• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreed

TLOU is GKMC status.

It's not bad at all but yall really want it to be better than it is

mQKJryC.gif

cdyhybrid

TIL PC warriors exist. Why?

Gotta have some light in the darkness.

Gaming side is Sanctuary and PC-GAF are the nephalem.

Smash Bros. is gonna be the first game I actually own that the majority of the BCT will be playing. Looking forward to getting my ass kicked by you guys.

I'd play an assassin's Creed game over a killzone game any day.
I'd play that one game the mods had to create a cemetery in over a few weeks back over a assassin creed game

Ubisoft done killed my mother and raped my father, then stole my lunch money as far as my irrational hatred of them

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm interested in the new AC because they got rid of the naval missions. I guess everyone like the boat.

Fuck the boat.

some of the things people are saying are so asinine and blanket that they could be applied to anything

"all you do is shoot stuff" wut
"hard to find equipment is hard to find" wut
"pvp is hard and unfair. i played it a couple of times and everyone killed me" lol
"i couldn't break the game in a week, this shit is stupid" wut

i mean, most people aren't even hitting some of the valid issues that the game does have.

I dipped out of having to review it. Like I said, well-crafted, but found it quite boring.

Having just burned through Elder Scrolls Online/Wildstar for review and Warlords of Draenor for a preview, MMO-style missions with little-to-no story was a "nope".

It plays very well, but I had no hype going into it, so all I had to engage me is what was available, and nothing there hooked me. You can drop into a fireteam and the game just fades into the background. It's a thing you do while you're chatting with friends. It just feels mad empty.

I disagree with you, but I respect your opinion.

Just spin off the pirate action into its own game and we can all be happy.

I am wondering if Ubisoft Sofia is going to get to play with the Black Flag engine again next year or if they get to upgrade to the Unity engine.

Slayven

I dipped out of having to review it. Like I said, well-crafted, but found it quite boring.

Having just burned through Elder Scrolls Online/Wildstar for review and Warlords of Draenor for a preview, MMO-style missions with little-to-no story was a "nope".

It plays very well, but I had no hype going into it, so all I had to engage me is what was available, and nothing there hooked me. You can drop into a fireteam and the game just fades into the background. It's a thing you do while you're chatting with friends. It just feels mad empty.

Wildstar free to play yet?

cdyhybrid

Is WoD just more of the same shit?

I realize you probably can't say anything about it outside of linking to the preview if it's out already, but I figured I'd take a shot!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I disagree with you, but I respect your opinion.

Just spin off the pirate action into its own game and we can all be happy.

I like the idea. I just don't like how it's executed by Ubisoft, and it always feels so out of place to me. In 3 it felt like it was stuck on there for something different. In 4, it felt like the AC part was stuck in there because it was still an AC game. So a proper entry by itself would be fine, but the last thing Ubisoft needs is yet another annualized franchise.

My interest in AC is always virtual 'tourism' ie getting to see stuff recreated as to how it supposedly was at that time and getting free reign around those buildings, and climbing tall shit that takes a long time. I never really found the outdoors stuff that interesting, but I almost universally hate any wilderness set game. Just Cause 2 put me to sleep.

I realize you probably can't say anything about it outside of linking to the preview if it's out already, but I figured I'd take a shot!

Wildstar is basically WoW 2, but we can't make WoW 2 so we're going with this. They streamlined the hell out of the game and made it difficult in different places. There's still story quests, but Blizzard realized 95% of the playerbase wasn't reading the text for the Kill Quota quests, so they turned all those into a much more easily accessible alternative. The Garrison stuff seems kinda cool as like a 'show off what you did thing.' Which I'm more interested in than home decorating.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
SOE is on a 'you need to prove it to me before I trust you' status with me. More interested in a localization of PSO 2, DQ X(lol) or Blade & Soul.

When I saw them destroying landscape in that demo of EQN, all I could think was 'Well, good luck making that not destroy peoples computers'

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

This is another one.

I've never been bored playing it (until i got the Moon 11 times in a row back in the beta). But it just sounds so much like when people played Borderlands 1 and never even left the first area. I do think Bungie could've done more in the early game for people by unlocking certain options earlier (hard more first playthrough) but, and I say this because I've seen a lot of people I've played PvP with do this, when people say that everything is a breeze and nothing is challenging - then do a 180 once they actually turn the difficulty up , I'm like.... yal are trifling

So I'm pissed at Bungie for sipping their own koolaid and thinking that they know better than there own base but at the same time I'm pissed at people playing it because attention spans are at an all-time low and people really think they should be gifted awesome right from the get go and not told explicitly how they're supposed to have fun and that's what irks me the most. After a certain point in the game, you can stick entirely to PvE or PvP and then one of the specific types of PvE or PvP.

The game is wide open and gives me everything I'd want from a more responsive and practical Borderlands game while being the best FPS I've played in years. Its got a ton of problems

• broken clan system
  • audio arrogance
  • AI being completely kid-gloved until later in the game
  • loot trolling
  • matchmaking needs ranks
  • more 'aggressive' mission modes - that are NOT tied to the raid
  • transparency about their weekly schedules
  • vendor tutorials
  • better map/game mode choices
  • x/y sensitivity options
  • idling/farming solution
  • strike playlist needs better rewards
  • expanded weekly rotation of game modes
  • story in general lolz
  • gimped economy around glimmer

but 'boring' just doesn't say enough.

KumaJG

Eq next needs to happen now

When EQ Next happens I'll definitely build a PC or just buy a laptop. Wow was great fun. Druid tanks and Shamans was my favorite class. Only thing I regret is not played Druid tank @ a high level. Only got it to like 60 before I stopped playing Wow.

What do I need to do to get a loot based FPS who's world is as big and dense as like World of Warcraft and not this "looks big doesn't it?! It's actually sectioned off quite a bit lolololol!"

You'd think we'd see something like that at some point

DY_nasty

What do I need to do to get a loot based FPS who's world is as big and dense as like World of Warcraft and not this "looks big doesn't it?! It's actually sectioned off quite a bit lolololol!"

Destiny is small now omg i can't

Gorillaz

Im definitely more mad at bungie being so into themselves and ego tripping that they feel like they know what people want.

Like raids being end game ain't bad because I get it, but the empty space between beating the story/lvl 20 and raids is the problem. No variety.

Destiny 2, get hype

they only had five years to make a game this big, maybe one day they'll fill it with interesting NPCs and quests and people you can easily interact with

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
When EQ Next happens I'll definitely build a PC or just buy a laptop. Wow was great fun. Druid tanks and Shamans was my favorite class. Only thing I regret is not played Druid tank @ a high level. Only got it to like 60 before I stopped playing Wow.

as a guy who has a high level druid off spec tank..... eh. Tanking is cool but most encounters are basically taunt, de taunt, run from fire, taunt. Repeat

All this mmorpg talk makes me realize i need to get my coat out of storage.... Winter is coming

DY_nasty

real shit tho

if dragon age: i multiplayer is as good as mass effect 3s...

man, i feel bad for a lot of people that consider me a friend lol

edit: the fuck was better than TLOU last year? lmao

Aqua Lad voiced by Cyborg

Also the asexual black dude on the team. His girl gets stole by his best friend and everyone on the team fucking but him.

Don't know how I feel about them bringing a black girl on in like the last 2 episodes just so he could get it, but I guess I'll just be glad my dude got it in the end

I know of people who were shipping Aqua Lad with Superboy.

cdyhybrid

Have you checked out Planetside? Pretty big MMOFPS, but it's unlock-based rather than loot.

Wildstar free to play yet?

Nah.

There's no embargo on Warlords. It's more of the same, with improved models and animation. Blizzard has realized people don't read quest text for "Kill 10 X" so they just give you the quests when you enter a certain area. That means anytime they do give you a real quest, they can focus on the area's story. And the Garrison is a nice feature.

Feels more like WoW is keeping up with FFXIV and Wildstar than blazing its own trail.

My interest in AC is always virtual 'tourism' ie getting to see stuff recreated as to how it supposedly was at that time and getting free reign around those buildings, and climbing tall shit that takes a long time. I never really found the outdoors stuff that interesting, but I almost universally hate any wilderness set game. Just Cause 2 put me to sleep.

Then AC Unity should be your jam.

This is another one.

I've never been bored playing it (until i got the Moon 11 times in a row back in the beta). But it just sounds so much like when people played Borderlands 1 and never even left the first area. I do think Bungie could've done more in the early game for people by unlocking certain options earlier (hard more first playthrough) but, and I say this because I've seen a lot of people I've played PvP with do this, when people say that everything is a breeze and nothing is challenging - then do a 180 once they actually turn the difficulty up , I'm like.... yal are trifling

So I'm pissed at Bungie for sipping their own koolaid and thinking that they know better than there own base but at the same time I'm pissed at people playing it because attention spans are at an all-time low and people really think they should be gifted awesome right from the get go and not told explicitly how they're supposed to have fun and that's what irks me the most. After a certain point in the game, you can stick entirely to PvE or PvP and then one of the specific types of PvE or PvP.

but 'boring' just doesn't say enough.

Alternatively, I just don't like the goddamn game.

I mean, I understand you love it and I'm glad about that, but don't try to pin shit on me just because I'm not jamming along with you. I dipped out of the review so I wouldn't have to spend time explaining in great detail why I didn't like it.

It's an FPSMMO. I've played better FPS games. I've played better MMOs. I find Destiny wanting.

In fact, I feel Planetside 2 was more on-point with what it was accomplishing.

Destiny 2 probably. Bungie will build something amazing out of it, I'm just saying launch Destiny ain't it.

cdyhybrid

There's no embargo on Warlords. It's more of the same, with improved models and animation. Blizzard has realized people don't read quest text for "Kill 10 X" so they just give you the quests when you enter a certain area. That means anytime they do give you a real quest, they can focus on the area's story. And the Garrison is a nice feature.

Feels more like WoW is keeping up with FFXIV and Wildstar than blazing it's own trail.

RE: the bolded - I've felt like that for a while. Pretty much since the A-team left to work on the now-defunct Titan. They've done some cool things but nothing that really changed the game, just building on what was already there.

I'll probably end up subscribing again for a bit just to see the story T.T

DY_nasty

Nah.

Feels more like WoW is keeping up with FFXIV and Wildstar than blazing it's own trail.

Then AC Unity should be your jam.

Alternatively, I just don't like the goddamn game.

I mean, I understand you love it and I'm glad about that, but don't try to pin shit on me just because I'm not jamming along with you. I dipped out of the review so I wouldn't have to spend time explaining in great detail why I didn't like it.

It's an FPSMMO. I've played better FPS games. I've played better MMOs. I find Destiny wanting.

Planetside 2?

Oh come on. That's not even as good as Planetside 1 at its height. As a shooter its weak as hell.

This is what I mean. I can go back and forth with Moris and JC on it without taking shots because they've actually seen enough of the game to go at its weakpoints well enough to sound like they know what they're talking about. JC can actually succeed in PvP enough to comment on it's balance. Moris has without a doubt played more PvE than I have and knows the ins and outs of all it offers better than I do. I probably interact with more communities through it than both so I'll speak on that.

But If I were to pick up Civ 4 and leave my impression as "I found out boring tbh" with no further comment then why would I not expect to have people look at me like I was talking shit just to be talking shit?

Calling Destiny an FPSMMO is a enough to call BS in itself.

Really though, you got people calling TLOU's story revolutionary when that shit would've gotten a 6 on IMDB and that would've been the end of it.

Say I'm lyin

Kraftwerk

Really though, you got people calling TLOU's story revolutionary when that shit would've gotten a 6 on IMDB and that would've been the end of it.

