'll sell less than 3 millions per year.

599 digital is the MAXIMUM they can ask for, 699 digital is madness.

Remember that Sony, even while they were walking on the water with the PS2, almost boombed at 599, that "get a second job to buy it" won't work, even for the most popular gaming brand in history. I don't think that many gamers, even the hardcore ones, are ready to pay 800$ for a console, the price gap with the "non pro" PS5 would be too big.

Radical_3d

I see people talking about 699 USD for the digital edition and being ok with it. At that price, it's DOA. PS4 Pro sold not that bad because the price was alright at release, but 699 digital and 799 standard ? No way, they'll sell less than 3 millions per year.

599 digital is the MAXIMUM they can ask for, 699 digital is madness.

Remember that Sony, even while they were walking on the water with the PS2, almost boombed at 599, that "get a second job to buy it" won't work, even for the most popular gaming brand in history. I don't think that many gamers, even the hardcore ones, are ready to pay 800$ for a console, the price gap with the "non pro" PS5 would be too big.
That was against the best Xbox ever. This is why many of us didn’t want Microsoft to flop that hard.

digdug2

Anyone think AMD stock price could jump on this?
Take Warning, I think that PS5 could be a Bombshell. The Crowd will dictate whether or not its a Vulnerability, but it's a Big City and the console could easily be a Bankshot. All these Jaded forum members keep Yellin' In My Ear about their Knowledge of this console being a failure. This Junkie's Running Dry and I'll be Smiling when it finally gets announced. Okay, I Got No more Op Ivy references.

nial

Two days to see if this was real or not. But I just noticed that he said that September 20th was possible for the SoP, and no, Sony never does them on Fridays.

As am I.

So you don't use DLSS?
I don't use FSR or XeSS either on the PC, I bought a 7900XTX to play natively at 3440x1440 with FreeSync Premium HDR on my G8 Odyssey.

Personally I'm against upscalers trend, I don't like the 'vaseline effect' on the monitors between 27-34".

SweetTooth

Gold Member
Can't wait for PSSR be amazing 95% of the time but only the 5% get talked about for the rest of the generation that's gonna be fun 🙁......
I know something for sure, PS5 Pro is going to be awesome!

It doesn't have to be a huge leap over PS5, we have PS6 for that, It just needs to give a little boost to current PS5 games to keep the enthusiasts happy while also being the testing ground for needed future tech (PSSR). All that without being a major hassle for game devs.

Sony have always been the company that test all sort of things and was way beyond anyone else in gaming.

Eye Toy
Cell processor ( most modern GPUs are based on the same parallelism ideas used in CELL)
PS2 (Victor units, unconventional but crazy powerful when used correctly)
PSP (was so ahead of anything in 2004)
PS5 I/O unit (has lots to do with PS5 keeping up and exceeding Series X performance)
PS5 SSD (they set a target exceeding the industry standard at the time so they custom made the ports the crazy hacks lol)

All these are some small samples of how Sony has tried to move the industry forward but people will still complain no matter what 😅

Last edited:
Top Bottom