• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Kioshen

Does anyone know if the single player options of Skullgirls will be expanded at any time (even in the far future), or will it mainly stay an online multiplayer focused game?

They did poll the igg backers for that. I personally voted for an expanded tutorial, world tour mode like Alpha 3 which was awesome yet simple and another option that I don't remember right now but not canon story because it's not a long term investment to me.

I'd understand if SG remained online multiplayer focused, but I lack the skills to really get much satisfaction out of the online multiplayer, and with the single player options being quite limited, I hope that there may be more for me to experience with the new characters in the future other than getting my ass handed to me online.

Well it was surprisingly a FG made with an indie budget yet is better than most recent FG release but for sure they had to cut some things and focus on what would be better in the end. Like I said earlier they are aware of it and will probably implement some new features according to the recent poll made by Ravi.

A canon story mode doesn't do much for me. While it will be interesting, it's mostly text and pictures. I meant options along the lines of a 'Vs. CPU' or 'Survival' mode, alongside improved CPU AI. The arcade mode is OK for now, but it'd be nice to choose my opponent and not have go back to the main menu when I reach Marie each time.

I know that its basically a sin to enjoy a fighter for its single player modes, so I'd understand if these options were far off or not even planned, heh.

I don't think it's a sin but you miss out on a lot of depth. I'm honestly curious to check if there's a simple mode vs the AI. I never really bothered with it. I only did story mode for unlocking skins, use the training room and play matches online.

Yeah, I was looking for a VS CPU mode or a way to set training dummy to AI but couldn't find it. I have to imagine they were working under time constraints (with how movelists weren't even in the game day 1) so I'm hopeful a sequel will be more fleshed out with features you'd see in big budget titles.

There isn't ? Well that's surprising especially since MikeZ did fix a lot of stuff with the training room.

I'm VERY excited for the incoming change to the IPS system. The way it's setup now leads to a situation where, regardless of the normal that you use to begin the combo, it's going to do nothing to change the length and overall damage. A combo that starts from low risk light hitconfirms is going to have the same length / damage as a combo that starts from heavier attacks.

The stricter IPS being tested in Salty Cupcakes changes this notion, the beefy damage / long length that you see in every combo in the game's current format won't be seen unless the starters for post-patch combos are heavier and higher risk attacks. You'll probably only see them as hard punishes. It almost reminds me of the way older KOF games handled combos in that the majority of command normals wouldn't combo off of lights but would combo off of the heavier buttons, if you wanted the damage you needed to commit to something a bit riskier.

Did he change something else in this week's SC or did he still kept the straight to stage 5 mode ? I'm curious about the same damage regardless of starter because there's still damage scaling involved. You need to use your heavier attacks early to keep the damage up in this system still but you say it's not enough ?

I legitimately didn't notice this until I booted up training mode and checked, wow. Something to ask for in the PC version / Squigly-Edition. Wonder if they'll have the time to implement it.

Well it's not on the online to-do list for now :(. There's hope for the Big Band edition. That 360 patch made MikeZ more than late on his schedule so I think he already has enough on his plate. Maybe the PC could be modded to allow Versus AI play ?

Guess SolarPowered's quote bombs are rubbing off on people.
:p

Did he change something else in this week's SC or did he still kept the straight to stage 5 mode ? I'm curious about the same damage regardless of starter because there's still damage scaling involved. You need to use your heavier attacks early to keep the damage up in this system still but you say it's not enough ?

Nope, just referring to the straight to stage 5 mode. There IS scaling in the way you mentioned but it's not really significant enough where you'll choose not to go for an extra rep in a combo to optimize damage output. A stricter IPS represents a more active way of making that happen in a direct way.

Well it's not on the online to-do list for now :(. There's hope for the Big Band edition. That 360 patch made MikeZ more than late on his schedule so I think he already has enough on his plate. Maybe the PC could be modded to allow Versus AI play ?

Yeah, no doubt there, the guy has a tremendous amount of responsibility on his shoulder that goes beyond simply balancing the game.

El Sloth

Banned
Those IPS changes do sound pretty awesome, Disco. Although, I'm confused by something: will the combos started with the heavier attacks be longer as well as more damaging?

Guess SolarPowered's quote bombs are rubbing off on people.
:p
Attenborough: witness the niche thread's self-preservation instinct in inflating indivdual posts to appear larger than it really is as an attempt to intimidate potential predators!

A canon story mode doesn't do much for me. While it will be interesting, it's mostly text and pictures. I meant options along the lines of a 'Vs. CPU' or 'Survival' mode, alongside improved CPU AI. The arcade mode is OK for now, but it'd be nice to choose my opponent and not have go back to the main menu when I reach Marie each time.

I know that its basically a sin to enjoy a fighter for its single player modes, so I'd understand if these options were far off or not even planned, heh.
No, I agree with you. The story mode is basically just one step above arcade mode in being the lowest form of single player content possible in a fighting game; the psuedo visual novel punctuated by regular AI battles and a novel boss fight. That's not to say the story mode is uninteresting or is easy to make of course. It's just that it would be nice if there were something else, something more engaging (in the sense the player is more actively interacting with the game instead of pressing a single button to get to the next set of dialogue), but not the rote and quickly boring arcade mode. Do I know what that would or look like? No. Well, I guess something like that psuedo SRPG one of the Soul Caliburs tried is an interesting idea or Mortal Kombat's challenge mode. Or even Street Fighter x Tekken's 4 player mode, but then again that would be multiplayer content. I don't really know.

In the end, I don't like comparing the single player content in the game to other fighting games very much because the Skullgirls team is so incredibily tiny in comparison to the teams that worked on those games. Hell, Namco outsourced SCV's single player content to CyberConnect2. It's just a herculean effort to create 8 characters and fun/interesting movelists and then balancing those characters against each other, and then making the UI attractive but understanble, and so on and so forth.

I'm personally hoping the team gets a windfall of resources to do whatever the hell they want with Skullgirls 2. Which will hopefully include rad singleplayer stuff.

Those IPS changes do sound pretty awesome, Disco. Although, I'm confused by something: will the combos started with the heavier attacks be longer as well as more damaging?

I'm personally hoping the team gets a windfall of resources to do whatever the hell they want with Skullgirls 2. Which will hopefully include rad singleplayer stuff.

I can't speak for everyone in the cast because there's obviously going to be a ton of different changes hitting the pipe in terms of character's comboability and what tools they have to start and continue combos but I did do some post-patch equivalent full punish combos in training mode and compared the damage between the 2.

It's important to note that anything you see in the current game involving DHC combos and Tag combos WILL be shorter just because IPS now carries over in those two instances, regardless of the beginnings of a full punish combo you will NOT be able to do Full Combo -> DHC/Tag -> Full Combo so that already represents a hard cap on the higher end spectrum of combos currently possible in the game.

I've done some testing though, current Filia and Painwheel BnBs won't be able to complete as many reps without having to do a method of combos that involves beginning with the heaviest buttons. Here's the damage comparisons :

*Note, all "current state" combos are combos that are possible to do regardless of starter now but represent something near the epitome of combos that you'll be seeing in Squigly Edition. The only difference between "Current State" and "Post-Patch Full Punish" are the starters in order to make the combo work. Filia's Super is Fenrir Drive for the purpose of testing and Painwheel's is Deathcrawl. Remember that Deathcrawl in Squigly Edition has a shorter duration (she totally needs that damage nerf with the buff to her neutral) outside of Hatred Install so the damage won't be as high if shes not in that state.

Filia BnB in current state (crLP crLP crLK cr MK Starter) : 6665
Filia BnB in current state (crLP crLP crLK cr MK Starter) + Super : 8117
Post-Patch Full Punish (HP Launcher Starter) : 7017
Post-Patch Full Punish (HP Launcher Starter) + Super : 8479

So the first thing we notice is that the starters in their current state really don't contribute to a huge decrease in the amount of damage that you'll be seeing in the combo. In the case of Filia, starting with a Heavy versus not starting with a heavy nets you an increase of about 300-400 overall damage, not TOOO significant. I'd imagine this has a lot to do with the way her BnB is actually setup since the Airball dash cancel loops contribute a lot of extra hits to the combo regardless of what your starter is.

Painwheel BnB in current state (crLK crMK Starter) : 7210
Painwheel Bnb in current state + Death Crawl : 9008
Post-Patch Full Punish (HP Starter) : 6410 (wat)
Post-Patch Full Punish (Hp Starter) + Death Crawl : 8208 (wat)

... but then Painwheel for some reason gets more damage off of light starters. Literally all I'm changing is the first rep of the combo, I'm omitting the crLK -> crMK in the first part and doing everything else the same.

So I guess the conclusion that can be drawn from this is that some characters will have Long + Slightly More Damaging full punish combos and others will have Long and Not as Damaging full punish combos.

Science!

Beckx

I legitimately didn't notice this until I booted up training mode and checked, wow. Something to ask for in the PC version / Squigly-Edition. Wonder if they'll have the time to implement it.

Hmm, I had assumed the same thing, thus my advice above. Oh well.

Who else is maining Squigly? I'm going to try and build a team around her. She seems like the kind of character who will benefit from a projectile assist.

Kioshen

Who else is maining Squigly? I'm going to try and build a team around her. She seems like the kind of character who will benefit from a projectile assist.

I'm going to try her out for sure. She seems like a fun character but since my objective is to play team MikeZ, I'll probably have to switch it up for her.

TheOGB

Banned
The most intensive fighting game training I will undergo will be the mastering of Team Music (Squigs/Big Band/Eliza).

Moonlight

Banned
I don't think anyone's gonna pull me away from Peacock (however completely awful at her as I am), but I've fallen more in love with Squigly every time she's shown up on Salty Cupcakes. I'll get used to her or my thumbs will die trying.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
No, I agree with you. The story mode is basically just one step above arcade mode in being the lowest form of single player content possible in a fighting game; the psuedo visual novel punctuated by regular AI battles and a novel boss fight. That's not to say the story mode is uninteresting or is easy to make of course. It's just that it would be nice if there were something else, something more engaging (in the sense the player is more actively interacting with the game instead of pressing a single button to get to the next set of dialogue), but not the rote and quickly boring arcade mode. Do I know what that would or look like? No. Well, I guess something like that psuedo SRPG one of the Soul Caliburs tried is an interesting idea or Mortal Kombat's challenge mode. Or even Street Fighter x Tekken's 4 player mode, but then again that would be multiplayer content. I don't really know.
Virtua Fighter 4's Quest Mode is my all-time favorite single player mode. Go to different "arcades" each with a different cast of ranked resident AI, and you get ranked a given kyu and dan on your ability to keep up with them. It's not point grinding either, so there's real incentive to get better to get that rank up. You also unlock and collect items along the way.

Kioshen

Virtua Fighter 4's Quest Mode is my all-time favorite single player mode. Go to different "arcades" each with a different cast of ranked resident AI, and you get ranked a given kyu and dan on your ability to keep up with them. It's not point grinding either, so there's real incentive to get better to get that rank up. You also unlock and collect items along the way.

World tour A3 style would be better for a 2d game since items are harder to fit in my opinion but yeah the general idea is great!

In other selfish news, I've finally been able to complete a Cerebella bnb sequence tonight! I've replaced the j.mk by a j.HK and it gives me more time to follow it up by a cr.mp. Time to up that success rate now.

shaowebb

Anyone else thinking that using a rushdown assist like Filia's coupled with Squigly's ability to pull the opponent toward her by moving the screen will be good? Thats the first thing I want to try with that screen drag move of hers. Thinking a little fillia sonic the hedgehog action would be good there. A better tactic though might be to play Cerebella and use that screen drag as an assist to pull them into her grab range mwahahaha.

Please say that the screen drag is capable of being used as an assist.

El Sloth

Banned
Unless screen drag was the effect of a super, then it should be usable as an assist, Shao. I beleive it was confirmed as an assist during one of the Salty Cupcakes streams even. I wanna experiment with it and Peacock's zoning.
I remember someone bringing up Virtua Fighter before in one of the past "single player in fighting games" threads. It always seems to be regarded well. I need to go look up some videos on youtube to see what it looks like. How was fighting the AI in that mode different from Arcade, if at all?

Slightly off-topic, since this is about multiplayer, but I've been thinking lately about UMvC3's Hereos & Heralds mode and the sense of "community" it created with it's meta goal of dividing the player base into a Heroes faction and a Heralds faction and then having them battling it out every week so that the side that got the most wins won by the end of week were rewarded with a cool prize in return. I think exploring that idea and experimenting with a larger meta goal could lead to some potentially really fun multiplayer modes.
Wow at that Painwheel damage. Interesting that she seems to get more damage of her lights. Maybe it's cause harder for her to land a hit outside of the corner compared to the others? Thanks for the detailed breakdown, Disco! That part about the IPS rules not resetting for tagged in/DHC'd characters mid-combo sounds GREAT to me. I really really dislike having to sit through long combos no matter how cool or stylish they are. Hate just losing control of my character.

Squigly Edition is sounding pretty cool so far, Peacock nerfs and all.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I remember someone bringing up Virtua Fighter before in one of the past "single player in fighting games" threads. It always seems to be regarded well. I need to go look up some videos on youtube to see what it looks like. How was fighting the AI in that mode different from Arcade, if at all?
More idiosyncratic as they are supposed to be different virtual players with their own main. SCV has a mode close to this but without the presentation and sense of progression, as in VF you only find certain players in certain arcades and the average skill varies. Also, they challenge you rather than the other way around.

Oh, finally found the OT :D
So yeah, I love this game. I get my ass hammmered online tho, I main Filia but if it comes down to a team I use Filia, Parasoul, and Cerebella. Is any beginner up for some matches? :C

Azure J

Unless screen drag was the effect of a super, then it should be usable as an assist, Shao. I beleive it was confirmed as an assist during one of the Salty Cupcakes streams even. I wanna experiment with it and Peacock's zoning.

Ultimate theory mode is Eliza's blood pools with Squiggly's stage re-centering as an assist.

Kioshen

Anyone else thinking that using a rushdown assist like Filia's coupled with Squigly's ability to pull the opponent toward her by moving the screen will be good? Thats the first thing I want to try with that screen drag move of hers. Thinking a little fillia sonic the hedgehog action would be good there. A better tactic though might be to play Cerebella and use that screen drag as an assist to pull them into her grab range mwahahaha.

Please say that the screen drag is capable of being used as an assist.

It would be better to use a lockdown assist instead. Problem with Filia is that her assist are better to create space than locking down. The only thing she has to do that AFAIK is cr.MK and the opponent can just jump over it (probably since we don't know if her screen move freezes the opponent's movement). If you want to use Cerebella I would use her Ceracopter move instead but I'm already in love with it so I'm biased. Valentine's Izuna drop would probably be better in this case for a grab in my opinion.

I'm curious if Squigs would really take advantage of lockdown mixups because she lost her airdash if I remember correctly.

Any 360 players want to play with a super beginner?

Missed your post but I next time I'll do some rounds with ya !

Oh, finally found the OT :D
So yeah, I love this game. I get my ass hammmered online tho, I main Filia but if it comes down to a team I use Filia, Parasoul, and Cerebella. Is any beginner up for some matches? :C

I was but when you posted I was long asleep. Just add me on psn (Kioshen) and next time you see me online just send an invite !

Ken

Missed your post but I next time I'll do some rounds with ya !

I was but when you posted I was long asleep. Just add me on psn (Kioshen) and next time you see me online just send an invite !

I really should just buy the game again on the PS3; seems to be more populated than 360. I just need a PS3 stick.

El Sloth

Banned
I'll play you today if you'd like, Ken. My Peacock is pretty rusty so it shouldn't be a problem and I do want to spend some time learning Double and Parasoul.

I might be a little preoccupied later watching ECT though.
More idiosyncratic as they are supposed to be different virtual players with their own main. SCV has a mode close to this but without the presentation and sense of progression, as in VF you only find certain players in certain arcades and the average skill varies. Also, they challenge you rather than the other way around.
Ooooooh, now I understand a littke better I think. I remember the AI characters in SCV, that I think they released more DLC for at one point, where I guess they recorded real players playing for a long time and then had the AI imitate them. Those were pretty cool I thought! Yeah, now I get it; that VF4 mode does sound like it'd be fun.

Ken

I'm going to sleep so maybe in...8 hours lol. Feel free to add me though. Gamer tag is Capcpom.

As a caveat, I get 170 ping to my West Coast friend so latency might be an issue.

NEO0MJ

We were able to have not-horrible P4A matches, with GGPO it might be even better. I should be on early am EST this week so if I see you I'll send you an invite. I am so terrible it's criminal.

I didn't have much time to play in in the last few months but the online is excellent, I've had good matches with Disco Shark before and I'm in the middle east!

Kioshen

We were able to have not-horrible P4A matches, with GGPO it might be even better. I should be on early am EST this week so if I see you I'll send you an invite. I am so terrible it's criminal.

*cough cough* P4A is GGPO powered too *cough*

Great stream, thoroughly enjoyed watching it. I was actually surprised about how many people preferred Undizzy over a stricter IPS though, yuck. The stream commentators had a point about IPS affecting some characters more than others but on the Cerebella front you only really need to make a select few changes before it becomes a non-issue. Oh well.

Edit: lol Cisco arguing that he's the reason that Mike nerfed Peacock.

Yeah ... odd fellow.

So, usually in my Fillia/Cerebella team I use Diamond Drop as an assist, but today I've been experimenting with Cerecopter and Lock and Loaded (H) and they're actually a good fit for the team too. Of those 3 assists which do you guys think fits with Fillia the best?

It's not. ASW netcode allows the game speed to slow down, while GGPO does everything it can to lock it.

Seriously, Arc netcode is good, but not as great as GGPO. If anyone wants proof try playing Ken in P4A and then in Skullgirls to see the difference :V

How good is the tutorial ? Will it help me get better at other fighting games ??

Just because of the fact that it teaches you actual fundamentals I'd say that it's the best tutorial in a 2d fighter yet.

El Sloth

Banned
lol

Ken, would you like to try one more time? I'll try adjusting the frame delay and see if that helps.
How good is the tutorial ? Will it help me get better at other fighting games ??
It's tough to say. I'd like to think so? But I learned how to play through SSIV and am a fan of this game so I'm not too sure if I can say honestly.

Edit: I'm no Fillia player, Solarknight, but I'd go with Ceracopter.

Ken

lol

Ken, would you like to try one more time? I'll try adjusting the frame delay amd see if that helps.

It's tough to say. I'd like to think so? But I learned how to play through SSIV and am a fan of this game so I'm not too sure if I can say honestly.

If you reaaallly want to. Hopping back on.

Top Bottom