• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

Funimation is already making money of DBZA. It's keeping interest in the series alive, so it's probably helping their DVD and Blu-Ray sales. Probably the only reason that them and Fuji TV haven't shut the guys down.

Part of me imagines that there's probably some legal reasons why Funimation can't buy TeamFourStar and DBZA after the fact.
I've easily spent several hundred dollars on the series as a result of Team Four Star rekindling my interest. I need to throw a few bucks towards the right guys that deserve the money.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It is rather amuzing how they mention they can't legally make money off animation dubs and then mention they can legally make money off gaming dubs.
Just a random observation.

A little apples and oranges, but copyright infringement is definitely a very, very blurry line. The fact that Let's Plays are allowed to be monetized is more about social acceptance than anything else.

Cheerilee

It is rather amuzing how they mention they can't legally make money off animation dubs and then mention they can legally make money off gaming dubs.

DBZ is a linear story. A videogame is ostensibly a "playground", and no two paths through it are ever the same (which is not really true, because videogames generally suck at their job, but whatever).

Edit: I think they also said they're not willing to make money off DBZ.

Link Man

Banned

And what of selling merchandise promoting a brand based on another intellectual property?

And what of selling merchandise promoting a brand based on another intellectual property?

A murky swamp of law. If your unlucky, the rights holder has a trademark and everything (patent, that sort of thing) and will sue the fuck out of you.

If your lucky, the rights holder never finds out or considers it 'different enough' to be considered your work. Fan art and covers are always 'own work' btw, although the characters used might be trademarked.

I mean, up until very recently I had no idea the rights of Marvel Mutants, Fantastic Four and so on, are all owned by Fox at this time ("one hell of a post" .. :D ) . Which is a real bummer. One thing worth nothing is the concept of say, Superwoman, which DC has made into a single issue for the sake of owning the name and character build.

I don't really buy the 'view versus play' argument, since there is no difference in terms of law. But it is true that a movie is 'viewed' (once) and a game is 'played' (often more than once) and people might still find the product valuable after viewing its content. Even if that leads the game industry to allow it, it's still a murky business because they usually don't own the content used to make the game either (licensed!). You are just as likely to have your youtube movies removed on the ground of music, as you would be on the ground of the complete game or the use of a certain picture or video material in the game that you show. For instance: cutscenes tend to make by another company, meaning they have a claim to your video if you show (CG) cutscenes, even if the publisher of the game allows you to place them without consequence.

In the end, it's really just a matter of "are you being trolled?". No better way to say it really.
(the same goes for the opposite scenario of copyright infringement or downright copying in China though, against which the right holder is quite powerless. Which is a real problem if you have a small company and no funds to sue)

As for DBA and monetizing, I think it's actually quite fair to allow them to monetize it under a sharing-agreement with the rights holder. Which is because I'm now not only viewing their material again (which is rare, by the 'view' argument), but because it makes me more likely to actually buy the original product or related ones. That said, the right situation for DBZ is complicated and so far the owners have been 'good sports'. But the problem, to me anyway, is that they hold the ability to revoke their 'unsaid blessing' at any time. A written agreement or even monetizing, has the benefit of making things far less awkward. But that has other problems, like Toei tying its own company name (brand) to some jokes that might not fit with their image. So yeah, murky. :p

I suppose video games being 'ludic' also has less social costs in terms of image. I mean: I sure as shit wouldn't want to have PewDiePie anywhere near my brand, if I had any. But nobody connects them in that manner anyway, it would seem. I suppose that's also a reason the game industry has less problems with monetizing. So not so much 'play', but rather the reduction in social cost to their brands as an argument.

Sorry for being so lengthy. But this stuff is interesting social behavior, imo. :)

That episode was fucking brilliant!

18's voice was spot on and sexy as hell!

"Why was Dr. Gero here?"

":O"

"Who dat?"

"YOU FUCKING FAILURE!!"

OMFG
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Everything related to Bulma and Vegeta being Trunks' parents was hilarious. Krillin laughing at Bulma especially.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
their voices seems to be early 2000's tude instead of late 80's early 90's tude for the androids, hilarious episode as always.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I liked when Dr. Gero called Krillin Tien.

Also, is it just me or did they stop censoring the word "shit".

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The androids are as great as we all hoped.

Love the questioning of how Gero made himself an android. And the references to Wheelo. I wonder if they plan to go back and re-abridge that one too.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
When Trunks first showed up a few episodes ago, she remarked on how hot he is.

It was a little more than that. Here's a transcript of that.

Bulma: So hey, like just gonna throw this out there. You're really cute.
Trunks: Well, you know, my mom always said I was a cute kid.
Bulma: Oh a momma's boy huh? I'll be your mommy. *winks*
Trunks: (thinking) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

Top Bottom