• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Azure J

Just wanted to take a moment out to say Ms. Fortune is like one of my favorite fighting game characters ever. I'm in training mode with the stupidest grin on my face listening to her sound bites as I get down some stuff and I can't get over her s.MP's sound clips. They're so wacky. :lol :lol :lol

GGs, it was fun but another friend wants me to play with him.

It was nice getting back the feel of how things are, even though I'm still kinda rusty and can't do my BnBs for shit :I

joe2187

Banned
GGs, it was fun but another friend wants me to play with him.

It was nice getting back the feel of how things are, even though I'm still kinda rusty and can't do my BnBs for shit :I

feels nice to play again, I kept fudging the BNB with fortune, got nervous and feral edge before I can lose the combo anyway, it was awful. :I

I recently tried to pick up Double....but I cant for the life of me get anything worthwhile with her, maybe I should actually look at some character guides.

And fuck that cerebella assist....I had to keep jumping and backdashing because I knew that shit was going to come and rape me. So salty whenever that shit happened.

Good games man.

Haha, yeah, the idea of it is to either grab you or at least try to make you move recklessly to avoid.

I want to try playing ranked, although I never know what to choose as my region since I'm from Mexico. None of the NA options apply and Mexico is in neither Central or South America so yeah :I

joe2187

Banned
Haha, yeah, the idea of it is to either grab you or at least try to make you move recklessly to avoid.

I want to try playing ranked, although I never know what to choose as my region since I'm from Mexico. None of the NA options apply and Mexico is in neither Central or South America so yeah :I

We had a really good ping (cept when I switched to Solo fortune the GGPO bugged out and became laggy for the first match)

Try West coast, I've been having good ping all day.

El Sloth

Banned

West Coast would be your best bet for good connections.

Once my Live ran out, I was secretly hoping the XBL patch would come out after the Steam version was released so I wouldn't have to suffer. I really regret buying it.

Kioshen

That was a surprisingly playable 200+ ping match.

GGs

GGPO does miracles.

Yeah GGs. I have a lot to learn lol.

What can I do after Parasouls jHP connects jumping opponent for the knockdown?

There's always sweep but we've linked to both a general Parasoul guide and Parasoul's thread at skullheart at the top of the page so you will probably find what you need there. I never really tried Parasoul yet so I don't know.

Ken

GGPO does miracles.

There's always sweep but we've linked to both a general Parasoul guide and Parasoul's thread at skullheart at the top of the page so you will probably find what you need there. I never really tried Parasoul yet so I don't know.

Post#?

Yeah GGs. I have a lot to learn lol.

What can I do after Parasouls jHP connects jumping opponent for the knockdown?

Realize that if it's just j.HP then it'll be considered a "soft" knockdown in which your opponent can tech out of the follow up combo if they're paying attention. This is indicated by the bounce after hitting the floor being blue in color. If, however, you can land an air hit before jHP then it'll be considered a hard knockdown (indicated with a red bounce) that'll give you a 100% chance to combo your opponent assuming you hadn't used an OTG in another part of the combo.

So, for example, jLP -> jHP would give you a hard, untechable, knockdown.

That said, the easiest followup would probably be something akin to -landing- LK MK MK HK -> Sniper Shot

Something simple.

Ken

Running into problems trying to update Skullgirls on the 360S in my room. It's constantly giving me the "you need content update to play online" or whatever even when I download the compatibility DLC first and then the TU. After that my menu has the option to download the full game but grayed out even though I own it. The 360 in the living room updated without any problems so I tried moving the compatibility file and Skullgirl game by USB but still no good.

Kioshen

Here's what I did :

Downloaded the game
Ran it a first time for the TU
Installed the compat pack

Works for me but I have a jasper 360 not an S.

I bought this on 360 back when it launched and I couldn't get into it. I kind of want to give it a shot again but I could use some tips. The tutorial mode wasn't particularly helpful and the main reason I put it down. People hyped it up and it turned out to suck.

Kioshen

I bought this on 360 back when it launched and I couldn't get into it. I kind of want to give it a shot again but I could use some tips. The tutorial mode wasn't particularly helpful and the main reason I put it down. People hyped it up and it turned out to suck.

Well the game changed quite a bit with the patch so that's a start. The tutorial got a text revamp with a couple of chapters more too. What kind of tips are you looking for really ? Character specific, engine specific etc.

I don't really know how to play fighters at all. I have a slight grasp of 3D fighters (SC5, DOA, VF5) but I have none with any 2D fighters and every time I try and pick one up it's just embarrassing.

El Sloth

Banned
I don't really know how to play fighters at all. I have a slight grasp of 3D fighters (SC5, DOA, VF5) but I have none with any 2D fighters and every time I try and pick one up it's just embarrassing.
I just found myself a 14-Day trial for Live, so if you'd like I would be wiling to work with you come this Sunday (going to be fairly busy today and tomorrow).

You have to sit down and really read the tutorial word for word. Pretty much all the basics for anything 2D are right in there. It's all about winning without letting yourself get hit too much.

Beckx

You have to sit down and really read the tutorial word for word. Pretty much all the basics for anything 2D are right in there. It's all about winning without letting yourself get hit too much.

How to practice the latter in most fighting games: set AI to hardest level in training mode. Concentrate on blocking (don't even bother attacking until you're comfortable blocking everything). Playing against people is different, because they will use more technique to open you up, but it's a start.

El Sloth

Banned
How to practice the latter in most fighting games: set AI to hardest level in training mode. Concentrate on blocking (don't even bother attacking until you're comfortable blocking everything). Playing against people is different, because they will use more technique to open you up, but it's a start.
And people are just more likely to troll than AI.

Will I really go for the throw after throwing you 3 times in a row? Why yes, yes I will.

Just kidding, here's my throw invincible gun move into super.

Beckx

Totally. It just gives you a place to start from.

In that vein: DO NOT give the AI unlimited meter unless you're doing it for the lulz.

Kioshen

I'll be on psn practicing stuff if anybody wanna play. I honestly suck so don't be afraid to send invites !

Edit:
Huh any Cerebella around that could validate something for me? Trying out this combo but I can't seem to complete it because of the bold part. Can't seem to land that cr.MP.

cr.LK, cr.mp, cr.hp jump
j.lk, j.HK land
cr.LK, cr.MK jump
j.MP, j.MK land
cr.mp, cr.HP jump
j.LP LP LP LP LP LP land
s.LP, s.LP, s.MK, s.HP xx qcf+LP xx qcf+PP

Edit2 :
Ohhhhhhh now I get it! I need to hit the j.mk really late so that it restands.

Pheonix03

Neo Member
Does anyone know if the single player options of Skullgirls will be expanded at any time (even in the far future), or will it mainly stay an online multiplayer focused game?

I'd understand if SG remained online multiplayer focused, but I lack the skills to really get much satisfaction out of the online multiplayer, and with the single player options being quite limited, I hope that there may be more for me to experience with the new characters in the future other than getting my ass handed to me online.

Also, I know that the new characters will be getting story modes.

Pheonix03

Neo Member
A canon story mode doesn't do much for me. While it will be interesting, it's mostly text and pictures. I meant options along the lines of a 'Vs. CPU' or 'Survival' mode, alongside improved CPU AI. The arcade mode is OK for now, but it'd be nice to choose my opponent and not have go back to the main menu when I reach Marie each time.

I know that its basically a sin to enjoy a fighter for its single player modes, so I'd understand if these options were far off or not even planned, heh.

Ken

Anyone wanna play on 360? I'm super noob. D:

A canon story mode doesn't do much for me. While it will be interesting, it's mostly text and pictures. I meant options along the lines of a 'Vs. CPU' or 'Survival' mode, alongside improved CPU AI. The arcade mode is OK for now, but it'd be nice to choose my opponent and not have go back to the main menu when I reach Marie each time.

I know that its basically a sin to enjoy a fighter for its single player modes, so I'd understand if these options were far off or not even planned, heh.

Yeah, I was looking for a VS CPU mode or a way to set training dummy to AI but couldn't find it. I have to imagine they were working under time constraints (with how movelists weren't even in the game day 1) so I'm hopeful a sequel will be more fleshed out with features you'd see in big budget titles.

alstein

It won't do much for FGC folks, but Skullgirls really is a fandom more than part of the FGC. Skullgirls would benefit from a non-fighting title in the series. This is the first and only fighter I can say I've enjoyed more for the fandom side of it than the FG side.

I'm VERY excited for the incoming change to the IPS system. The way it's setup now leads to a situation where, regardless of the normal that you use to begin the combo, it's going to do nothing to change the length and overall damage. A combo that starts from low risk light hitconfirms is going to have the same length / damage as a combo that starts from heavier attacks.

The stricter IPS being tested in Salty Cupcakes changes this notion, the beefy damage / long length that you see in every combo in the game's current format won't be seen unless the starters for post-patch combos are heavier and higher risk attacks. You'll probably only see them as hard punishes. It almost reminds me of the way older KOF games handled combos in that the majority of command normals wouldn't combo off of lights but would combo off of the heavier buttons, if you wanted the damage you needed to commit to something a bit riskier.

~~~~~~~

I know there are some Parasoul mains in here so I'd imagine this new set of practical combo videos from Keninblack is going to be extremely helpful.

Midscreen Combos
Throw Combos
Corner Combos

Yeah, I was looking for a VS CPU mode or a way to set training dummy to AI but couldn't find it. I have to imagine they were working under time constraints (with how movelists weren't even in the game day 1) so I'm hopeful a sequel will be more fleshed out with features you'd see in big budget titles.

I legitimately didn't notice this until I booted up training mode and checked, wow. Something to ask for in the PC version / Squigly-Edition. Wonder if they'll have the time to implement it.

Top Bottom