Say I'm lyin

eh, I don't see how saying it is revolutionary in the context of video-games is a bad thing. TLOU will cause other dev's to raise the bar, which is a good thing.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Smash Bros. is gonna be the first game I actually own that the majority of the BCT will be playing. Looking forward to getting my ass kicked by you guys.

I'll go easy on you bruh

Say I'm lyin

This is true.

Like I said before on the topic of TLOU, it didn't seem very phenomenal to me either, but so many sight it as such and it has been a contributing factor in many devs wanting to make changes to their games. That's pretty great in itself, but the game itself? Nothing that really hasn't been done before.

The game may have been the best thing to happen to gaming in the past few years tho, simply because of the new push for innovation within the industry as a result of it.

Say I'm lyin

1. Have you seen the shit people rate highly on IMDB
2. TLOU is a video game that builds it narrative through cutscenes and in-game actions and isn't really comparable to a movie or a television show
3. Why people insist on attacking the most hyperbolic comments like "yeah stop liking that thing so much I know better", I'll never know. Just do you, nigga

Like this the same dumbass mentality Slayven was talking about, because people liked a thing so much he was just COMPELLED to hate it/not watch it, just on principle. God forbid people get passionate about things they enjoy. Like, whoa

DY_nasty

2. TLOU is a video game that builds it narrative through cutscenes and in-game actions and isn't really comparable to a movie or a television show
3. Why people insist on attacking the most hyperbolic comments like "yeah stop liking that thing so much I know better", I'll never know. Just do you, nigga

leave hars0n alone

This is what I mean. I can go back and forth with Moris and JC on it without taking shots because they've actually seen enough of the game to go at its weakpoints well enough to sound like they know what they're talking about. JC can actually succeed in PvP enough to comment on it's balance. Moris has without a doubt played more PvE than I have and knows the ins and outs of all it offers better than I do. I probably interact with more communities through it then both so I'll speak on that.

Two things before I leave this:

1) If you have to play to endgame to get anything out of a game, I'm always going to call that a problem.

2) Again, I'm not really sure why I need to dig into shit like the problem with engrams, the dumbass AI leading to battles that are mostly an afterthought, well-designed enemies that the story gives me little reason to shoot at, the backstory being relegated to Grimoire cards, dead-on-arrival dialog, and more. But it's easier for me to say I found it boring. The entire game added up to a boring experience for me.

If you want me to write a review, drop a paycheck. If we're just talking on a message board, I can leave the highlights and call it a day.

But If I were to pick up Civ 4 and leave my impression as "I found out boring tbh" with no further comment then why would I not expect to have people look at me like I was talking shit just to be talking shit?

Calling Destiny an FPSMMO is a enough to call BS in itself.

If you feel I'm talking shit just to talk shit, rock out. I've burned enough time in alpha, beta, and live to be down with calling it an FPSMMO.

And if Civ 4 didn't hook you in a few hours, that shit's probably not for you. I don't need your tastes to align with mine, I'll enjoy my Civ 5 (which I would've also given a 6 at launch, shit didn't get great until Gods & Kings) and you can rock that Destiny.

EDIT: Oh, and Forza Horizon 2 is the hotness.

Slayven

Like this the same dumbass mentality Slayven was talking about, because people liked a thing so much he was just COMPELLED to hate it/not watch it, just on principle. God forbid people get passionate about things they enjoy. Like, whoa
Niggas always putting words in folks mouth.

I like PS2, but got bored because all it boiled down to was kill cats, control points repeat forever. There was little variety in it all even with the whole unlocking mechanic. I did have fun with it for the time I was deep into it, won't lie on that.

Destiny 2 probably. Bungie will build something amazing out of it, I'm just saying launch Destiny ain't it.

Honestly I imagine that was the concept for Destiny, just being on the PS3/360 forced them to take the more sectioned off approach instead of these super large ass planets where you could go for 15m in either direction before reaching the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom