• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I see a post suggesting that all people who were spanked were abused and emotionally damaged I'm just thinking BITCH YOU GUESSIN'!

Kreed

The idea that white folk don't beat their kids is one of those myths I can't believe people buy into. Anyone with a basic understanding of history, or hell, anyone who takes the time to just talk to some white people will understand real quick that isn't true.

It doesn't help when black comedians usually use white kids as examples of bad/spoiled children in addition to promoting the belt as being more effective than "time out".

Wynnebeck

Banned
Every time I see a post suggesting that all people who were spanked were abused and emotionally damaged I'm just thinking BITCH YOU GUESSIN'!

I've decided to not even read the threads because reading some posts just get my blood boiling. I was spanked and got whooped as a child. In no form was I abused or now emotionally damaged. According to some cats on GAF though, it's because I'm supressing feelings about how I think my parents are pieces of shit and should be locked up. It never ends.

HiResDes

Mod probably looked at the title and a few posts and did a preemptive strike. Last spanking thread got pretty vile (even though this one was relatively calm for having the premise it did).
I just wanted to say a few things in my defense that I didn't get say.

First of all when I stated it was a black tradition I didn't mean to imply anything about all black people or families or insinuate that it's part of some genetic predisposition. Tradition can simply be interpreted as an old beliefs. I didn't get why people got so focused on the title like it was just so wrong. Sure it was a generalization, but why do people assume there aren't correlations and or partial truths within them. I wasn't making it sound like it was a black rule. And I also wasn't making shit up without any firsthand experience.

I wasn't just talking about spanking, but rather a more specific ritual.

It's very possible that it's actually of prevalence in many lower class southern families, but I was speaking from my own experiences and therefore it was easier for me to identify it in black households because I come from a southern black household myself.

I wasn't excusing Adrian from anything but rather trying to pinpoint the cycle of ignorance and identifying that he's actually isn't a psychopath and that his intentions were probably well meaning though instilled by this antiquated and warped since of reality. As we saw with the opinions Reggie Bush and many other stars, Adrian's ignorance isn't this insane outlier. And often times it's even perpetuated in black culture by comedians, radio hosts, and black films.

And lastly I do think being in the most religiously conservative part of the nation definitely played a role in creating this tradition and maybe you could even source the beginning of it back to slavery.

Kreed

And lastly I do think being in the most religiously conservative part of the nation definitely played a role in creating this tradition and maybe you could even source the beginning of it back to slavery.

It definitely goes back to slavery, but corporal punishment has been a part of many societies throughout history. As you alluded to, even the bible and other religious texts discuss "proper" corporal punishment for children as well as criminals (practices you still hear about in the news usually in regards to Middle Eastern countries).

HiResDes

Yeah now that I think about it it would have been more accurate to make the generalization about religion rather than race, but I don't think that would have gone over any smoother.

HiResDes

Or just don't make generalizations...?
They're just shortcuts to pinpoint what I wanted to talk about. I get why stereotypes and generalizing has a negative connotation, but I think as long as you realize their not hard-coded rules it's okay to admit to using them. Stereotyping is a part of everyday life. You have to make assumptions about people sometimes or you'd actually be quite socially inept. Now when you're not open to those assumptions being completely off base that's when problems occur.

They're just shortcuts to pinpoint what I wanted to talk about. I get why stereotypes and generalizing has a negative connotation, but I think as long as you realize their not hard-coded rules it's okay to admit to using them. Stereotyping is a part of everyday life. You have to make assumptions about people sometimes or you'd actually be quite socially inept. Now when you're not open to those assumptions being completely off base that's when problems occur.

Well, your execution was extremely flawed

Think harder about what you want to say

HiResDes

Well, your execution was extremely flawed

Think harder about what you want to say
While
"Switch fetching is part of tradition in many religious southern families, " might have received less backlash it's not really what I wanted to talk about.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I've decided to not even read the threads because reading some posts just get my blood boiling. I was spanked and got whooped as a child. In no form was I abused or now emotionally damaged. According to some cats on GAF though, it's because I'm supressing feelings about how I think my parents are pieces of shit and should be locked up. It never ends.

Do you think it had a positive impact on you though?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
^That's what I'm talking about. There's no frame of reference at all on either side.
And Dave, it's problematic when you have someone saying something like child abuse is a black family tradition. That alone deserves side-eye

No it doesn't.

Spanking is immensely more popular among blacks and as you can see, 'abuse', is subjective to a lot of people. I'm not gonna pretend like every single one of my cousins as well as myself never got hit hard and often.

Infinite

^That's what I'm talking about. There's no frame of reference at all on either side.

No it doesn't.

Spanking is immensely more popular among blacks and as you can see, 'abuse', is subjective to a lot of people. I'm not gonna pretend like every single one of my cousins as well as myself never got hit hard and often.

It's still not a "black" thing.

I can count on one hand the amount of times I have spanked my girls. It was effective but the "Dad Voice" and disappointment was much more effective as they got older (10+) so seeing no need I stopped. I do still tell them time to time that they are not too old to catch one (19 and 22).

