• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I've been watching a lot of local improv comedy with small groups of comedians competing and I think I prefer that format a lot of the time. Obviously it will still have people using pre-written material but it adds a level of unpredictability that can be REALLY funny at times. Just saw a group from Chicago called "Baby Wants Candy" who basically have to improvise a musical based on an audience shouted title. The title for the one I saw was called "Tandem Bikes and Drunken Nights".

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
RNGesus saves.
PrO30EQ.png

Was sneaking up on a group of armored floaters, and moved one tile to many. Activated another group of floaters, a Cyberdisc w/2 drones, and a mechtroid with 2/drones.
Oi4NSuy.png

Most of my soldiers were out of turns and all flanked. Moved my assault behind a bookshelf, the overwatch missed. My PSYgod sniper used the forcefield and nobody took damage.

Brought the W home with no losses.

Mumei

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...ciology_and_history_professors_teach_the.html

For example, Chicago organizer and educator Mariame Kaba has posted a full set of interactive lesson plans on her blog Prison Culture. There’s also Chatelain’s original Ferguson syllabus, this real-time Tumblr compilation, the spectacular reporting of Slate’s own Jamelle Bouie, Ta-Nehisi Coates’ magisterial history of redlining, Brittney Cooper’s rigorous work in Salon, Aphrodite Kocieda’s takedown of the “fatherless men” trope, Sarah Kendzior’s in-depth analysis from St. Louis, and these blogs by the Crunk Feminist Collective and Black Girl Dangerous. I would even go so far as to say the Ferguson syllabus should be required reading for all of us—yes, even those who support Darren Wilson, the police officer who shot and killed Michael Brown, and who, indeed, is just as much a product of this redlined region as Brown was.

Lots of good links in that paragraph (at the link; I'm too busy at work to remake them on GAF right now!)

RNGesus saves.
PrO30EQ.png

Was sneaking up on a group of armored floaters, and moved one tile to many. Activated another group of floaters, a Cyberdisc w/2 drones, and a mechtroid with 2/drones.
Oi4NSuy.png

Most of my soldiers were out of turns and all flanked. Moved my assault behind a bookshelf, the overwatch missed. My PSYgod sniper used the forcefield and nobody took damage.

Brought the W home with no losses.

So good.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
TFW you say goodbye to someone but keep walking the same direction, silently
I had that last night while walking back to the car. Said goodbye but then both our cars were apparently in the same general direction. I didn't know when to branch off so I felt like I was following awkwardly in silence.

Where you're from - Dubai, UAE
Where you live - Canada
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Sudanese...mostly.
Do you know your roots - Yes
Your Age - Mid-20s
Favorite musical genre- chillstep/folk
Your profession/major/career interest - Helping people
Your religious affiliation - Muslim
Hobbies - Hating

Video Soul was my shit...but my favorite back in the day were dem x rated videos they showed after dark...don't act like I was the only one watching that shit back in the day

Slayven

Where you live - Canada
Your Age - Mid-20s
Hobbies - Hating

Welcome, feel free to hate on Jandro.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Where you live - Canada
Your Age - Mid-20s
Hobbies - Hating
Yea! Welcome Spark. I see you and JC share similar hobbies.

What is a good example of chillstep?

I've been getting into Flume remixes lately, Pretty Lights, Chrome Sparks (No Relation), Flight Facilities, and some Cashmere Cat. M|O|O|N is awesome too.

I mix it up with Florence + The Machine for some power vocal during workouts.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Video Soul was my shit...but my favorite back in the day were dem x rated videos they showed after dark...don't act like I was the only one watching that shit back in the day

I did too, oh man did I ever.

Silky

Banned
Where you live - Canada
Your Age - Mid-20s
Hobbies - Hating

Damn.

Sun Araw, El Huervo, Flume, to a lesser extent Animal Collective

Kreed

Where you live - Canada
Your Age - Mid-20s
Hobbies - Hating

Welcome to the thread!

harSon

Banned
Is Ray Rice is done in the NFL? Think another team will give him a chance?

