• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake releases October 8th 2024! | State of Play

Denton

Man, the gameplay looks much better than the SoP trailer.

Looks great. Yes animations are not amazing and combat is gonna be a bit clunky, but that's on par with SH2.
Maria looks sexier now imho, that skirt she had in the original was hideous, so the whining about this I do not empathize with.
Environments look great, graphics looks great, atmosphere is on point. As long as the game is technically polished with good performance and no significant bugs, it should be a good time.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

They’re now removing the sexuality from characters who are supposed to be avatars of repressed sexuality. Thats literally Maria’s defining aspect. But we can’t have sexualised women in games, now can we? Even if removing them ruins the entire import of the character.

Fuck my old bones, video gaming is in a pathetic state, creativity wise.

Looks hotter now and less goofy. Upgrade on this example. I agree overall in most games though. This example, not so much.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

The transmission footage looks better. Silent Hill always looked kind of rough and dirty, which was the point to begin with.

Not to say I think the Remake looks good in particular, I think the models look awful. But the combat at least looks more interesting without the character becoming a RE martial artist. I just hope there isn't a lot of it, SH2 wasn't about the action.

And Sweet Baby stay the fuck away from this.

What the fuck have they done to Angela !!!!

kPf6eig.jpeg

giphy.gif

Filben

What annoyed me about this gameplay section is that you can tell the person playing is controlling the camera in a nice smooth way, and pointing it around intentionally to give a cinematic feel.
It annoys me more in first person games because it resembles nothing of how a character would look around. In a third person game you control the camera and being cinematic is kind of the point. First person, though, you're not only controlling the camera but the character simultaneously; you can't do it separable. it's so weird.

Hunter 99

In my opinion I think it looks really atmospheric,enviroments are on point and the music remains absolutely amazing which is a big thing for my experience.

The character models look weird and just off key (Angela is ruined,why don't they make them like the original?what's with the every woman has to look weird and basically unattractive in every way possible??)
I'm happy with the enemy design though!

It's been forever since silent hill has had some attention so I will be getting day 1 regardless.

I wish the character models and their facial animations (I saw a lack of emotion during the cutscenes) looked better, but overall the game looks good (they nailed the atmosphere) and it will certainly provide an interesting perspective for people who have played the original game.

Some people have compared the graphics of the SH2 remake to those of the PS3 era, but such comparisons (since when did PS3 or even PS4 use realtime GI?) only show how many people are clueless when it comes to technology and game graphics.

Vick

Gold Member
I wish the character models and their facial animations (I saw a lack of emotion during the cutscenes) looked better, but overall the game looks good (they nailed the atmosphere) and it will certainly provide an interesting perspective for people who have played the original game.
It is especially weird because, in some instances in the latter portions of the Gameplay Demo, some of James facial animations are objectively incredible.
There's an abnormal disharmony in general when it comes to animations, gameplay v cutscenes/James facial animations v every other character.

But this is true for the game itself, hard to get over such an off-putting contrast between some of the very best visuals ever seen in a game, ever, and those whole-generations-prior gameplay animations/combat.

Some people have compared the graphics of the SH2 remake to those of the PS3 era, but such comparisons (since when did PS3 or even PS4 use realtime GI?) only show how many people are clueless when it comes to technology and game graphics.
Totally agree. So far, Angela model aside, visually the game is a masterpiece.
It lacks the oppressive sense of dread characterizing SH2/SH3/SH4/P.T., but I surely would never expect a C/B Tier developer like Bloober to fully capture that in the first place as it notoriously requires exceptional amounts of expertise and certain artistic sensibilities.

Voice acting is fine, does what it needs to do and it's what, so far, I would the most consider an improvement over the original.

FeralEcho

A theory behind uglifying women like Angela and MJ from SM2 is to make them more trans friendly(easier for trans to identify with).
People and companies who think like that....I will never....NEVER understand this retarded logic. It's a fucking story...