One thing you youngsters don't know is that if you turn Dehumanizing Stare and Aggressive Step down to 50% you get Disapproval Gaze and Shamed Reaction. You have to have leveled up to Master though.

And that isn't even my final form.

DY_nasty

There's a lot of black families that -don't- believe in spanking. Seems like a regional thing.

uh huh

so why would religious blacks in the south somehow be more prone to use bits and pieces of slave breaking techniques on their kids?

uh huh

so why would religious blacks in the south somehow be more prone to use bits and pieces of slave breaking techniques on their kids?

Probably based off of a study, that or a lot of people listed to the Herd on ESPN yesterday morning (me included). Survey people from all over and it was found that a southern born-again christian black republican was most likely to whoop their kids.
Black > White
Republican > Independent > Democrat
Southern (most likely) | Northeast (least likely)

Granted, for black parents it was only 9% more than white parents. something like 88% to 79%. Parents in general overwhelmingly have spanking their kids regardless of race

DY_nasty

Probably based off of a study, that or a lot of people listed to the Herd on ESPN yesterday morning (me included). Survey people from all over and it was found that a southern born-again christian black republican was most likely to whoop their kids.
Black > White
Republican > Independent > Democrat
Southern (most likely) | Northeast (least likely)

I've always just felt that it was common knowledge and generally accepted that spanking isn't just more tolerated - but more accepted and generally encouraged in certain groups. The big thing is how you see stuff like there being no real recognition of child abuse when it comes to spanking until you see kids coming to school with black eyes or outright running away from home. You see practices that some would consider forms of torture by having kids go out and pick out the instrument of their beatings and having to attempt to explain (pointlessly) what put them in such a predicament prior to a beating. You'll see mothers and fathers say stuff like "I'd rather hit my child at home than look the other way and have someone in the outside world hit them" in such a way that implies that they aren't even aware of more parenting options or choices. You'll see kids in church beaten by people outside of their family regularly.

And people don't even flinch at any of the stuff.

I'm not saying that it's even wrong because it didn't systematically guarantee that all of us failed in life and there are plenty of people who never got touched who are shitbags as well - that's irrelevant imo because there are a multitude of ways to be a bad parent.

andthebeatgoeson

There's a lot of black families that -don't- believe in spanking. Seems like a regional thing.
I'm black and don't believe in spanking. Directly caused by my parents stance on not spanking. Alright my dad is real light skinned, so that may explain it.

But I support spanking... Because I have three kids. I don't but I will pinch the hell out of them or twist their arm. I support a parent making up shit just like every other patent. You have different kids with different personalities. I get more physical with my 4 year old. He's in the 99th percentile in height and weight. He looks 6 and will probably be 4 feet tall next year. I can't control him well. And I need him to know when to stop.

I can't imagine how blessed I am with kids nor do I tolerate childhood 'crazy ness'. So if a parent has a wild child, they need the tools to help out. I know Peterson whooped his boy something fierce but it just doesn't register on my outrage scale. The deliberate beating of another person is far past that because he was trying to discipline his kid. He needs education.

Saw the FFXV trailer. Man, I've never been so excited for the new FF game since maybe... no never. I mean FF9 may come close, but that's it.

Protag was like I woke up in that new Bugatti

My fellow Nigerians, do you find the Nigerian english accent sexy? Because I personally don't...I wonder if anyone finds their native/cultural accent particularly sexy

KumaJG

When talk spanking with people who don't know much about they assume the extreme case. Spanking definitely a regional thing(southern in fact).

I believe the way you discipline a child depends on the child. Also believe at a certain age spanking becomes pointless because it easier to get your point/lesson across just by talking to them.

When I have kids I not going to whoop them because there are more effective way to punish them in this technological age. Also I am a big softy. I can't even kill an ant :(

I can count on one hand the amount of times I have spanked my girls. It was effective but the "Dad Voice" and disappointment was much more effective as they got older (10+) so seeing no need I stopped. I do still tell them time to time that they are not too old to catch one (19 and 22).

One thing you youngsters don't know is that if you turn Dehumanizing Stare and Aggressive Step down to 50% you get Disapproval Gaze and Shamed Reaction. You have to have leveled up to Master though.

And that isn't even my final form.

That's always the worse.

"I'm disappointed in you."
Laurence-Fishburne.gif

No theatrics. Just the quiet statement.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yo I've seen kids brush that shit off so quickly I just had to smh....

The level of disrespect is astounding.

Probably because the parents do it so often. If you become predictable and nothing ever really comes from it kids will pick up on that.

I'm not saying hitting kids is the answer, but I don't think all punishment is bad. There definitely has to be some negative consequences to bad behavior other wise it won't stop.

Doing the "I'm disappointed" routine from the movies every time is the same as not doing anything I feel

I have a family sized pork ribs I'm cooking for the big day on Saturday. I need to figure out what kinda marinade I'm making. I want to have them sitting in the marinade for at least 30+ hours. Any suggestions family?

Village

Saw the FFXV trailer. Man, I've never been so excited for the new FF game since maybe... no never. I mean FF9 may come close, but that's it.

Protag was like I woke up in that new Bugatti

There needs to be a point where they turn on the radio , some hype rap shit comes on, and they wild the fuck out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom