• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Village

Same. These dudes look like they're balling out of control. They're out there fighting monsters in red bottoms and $5,000 European jackets. They probably smoke gold blunts and drink expensive champagne like water. Which other character rolls into battle in a drop top Phantom and doesn't give a fuck about it getting scratched?

They might be the goat jrpg characters if the story isn't ass.

edit:

These dudes roll up in the bugatti on the final boss and pull out the swords out the trunk like straps.

Really? Reminded me of FF12/Xenoblade.

Really?

I got kh with advanced flow motion out off this.

I've said this before... my dad tried to run me over with a car and when that didn't work, he went after me with a machete. I don't know why he stopped.

He also choked me out a few times. I triangled him once when he was doing that. I didn't even know what a triangle was, I just kinda did it. He never tried that again.

I still can't be around him or anyone else without getting nauseous when they remove their belt. That "swish" a belt makes along with the jingle of the buckle puts me into a headspace that turns me into a 5 year old boy again. Anything else you did if you came after me, you'd be in for the fight of your life, but that one act makes me want to drop into a fetal position.

I'm wondering if it isn't more socioeconomic than cultural. I realize there's a cultural aspect to class, but I'm thinking along the lines of not having any exposure to a better way.

On the other hand, I couldn't give ten fucks about being beaten. That's probably why my beatings would get so bad. Grounding didn't bother me. Speeches didn't bother me. I took beatings like a tank and it just encouraged him to hit harder and harder. I would be bleeding and I would literally dare him to go further and call him a coward. The only thing that ever made me comply if I didn't want to comply was economic control. Take me away from my money, my games, and my TV, and I would mind, but I would still find a way around eventually.

Fuck

Malyse

Really? Reminded me of FF12/Xenoblade.

These dudes roll up in the bugatti on the final boss and pull out the swords out the trunk like straps.

Really?

I got kh with advanced flow motion out off this.

I mean

Tetsuya Nomura said:
Since it's different than the Final Fantasy series which is founded on party play, the way the characters level up is different. Because there are various things that can and can't be done, the things I can't do in Final Fantasy Versus XIII I'm doing in Kingdom Hearts [3D].

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
TX9dbK6.jpg

Infinite

I just want FFXV to be a Final Fantasy game. I want all the sub quests and adventures that comes with playing a final fantasy game.

andthebeatgoeson

People always want to bring out the stats and shit when something is a "black thing".

I'll not overlook the study, but every white person (scratch that...every person) I've befriended (from south to Northeast) caught the L at some point. Nobody ever takes the discussion further than what got them got, due to trying to 1up the next person in the, "who got it worse olympics."lol. It's in my opinion that, calling it a black thing is bullshit, due to personal experience(so no scientific merit). I'll not knock anyone else's experiences though.
I just did a quick and dirty math on California's population. 6% of the population is around 2.2 million. That prop 8 vote was 7 vs 6 million. That 2 million is the total population, not voting. Ain't no way in the world did black people significantly effect that vote in a dramatic fashion. Just another version of Susan Smith's blame a black guy.

I've said this before... my dad tried to run me over with a car and when that didn't work, he went after me with a machete. I don't know why he stopped.

He also choked me out a few times. I triangled him once when he was doing that. I didn't even know what a triangle was, I just kinda did it. He never tried that again.

I'm wondering if it isn't more socioeconomic than cultural. I realize there's a cultural aspect to class, but I'm thinking along the lines of not having any exposure to a better way.
I'm for corporal punishment with kids because they have to know you still hold the nuclear option. They need to have some fear.

And u would advocate the kung fu grip on any child, once or twice. You can't use any discipline too much but I gripped my kid up once and he's been great. Not around the neck but grab the collar and twist it. Has the same effect.

You can't expect you kids to learn something if all you do is whoop them and never talk to them.

the beatings i've been involved in and witnessed all involved a ton of talking between the lashes. telling you why you were getting beat. what to not do again. etc...

doesn't mean it worked, but there was always a monologue to go along with the spanking and sometimes a dialogue where the one getting the beating had to repeat the lines while getting spanked.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Do you think it had a positive impact on you though?

