• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreed

Fuck that shit, I am reinventing the grammar game.
Y2afQOA.png

RedSwirl

Tangent: I will admit when it comes to art, I prefer artists who deal with more realistic proportions and depictions. However one artist I like is KR0NPR1NZ; dude's amazing at his craft. I respect artists who take the time to learn the basics and rules before they start breaking/ignoring them. I like that he adds real life touches to his more animu style characters (the slight red to their noses and cheeks since blood tends to pool there, he makes the eye/iris appear round instead of flat like many manga artists tend to do, etc).

This shit is precisely why Hiroaki Samura (Blade of the Immortal) is one of my favorite artists and probably my top manga artist. The dude studied human anatomy (with an actual medical education if I'm not mistaken), so his character designs end up being very realistic, but at the same time he puts his own layer of style on top of them. Overall I prefer artists who do this, striking a balancing act between detailed realism and fantastical opinions.

Actually, I think this and the philosophy behind it is a huge difference between western animation and a lot of anime, and thus one of the central things that makes anime appealing to westerners in the first place. Or at least one of the things that made things like Akira and Ghost in the Shell appealing back in the 80's and 90's. Western animation for the most part pretty much completely throws itself into the idea of animation -- rendering things that aren't real. A lot of anime on the other hand actually tries to follow the rules of live action film, just in an animated and more stylistic form. I think someone on a documentary said western animation tries to be animation first and film second, while most Japanese anime tries to be film first and animation second. When I showed my brother the first Ghost in the Shell movie, he just asked me why it wasn't filmed with real actors.

I actually believe this affect can apply to video games too if you're talking about avoiding the uncanny valley. Too many western games end up aging badly because they try to get as close to photorealism as the current hardware will allow. We know Japanese game visuals are more often based on stylized art and thus tend to age better, but another thing I like is when Japanese games in (somewhat) realistic-looking settings still employ slightly stylized characters, stopping just short of the uncanny valley. Resident Evil and Metal Gear are probably the two best examples I can think of. Metal Gear tries to look somewhat authentic with its military depictions, but everything is still based on Yoji Shinkawa's character designs. Final Fantasy characters from FFX onward are realistically proportioned but aren't trying to look 100% real.

Micheal Cera dropped an album sorta

True That

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. The finger picking on track 3 is pretty nice.

I'm looking at that subreddit shitting on Gaf and this thread specifically. Damn.

iW6KUcyjapo68.gif

I love how creeping on another forum is the highlight of these dudes year

How dare!!! the white people???post in a thread about anything not white people!!!???

The term "Social Justice Warrior" (SJW) came about as a pejorative term to refer to a person who berates other internet users over matters of political correctness, but has since evolved to refer to a specific movement within tech and gaming culture that is based around professional victimhood, intimidation, and the proliferation of falsehoods.

Janey. That's some projection you've got going on there buddies.

OT9 | Pasty White Boy? Welcome!

I mean I would've posted sooner if you guys had had this as the tagline! Way to shut dudes out. :(

This shit is precisely why Hiroaki Samura (Blade of the Immortal) is one of my favorite artists and probably my top manga artist. The dude studied human anatomy (with an actual medical education if I'm not mistaken), so his character designs end up being very realistic, but at the same time he puts his own layer of style on top of them. Overall I prefer artists who do this, striking a balancing act between detailed realism and fantastical opinions.

Actually, I think this and the philosophy behind it is a huge difference between western animation and a lot of anime, and thus one of the central things that makes anime appealing to westerners in the first place. Or at least one of the things that made things like Akira and Ghost in the Shell appealing back in the 80's and 90's. Western animation for the most part pretty much completely throws itself into the idea of animation -- rendering things that aren't real. A lot of anime on the other hand actually tries to follow the rules of live action film, just in an animated and more stylistic form. I think someone on a documentary said western animation tries to be animation first and film second, while most Japanese anime tries to be film first and animation second. When I showed my brother the first Ghost in the Shell movie, he just asked me why it wasn't filmed with real actors.

I actually believe this affect can apply to video games too if you're talking about avoiding the uncanny valley. Too many western games end up aging badly because they try to get as close to photorealism as the current hardware will allow. We know Japanese game visuals are more often based on stylized art and thus tend to age better, but another thing I like is when Japanese games in (somewhat) realistic-looking settings still employ slightly stylized characters, stopping just short of the uncanny valley. Resident Evil and Metal Gear are probably the two best examples I can think of. Metal Gear tries to look somewhat authentic with its military depictions, but everything is still based on Yoji Shinkawa's character designs. Final Fantasy characters from FFX onward are realistically proportioned but aren't trying to look 100% real.

Yea, Samura is definitely an amazing artist. Don't get me wrong, there are mangakas out there who haven't studied much anatomy, but they through either trial and error or natural awareness understand the bare basics of anamoty and they apply it. I hate his writing with an absolute passion, but Oh!Great understands the rules just enough that he can ignore them and still make it work. Where as for example someone like...Liefeld has actively stated he has no intentions of learning anatomy or studying real life because he feels his art is "distnct" and is good as is, and his stalling is evident in his work. Well no even that's wrong, in order to stall/plateau there has to be evidence of improvement. He has never improved in my book. Any improvement has always been in the wrong areas.

Many artists think that learning anatomy/drawing from life is a waste of time and they don't study anything pass basic posing. They wing everything else and reiterate on what they've done correcting mistakes they perceive, ignoring and repeating the ones they don't. One of my favorite artists is Adam Hughes, he taught himself how to draw and paint. He spent much of his learning process studying real life references. So while he never flat out studied anatomy in depth, he was smart enough to realize that the more he studied from life the better his art would be.

I'm looking at that subreddit shitting on Gaf and this thread specifically. Damn.

iW6KUcyjapo68.gif

Instantly thought of this gif
tumblr_inline_mzvm3mSvwN1r2voa3.gif

Also last time i entered this thread a day or two ago i never made some sort of actual introduction to myself lol, hope i can keep up with the thread or any of the future ones. Living in NY and a college student. trying to not mess up and fall through the cracks in life. Cant complain much though i'm privileged enough as it is thankfully. Also 3rd generation Jamaican/ West indies

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Yea, Samura is definitely an amazing artist. Don't get me wrong, there are mangakas out there who haven't studied much anatomy, but they through either trial and error or natural awareness understand the bare basics of anamoty and they apply it. I hate his writing with an absolute passion, but Oh!Great understands the rules just enough that he can ignore them and still make it work. Where as for example someone like...Liefeld has actively stated he has no intentions of learning anatomy or studying real life because he feels his art is "distnct" and is good as is, and his stalling is evident in his work. Well no even that's wrong, in order to stall/plateau there has to be evidence of improvement. He has never improved in my book. Any improvement has always been in the wrong areas.

Many artists think that learning anatomy/drawing from life is a waste of time and they don't study anything pass basic posing. They wing everything else and reiterate on what they've done correcting mistakes they perceive, ignoring and repeating the ones they don't. One of my favorite artists is Adam Hughes, he taught himself how to draw and paint. He spent much of his learning process studying real life references. So while he never flat out studied anatomy in depth, he was smart enough to realize that the more he studied from life the better his art would be.

This all really doesn't apply to just art. Its prevalent in any skill.

I want to bitch about writing and writers doing this in the WORST ways - not gaining any ground in decades. But that'd just be my personal gripe at the moment.

Subscribing to threads is probably the best way to stay active in threads of interest.

This all really doesn't apply to just art. Its prevalent in any skill.

I want to bitch about writing and writers doing this in the WORST ways - not gaining any ground in decades. But that'd just be my personal gripe at the moment.

Oh I know, but he and I were specifically talking about art.

You or dreams need to change avis.

Our avatars are nothing alike other than the fact they're both black girls. I mean it's like me saying you or J10 need to change avatars.

oh psh i know nothing of art other than what i like and don't like

Chances are high you know more than you think. Most people can tell you in a rudimentary way why they like some art/styles versus others. You might lack the art related vocabulary but I'm sure you understand/can explain to others what you like if asked.

Mortemis

Banned
Looking at that shithole subreddit wasn't all loss, it pointed me towards this post by Angelus that I missed.

Wonderful post man, 100% agree. Our problems are always put on the back burner to problems of others in this country and hell even problems outside our country are more important to them then our own. You wrote out my thoughts on the subject very well.

Kreed

Our avatars are nothing alike other than the fact they're both black girls. I mean it's like me saying you or J10 need to change avatars.

Just speaking for myself, but it's the combination of you changing your avatar often and your avatar usually being head shots of women of color (which sadly isn't seen often around here so I've been recognizing this as "your" avatar style). So Dream's avatar threw me off for a minute. But this is just another reason why I should pay attention to names, vs you or Dreams needing to change your avatars.

BHZ Mayor

Just speaking for myself, but it's the combination of you changing your avatar often and your avatar usually being head shots of women of color (which sadly isn't seen often around here so I've been recognizing this as "your" avatar style). So Dream's avatar threw me off for a minute. But this is just another reason why I should pay attention to names, vs you or Dreams needing to change your avatars.

You're not the only one.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125571458&postcount=19101

smh, I thought you were Angelus until Slay quoted you.

I do that all the time with those two.

I also just realized that I fucked up and called Jado Royalan.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125572049&postcount=19106
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125607815&postcount=19163

Damn. I really am part of the problem.

Tell Dreams to go back to his Drow Ranger stanning then. :3

RedSwirl

For some reason when I look at Hughes, I feel like I'm no longer looking at a comic book, but a bunch of photoshopped pictures of real people. I'm not sure I like that look either.

For some reason when I look at Hughes, I feel like I'm no longer looking at a comic book, but a bunch of photoshopped pictures of real people. I'm not sure I like that look either.

That's what I love about Hugh's work. His detail and understanding of light is amazing. Funny thing is if you zoom in close on many of his drawings he's quite loose with the small details.

there are multiple parts of this sentence that should be tagged

lol

Looking at that shithole subreddit wasn't all loss, it pointed me towards this post by Angelus that I missed.

Wonderful post man, 100% agree. Our problems are always put on the back burner to problems of others in this country and hell even problems outside our country are more important to them then our own. You wrote out my thoughts on the subject very well.

That post gave me a perspective I'd never had. As much as I actively oppose racism around the place, when it comes to these kinds of stories I am influenced by living somewhere with a [relatively] gun-free police force like Ireland. It's hard not to blame stuff on the guns and gun culture in the States. At least in this situation, to do that is to deny the root of the problem, and I will try to keep that in mind from now on.

Thanks.

That post gave me a perspective I'd never had. As much as I actively oppose racism around the place, when it comes to these kinds of stories I am influenced by living somewhere with a [relatively] gun-free police force like Ireland. It's hard not to blame stuff on the guns and gun culture in the States. At least in this situation, to do that is to deny the root of the problem, and I will try to keep that in mind from now on.

Thanks.

yes_napoleon_dynamite.gif

Our ranks grow. We now have Ireland among us.

Soon™

Wynnebeck

Banned
I don't want to sound racist, but is it bad I'm rooting for the Chicago LLWS team since this is the first time an international team is going to face an all black team since 1981? South Korea has won the last 10 LLWS. This could be huge.

RedSwirl

**Latest report on what I've seen on TV news talking about Ferguson**

It's definitely fading into the periphery now. Like I said earlier, I only watch CBS, and it's pretty much focusing towards Iraq and the shit weather that's been going on. That said, last night they did do a small thing on how black Ferguson residents have had to deal with bullshit from the police, interviewing local young men. They did a nice closeup on the face of a dude with a trimmed beard and a baseball cap, explaining what he was going to college for (some business/engineering-related thing). It was like five minutes of coverage, but hey.

Jado

Banned

how dare you

I saw some Alpha Protocol talk a few pages back. No idea what that game is but I had the reverse of the usual "see game on sale, click to buy it, find out I already own it." I check my library and what a surprise, I don't have it. Feels like the latter scenario is becoming less common with Steam sales.

Mumei

FEB100064.jpg

Gorgeous stuff. Mine came around a week ago~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom