• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 15: Two Guys Play

360pages

One thing I think Revengance could have used is a Bloody Palace type area. Considering that I didn't really like the VR missions in that game.

croten

One thing I think Revengance could have used is a Bloody Palace type area. Considering that I didn't really like the VR missions in that game.

Every character action game should have a bloody palace type mode. DMC4's is perfect and is the reason I can overlook the poor level design and pacing issues.

You can't say anything because none of us knows anything about their production pipeline besides vague generalities. Shit always looks simple and easy from the outside.

I understand that. I can only go by comparing them to what other similar channels do with their content.

I don't think I'm saying anything that's radical here.

360pages

I can't really see what's so offensive about Haruhi. Granted, the title character is a shit, but that's kinda the point.

You'd be surprised how much people dislike unlikable main leads even if they do grow slightly.

Which is why we do end up just getting likable/cool characters where people don't have to wait long.

I don't care how good Shinon is, my love for Rolf is like a truck.
Because he's a 10-year old who goes BESERRRRKERRRRR

The player Laguz in general are super-fucked in RD compared to to PoR because they all start at 0 now. Which makes the Laguz Lords that much more crazy.

I remember Meg too, if only for one of the worst writing decisions I've ever seen.
She falls in love with Zihark and it's implied they marry. Egh.

Now the real question is who remembers Fiona? Or Kyza and Lyre?

You know who I do remember? Heather, and how great she is. And how bullshit it is that you'll never be able to take full advantage of her as a Whisperer because
Sothe is forced on you at every point in the game.

I just realize it doesn't matter who you bring to the end since the Royal Laguz can pretty much carry you all the way through to the end. But wheres the fun in that.
I want to forget everything about Meg and oh geez Fiona, i truly did forget about her. Only thing useful about her is the Imbue skill you can snag off her. I remember Kyza and Lyre just fine since I remember doing a Laguz only run before.
There's nothing wrong with having 2 Whispers, have Sothe stay back like the majority of the game and let her free.
You've rekindled the fire in my heart to replay Radiant Dawn

sjay1994

Bastard! Pat do you remember all the persona lies you've told?

4CKC2Dq.jpg

"Can you recall every loaf of bread you've had in your life?"

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

You'd be surprised how much people dislike unlikable main leads even if they do grow slightly.

Which is why we do end up just getting likable/cool characters where people don't have to wait long.

Haruhi isn't the lead. Kyon is. And for the type of character that he is, a neutral observer, he fits it well.

Also, I don't like cool guy/awesome from the start protags. It's a really lazy way to make me care about you character.

360pages

Please don't try to insinuate that I'm one of these people. For fucks sake, I continuously defend the likes of Yukari. I don't mind unlikable characters, but Haruhi really, really, really rubbed me the wrong way and her tiny amount of growth didn't change anything about that.

Not saying that about you, mostly just how writing is as a whole. People don't really like waiting for their characters to grow much... I can speak from experience.

Xiraiya

In other news, Xenoverse is awesome, and now that I have Windows 7 on my 8 year old PC, it runs at 60 frames at all times, so does Life Is Strange actually.

360pages

In other news, Xenoverse is awesome, and now that I have Windows 7 on my 8 year old PC, runs at 60 frames at all times, so does Life Is Strange actually.

Probably going to get the lame PS3 version for my broke ass.

Speaking of that, got to work tomorrow.

Ilvocare

I just realize it doesn't matter who you bring to the end since the Royal Laguz can pretty much carry you all the way through to the end. But wheres the fun in that.
I want to forget everything about Meg and oh geez Fiona, i truly did forget about her. Only thing useful about her is the Imbue skill you can snag off her. I remember Kyza and Lyre just fine since I remember doing a Laguz only run before.
There's nothing wrong with having 2 Whispers, have Sothe stay back like the majority of the game and let her free.
You've rekindled the fire in my heart to replay Radiant Dawn

But with Volke and Sothe, Heather is hyper-redundant. Which wouldn't be a problem if you could just switch him out for her but ooooops

Dammit I wish I could do that for other FE games that I hold closer. If you're planning on doing that, I assume you have transferral data from PoR to use? And that the card that you use to transfer has absolutely no Easy mode data from PoR on it? Because if you do have Easy mode data on that GC card then RD just fucking crashes.

Xiraiya

Probably going to get the lame PS3 version for my broke ass.
Speaking of that, got to work tomorrow.

My only gripe really is there are not quite enough hair options and I wish there was more than 1 starting outfit, I find it kind of weird the pure Saiyans don't start in shitty battle armor and basically dress like Goku, when all the other races are very appropriately dressed.
I wanted my character to have SSJ4 Goku's hairstyle as his default hair as it's very saiyan'ish.

360pages

My only gripe really is there are not quite enough hair options and I wish there was more than 1 starting outfit, I find it kind of weird the pure Saiyans don't start in shitty battle armor and basically dress like Goku, when all the other races are very appropriately dressed.

I'm happy there is at least 10 hair options. Playing Dragon Quest 9, and its shit character creator. Make me happy for Xenoverse.

Also, probably going to be a Namekin on my first playthough. I also wish Male Majins had the option for Super Buu/ Kid Buu body type, but it's fine since I can just make a Female Majin.

Not saying that about you, mostly just how writing is as a whole. People don't really like waiting for their characters to grow much... I can speak from experience.

For me, character development and the process of waiting for it to happen also depends on the medium. I think I'm more tolerant of it in something like a long video game/visual novel where I know I'm gonna be in for a long grind so I'm a lot more tolerant of waiting for characters to grow. That's why characters from VNs like Emiya Shirou from Fate/Stay Night and Shirogane Takeru from Muv Luv Alternative are probably my favorite characters in any medium.

Xiraiya

I'm happy there is at least 10 hair options. Playing Dragon Quest 9, and its shit character creator. Make me happy for Xenoverse.

Also, probably going to be a Namekin on my first playthough. I also wish Male Majins had the option for Super Buu/ Kid Buu body type, but it's fine since I can just make a Female Majin.
It's better than nothing, but since some of the hairstyles are very clearly from existing characters, like one is shaggy yamcha and another is teen Gohan AND Adult Gohan, at that point just put every hairstyle from every character in, at the very least don't leave.

Goku's hairstyle in DB Lore is a surprisingly common style among saiyans.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
In this Christian Nonviolence class I have to take I may have to picket on a highway overpass against war or hand out leaflets at our mall against some other issue.

This is going to blow, picketing is a really annoying way to cause change IMO.

croten

I wanted my character to have SSJ4 Goku's hairstyle as his default hair as it's very saiyan'ish.

Considering your character comes into existence 100 after the events in the series it would make sense that they were more average clothes rather than battle armour, which you can get very early in game.

Shackzam

In this Christian Nonviolence class I have to take I may have to picket on a highway overpass against war or hand out leaflets at our mall against some other issue.

Make a benoit sign to entertain yourself.

joe2187

Banned

What?

Xiraiya

Considering your character comes into existence 100 after the events in the series it would make sense that they were more average clothes rather than battle armour, which you can get very early in game.

Do they ever tell you where your character comes from? It seemed like you're pulled from an unknown time from either an alternate past or the future, but I do get your logic and that was a thought I had too.

joe2187

Banned
I need to stop accepting free steaks from my job. They keep giving me free sampler chuck and prime cuts of meat.

I've been eating nothing but beef and big ass steaks all week long.

But with Volke and Sothe, Heather is hyper-redundant. Which wouldn't be a problem if you could just switch him out for her but ooooops

Dammit I wish I could do that for other FE games that I hold closer. If you're planning on doing that, I assume you have transferral data from PoR to use? And that the card that you use to transfer has absolutely no Easy mode data from PoR on it? Because if you do have Easy mode data on that GC card then RD just fucking crashes.

I never owned PoR, by the time I wanted to play it, it was already too late. The price was already well over £100 on ebay. But I didn't know about the Memory card crash thing.

croten

Do they ever tell you where your character comes from? It seemed like you're pulled from an unknown time from either an alternate past or the future, but I do get your logic and that was a thought I had too.

I assume your character comes from that timeline anyway, so far they haven't even hinted at your character being important or special in anyway so I assume there won't be any explanation. The reason I assume you come 100 years post DBZ is that you create a Majin character and that race only existed long after the events of the series if I recall. The lack of interesting hair styles is shit though, no real excuse there.

Lol looks like I bypassed some bullshit on PSN and bought it a little too early so I probably wont be able to play it for about half an hour when shit updates

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Of course. It's why characters such as (personal, limited example) Kamina and Satsuki generally dominate popularity polls over their more multifaceted counterparts. General and quick likability and style, regardless of the severe lack of growth as a character, goes a long way. Hell, even we're guilty of that from time to time and that's fine, really. It'd only be a huge shame if we only got such characters as the result of said popularity. And to be honest, I wouldn't say this is always the case by any means.

The problem for me with Haruhi was that I didn't like the setting of the show one bit. Nothing about that show was pulling me in and when I had to deal with the piece of garbage named Haruhi, the disgustingly passive and neutral Kyon and the "I only exist so that people can fondle my tits on screen and I can be all kyaaaah!" airhead, I had to stop watching. It was definitely not for me and the small amount of growth Haruhi went through was not altering my enjoyment, or lack thereof, of the show.
Theres a certain category of show where I just say, "Fuck it, this is dumb fun" and just accept everything that happens as long as it doesn't break the mold they have set for themselves in terms of worldbuilding and characterisation. Haruhi did that. It didn't have much change (until the Disappearance) and that was fine by me.

I'm watching Hyouka right now, and it's Haruhi with mysteries and characterisation so far, with a more down to earth and realistic plot, and less ridiculousness happens. The show replaces the ridiculousness and imaginativeness of Haruhi with surreality and good writing.

Make a benoit sign to entertain yourself.
Will do.
I know, right?

Top Bottom