It's the character's story not YOURS,not everything is about YOU you narcissistic cunts,when I fucking read ASOIAF I'm not Jon Snow all of a sudden just because I read his fucking story.

I don't need him to look like me. I need him to look and act in a sense that makes sense for his story,nothing more,nothing less.

People who feel the need to be represented by fictional characters have some serious deep issues that they need to resolve,they are the trainwrecks of humanity and it's pathetic and tragic that instead of resolving their issues they drag the entire world in the gutter with them because the companies and social media would rather make them feel "safe" than telling them to wake the fuck up and go see a psychiatrist to resolve that shit.

Wanting so bad to be represented by anyone but your own self and actions is a disservice to you yourself as a person. It says "I have no fucking faith in myself and I need a game,movie or book to tell me I'm special"

To these people I say:

If you need that affirmation then guess what... You ain't special.

Special people don't need people telling them they are special. They just do their own shit and let their actions speak for themselves.

/Sorry for the rant, I'm just so tired of seeing so many of my favourite franchises go to shit nowadays because of this chase for representation which is a bunch of bullshit.

FewRope

A theory behind uglifying women like Angela and MJ from SM2 is to make them more trans friendly(easier for trans to identify with).
Is just uncanny valley, when they try to make a model based on a real human usually looks like complete shit in that way. Hellblade 2 was the same, the actual actress is nowhere near ugly

kunonabi

What annoyed me about this gameplay section is that you can tell the person playing is controlling the camera in a nice smooth way, and pointing it around intentionally to give a cinematic feel. Even despite hiding the low framerate, there's something inauthentic about how that section was recorded. Obviously they are showing off the memorable parts and the new environments, but nobody plays like that! I want jerky camera movement, skittish, paranoid, corner checking schizo camera movement! Fuck you bloober!
Man, we were all wrong. Bloober team did it. Laura mugging for the camera is the most frightening thing ever seen in a SH game.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Fucking eurojank Bloober Team shit.

This is not the way, Konami.
The Medium was at least decent. The reality is that a SH2 remake was always a cursed project. It's too small to be able to be reliably sold for full price today, so it will have a lot of additional padding. And most of the strengths of the game are in its incredibly specific artistry in the faces, music, tone that are nearly impossible to recreate. Even the SH2 HD package managed to massacre a lot of the tone just with new voice work and everything else the same. Bloober really didn't have a chance on this one.

My curiosity will get the better of me and I'll pick this up when it's in the $15 range, but I don't think Bloober is terrible. Just a missmatch for this project that never was going to meet people's expectations. This is the first Bloober game with any real combat that I'm aware of, so they're getting better each game.

I bet some of the world transition stuff could be neat, since that was already neat in The Medium.

They seem to work quick too. Didn't they also do Layers of Fear? That's like 3 games in 4 years.

Last edited:
I will say that despite trashing it and having zero confidence in Blooper, as always I'd love to eat a fatass plate of crow and for this to turn out great ultimately. In no world do I not want Silent Hill to succeed but holy shit has Konami made it hard to have any confidence in ANY decision they make.

I played through The Medium so I have an extremely hard time seeing how they'll make this work well without a boot in their necks like Nintendo did for Metroid: Prime for example. It more seems like they were bargain bin low bidder and Konami will check in when it doesn't sell like RE Remakes magically.

Edit: endless typos...fucking text fingers

Last edited:

Arachnid

Looks great. Yes animations are not amazing and combat is gonna be a bit clunky, but that's on par with SH2.
Maria looks sexier now imho, that skirt she had in the original was hideous, so the whining about this I do not empathize with.
Environments look great, graphics looks great, atmosphere is on point. As long as the game is technically polished with good performance and no significant bugs, it should be a good time.
Eh, she looks more attractive to me in a classier way, but that defeats the purpose. She was supposed to have a skank stripper vibe in the original. She literally has the keys to a strip club and lets you in. IMO they should have at least kept the midriff.

Top Bottom