I would say yes. Being that I grew up in South Philadelphia and then partly in Virginia, my parents used beatings to discipline me when I acted out of line and knew I had done so. Like Master said, my beating involved a lot of talking about why I did what I did, acknowledgement of the fact that I disobeyed, and plans on how to correct the behavior in the future. Granted, not everyone's parents do it the same way, but for mine I'm glad they did. It kept me off the streets and from running with a gang. Now, a parent should never discipline their child in anger. The child learns nothing except that doing that again will result in an angry parent. However, when used constructively and in a non-damaging manner, I believe disciplining a child with a spanking or beating is not as damaging to a child as people try to make. All of this is my opinion.

That catholic HS group beating up that gay couple after that group dinner made me wonder.

How often are you guys at a function or meet-up where it's all or almost all white?

Happened to me a couple weeks ago and it felt weird since the most white people at the parties I usually go to consists of half of my friend Mark.

Not a single cut. Decided on a honey Teriyaki marinade and crushed red pepper. Also making that Riovane......I mean Revanche BLT dip with jalapeño, cilantro, diced tomatoes, and bacon.

I'm expecting at least 13 people, got my boys coming through, some females and lotsa drinking.

J10

Banned
That catholic HS group beating up that gay couple after that group dinner made me wonder.

How often are you guys at a function or meet-up where it's all or almost all white?

Happened to me a couple weeks ago and it felt weird since the most white people at the parties I usually go to consists of half of my friend Mark.

Why did it feel weird?

Why did it feel weird?

It's hard to explain and I know it was in my head. Most parties I go to are pretty diverse looking or have mostly hispanic people, I imagine it's the same feeling that a white person has when they're dating outside their race and go to a family get together of their SO's and they are conscious of their ethnicity/race in a way they haven't had to be before due to the shifted demographic.

Didn't help that they had Avril Lavinge/Korn/Lame 90s Alt-Rock on the stereo. Everytime a new song started without fail I was looking like
KRrHQ.png

Slayven

How about you be at a party and can psychically know where the only other black person is?

BlackJace

95% of the time.

besada

Banned
I can tell you for sure that it's not just non-whites beating their kids. I took quite a few whippings from my dad -- all after he'd calmed down, all with a belt, all on my padded ass -- and then there was my grandmother. She once pulled the wooden slat out of the back of a chair and whooped me until I couldn't walk. She also beat me with plastic race tracks (which hurts like a bitch), bloodweed (which strips skin off your legs), a razor strop, switches, and generally anything that wouldn't break against me.

My dad's spankings never bothered me. He was calm, collected, and clearly dealing discipline, rather than anger. My grandmother on the other hand? She was an angry woman who abused her grandchildren. She was buried with very few of us attending, as we all took it from her at one time or another.

There are racial, religious, and geographical indicators that suggest people who are black, people who are Christian, and people who live in the South and Midwest, and people who are Republican are more likely to spank than those who fit in other categories, but in the U.S. at least, the majority -- while falling -- still approve of spanking.

BlackJace

I mean, every time I told people I was spanked growing up, they always turn around and say that "my parents should've just talked to me". Keep in mind this was said by white kids a large majority of the time.

J10

Banned
I know people who were spanked who grew up to be douchebags and people who weren't spanked who grew up to be douchebags.

That makes me believe there is douchebag DNA just floating around out there.

JohnDoe

Banned
Fuck "disciplining" your children. On the very few times I really fucked up as a kid I got disciplined and it didn't do shit for me; I didn't give a shit about being physically punished, realizing what horrible thing I had done had much more of an impact on me.
One thing Devo often says about this is quite true; people grow up fine despite being "disciplined" not because of it.

Fuck "disciplining" your children. On the very few times I really fucked up as a kid I got disciplined and it didn't do shit for me; I didn't give a shit about being physically punished, realizing what horrible thing I had done had much more of an impact on me.
One thing Devo often says about this is quite true; people grow up fine despite being "disciplined" not because of it.

I think evidence is pretty clear on hitting, that you're more likely to create bad behavior than you are to stop or prevent it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom