• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Snitchin Randy
iMsBU7T3qpO1u.png

Hardly, lol. Mumei, shot you a PM.

RedSwirl

Oh, and more news papers (Wapo, NYT, etc.) are actually calling the current movement "civil rights," basically framing it as the sequel to the 1960's movement. I've read more than one article now casting the divide between separate generations of black people and how they choose to fight discrimination.

Mortemis

Banned
Y'all remind me, I got some blade of the immortal volumes a while back but I haven't started it yet. Might as well start reading it now.

Also, I started on Dragon's Dogma. Didn't do much other than the first scene and create my character. Went with strider because bow & arrows, not sure if that was the best decision but I'm rolling with it.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
This shit is precisely why Hiroaki Samura (Blade of the Immortal) is one of my favorite artists and probably my top manga artist. The dude studied human anatomy (with an actual medical education if I'm not mistaken), so his character designs end up being very realistic, but at the same time he puts his own layer of style on top of them. Overall I prefer artists who do this, striking a balancing act between detailed realism and fantastical opinions.

Actually, I think this and the philosophy behind it is a huge difference between western animation and a lot of anime, and thus one of the central things that makes anime appealing to westerners in the first place. Or at least one of the things that made things like Akira and Ghost in the Shell appealing back in the 80's and 90's. Western animation for the most part pretty much completely throws itself into the idea of animation -- rendering things that aren't real. A lot of anime on the other hand actually tries to follow the rules of live action film, just in an animated and more stylistic form. I think someone on a documentary said western animation tries to be animation first and film second, while most Japanese anime tries to be film first and animation second. When I showed my brother the first Ghost in the Shell movie, he just asked me why it wasn't filmed with real actors.

I actually believe this affect can apply to video games too if you're talking about avoiding the uncanny valley. Too many western games end up aging badly because they try to get as close to photorealism as the current hardware will allow. We know Japanese game visuals are more often based on stylized art and thus tend to age better, but another thing I like is when Japanese games in (somewhat) realistic-looking settings still employ slightly stylized characters, stopping just short of the uncanny valley. Resident Evil and Metal Gear are probably the two best examples I can think of. Metal Gear tries to look somewhat authentic with its military depictions, but everything is still based on Yoji Shinkawa's character designs. Final Fantasy characters from FFX onward are realistically proportioned but aren't trying to look 100% real.

Real talk, a lot of games that go for photorealism have absolutely no reason to. These cats keep wanting games to be seen as art when they only embrace a narrow style of it.

I'm still mad Gears of War beat out Okami for best art style in a game. >.>

That out the way, anyone else have their firefox not finishing downloads? Downloaded some gameplay of Witcher 3 and it just hangs at "Few second remaining" with like 1MB left to download. No matter what I do or where I'm downloading a file from it does this. Went on pixiv and the samething; but when I check file integrity they're all done. However if I cancel the download it deletes it leaving the <filename>.part behind. If I rename the file, it tells me I can't because the file is currently in use by Firefox. Looks like I'm going back to Chrome.

RedSwirl

Y'all remind me, I got some blade of the immortal volumes a while back but I haven't started it yet. Might as well start reading it now.

It actually ended in Japan a couple years ago. One group even kept doing scanlations right up until the end. Around that time the guy responsible for even bringing Blade out in English passed away too. I think Dark Horse is two volumes away from capping it off.

RedSwirl

I'm still mad Gears of War beat out Okami for best art style in a game. >.>

While I agree, Gears is actually a pretty good western example of not jumping straight into the valley. Its characters basically look like 90's comic book characters. To some extent it's the same with most of Epic's games. That said, even later into that same console generation Gears 1 already looked like shit. It looked amazing in 2006, but by 2011 it looked like shit compared to Gears 3 (and even Gears 2), and today even Gears 3 looks like shit.

What's funny is, Crysis 1 on vanilla settings is only now beginning to look like shit... seven years after it came out.

Mortemis

Banned
It actually ended in Japan a couple years ago. One group even kept doing scanlations right up until the end. Around that time the guy responsible for even bringing Blade out in English passed away too. I think Dark Horse is two volumes away from capping it off.

I got a couple dark horse volumes, but they never finished it? That sucks to hear.

Couldn't stand anything about Gears' art style, it's the same shit Epic has been using since the company's inception. Gears was basically that shit art style + normal maps.EVERYWHERE. Coupled with a horrible cobbled together lighting system because they couldn't get Lightmass working so they took it out completely and replaced it with...well shit (which is why the game has aged like shit, that and that horrible art style).

And everyone went fucking bananas when the game came out, hailing it as the best graphics. EVER

hypernima

Banned
Ight BCTGAF, I probably will be internetless for a while as I try to find a solid place to live in a new city.

See ya'll round if I can't snipe some wi-fi on my travels.

Imm0rt4l

Any of y'all got that friend in your squad that stays cock blocking? One of my friends is a habitual cock blocker. I tell my boys we gotta have an intervention as this guy has done this shit for years. Just a few weeks ago I got a room for my birthday for the squad down on the strip. One of my guys had a girl he wanted to bring up and the cockblock was like "nah fuck that noise"(motherfucker this ain't even your room dafuq you objecting to the homie getting his for?). One time I was making out with this dancer at a house party, sir cock-block-alot came into me and her space to insert herself into our conversation and kiss her, I was dumbstruck but I got the digits so whatever. On another occassion the guy in question brought a girl with him to this bar, this girl knows all of me and the homies. She was not feeling dude and wanted to go back to my partners place. Not wanting to be cuckolded this mother fucker says out loud "Really dude?! So I bring the hoes and you fuck them!?". Motherfucker went nuclear. If he aint gettin none, NOBODY IS. Needless to say the girl was upset as was my partner, no boots were knockes that night. You might ask why nobody says anything. Maybe we haven't confronted him because we're afraid of being cockblocked out of existence, his cockblock game is so far reaching he might be able to stop my ever being conceived . For real this dude could single handedly have prevented wwII with his skills. If this guy was an x-men he'd be the most powerful one of them all, professor cockblock.

Imm0rt4l

Ight BCTGAF, I probably will be internetless for a while as I try to find a solid place to live in a new city.

My bad i said id be around to play sf but been busy. I guess ill catch you when you get internet again

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

good luck bro

Any of y'all got that friend in your squad that stays cock blocking? One of my friends is a habitual cock blocker. I tell my boys we gotta have an intervention as this guy has done this shit for years. Just a few weeks ago I got a room for my birthday for the squad down on the strip. One of my guys had a girl he wanted to bring up and the cockblock was like "nah fuck that noise"(motherfucker this ain't even your room dafuq you objecting to the homie getting his for?). One time I was making out with this dancer at a house party, sir cock-block-alot came into me and her space to insert herself into our conversation and kiss her, I was dumbstruck but I got the digits so whatever. On another occassion the guy in question brought a girl with him to this bar, this girl knows all of me and the homies. She was not feeling dude and wanted to go back to my partners place. Not wanting to be cuckolded this mother fucker says out loud "Really dude?! So I bring the hoes and you fuck them!?". Motherfucker went nuclear. If he aint gettin none, NOBODY IS. Needless to say the girl was upset as was my partner, no boots were knockes that night. You might ask why nobody says anything. Maybe we haven't confronted him because we're afraid of being cockblocked out of existence, his cockblock game is so far reaching he might be able to stop my ever being conceived . For real this dude could single handedly have prevented wwII with his skills. If this guy was an x-men he'd be the most powerful one of them all, professor cockblock.

i have a friend who does similar shit. was always on that "bros before hoes" shit when he was single, but the moment he gets a woman hes in everyones face with her. then steps to other dudes ladies knowing damn well theyre in a relationship. i dont fuck with him much anymore. i hate that shifty joe bullshit

jesus christ

slap some sense into him

yes_napoleon_dynamite.gif

Our ranks grow. We now have Ireland among us.

Soon&#8482;

Influence expanding across the world.

But then again, i payed full price for ghosts pc, so thats a massive L there.

Oh god it really is. I'll never live that down in my own mind, let alone anyone else's. That community dropoff...not to mention the level 1 proximity mines. And the lag was no joke either. Shame, because it was (I think) the first FPS game to have the default multiplayer avatar be a woman.

I don't want to sound racist, but is it bad I'm rooting for the Chicago LLWS team since this is the first time an international team is going to face an all black team since 1981? South Korea has won the last 10 LLWS. This could be huge.

Was I sexist for wanting Mo'Ne Davis to keep throwing hot fire? I got your back. I hope Chicago wins, too.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
the new one? Everyone I trust said it sucked.

it doesn't suck

but its filled with dumb shit. its enjoyable though. but there's like... a space between tearsinmyeyesamazing and worstdayofmylifemoviekilledmyparents that many have yet to discover

i enjoyed watching it - when things were happening. but there's a LOT of just waltzing around by shitty actors. i wouldn't call it a top 3 movie of the summer but it isn't 'terrible' by any means

Slayven

it doesn't suck

but its filled with dumb shit. its enjoyable though. but there's like... a space between tearsinmyeyesamazing and worstdayofmylifemoviekilledmyparents that many have yet to discover

i enjoyed watching it - when things were happening. but there's a LOT of just waltzing around by shitty actors. i wouldn't call it a top 3 movie of the summer but it isn't 'terrible' by any means
Sounds like the old Godzilla movies.
I heard hey pull the rope a dope with
the breaking bad dude only being in it for a few minutes

Slayven

I dunno about all that. I think Star Wars is garbage though.

