• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

croten

Was this posted yet?
r_dsc0180.jpg
P-Man, Platinum's new mascot!

SMT IV progress report:
Beat
Medusa
last night, died once because my team was half dead and barely had mana, wasn't that hard. Then story stuff happened.

It's funny because I know more than the main characters but I'm still really confused about why the world is like it is(being vague so I don't spoil anything).
I was pleasantly surprised that we can use guns though.

Xiraiya

My past experience with R* is that I would go to a friends house, see he had a GTA game on a PS2. He would let me play it for a bit, I would enter the cheat code for a tank, blow things up for a bit and then get bored. I didn't think much of them.

Then RDR was coming out, and it looked interesting, so I bought it and really liked it. RDR is probably in my top games from last gen.

I then played Max Payne 3 and GTAV... and god those games suck.

Max Payne is constantly throwing action in your face, and is constantly making you watch cutscenes for a shitty fucking story. My friend who loves the first 2 max payne games fucking despises 3. He showed me a video of how Rockstar ruined Max's character, from being a cool noire cop, to some incompetent bum because of Rockstars abhorent need to make stories about the "hypocracy of america and the rich"

GTA V just feels fucking awful to play. The very act of moving your character just feels fucking awful. The mission design is fire and forget with stupid mini games being shoved down your throat in most of them. GTA V is probably the least enjoyable sandbox game I ever played. It feels like a bloated amalgom of fucking garbage.

Its obviously a case of different strokes because millions of people love these games.... but holy fucking shit, imo its fucking trash.

I haven't had the chance to play GTA V as of yet but yet everything I've watched about it has been super promising, the visuals, the voice acting and character interactions (Which do somehow seem better than they have any right to be), everything, so who knows maybe I'll agree it plays terribly, and as for the old GTA games, I had a similar mentality as a kid, jump in and play around until you get bored, then one day I was like "You know I'd like to see what these games are actually about" and got a pleasant surprise with how the stories went, they weren't anything mindblowing, but just overall a good time.

San Andreas is by far the best GTA game to date on every level when you look at the time that it came out in. I know GB didn't care for it's character building RPG stuff but well that's their fault for becoming game reviewers and letting their souls die.

I haven't played Max Payne and don't have a real interest in doing so, I have really wanted to play Red Dead Redemption however, and I know that Bully, GTA, and RDR all exist in the same universe together (Hence why they all have those same tells in humor).

So if you don't really enjoy Rockstars satire/ comical exaggeration of American culture then it's as you say, different strokes. Personally I find the effort and detail they put into that stuff really entertaining, which is saying a lot for me as I find that kind of stuff get's really stupid and not funny very easily in a lot of games/movies

I am more curious to see how GTA V plays as that seems to be your biggest gripe.

croten

Happy Bursday!
Only click this if you want to be spoiled/have played Silent Hill 3

This looks kinda like the Vanquish suit but with a helmet that makes sense and a better color scheme.
Also that's fucking amazing. If Scalebound is Monster Hunter, then that'd better be an armor set.

Speaking of MH3, it finished downloading

Xiraiya

It's definitely not for everyone but Rockstars attention to detail rivals Kojima

I find I don't agree with you often, but you sir are correct. I'm pretty sure I've had that exact thought on multiple occasions, it just means they REALLY care about their games, which will always make a game better than it otherwise would be.

JoJo94

SMT IV progress report:
Beat
Medusa
last night, died once because my team was half dead and barely had mana, wasn't that hard. Then story stuff happened.

It's funny because I know more than the main characters but I'm still really confused about why the world is like it is(being vague so I don't spoil anything).
I was pleasantly surprised that we can use guns though.

Yeah your now at the part when the game gets a lot better/ more annoying because of the map.

Created a room
This is the same problem as with Smash :/. I think it's that between our connections we have little half second dips that prevent us from connecting to eachother specifically.

Note that even if we don't get this to work, I'm going back to dorms in a little over a week, so there I should have a way more stable connection.

Just like with Smash, I can play with randoms, just not you. So it's something between us.

Over the past few two months i have worked my way through the Hajime No Ippo anime, and absolutely loved it. Finished Rising last night and those feels at the end of the last arc was great. I am deeply saddened that i have finished with the anime because i feel as if i go to the manga now, i won't like it as much.

Just woke up. Happy birthday Arch. Gonna remind people of this.
Just gonna post this again for this who haven't seen.

I'm doing an Ultimax/Smash Tournament thing for fun. Quote to reveal doc with rules/details. Sign ups end 27th around 3PM PST

We'll start after everyone is in and I send people their opponents. If you anyone could repost it from time to time just in case someone hasn't seen I'd be really grateful.

Top Bottom