• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shanw Layden (Former PlayStation CEO) on Ghost of Yotei protagonist being a female: "Don't like it? Don't buy it"

Reading this thread, I think low effort, passive aggressive bait trolling with thinly veiled extreme left positions should be a bannable offense. Wasting so much energy of fellow GAFers.

Edit: Well at least I got a couple more entries for my ignore list

Last edited:

NahaNago

im not one who supports DEI in its current form, i find it toxic, but if you see a woman, who represents 50% of gamers proven by statistics, and you yell woke? You're mentally ill.

They may not be on forums like men are, but there are a ton of them and seeing a trailer and instantly saying "woke" is loser mentality. Honestly, maybe bully's were right back in the day for making fun of gamers and after this it's also clear why women put it as the top most unattractive hobby.
I'm just not going to call someone immediately a loser or a moron if someone thinks something is woke after seeing a trailer with a female lead.

So let me get this straight you think bullying gamers in the past is right because someone thinks a game is possibly woke and who cares if a woman finds gaming as a hobby unattractive. Am I suppose to only have hobbies that are attractive to women?

Last edited:
This statement has never sunk games before.
I'am amazed anyone thinks these statements ever effect sales. It just so happens that the devs that have made these statements previously have gone on to release sub par games that weren't that desirable.

This game will likely be good and these statements won't count for Jack shit.

Remember Bobby Koticks comments before Modern Warfare 2 how everyone was gonna boycott that game!? Yeah

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I think this franchise is too big to sink.

It'll be one of the biggest sellers of 2025 and be GOTY contender.
This scene alone sold the game for me. I couldn't give two shits that the lead protagonist is a woman.

GWmRddZ.jpeg

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

I guess i gotta spell it out to it you......holy shi....smh........ Im talking about s u c k e r p u n c h. im not going to lump all of woke gaming on sucker punch over 1 trailer that shows nothing. Im not going to dig through a contractors social media to reach a conclusion about 400 employee dev. As if that this actor has any control over what this game is. Im not that paranoid. I don't care about woke, i just care if product its good or not. I can tell you what i did see, a bunch of anti woke warriors saw a female lead character. looked up the actress and i guess she she has 'woke' comments on her ig. Then anti woke mob decided the game and Sucker Punch must be woke. Bravo got'em! slow clap.
Listen, if you can’t see the bigger picture here I don’t know what to tell you. It’s a plague in society. I’m not talking about your favorite developer mr “fan”, I’m talking all big business even up to the government. Incompetent people doing jobs they aren’t qualified for. We are done here.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Lady Masako (Ghost of Tsushima):

- Lead side character, featured in the game reveal
- Middle aged, retired onna-musha
- Kills groups of mongol warriors "twice her size" with ease
- Can kick Jin's ass in a duel
- Is gay, with a lengthy sidequest dealing with her lesbian relationship

Internet: nothing woke about this game

Fake

Gold Member
Calm down. Having a female lead in your game is not going woke. Don't know how you come to that conclusion with Sucker Punch.

I don't think the problem is putting a female lead, but the actress they pick for the job.

Of all female japaneses even the most talent woman, they end up picking one thats spend 100% of the time doing activism over Twitter.

Doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

The mongols certainly weren’t invading Japan in the 1600s 🤣🤣🤣

Proving the point that much of this whole shit is driven by ignorance and gullibility

PandaOk

Neo Member
I don't think the problem is putting a female lead, but the actress they pick for the job.

Of all female japaneses even the most talent woman, they end up picking one thats spend 100% of the time doing activism over Twitter.

Doesn't make any sense.
Maybe she did well auditioning for the part?

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
Maybe she did well auditioning for the part? Crazy notion.

Crazy would be speculation about what she did to got or earn this job.

Her activism in the other hand is pretty much a fact at her social media. We have a vast material about her beliefs., with make me wonder why she accept the job if she extensively hate Hogwarts Legacy because of J.K.

Is she know Sony have a deal with Hogwarts Legacy?

Last edited:

PandaOk

Neo Member
Crazy would be speculation about what she did to got or earn this job.

Her activism in the other hand is pretty much a fact at her social media. We have a vast material about her beliefs., with make me wonder why she accept the job if she extensively hate Hogwarts Legacy because of J.K.

Is she know Sony have a deal with Hogwarts Legacy?
Practically no one is going to care that Sony, a multibillion dollar company, allowed Harry Potter to release on PlayStation to begin with, even people who spend a lot of time doing activism. Art and the artist, and even if not, why would their objection have to raise to the level of a complete boycott? Doubly so in the context of working on a completely unrelated project in a completely unrelated studio with completely unrelated values.

Last edited:
"You people"

The fuck do you mean, "you people"

??????

Your so called evidence.. lmao
Get real bro, stop being so sensitive. Triggered af 😂

I also never said I agree with the poster you quoted Im just talking about your "women find this hobby unattractive" part.

Like who gives a shit what hobbies some women find unattractive?
he does, thats why he is single.

It's always the same story with the same whinny little bitches, I guess it's the same bitches that complained about the PS5 Pro price, complained about Ellie being gay, complained about Silent Hill2 remake, and so on and on and on.
Sad Fetal Position GIF by Adult Swim
Sad Cry GIF by First We Feast

The walls are closing in on them and they can already feel it. Their hobby is leaving them behind.

Stooky

Doesn't make any sense.
what does her activism have to with her acting?

Stooky

Listen, if you can’t see the bigger picture here I don’t know what to tell you. It’s a plague in society. I’m not talking about your favorite developer mr “fan”, I’m talking all big business even up to the government. Incompetent people doing jobs they aren’t qualified for. We are done here.
the plague is people being triggered over everything. i’m from an era where we didn’t give a fuck about your personal views. we differently didn’t label everything and pick sides. not everything has to be for you. if we didn’t like something we didn’t support.

here’s the truth if the game is good nobody is going to give a fuck about an actors activist posting on their ig. that is what makes all this anti-woke shit stupid.

Last edited:

Stooky

If she wish, she can change one of her scripts quite easy dude.

And don't act like people don't mix activism into their job because those days happens a lot.
She cant just change a script on a project thats just a ridiculous statement. She reads the lines on the page thats what she is paid to do. she can make suggestions just like anyone working on that project can. Mixing activism with a job is on the company to allow. For some companies it worked great like Nike Kaprenick campaign for others it trashed the company. What changed? people stopped paying for their product.

For Sucker Punch GOY it's set 300 years after GOT and isn't based on any historical person from what I've read so I don't know why people expect it to have the same character as the first game. That alone should this end this female vs male lead bs.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For Sucker Punch GOY it's set 300 years after GOT and isn't based on any historical person from what I've read so I don't know why people expect it to have the same character as the first game. That alone should this end this female vs male lead bs.
Because people didn't read or notice the game is set in the future.

Regardless, most people's pet peeve is why the new game just cant continue the story with Jin and a new adventure.

LMJ

If the full quote from Laden is in fact, "it's a game if you don't like it don't buy it" then this sounds significantly more innocent than many are making it come off...

Kind of like if it's a show you don't like don't watch it, if it's a food you don't like don't eat it this sounds less like a direct attack and more like just a simple statement to me

Stu_Hart

Doesn't make any sense.
So how does her views affect the game? Are you in the studio working on the game? You can't separate a real life person from a fictional character?

If she wish, she can change one of her scripts quite easy dude.

And don't act like people don't mix activism into their job because those days happens a lot.
This is all I need to know about you....

Last edited:
we shall see the story leak

I bet you is woke asf, anyone saying shes just a acyor its sleeping, you have no idea hoe senstive this people are, same situation as last of us 2 super cringy and will sell shit ton i think.

Fake

Gold Member
So how does her views affect the game? Are you in the studio working on the game? You can't separate a real life person from a fictional character?

You must have avoid games like Spider-Man 2, Saint Rows 2...

Franquily are some of you even play games? Or just login into the forum, find someone you disagree and flood the person with questions?

This is all I need to know about you....

You can know about me anytime you want. There is a search button in this forum and will show every post I made.
Learn to use before make such silly claims like that.

GHound

If the full quote from Laden is in fact, "it's a game if you don't like it don't buy it" then this sounds significantly more innocent than many are making it come off...

Kind of like if it's a show you don't like don't watch it, if it's a food you don't like don't eat it this sounds less like a direct attack and more like just a simple statement to me
Not quite.

I do find things like this to be a bit funny considering he at the minimum played a role in revitalizing SCEA's barbaric censorship bullshit.

Last edited:

Wayne_B

Neo Member
As of now, I am going to buy GoY, as I haven't seen anything that raises a red flag. It's the same with GTA6. I prefer to play as male characters when given the option, as it can takes me out of the experience when playing as a Female in most cases.

Stu_Hart

You must have avoid games like Spider-Man 2, Saint Rows 2...

Franquily are some of you even play games? Or just login into the forum, find someone you disagree and flood the person with questions?

You can know about me anytime you want. There is a search button in this forum and will show every post I made.
Learn to use before make such silly claims like that.
Speaking of silly claims...what does that have to do with ghost of yotei? We don't know what the game would be like. You are the one assuming based on some voice actor's personal views on social media. As for your 2nd sentence, I could also ask if you really play games or come to the forums to whine endlessly about wokeness and beat the dead horse. I was a lurker here, and when games like black myth wukong (a game that is not affected by "wokeness" came out, all I see is people like you whining and then gloating about the game being "woke-free", bringing attention to that ign writer at every turn than actually discussing about the game for what it is. There is so much interesting lore to be discussed about the game's setting and enemies, but apparently you fake fans don't care about it. When a few people call this out because they want to discuss gaming and the discourse is drowning the gaming discussion about the game, they were labelled as a stirrers when you guys were the ones doing the stirring. It's like "you are either against me or not, screw in-betweens". Something to think about.

Last edited:

LMJ

Not quite.

I do find things like this to be a bit funny considering he at the minimum played a role in revitalizing SCEA's barbaric censorship bullshit.

LOL that seems even more innocent really, about the most non offensive way to answer it honestly

I agree with the censorship bit, that crap's got to stop, not just from Sony but all remakes etc too!

SHAKEZ

Neo Member
He's not wrong, but this isn't a good business practice in reality. These people are making choices to grow their audience after all.

Last edited:

proandrad

Let's not forget side quest that involves a dude morning his gay lover every night. Reminds me when some people that played The Last of Us part 1 didn't know Bill was gay until the HBO show.

Last edited:
I think this game will sell well because of the first game, but it will damage the brand.
Just like with Spiderman 2, if it sells, it's because people liked the first one. Time pass and nobody remembers Spiderman 2, becouse it shallow.
Sony just don't know how to do diversity well. It’s too much and poorly implemented. It doesn’t feel natural.
It seems like an important thing for the company, but if so, it feels more like a checkbox rather than something that develops naturally from the character, the story, and the events.
But in the end - time will tell.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not quite.

Years down the line when sales are tallied, it'll be interesting to see how much sales GOY compares. GOT is at 13M copies over 4 years.

Bartski

Gold Member
Let's not forget side quest that involves a dude morning his gay lover every night. Reminds me when some people that played The Last of Us part 1 didn't know Bill was gay until the HBO show.
And somehow not a single one dealing with Samurai banging their wakashu boys but I'm sure they won't miss the opportunity next time. Maybe Druckmann announces TLOU3 to un-woke Yotei in time for some much needed twitter ammo.

Top Bottom