• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky

Banned
aight ninja gaiden sigma 3 fan

tumblr_nazpom43n61rfnzrao1_250.gif

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
"Trapped inside of every white girl is a strong black woman ready to bust out."

Apparently Lifetime has a new show called Girlfriend Intervention which is basically Queer Eye for the Straight guy except it's four black women giving a makeover to a white woman.

Are you a black woman? You might find this offensive. Are you a white woman? You might find this offensive. Are you neither? You might be thinking at this point that you're lucky to be left out of the entire thing. (Be aware, though, that no one is safe. Near the end of the first episode, Thomas exaggeratedly compliments the hotness of the made-over white woman by yelling, "Muy caliente, salsa picante mucho!")
The four makeover makers are Tracy Balan on beauty, Nikki Chu on "home and sanctuary," Tiffiny Dixon on fashion, and many-many-many-time reality star Tanisha Thomas (most notably of Oxygen's Bad Girls Club) as your — this is real — "soul coach." Thomas lays out her philosophy early in the first episode, saying that black women are taught that no matter what else is going on in your life, "as long as you look fabulous, that's all that matters." On the other hand, she says, "with Caucasian women, you get married, you marry the man of your dreams, you have his children, and now it's time to stop taking care of you? Girl, I missed that memo."

I'm all for promoting the beauty and strength inherent in black women, but from what I've read about this show and the clips I've seen it really seems over the top reinforcing of stereotypes while completely glossing over underlying racial issues. Maybe it's just meant to be fun and so ridiculous that it is laughable? What do you guys & girls think?

Clips here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD0c2GQWBdY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F27E2HwYoZA

akira28

cornrows and stripper heels for all? I'm ok with this. Somehow I don't think these sista girls are what I'm imagining though.

Got my wish in a matter of hours.

So now there's a Slate article about this and actor Adam Baldwin (Firefly, The Last Ship) publicly supported the TFYC indiegogo and also talked ill about people who took Zoe Quinn's position in this whole mess.

hqdefault.jpg

The popcorn... i'll be needing costco sized buckets.

KumaJG

Sasuke and Naruto highfived and created a moon.

Not over yet.
We about to see the Naruto vs Sasuke fight.
After that it is over.

Aight.

A little while ago I read a newspaper article talking about how the part of the country in which I currently live has a high life expectancy (or something average for the US) or something like that, and then drew a comparison to another area 100 miles down the road in West Virginia that had the same average life expectancy as Iraq. I haven't looked up the place where my extended family lives, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't much higher there. I got people in my family dying in their 50's from, frankly, preventable shit. Usually massive strokes. At some points in my childhood I probably considered it inevitable that people got strokes when they got old.

I may have talked about this in a previous OT, but what are you guys' old people like? When I went to my nephew's last birthday party I ended up having a conversation with my sister in-law's grandmother who was like 84, and honestly I was just flabbergasted to be having a conversation with an 84-year-old person -- who could actually move around under their own power. I think basically everyone I know above 70 is knee deep in some form of dementia or Alzheimer's. Pretty much every time my parents have a conversation with their siblings it starts to center on taking care of their parents or other siblings and complaining about the treatment they're getting in the home.

I think stuff like this is why my uncle ended up becoming a doctor. There's a whole PDF article I read on people like him trying to improve the problem in the south. Of course that leads into a whole other host of problems for my uncle who I think is basically the only black doctor where he lives.

My grandmother in her early 70s. She exercising 2-3 times and doesn't smoke. Only problem is she got a bad hip(had 2 surgeries on the same hip if I remember correctly). Other than that she in great shape. She easily look younger than her actual age. Maybe that why I look younger than I am.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I did actually enjoy QE, so it could just be quality entertainment. NPR article certainly paints it in a pretty negative light, but I guess I'd have to watch an entire episode to form a solid opinion.

J10

Banned

Apparently Lifetime has a new show called Girlfriend Intervention which is basically Queer Eye for the Straight guy except it's four black women giving a makeover to a white woman.

I'm all for promoting the beauty and strength inherent in black women, but from what I've read about this show and the clips I've seen it really seems over the top reinforcing of stereotypes while completely glossing over underlying racial issues. Maybe it's just meant to be fun and so ridiculous that it is laughable? What do you guys & girls think?

Clips here:

This was a thing a couple months ago, only it was white gays instead of white women.

We discussed it here.

Cat

Clips here:

I read about that too but on Slate ( http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat..._sassy_black_friend_a_favorite_hollywood.html ) where the article brought up similar past examples.

But of course Girlfriend Intervention is hardly the first show to reduce black women to neck-rolling, attitude-having, innately stylish stereotypes. When Hollywood has bothered to provide roles for black actresses at all, it has often presented them as sidekicks who whip important white protagonists into shape. Sometimes this stereotype is deployed harmlessly; at other times it becomes downright offensive. With that in mind, here is a catalog of notable past instances of the sassy black friend-as-white person’s (usually unpaid, mind you) life coach, from the benign to the egregious, and beyond.

SFO. Hadn't been back in a while, and I'm moving through on my way to PAX w/2 Japanese coworkers. Didn't know you're not allowed to wait for people or use your phone in baggage claim anymore, so I got booted and had to wait for a half hour without being able to contact them to make sure they got through ok or let them know I picked up our promo stuff.

And of course the usual slow as shit security checkpoints with people trying to sneak shit by

Jado

Banned
I read about that too but on Slate ( http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat..._sassy_black_friend_a_favorite_hollywood.html ) where the article brought up similar past examples.

Does anyone have a similar article/list about impotent/asexual blacks and other minorities in movies where the white lead is the only one getting plenty of action? Or if he's the co-lead with a white woman, never once do they so much as imply any romance or sexual tension with her (as is extremely common with white man + woman of any background).

In the past, I've raised the point above that there's an overwhelming number of white/white couples in movies and TV, and so-called diversity only extends to white man/woman of color... and GAF threw a fucking fit. I see it all the time, but I have nothing compiled at the moment to show.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have a similar article/list about impotent/asexual blacks and other minorities in movies where the white lead is getting plenty of action? Or if he's the co-lead with a white woman, never once do they so much as imply any romance or sexual tension with her (as is extremely common with white man + woman of any background).

In the past, I've raised the point above that there's an overwhelming number of white/white and so-called diversity only extends to white man/woman of color... and GAF threw a fucking fit. I see it all the time, but I have nothing compiled at the moment to show.

Wasn't Clarissa Explains it All like this? Or something...? I never watched it but I remember hearing people revisit it and were feeling something.

On the plane and a woman asked a father to trade his aisle seat across from his wife and kid so she wouldn't have to sit in a middle seat and he was cool with it. The woman took the seat before they got on so she felt like it was hers or something

Lightweight scust

And when did it become ok to put bags in any random open slot, regardless of where your seat is?

Shaking my fist at clouds today

jWILL253

Banned
Does anyone have a similar article/list about impotent/asexual blacks and other minorities in movies where the white lead is the only one getting plenty of action? Or if he's the co-lead with a white woman, never once do they so much as imply any romance or sexual tension with her (as is extremely common with white man + woman of any background).

In the past, I've raised the point above that there's an overwhelming number of white/white couples in movies and TV, and so-called diversity only extends to white man/woman of color... and GAF threw a fucking fit. I see it all the time, but I have nothing compiled at the moment to show.

You should start a thread on this.

harSon

Banned

Asians in general are pretty asexual in Hollywood films. Romeo Must Die is pretty famous for this. Harold & Kumar and The Walking Dead definitely broke that trend though.

It's a weird situation. The prime example is Denzel Washington. In the Pelican Brief novel, the two leads get together. In the Pelican Brief movie, this doesn't happen because the leads are Denzel Washington and Julia Roberts. Denzel never has sex in the movie if his opposite is a white woman. The supposed reason is that if he had a romance with a white woman on film, his main audience, black women, would have a fit. Yes, this time the blame is placed on black women, not white Hollywood. And most black male leads over the age of 30 have followed the Denzel example, except for when the black/white relationship is the point (Jungle Fever).

Otherwise, white writers creating white films with white directors and white producers for a white audience lead to white leads, with women of color providing "spicy", "exotic" romance when white women become boring.

Asians in general are pretty asexual in Hollywood films. Romeo Must Die is pretty famous for this. Harold & Kumar and The Walking Dead definitely broke that trend though.
Don't forget:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Memoirs of a Geisha
Man with the Iron Fists
Old Boy

...and like every episode of Hawaii Five-0 ever. I assume there are plenty more, but I can't say I've seen a lot of movies with asian men or women in them in awhile.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's a weird situation. The prime example is Denzel Washington. In the Pelican Brief novel, the two leads get together. In the Pelican Brief movie, this doesn't happen because the leads are Denzel Washington and Julia Roberts. Denzel never has sex in the movie if his opposite is a white woman. The supposed reason is that if he had a romance with a white woman on film, his main audience, black women, would have a fit. Yes, this time the blame is placed on black women, not white Hollywood. And most black male leads over the age of 30 have followed the Denzel example, except for when the black/white relationship is the point (Jungle Fever).

Otherwise, white writers creating white films with white directors and white producers for a white audience lead to white leads, with women of color providing "spicy", "exotic" romance when white women become boring.

Jackie Brown with Pam Grier and Robert Forster is interesting and worth looking at as well, especially considering Tarantino changed the main character from a white woman in the books to Pam Grier. Pretty excellent stuff. Goddamn I loved that movie.

Gorillaz

There was a kissing scene between Aaliyah and Jet Li but didnt test well apparently in some crowds

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Happens all the time in cartoons. Like in teen titans both the white boy and the green boy had romantic implications with the other female teammates. Cyborg tho...

Jado

Banned
You should start a thread on this.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860362&highlight=dear+white+people&page=4

Start reading the thread from there. I'm not creating a thread on this topic until I have ironclad proof to ward off the shit posts posts from butthurt white guys.

Exactly, it's bullshit. Morgan Freeman and Monica Potter in Along Came a Spider is another example I always remember. It's based on a novel:

Alex Cross: An African-American forensic psychologist as well as a detective, described as good-looking and well-built. He is often referred to as "Doctor Detective." Despite being very dedicated to his job, he manages to be a devoted father to his two children. His wife, Maria, was killed in a shooting before the novel begins and he is romantically involved with Jezzie Flannagan before he finds out her role in Maggie Rose's disappearance.

Jezzie Flannagan: Before the kidnapping of Maggie Rose and Michael Goldberg, she held an esteemed position in the Secret Service—the first woman ever to hold the position. She is described as very beautiful, though she confides in Alex that she wishes she'd been born plain so she wouldn't have to face as much sexism in her workplace. As a white woman romantically involved with Alex (an African-American man), she faces racism, though she handles it better than Alex does. Both her parents were alcoholics, and her father committed suicide. She names them as "smart failures," or brilliant people who never made anything of their lives. When Alex confronts her about her betrayal, she admits that she approached him at first strictly to get information on what the cops knew, but that she later fell in love with him and his children.

None of the sexual relationship is present in the movie. I didn't even know until I read about it in an article criticizing the movie's version of Alex Cross basically having no dick. What's the excuse here? Morgan Freeman doesn't have expectations from throngs of women of any race.

Mortemis

Banned
I remember hearing some about some sort of drama with Hitch, and how producers didn't want a white actress starring with Will Smith but didn't want two black actors so they got Eva Mendes. Can't remember for shit where I got that from.

But yeah, Hollywood is definitely not keen on wanting a minority actor starring with a white actress in anything romantic.

Jado

Banned
Elba nailed Charlize Theron in Prometheus!

No, he did not. This is another one of my go-to examples. The two white co-leads are shown being intimate and kissing several times. Elba and Theron imply from 20 feet apart that they're gonna go have sex and it "happens" off camera.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Romeo must die was pretty bad but I think The One was worse. Jet li is awkward in general when it comes to on screen romance.

cdyhybrid

No, he did not. This is another one of my go-to examples. The two white co-leads are shown being intimate and kissing several times. Elba and Theron imply from 20 feet apart that they're gonna go have sex and it "happens" off camera.

I never said they showed it :p

jWILL253

Banned
You know, sometimes I kinda wish it was a subconscious thing.

It's kinda difficult to believe that Hollywood intentionality goes out of their way to demasculate lead minority roles whenever the co-lead isn't also a minority.

KumaJG

Fake asses are on the rise....still not sure how I feel about them.

I hate fake asses, fake anything really. I am a let me play patty cake with you A size knockers type of person.

Do Man On Fire, Deliver Us From Eva and Look Who’s Coming to Dinner fit what you looking for? You could probably add most of Jackie Chan movies as well lol.

Question: Why asian women and black women have opposite stereotypes?

On the plane and a woman asked a father to trade his aisle seat across from his wife and kid so she wouldn't have to sit in a middle seat and he was cool with it. The woman took the seat before they got on so she felt like it was hers or something

Lightweight scust

And when did it become ok to put bags in any random open slot, regardless of where your seat is?

Shaking my fist at clouds today

Poor Labor :(

Ya'll done mess up and push Slayven over the edge. Fresh out of the hyperbolic time chamber. Slay about hit ya'll with a month charge of a spirit bomb and that ol faithful Kamehameha Wave.

BwIJU8NCIAEQg2g.jpg:small

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom