• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

The dub has been using the unique laughs for a while. I think they got flack for not including Arlong's so they've done all of them since (including the giants on Little Garden).

That's probably it. I bought the first few DVD sets but at 14 episodes a set at $30 a pop for a series well into the 700+ range, I've been putting off on buying more until better sets came out so I haven't been following the dub. That's why I remember that Arlong, Crocodile, Blackbeard (at Jaya) and Enel didn't have their laughs.

This clip reminded me that they started doing the laughs since at least Thriller Bark.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I am loving Perfect Cell. The rest of the arc is going to be amazing. Perfectly timed Street Fighter references too.
Who caught the reference to the German dub? That was hilarious.

Kalentan

You know... I got a feeling that by the time Adult Gohan comes around, he's not going to hold hatred nor contempt for his father.

Just a feeling based on how the abridged has been progressing. Like, I think Gohan is going to kind of lash out at Goku, but that will be the peak and everything will mellow out after that.

Can't wait for episode 53!

You know... I got a feeling that by the time Adult Gohan comes around, he's not going to hold hatred nor contempt for his father.

Just a feeling based on how the abridged has been progressing. Like, I think Gohan is going to kind of lash out at Goku, but that will be the peak and everything will mellow out after that.

Can't wait for episode 53!

Yeah. It surprised me that his repressed (sort of) anger against Goku wasn't the key to becoming a super saiyan. As great as that running joke is, the end of the Cell saga could be the last of it. Gohan coming to accept Goku for who is, acknowledges how similar they are, blames himself for Goku's death, something along those lines to lead into the great saiyaman.

jman2050

Yeah. It surprised me that his repressed (sort of) anger against Goku wasn't the key to becoming a super saiyan. As great as that running joke is, the end of the Cell saga could be the last of it. Gohan coming to accept Goku for who is, acknowledges how similar they are, blames himself for Goku's death, something along those lines to lead into the great saiyaman.

The whole running joke is very obviously a buildup to Goku throwing Gohan to the wolves against Cell and him going SSJ2, so there isn't really a reason to continue it after that.

Was that a Freeza callback with 'A volunteer' ( "-eer -eer -eer -eer dead man" ) and about Vegeta's father?

oh shit, they're going to have Piccollo's 'he's deeeeead!' have him talking about how gohan still cannot doooooooodge, aren't they.

edit: also, considering Goku is going to be dead for seven years, I would be surprised if they even recognized each other after that. Or maybe Gohan can finally return Goku that 'hey' cold shoulder. Wonder if they're going to play Ghost of Tommorrow straight though, since that is the next episode and the last Trunks focused one.

LordAlu

I knew this episode would be gold when I saw this

3SlWarV.png

Also Goku singing the Kai theme with his own words when he gets food out of the fridge :D

Sheroking

I'm so happy they included a version of Faulconer's theme.

Say what you will about his work as a whole on DBZ, that scene is a million times better for it's inclusion.

Varna

Definitely the best episode in a while. Was wondering how they would handle Gohan turning SS and they did not disappoint.

NateDrake

I guess that's a reference to the actual scene? I remember seeing a clip of the German dub where suddenly Cell says in English: "OH SHIT!"

Yeah, the German dub Cell says "Oh shit!". US dub was something along the lines of "What's this?" then in DBZ Kai it was "Oh no!".

Toxi

Banned
Is it just me or was the original anime footage used for this episode rough as hell in the animation department? I saw lots of wonky shots.

Savitar

Is it just me or was the original anime footage used for this episode rough as hell in the animation department? I saw lots of wonky shots.

That's how you know it's the B animation department team. Yes, it existed before Super but nostalgia.

Damn I forgot where I last left off, so I watched the last 6 episodes (luckily I remembered where I left off in one of them) and oh boy did I enjoy it. Best line was semi-perfect cell monologuing to himself in the beginning of episode 49, "And then triclops shows up and decides, 'I'm just gonna turn triangles into fucking squares!'"

Episode 52 was also good, perfect cell's abridged VA is great.

Top Bottom