None of them are "great" movies, enjoyable but not the gifts from heaven that the first 3 are propped up to be. But those star wars nerd be ready to fight over that shit.

They made a documentary, and there is going to be a sequel.

6a00d8341c630a53ef013484d143e6970c-400wi.jpg

I wanna see the new Godzilla. Dealing with shit at the time and couldnt break away to the theater.

But anywho Guardians is still my runner up movie of the summer. The first goes to TWS. But I am a Cap fanboy so I am biased. Rise of the Planet of the Apes aka Bubbles got a Glock was good as well. But the biggest offender thus far is the travesty that is Sin City A dame to kill for. I love Noir. I really do. But goddamn it was a turd. It was 7 years too damn late. There was a few moments that stood out but in all honesty that shit was like watching community theater with PSX graphics and poses. That shit was like the original american intro to Biohazard/Resident Evil. With that shitastic opening intro. A lot of critics were saying Eva Green was a redeeming quality. She was naked. Thats it. Her performance was fucking dialed in and so damn ham fisted I thought it was a spoof. It was way over the top. The best scene in the movie was the confrontation between Marv and Manute. But even though I didnt like the movie, I saw it with friends and we were cracking jokes the WHOLE fucking time. Everytime Dennis Haysbert was on the screen trying to emulate Michael Clarke Duncan, I was quoting goddamn Allstate commercials. Every time he finished a sentence, "Are you in good hands?" Theater was rolling. And every sex scene was like they all went to the school of fucking like Aquaman. Its like they were floundering in the nookie. And Jessica Fuckin Alba. The absolute worst film stripper ive scene period. I understand no nudity clauses. But its not that. Its her non dancing ass. I mean she was in fucking Honey. She knows something. I mean a little. But my god, she was just floundering on stage like a goddamn Wednesday broad. You know what a Wednesday broad is. C-section Scars, bullet wounds and stretch marks that look like topographical maps. She was dancing like them. Not giving a good god damn. It was a bad movie. Plain and simple. And before anyone else mentions goddamn Eva Green and her mammaries. If I wanna look at titties, i got the goddamn internet. They are not that spectacular. In character yes. But i dont give a damn. She was much better in Penny Dreadful.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
i only want to see it because i love the style

the first sin city was dumb too

Kreed

Sounds like the old Godzilla movies.
I heard hey pull the rope a dope with
the breaking bad dude only being in it for a few minutes

This is what made things worse about the non Godzilla scenes IMO. Having to wait and wait and wait for the Godzilla fights would have been much more tolerable if the lead actor had been his character. He was much more interesting during the small time he was on screen vs the actual lead.

J10

Banned
When Batman V Superman makes a billion dollars in March 2016 are we gonna move the summer forward even further? Gotta draw the line somewhere. It's better if the summer isn't jam packed with all this shit anyway.

Slayven

When Batman V Superman makes a billion dollars in March 2016 are we gonna move the summer forward even further? Gotta draw the line somewhere. It's better if the summer isn't jam packed with all this shit anyway.

Hollywood been trying to stretch out summer for years.

Nakazato

Found out my aunt died last night. Mom is distraught I'm not doing much better. I was taking leave for surgery in Thursday look like I'll be starting it today. The shock as left but the pain of losing someone I was close to and was there when ever I needed to talk.

Going to miss her.

Slayven

Found out my aunt died last night. Mom is distraught I'm not doing much better. I was taking leave for surgery in Thursday look like I'll be starting it today. The shock as left but the pain of losing someone I was close to and was there when ever I needed to talk.

Going to miss her.

Sorry to hear that man, take care.

PSN ddos'd again and I'm not even sweating it...then again I still have a PS3 and pretty much everyone on my list has moved on.

Going to miss her.

Terrible news =(

You have my condolences

Jado

Banned
seriously. this ain't anything new. summer =/= calender summer. it means type of movie, intended draw, etc more and more these days

Independence Day more or less started the summer blockbuster thing and it came out in July 2, 1995. Men in Black was also early July 1997. I'm not sure which film did it first, but I distinctly remember Spider-Man "3 May" ads in 2002 and thinking how damn early that was and that the summer movie season had grown a lot to be starting a full 2 months before the usual. I think that movie standardized the trend.

Going to miss her.
I know that feeling of losing someone. Stay strong man.

Going to miss her.

My condolences for your loss. If you need to vent my brother we here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom