• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 15: Two Guys Play

I only got a bit into Zexal, but it was more aimed at kids and selling cards than any before it.

Duelist Kingdom on the island was the first arc and the reason it didn't follow the rules that the actual cardgame did was because it was written before there was one. Battle City was the second arc and followed the rules a little more closely and there was actually some clever shit.
Huh. Didn't know about that. I stopped watching after kingdom cause yugioh was already getting lame at that point around where I grew up.

sjay1994

You guys remember dungeon dice monsters?

Dimensioned_Dice.jpg

That really took off.

zennyzz

I liked Yugioh back when zero fucks were given about game rules.

Led to some really dumb shit, and that's the best part of the series. Easily.

Huh. Didn't know about that. I stopped watching after kingdom cause yugioh was already getting lame at that point around where I grew up.

Yugioh actually started as a super fucked up creepy manga about a kid with an evil ghost who takes over his body and challenges people to death games. There were serial killers getting burned alive. Mindrapings. Near death every chapter. It was crazy. Then one chapter, Kaiba showed up and they played Duel Monsters. That chapter was the most popular one by a mile, so when ratings were dropping, the creator changed it to just be the cardgame. Similar to how other comedy series make the turn to action to save ratings, they made the change to cardgames. Because kids love cardgames.

Yugioh actually started as a super fucked up creepy manga about a kid with an evil ghost who takes over his body and challenges people to death games. There were serial killers getting burned alive. Mindrapings. Near death every chapter. It was crazy. Then one chapter, Kaiba showed up and they played Duel Monsters. That chapter was the most popular one by a mile, so when ratings were dropping, the creator changed it to just be the cardgame. Similar to how other comedy series make the turn to action to save ratings, they made the change to cardgames. Because kids love cardgames.
Jesus, that sounds waaay better than the yugioh we got. How the hell did that get retconned away?

Rizzi

Okay, I want that version of Yugioh.

Pokemon has too much monopoly. It is literally unchallenged to this day.

Digimon is nothing like pokemon, and it was still considered a rip off.

Digimon was a better show.

Pokemon designs were much more pleasant to the eye, and the games were easier to get into.

Also, Pokemon was better at selling it's product.

sjay1994

In the anime it wasn't canon. There was a season 0 before it, but the anime in general just started fresh.

That fucked up stuff is still canon in the manga we got here. It's weird how they shift tones so dramatically.

aQ0hC3a.gif

I've never seen summer wars, but apparently its just "our war game"

zennyzz

Digimon is probably the best example of a competitor being overshadowed by their rival and coloring the public's perception since the days of the old Rail Road and Oil Tycoons of late 1800s and early 1900s

Digimon World 3 was the greatest.

Top Bottom