You can't be a scumbag and horse shit, and expect to have a job in the NFL. If this was a few years ago, I'd say there's a good chance he'd find a team willing to take the risk, but after last season? I'm not so sure. Honestly though, he shouldn't be allowed to play this season, even if a team was willing to take a leap of faith.

cdyhybrid

Is Ray Rice is done in the NFL? Think another team will give him a chance?

He might be. If they had punished him like this in the first place he probably could have limped back into the league down the line. But the league and the Ravens handled this so poorly that he might be radioactive now from a PR standpoint.

Edit: Also, as harSon mentioned, he sucks.

I think the best example of a comedian bombing and taking advantage of the L is Bill Burr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jMhoGUiIkk

Turn the negative of him getting shitted on into a postive of him shitting on Philly.

Love that Burr clip.

Poor Doug. Probably washing cars right now. Even had to shake Jaime's hand after he ended his career before it fucking started.

Where you live - Canada
Your Age - Mid-20s
Hobbies - Hating

I like this guy already.

RP912

Banned

BET Uncut was the goat show. Gave us hits like What That Thing Smell Like and White GRILLLLLLSSSS.

RP912

Banned
Where you live - Canada
Your Age - Mid-20s
Hobbies - Hating

53712707.jpg

Jado

Banned
I'm working my way through the Pain/Akatsuki arc.

Felt pretty fucking bad when (big spoiler)
Jiraiya died. I knew about it from reading spoilers, saw it coming with the focus on his back story and the new opening theme basically turning into a RIP tribute, but God damn. Losing his arm like that... I think that's what did it. Couple hundred episodes in and no one has been shown maimed like this (+ stabbed through the hand and torso, throat getting crushed). Brutal. I've heard the reasons why he didn't reverse summon outta there and it's simply plot-related nonsense. Naruto needs reasons to go SSJ.

Naruto is very mediocre and unbearable, always losing his shit and rushing in like an idiot without the original show's humor to balance it out. Kakashi, Yamato and others do amazing shit onscreen but because of plot, it doesn't amount to much. Naruto shows up with that one NEW trick that all the villains hate, wins decisively and everyone is in awe of how much he's grown or something. I get the show is NARUTO, but it's downright bizarre how an entire nation seems to revolve around his drama and his Genin childhood buddy that went rogue. Especially the latter. Any smart govt/military would've cut their losses (it's just a damn kid who ran away) and moved on already.

On that point: outside of a few characters (Orochimaru, Kakashi), Hidden Leaf's history seems to begin and end with the Konoha 11. Where are all the slightly older and highly experienced Jonin/Chunin? Where are all the very talented ninjas who just happen to be slightly younger? DBZ at least had valid reasons for there only being a visible handful of skilled fighters.

Sasuke himself is dull but surprisingly bearable compared to his shitty, emo tantrum-throwing self in the old series. He's pretty much a mirror of his low-key brother now. Next episode is their fight.

Sakura is nowhere near as bad as before nor as bad/useless as people claimed. Don't get the hate. She's actually better and does more than some of the guys.

Tobi is the BEST new character in the entire Shippuden series. I mean, between this hilarious "fight" and his commentary during the Sasuke/Deidara fight... no one is even close to this.

Shikamaru is probably the best overall character. Took down a big bad without everyone doting on him and giving him special training, cheats/hacks like Naruto and Sasuke, etc. The way he took down Hidan was reminiscent of how fights used to be.

I would watch a show that eliminated most of the characters except Kakashi, Rock Lee, Guy, Jiraiya, Tsunade, Shikamaru, Tobi and some of the better villains.

Finally, the music (outside the theme songs) a lot worse and unmemorable. It's like budget for the "music department" was decimated and they were left to scramble with a few free music clips.

Slayven

Honestly I only reading naruto because I like to see shit to end.

It started off great, with even thought someone had some ultra cool movies, they can be countered using basic shit in new ways.

KumaJG

I'm working my way through the Pain/Akatsuki arc.

Felt pretty fucking bad when (big spoiler)
Jiraiya died. I knew about it from reading spoilers, saw it coming with the focus on his back story and the new opening theme basically turning into a RIP tribute, but God damn. Losing his arm like that... I think that's what did it. Couple hundred episodes in and no one has been shown maimed like this (+ stabbed through the hand and torso, throat getting crushed). Brutal. I've heard the reasons why he didn't reverse summon outta there and it's simply plot-related nonsense. Naruto needs reasons to go SSJ.

Naruto is very mediocre and unbearable, always losing his shit and rushing in like an idiot without the original show's humor to balance it out. Kakashi, Yamato and others do amazing shit onscreen but because of plot, it doesn't amount to much. Naruto shows up with that one NEW trick that all the villains hate, wins decisively and everyone is in awe of how much he's grown or something. I get the show is NARUTO, but it's downright bizarre how an entire nation seems to revolve around his drama and his Genin childhood buddy that went rogue. Especially the latter. Any smart govt/military would've cut their losses (it's just a damn kid who ran away) and moved on already.

On that point: outside of a few characters (Orochimaru, Kakashi), Hidden Leaf's history seems to begin and end with the Konoha 11. Where are all the slightly older and highly experienced Jonin/Chunin? Where are all the very talented ninjas who just happen to be slightly younger? DBZ at least had valid reasons for there only being a visible handful of skilled fighters.

Sasuke himself is dull but surprisingly bearable compared to his shitty, emo tantrum-throwing self in the old series. He's pretty much a mirror of his low-key brother now. Next episode is their fight.

Sakura is nowhere near as bad as before nor as bad/useless as people claimed. Don't get the hate. She's actually better and does more than some of the guys.

Tobi is the BEST new character in the entire Shippuden series. I mean, between this hilarious "fight" and his commentary during the Sasuke/Deidara fight... no one is even close to this.

Shikamaru is probably the best overall character. Took down a big bad without everyone doting on him and giving him special training, cheats/hacks like Naruto and Sasuke, etc. The way he took down Hidan was reminiscent of how fights used to be.

I would watch a show that eliminated most of the characters except Kakashi, Rock Lee, Guy, Jiraiya, Tsunade, Shikamaru, Tobi and some of the better villains.

Finally, the music (outside the theme songs) a lot worse and unmemorable. It's like budget for the "music department" was decimated and they were left to scramble with a few free music clips.

You are approaching some of the best fights in the shippuuden era. Oddly enough most of them involve Sasuke. Itachi my dude, one of the best characters in the series(I see you liking him). I notice Sasuke growing on you lol.

Sakura being useless stem from her only major fight is the against Sasori. Later see reverts back to the "OMG Sasuke please acknowledge my existence" character.

Enjoy Tobi while you can. He become a shitty character once you know more about him

Think you about to witness Talk no Jutsu from Naurto for the first time.

BIG Spoiler than ABOVE READ AT OWN RISK

Getting closer to the arrival of real nigga Madara Uchiha.

It started off great, with even thought someone had some ultra cool movies, they can be countered using basic shit in new ways.

I probably drop Naruto if it wasn't close to the end.

Mortemis

Banned

Judging from the latest chapter, unless some other bullshit twist comes along we almost there breh.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Orochimaru has always been the best part of Naruto. I tapped out a wayyyyys back though. Then I played Ultimate Ninja Storm like, 2 and 3, and I feel completely current (and I did a little reading as well) - I tell you, those games will give you a concise-ass summary.

Naruto went off the rails fucking years ago. I liked Orochimaru as the big bad, they hyped this dude up so much as this once in a lifetime genius...then it was like "But that means fuck all cause we got a shitload of once in a mellinum genius GOD ninjas loololol!" Then they made Itachi to be weak as fuck in the grand scheme of things.

Like okay....this shit is dumb at this point. I'm really waiting on this alien mother of all chakra shit to turn into "but wait...her creator has come!!!"

*eyerolls*

Fuck Naruto bruhs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom